PDA

View Full Version : NFL Regular Season 2012

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Andrew Longman
09-25-12, 06:56 PM
Officiating is crap - seriously bad calls.
But I think the players are taking some liberties here too. Look at the the refs are noextracurricular shenanigans lately. I blame the officiating for not stopping it, but the players and coaches haven't been without sin.To a point. If the refs are not going to enforce the rules the players will. If you I threaten their health or their ability to perform at a level that enables them to keep their jobs, and the refs do not stop it, they will take it to you. Can't blame them.

Rex, You have the rule in this matter correct but it is even more simple. The receiver can't have possession if there is a defender between him and the ball. Putting your arms around the defender and ball at the same time is not possession, simulanious or otherwise.

Rex Karz
09-25-12, 07:45 PM
How many screwups were there on this one play?

1) A missed an offensive pass interference.

2) Both refs were either "out of position" or, to be charitable, "did not move to the scene of the action with the necessary due haste."

3) One ref gave a touchdown signal, the other a time out (presumably for a touchback).

4) The head ref did not immediately confer with these two refs, but instead went to the replay booth.

The only guy, I think we can't rake over the coals on this was the replay official who, I read, was a regular NFL replay official. To reverse a call on the field (which in this case, we assume, was the touchdown call), requires the indisputable proof as seen on the replay. To be honest, I don't think there was any indisputable proof on the replay of a simultaneous possession, an interception, a completed pass, or an even incomplete pass. Hence, the on field call stood.

When's the next NFL game? I think there's one Thursday night.

Are you ready for some . . . . bad officiating?

nrc
09-25-12, 09:47 PM
When's the next NFL game? I think there's one Thursday night.

Are you ready for some . . . . bad officiating?

Browns/Ravens Thursday night. Based on the results of the Bengals/Ravens and Bengals/Browns games we can expect something like this...

Y77n--Af1qo

Gnam
09-25-12, 11:08 PM
We are all Raider fans now.
This is how they feel about all the refs all the time. :D

I hate Pete Caroll so very, very much. The 49ers should spot him 7 points so the refs don't have to.

That said, the refs didn't sack Rodgers 8 times. The Packers left it close enough for Seattle to steal it.

dando
09-26-12, 09:35 AM
Browns/Ravens Thursday night. Based on the results of the Bengals/Ravens and Bengals/Browns games we can expect something like this...

:rofl:

-Kevin

dando
09-26-12, 09:38 AM
Ruling stands (as expected). (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8423928/nfl-statement-says-refs-made-right-call-end-game-green-bay-packers-seattle-seahawks)

The league provided information stating that Lance Easley had four years of officiating experience, none above the Division III level. That revelation comes after the league said Seattle's last-second touchdown pass should not have been overturned but conceded that Seahawks receiver Golden Tate should have been called for offensive pass interference before the catch.

In a related development, the league's meetings Tuesday with representatives of locked-out officials lasted until 2 a.m. Wednesday in an attempt to resolve the impasse, and negotiations are expected to resume later in the day, sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen. However, the sources also said the two sides have gone as far as they can go in the talks.

On the flight home, Packers guard T.J. Lang said players debated going on strike or taking a knee on every play in upcoming games if the replacement referee issue isn't solved, according to 97.1 The Ticket.

"Whatever it takes, it's just a total embarrassment to everybody watching the game, the players in the game, it's not fun to be part of something like that. ... If it keeps going on, it's going to get ugly," Lang said during a Tuesday afternoon interview on the "Valenti & Foster Show."

:shakehead

-Kevin

SteveH
09-26-12, 11:16 AM
http://i46.tinypic.com/vmrksz.jpg

devilmaster
09-26-12, 12:53 PM
Lang said during a Tuesday afternoon interview on the "Valenti & Foster Show."

Its detroit-centric, but Valenti and Foster is a great show IMHO.... Listen to it whenever I have the chance....

Don Quixote
09-26-12, 01:05 PM
Imagine paying $100 a seat and driving half way across the state to see both teams take a knee for the entire game. That would be almost as bad as watching the last play on the Monday night game over and over again.

Elmo T
09-26-12, 02:06 PM
As my oldest pointed out this AM, perhaps the replacements were working for the real refs all along. :rolleyes:

chop456
09-26-12, 02:25 PM
Imagine paying $100 a seat and driving half way across the state to see both teams take a knee for the entire game. That would be almost as bad as watching the last play on the Monday night game over and over again.

Can you imagine if that happened in Cleveland? Fans storm out of the stadium, ransacking the downtown area, looting and burning down everything in sight? You're talking potentially thousands of dollars in damage.

Don Quixote
09-26-12, 03:36 PM
Can you imagine if that happened in Cleveland? Fans storm out of the stadium, ransacking the downtown area, looting and burning down everything in sight? You're talking potentially thousands of dollars in damage.:rofl: :rofl: Hundreds, maybe.

dando
09-26-12, 04:14 PM
:rofl: :rofl: Hundreds, maybe.

Based on the comments from my Cleveburg-based 'brotherhood' e-mail group, there were more Bills fans than Clowns fan by the end of the game. :saywhat: :laugh:

-Kevin

Napoleon
09-26-12, 04:25 PM
Can you imagine if that happened in Cleveland? Fans storm out of the stadium, ransacking the downtown area, looting and burning down everything in sight? You're talking potentially thousands of dollars in damage.

We will just use all that political ad money that has been pouring into the city the last 6 months to rebuild.

Rex Karz
09-26-12, 06:21 PM

Wouldn't that be an improvement for downtown Cleveland?

nrc
09-27-12, 12:12 AM
Ref thing fixed.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000066725/article/nfl-referees-union-agree-to-end-lockout?module=HP11_headline_stack

Reportedly the sticking point was eight new signals demanded by Ed Hochuli.

SteveH
09-27-12, 12:24 AM

stroker
09-27-12, 07:48 AM
I have a feeling Las Vegas had something to do with the speedy resolution...

dando
09-27-12, 09:38 AM
I have a feeling Las Vegas had something to do with the speedy resolution...

Perhaps some arms where twisted, but the social network outcry helped as well. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Napoleon
09-27-12, 09:40 AM
Reportedly the sticking point was eight new signals demanded by Ed Hochuli.

I had to use the Google and the intertubes to figure out that joke.

nrc
09-27-12, 10:18 AM
I had to use the Google and the intertubes to figure out that joke.

It may have made no sense if the image wasn't showing up. Fixed it. :)

NHQZfBqP10M

Personally not a fan. I'm swayed by Dave Lapam's view that he makes calls just to flex his guns for the camera.

"As soon as I heard the rumors today, I got down on the floor and started doing pushups.”

Andrew Longman
09-27-12, 11:03 AM
Perhaps some arms where twisted, but the social network outcry helped as well. :thumbup:

-KevinI read somewhere that 70,000 voicemails were left at NFLHQ too. Hard to even order in lunch when the phone is that tied up.

stroker
09-27-12, 02:06 PM

-Kevin

Anybody have a horse missing a head?

:D

Insomniac
09-28-12, 02:04 PM
It definitely jumped up a new level after Monday night. Everyone was talking about it. I don't think could risk that happening again with replacements. To mess up after replay on a truly game deciding play (no butterfly effect) is really, really bad.

dando
10-03-12, 02:03 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8456264/canadian-gino-difelice-won-725k-seattle-seahawks-mnf-win

:laugh: :saywhat:

-Kevin

Insomniac
10-04-12, 09:39 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8456264/canadian-gino-difelice-won-725k-seattle-seahawks-mnf-win

:laugh: :saywhat:

-Kevin

What is this? Wouldn't it make sense to buy every possible combination?

15 games = 32,768 combinations. $5 each = $163,840. Win $750k.

Rogue Leader
10-04-12, 04:23 PM
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/04/nhl-cancels-first-two-weeks-of-the-schedule/related/

Here we go again.....

stroker
10-04-12, 07:35 PM
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/04/nhl-cancels-first-two-weeks-of-the-schedule/related/

Here we go again.....

Will anyone notice?

cameraman
10-04-12, 09:01 PM
The players are leaving for Europe in droves.

nrc
10-05-12, 07:07 PM
If you thought Hartline's path to his current place as the NFL's leading wide receiver (455 yards through four games) was only unlikely because he's a little-known white guy catching passes from a rookie quarterback, then you have no idea just how insanely winding these past few months have been.

Are they allowed to say that? :saywhat:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000074634/article/brian-hartline-took-painful-path-to-become-nfls-leading-receiver?module=HP11_content_stream

Gnam
10-14-12, 04:26 PM
Toby Gerhart feels his pain.

http://imageshack.us/a/img69/8757/13211.png

Gnam
10-14-12, 04:34 PM
49ers trying to host a Super Bowl at their new stadium in 2016.

But hard feelings about the new stadium persist among current fans. US Senator from California, and former SF mayor, Diane Feinstein calls them the "Santa Clara Microchips."

http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/diaz/article/S-F-bids-to-be-host-city-for-Super-Bowl-3946979.php

Feels similar to hard feelings toward an ex. You don't want them to do well without you. ;)

Don Quixote
10-14-12, 07:59 PM
The Bengals are the NFL's premier slumpbusters. :gomer:

Elmo T
10-15-12, 09:11 AM
The "Fire Andy Reid" drumbeats are strong this AM.

Time's yours, Andy Reid, to step up (http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20121014_Times_yours__Andy_Reid__to_step_up_or_shu t_up.html)

And a line for Kevin to enjoy:

Lurie should commission Disney's Imagineers to build an animatronic Reid that mumbles, "We all have to do better" and "That's my responsibility" the way the fake Lincoln in the Hall of Presidents recites the Gettysburg Address.

WickerBill
10-15-12, 09:46 AM
That isn't the real Lincoln?? :eek:

Don Quixote
10-15-12, 10:20 AM
That isn't the real Lincoln?? :eek:The voice is. Digitally recorded.

Racing Truth
10-15-12, 12:41 PM

:thumbup::thumbup:;)

Hi Dando & nrc!
:waves: :runs:

nrc
10-15-12, 01:58 PM

There's no denying that when they've lost to inferior teams the last couple of weeks. :irked:

dando
10-15-12, 02:17 PM
:thumbup::thumbup:;)

Hi Dando & nrc!
:waves: :runs:

:p

-Kevin

dando
10-15-12, 02:21 PM
The "Fire Andy Reid" drumbeats are strong this AM.

Time's yours, Andy Reid, to step up (http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20121014_Times_yours__Andy_Reid__to_step_up_or_shu t_up.html)

And a line for Kevin to enjoy:

:thumbup: :D

-Kevin

stroker
10-15-12, 04:04 PM
US Senator from California, and former SF mayor, Diane Feinstein calls them the "Santa Clara Microchips."

Does anyone actually give a crap what she says or thinks? :shakehead:laugh:

Gnam
10-15-12, 05:47 PM
Politicians, even popular ones, usually avoid attacking the local sports teams. In 1996 everyone was complaining about a backup quarterback until the Mayor piled on. Then everyone started complaining about the Mayor.

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/11/17/sports/mayor-apologizes.html?ref=elvisgrbac

dando
10-15-12, 07:37 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8509069/ray-lewis-lardarius-webb-baltimore-ravens-season

My FFL team is screwed. :cry:

-Kevin

WickerBill
10-15-12, 10:04 PM
Still better than starting Tebow.... /Peyton

WickerBill
10-16-12, 06:07 AM
I mean it, yo.

cameraman
10-16-12, 11:42 AM
up 24-0 and they still lose:saywhat:

Elmo T
10-16-12, 12:12 PM
"Juan down, one to go" is making the rounds locally.... :rofl:

The Eagles fired defensive coordinator Juan Castillo Tuesday and replaced him with defensive backs coach Todd Bowles. (http://www.phillyburbs.com/sports/eagles/eagles-fire-castillo-promote-bowles/article_f356ebf3-5901-5723-be98-af1e293b28fd.html)

Don Quixote
10-16-12, 12:13 PM
Manning on one side, and Rivers with 4 ints on the other. What can I say? Broncos D is not good enough to take them to the promised land.

extramundane
10-16-12, 12:18 PM
"Juan down, one to go" is making the rounds locally.... :rofl:

The Eagles fired defensive coordinator Juan Castillo Tuesday and replaced him with defensive backs coach Todd Bowles. (http://www.phillyburbs.com/sports/eagles/eagles-fire-castillo-promote-bowles/article_f356ebf3-5901-5723-be98-af1e293b28fd.html)

Yep, that'll teach the dogkiller to not turn the ball over. :shakehead :rofl:

Don Quixote
10-16-12, 12:58 PM

http://i.imgur.com/krU4J.gif

Andrew Longman
10-17-12, 01:10 AM
Yep, that'll teach the dogkiller to not turn the ball over. :shakehead :rofl:
Really.

As a Giants fan this is good news.

I feel bad for Castillo. He is a good success story.

WickerBill
10-18-12, 07:38 AM
What do all of you (Ohioans mostly) think of the new Browns ownership? Good thing or bad thing?

chop456
10-18-12, 07:41 AM
What's the worst case scenario? They won't be as good? :laugh:

dando
10-18-12, 08:20 AM
What do all of you (Ohioans mostly) think of the new Browns ownership? Good thing or bad thing?

From the Clowns fans I know, the sentiment is fairly positive. What Cleveland fans really want for for Dolan to sell the Tribe to someone who will actually spend $$$ on the team.

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
10-18-12, 10:49 AM
What Cleveland fans really want for for Dolan to sell the Tribe to someone who will actually spend $$$ on the team.

-KevinBut then they would be just like the Yankees whose only apparent crime is to pour profits back into the team year after year. ;)

But I agree it is more fun to follow a team with ownership that expects to win every year and will commit what they think is necessary to do it. That's much better than just collecting gate revenues and leaving the fans with not much more than their naive hope that they might get lucky this year.

In a given year, if the Yankees don't win, it almost never is because the ownership wanted to keep money in his pocket.

Napoleon
10-18-12, 10:50 AM

For me the guy has a southern twang so I think he should be run out of town. In general he has gotten good press and of course everyone is hopeful he is a change for the good. There is nothing obviously wrong with him like a Dan Snyder, and with Dan Gilbert as owner of the Cavs he will not be the most quotable of the local owners.

Don Quixote
10-18-12, 12:23 PM
What's the worst case scenario? They won't be as good? :laugh:I beg your pardon. The Browns are the reigning Ohio NFL champions.

WickerBill
10-21-12, 06:03 PM
Colts surpassed last year's win total with ten games left to play. Andrew Luck has the same record as Peyton Manning (although to be fair to ol Fivehead, the Broncos' schedule has been a gauntlet).

Griffin3 is the real deal, too; the touch on his TD pass to Santana Moss is something you'll never see out of many winning NFL starters, like Vick and Smith.

Hated the Bucs creamsickle uniforms back when they were their real uniforms... but I love it when they bring them back.

TKGAngel
10-21-12, 06:31 PM
When you are up by 6 with just over 3 minutes left, with Spiller & Jackson running left, right & center through the Tennessee defense, and a quarterback that has been a little off lately; why in the wide world of sports would you throw the ball on a 3rd & 7? :shakehead

At this point, I wish the Bills were the Buffalo team that was locked out.

Racing Truth
10-21-12, 06:37 PM

Good thing. Randy Lerner was a well-meaning, but ultimately incompetent owner. He hated cameras and publicity. That, along with his focus on Aston Villa, made him an absentee owner.

That won't be an issue anymore.

Racing Truth
10-21-12, 06:39 PM
From the Clowns fans I know, the sentiment is fairly positive. What Cleveland fans really want for for Dolan to sell the Tribe to someone who will actually spend $$$ on the team.

-Kevin

Yep. dolansmustsell.com (http://dolansmustsell.com/)

dando
11-11-12, 06:52 PM
Titans roll the Fish, Aints take down the ATL, Bungles put a beat down on the Gmen (or ladies like they played today :gomer:). Maddening. :saywhat:

-Kevin

extramundane
11-11-12, 07:51 PM
Days like today make me want Sunday Ticket or Red Zone or an opiate overdose. Yeesh.

Vick getting scrambled was nice though.:thumbup:

dando
11-11-12, 07:56 PM
Days like today make me want Sunday Ticket or Red Zone or an opiate overdose. Yeesh.

Vick getting scrambled was nice though.:thumbup:

Some crazy **** I've seen this weekend b/w college and pro foosball. :eek:

-Kevin

dando
11-11-12, 10:57 PM
Cutler right now.

GPRscxQZs8E

-Kevin

dando
11-12-12, 11:56 AM
Titans roll the Fish, Aints take down the ATL, Bungles put a beat down on the Gmen (or ladies like they played today :gomer:). Maddening. :saywhat:

-Kevin

I also can't figure out the 9ers. You would think losing Smith would be a good thing. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Gnam
11-12-12, 01:19 PM
The Rams ate their Wheaties, and the 49er Defense could not stop Steven Jackson. Also, last year the 49ers' kicker, Akers, was always there when they needed him. This year he just isn't as dependable.

nrc
11-26-12, 01:55 AM
I must say that it was a great pleasure watching Carson Palmer work his magic at Paul Brown Stadium again. :p

The replacement refs have had some serious blunders this season. One in the Bengals game today may have taken points off the board for the Raiders as they were pressing to make a comeback.

Wait. Those aren't replacements?

dando
11-26-12, 05:23 AM
I must say that it was a great pleasure watching Carson Palmer work his magic at Paul Brown Stadium again. :p

The replacement refs have had some serious blunders this season. One in the Bengals game today may have taken points off the board for the Raiders as they were pressing to make a comeback.

Had to suffer through yet another Clowns game on TV, so I listened to the second half on WLW while installing the lights outside. Lap about had a cow when the refs screwed up late in the half and all heck broke loose. I finished just in time to watch the Clowns assist the Who Deys. :)

Welcome back to PBS, CP. :D

-Kevin

Insomniac
11-26-12, 01:48 PM

Nope. These guys are so much better. I know because the media stopped complaining.

WickerBill
11-26-12, 02:42 PM
How does Norv keep his job? As a Broncos fan, I'm not complaining, but I just don't understand...

TravelGal
11-26-12, 06:10 PM
How does Norv keep his job? As a Broncos fan, I'm not complaining, but I just don't understand...

:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

He was the most agitated I've ever seen him in the post game interview. Granted he got screwed by the *28*-yard placement call but I thought maybe he could FINALLY see his job going down the cr@pper. One can only hope.

chop456
11-27-12, 02:46 AM
Granted he got screwed by the *28*-yard placement call

And a ridiculous non-call on a blatant block in the back in the middle of the field on the same play.

extramundane
11-27-12, 10:45 AM
Cowboys fans petition White House to oust Jerry Jones. (https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/remove-jerry-jones-gm-and-owner-dallas-cowboys/Jnlqsjl6) :rofl:

Andrew Longman
11-28-12, 09:31 AM
Cowboys fans petition White House to oust Jerry Jones. (https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/remove-jerry-jones-gm-and-owner-dallas-cowboys/Jnlqsjl6) :rofl:Right after Texas rejoins Mexico or sum such. Jerry deserves Jerry.

Insomniac
12-01-12, 01:19 PM
Sad news, murder-suicide in Kansas City.

A player on the Kansas City Chiefs shot and killed his girlfriend early Saturday before shooting and killing himself at the team facility, according to police.

The Kansas City Star, citing police, identified the player as 25-year-old linebacker Jovan Belcher.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/kansas-city-chiefs-player-kills-self-suicide-kills-girlfriend-team-facility-120112

Chris Benoit kind of situation?

nrc
12-01-12, 11:07 PM
Snapp said Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli, head coach Romeo Crennel and an unidentified person went out to talk to Belcher. Snapp said Belcher thanked Pioli and Crennel for the opportunity to play for the Chiefs' organization, then walked 30 or 40 feet away and fired one shot to his head as the three men looked on.

"They said he was not a danger to anyone else," Snapp said. "Belcher thanked them for being a Chief, and that's when he walked away."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/cops-jovan-belcher-kansas-city-chiefs-player-from-long-island-kills-girlfriend-self-1.4281729

Of course the real victim is the girlfriend. Sad situation.

dando
12-01-12, 11:30 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/cops-jovan-belcher-kansas-city-chiefs-player-from-long-island-kills-girlfriend-self-1.4281729

Of course the real victim is the girlfriend. Sad situation.

No, the victim is the child they had. So very, very sad. :(

-Kevin

extramundane
12-02-12, 02:07 PM
https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/status/275286854683750401

Browns also dealt w tragedy yesterday when team discovered an employee committed suicide by hanging himself in the equipment shed at the facility.

dando
12-02-12, 04:09 PM
https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/status/275286854683750401

Sad. I'd make a quip about being a Browns employee, but it's not appropriate. Baskin should know better. Media outlets step over each other to report stories like this. :shakehead He used to work here for the local CBS affiliate.

-Kevin

dando
12-02-12, 04:21 PM
Listen, I'm all for player safety, but if the NFL continues to call hits like this (GB vs. Minnie), they should start wearing skirts and have flags on them. **** happens. Deal with it. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

dando
12-02-12, 05:10 PM
J-E-T-S 7, Cards 6. Watching paint dry would have been more fulfilling. :saywhat:

-Kevin

extramundane
12-02-12, 05:36 PM
J-E-T-S 7, Cards 6. Watching paint dry would have been more fulfilling. :saywhat:

-Kevin

McElroy playing with mediocre competence might have just defeated both Sanchez AND Tebow. If that ain't a win for Jets fans, I don't know what is. :rofl:

Hell of a finish for the Colts. This Luck kid might be pretty good.

dando
12-02-12, 05:43 PM
Hell of a finish for the Colts. This Luck kid might be pretty good.

Lions playing like the Clowns...snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. :gomer: But, yes, Luck does look to be the real deal.

-Kevin

stroker
12-02-12, 05:55 PM
The Lions LOST? Holy Crap.

Napoleon
12-03-12, 05:55 AM
Baskin should know better.

-Kevin

Baskins was 100% correct. What is the point you are trying to make, because from the rest of your post you appear to be agreeing with him.

dando
12-03-12, 08:32 AM
Baskins was 100% correct. What is the point you are trying to make, because from the rest of your post you appear to be agreeing with him.

Huh? My point was that Baskins was calling out his own, and the media trips over themselves to report news like this, including his own station. It's the nature of the beast these days. Sad, but true.

-Kevin

dando
12-03-12, 10:03 AM
Costas going off on gun control last night.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/12/03/nbcs_bob_costas_goes_on_gun_control_rant_about_nfl _players_murder-suicide.html

A side note, I don't own a gun and the only 'gun' I've ever shot was a BB gun, but I still agree with the 2nd amendment. I also agree with the 1st amendement, but you can't teach stupid. :saywhat:

-Kevin

extramundane
12-03-12, 11:12 AM
http://i.imgur.com/OCBvk.jpg

Don Quixote
12-03-12, 11:29 AM
http://i.imgur.com/OCBvk.jpg

No way! :laugh:

dando
12-03-12, 02:01 PM
No way! :laugh:

Classic. Is that Fireman Ed? :gomer:

-Kevin

Napoleon
12-03-12, 03:15 PM
Huh? My point was that Baskins was calling out his own, and the media trips over themselves to report news like this, including his own station.

He should have called them out. I wish more in the media would do that. By the way, he has no control over what his producers decide to run with. Having said that I did not see your post until this morning but last evening I caught him as the person at his station who had to do this story. [I had typed how he handled it but since I found a video of him on air with the story you can judge for yourself]

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/oh_cuyahoga/body-found-hanging-at-cleveland-browns-training-facility-storage-shed

nrc
12-03-12, 04:49 PM

-Kevin

Could be. I saw a story that said that Fireman Ed was hanging up his hat, retiring his persona, and moving to a different seat. Seems that he's tired of being confronted by Jets fans who think that he's an employee.

extramundane
12-03-12, 07:12 PM

-Kevin

I like to think it's a member of the Johnson family.

dando
12-03-12, 07:22 PM
Could be. I saw a story that said that Fireman Ed was hanging up his hat, retiring his persona, and moving to a different seat. Seems that he's tired of being confronted by Jets fans who think that he's an employee.

Yup. He hung up his hat the week before last. Got tired of being razzed for wearing the #6 jersey. :(

http://deadspin.com/5963154/fireman-ed-the-last-superfan

Of course, there's Rick Reilly's take on attending NFL games:

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8639726/all-nfl-games-home-games

I will NEVER take my DDs to an NFL game.

-Kevin

stroker
12-03-12, 07:58 PM
A side note, I don't own a gun and the only 'gun' I've ever shot was a BB gun, but I still agree with the 2nd amendment.

-Kevin

Well, my friend, you'd better fix that before they change the rules and you can't do it any more. Let us know if you need suggestions on what to buy or build. My $.02. Not flaming you, just a sincere suggestion.

Andrew Longman
12-04-12, 01:48 AM
Yup. He hung up his hat the week before last. Got tired of being razzed for wearing the #6 jersey. :(

http://deadspin.com/5963154/fireman-ed-the-last-superfan

Of course, there's Rick Reilly's take on attending NFL games:

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8639726/all-nfl-games-home-games

I will NEVER take my DDs to an NFL game.

-KevinRick really does need to understand that Jets fan by an order of magnitude more unruly and obnoxious than Giants ... Or just about any fan except Eagles fans. Jets fans set fire to the seats years when a MNF game got out of hand. Thanks to them you can't buy a beer after the third quarter for any event there and can only buy two. For years at the west entrance ramp drunk would line up to form a gauntlet woman had to pass through with requests/demand to show off their "stuff". It was a an open secret and the jets did nothing to stop it until it was reported in the media.

As for his other points I agree completely, especially about the cost. He could have added that you also need to "invest" in PSLs to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars just to be able to purchase a ticket.

I would add way over the top jumbotrons with stupid stuff on it and bad music played way too loud every time there is a break in the action.

Personally I stick to high school football. I go to maybe 15 games every fall and I never spend more than $3 for a ticket or $4 for a burger... Which usually helps fund the band or some such. It is the purest form of the sport and is played for town pride and to teach boys to become men of character. The band isn't always great and anthem is sometime burtchered, but it is a growth opportunity for everyone involved.

My favorite was a playoff game I went to a few weeks ago with Malcomb X Shabazz high school from Newark. The band, cheerleaders and dancers (yes jazz dancers) showed up to our farm country in four tour buses and with legions of fans played music and danced and cheered non stop for the entire game. It was a massive chaotic performance and as my wife said, "They are having a party over there. It look like fun!"

dando
12-06-12, 06:57 PM
Skirts are next. :saywhat:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8720551/roger-goodell-floats-idea-end-kickoffs-report-says

-Kevin

Gnam
12-06-12, 07:09 PM
Where would they put all the commericals?

It goes:
* Score
* 5 min of commericals
* Kickoff
* 5 more minutes of commericals
* 1st & 10.

dando
12-06-12, 07:11 PM
Rick really does need to understand that Jets fan by an order of magnitude more unruly and obnoxious than Giants ... Or just about any fan except Eagles fans. Jets fans set fire to the seats years when a MNF game got out of hand. Thanks to them you can't buy a beer after the third quarter for any event there and can only buy two. For years at the west entrance ramp drunk would line up to form a gauntlet woman had to pass through with requests/demand to show off their "stuff". It was a an open secret and the jets did nothing to stop it until it was reported in the media.

As for his other points I agree completely, especially about the cost. He could have added that you also need to "invest" in PSLs to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars just to be able to purchase a ticket.

I would add way over the top jumbotrons with stupid stuff on it and bad music played way too loud every time there is a break in the action.

Personally I stick to high school football. I go to maybe 15 games every fall and I never spend more than $3 for a ticket or $4 for a burger... Which usually helps fund the band or some such. It is the purest form of the sport and is played for town pride and to teach boys to become men of character. The band isn't always great and anthem is sometime burtchered, but it is a growth opportunity for everyone involved.

My favorite was a playoff game I went to a few weeks ago with Malcomb X Shabazz high school from Newark. The band, cheerleaders and dancers (yes jazz dancers) showed up to our farm country in four tour buses and with legions of fans played music and danced and cheered non stop for the entire game. It was a massive chaotic performance and as my wife said, "They are having a party over there. It look like fun!"

I've been to a Bengals' game every year for the past 10 years. I stopped this season. I reached my tipping point when a Clowns fan was walking down the steps from the upper deck, rubbing her middle finger on her tongue. There was a ~9 yo child sitting in the row behind us from a work party. Needless. My comment to the guy she was with was 'sorry you have to go home with her'. I even shook the hands of Steeler's fans after CP rallied them to a W in the 4th Q circa 2009. NFL fans are the worst by far. Worse than going to opponent stadiums for college football. I was in Madison in '95 when Eddie George ran through them like you know what through a goose. Liquor bottles were piled high in the trash bins, yet most of them were gracious in defeat.

No way in hell I will expose by DDs to that( and they've been to many tOSU football and basketball games as well as CBJ games.

-Kevin