PDA

View Full Version : OC NFL Pickem' Pool

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

dando
12-11-12, 09:44 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/40/Creme_brulee.jpg/640px-Creme_brulee.jpg

I think I'll go out on a limb this week and pick the Cards over the Lions. :gomer:

-Kevin

Insomniac
12-11-12, 10:13 AM
The Pats OL completely shut down the NFL sacks leader JJ Watt, who is chasing after Strahan's record for sacks in a season. I think had 18.5 going into last night's game.

-Kevin

He did hit Brady a number of times still. They were getting the ball out fast for the most part (Shotgun/3-step drops).

dando
12-11-12, 10:59 AM
He did hit Brady a number of times still. They were getting the ball out fast for the most part (Shotgun/3-step drops).

No sacks, no TFL, no passes defended. He had some pressures, but was shutdown for the most part.

On a side note, I h8 Tom Brady. :gomer:

-Kevin

Insomniac
12-11-12, 11:08 PM
No sacks, no TFL, no passes defended. He had some pressures, but was shutdown for the most part.

On a side note, I h8 Tom Brady. :gomer:

-Kevin

I saw that, but I swore he had 1 TFL. Had a FF as well.

It sucks Gruden is just a ball washer. When they were showing how the Patriots' O-line handled the pass rush, he glanced over what appeared to be some subtle tricks. I saw a couple plays with a guy pulling on Watt's jersey when he was jumping to block a pass, both from the front and back. Never really thought about "vertical" holding.

extramundane
12-12-12, 10:21 AM
It sucks Gruden is just a ball washer.

I've learned that he's a lot more tolerable when you think of him as a fictional character (http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/tag/gruden-talk).

Napoleon
12-13-12, 10:00 AM
Anyone else having issues logging in to make picks?

Don Quixote
12-13-12, 10:08 AM
No problem here, except with my picks. I decided to go full 'tard this week. :D

dando
12-13-12, 10:30 AM
Anyone else having issues logging in to make picks?

Nope. I entered my 12-pt. picks Tues. :saywhat:

-Kevin

dando
12-13-12, 10:36 AM

Yeah, but you're also high, Cheech. :gomer:

I wonder what Great Dane tastes like, man.

:D

-Kevin

Napoleon
12-13-12, 02:30 PM
Well last week I took a bunch of chances on the theory the only way I can recover is to be picking teams others are not.

That didn't work out to well (which isn't stopping me from doing it again this week).

dando
12-13-12, 02:41 PM
Well last week I took a bunch of chances on the theory the only way I can recover is to be picking teams others are not.

That didn't work out to well (which isn't stopping me from doing it again this week).

Just pick opposite of Donkey is my strategerie. ;) I'm still wavering on the Clowns/Skins. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
12-13-12, 03:17 PM
(which isn't stopping me from doing it again this week).When you do it once, then you get locked in to do it every week for the rest of the season. :D

Don Quixote
12-13-12, 03:18 PM
Just pick opposite of Donkey is my strategerie. ;) I'm still wavering on the Clowns/Skins. :saywhat:

-KevinI gave you the Jets pick on a silver platter last week. You can lead a mule to water .....

dando
12-13-12, 03:51 PM
You can lead a mule to water .....

And dig a ditch? :gomer: :p

-Kevin

nrc
12-13-12, 08:24 PM

oAKG-kbKeIo

dando
12-13-12, 10:03 PM
The Iggles are a flipping train wreck. That being said, the Bungles will lose it in the 4th. :saywhat:

-Kevin

WickerBill
12-13-12, 10:11 PM
I need 30 points out of Dalton. That isn't going to happen, is it?

dando
12-13-12, 10:31 PM
I need 30 points out of Dalton. That isn't going to happen, is it?

Nope. Bank it. You might be lucky to get 30 from Carrot Top and AJ combined. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Dvdb
12-14-12, 12:00 AM
Just when I was beating myself up for picking the Bengals............two tds.

dando
12-14-12, 04:44 AM
So I fall asleep on the couch shortly after halftime with Iggles up by 3 @ 13-10, and wake up towards the end of the game and it's 34-13 Who Deys. WTF?!? Perhaps I should nap during future Bengals games? :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
12-14-12, 08:51 AM
Caught a few minutes of the 3rd Q during one of regular mid-night waking periods. Jeebus the Iggles imploded in about a 3 minute period. They had a solid drive going that had reached the Bengals' 32-yard line, but the run that got it there was called back on a holding penalty. Another penalty and a sack sends them back to the their ~30, Bengals 3 and out, next drive was an INT and 44-yard return. The Bengals managed to put a rare drive together to get a TD. Next series for the Iggles was a fumble returned for a Bengals TD. From 13-10 to 13-24 in the span of about a minute. Next drive fumble, resulting in a Bengals FG. 13-27. Next 'possession' fumbled KO return, resulting in a Bengals TD, 13-34. 37-22 ToP, 74-53 plays in favor of the Bengals. :eek: Iggles only rushed for 32 yards, 20 combined penalties. :saywhat: Dumpster fire.

-Kevin

dando
12-16-12, 05:16 PM
Nice show G-(wo)Men. Next time wear skirts. :gomer: Clowns fans were actually whispering the word playoffs last week. :rofl: Will the real Ravens please stand up? ;) Let's go Cowboys! :)

EDIT: if someone can figure this league out, lemme know. Last week the talking heads were tripping over themselves to jump on the Pats bandwagon. This week not so much.:saywhat:

-Kevin

nrc
12-17-12, 01:21 PM
I'm sure glad the games I cared about went my way this weekend because I stank up the rest of it.

Bengals control their destiny. All they have to do is march right up to that bully that keeps taking their lunch money, beat him up, and take it back. I may have to double up on my meds next weekend. :saywhat:

Insomniac
12-17-12, 02:30 PM
Nice show G-(wo)Men. Next time wear skirts. :gomer: Clowns fans were actually whispering the word playoffs last week. :rofl: Will the real Ravens please stand up? ;) Let's go Cowboys! :)

EDIT: if someone can figure this league out, lemme know. Last week the talking heads were tripping over themselves to jump on the Pats bandwagon. This week not so much.:saywhat:

-Kevin

They race to switch bandwagons, that's what they do.

Dvdb
12-19-12, 08:16 PM
No Thursday game this week, but there is a Saturday night game.

Insomniac
12-19-12, 11:43 PM
No Thursday game this week, but there is a Saturday night game.

Also no MNF.

TravelGal
12-20-12, 12:56 AM
It's almost funny trying to decide between the Chargers (no team; only a quarterback) and the Jets (no quarterback and not much team either). :shakehead

Dvdb
12-22-12, 08:52 PM
Bump.

40 minutes to go and waiting on two.

cameraman
12-22-12, 08:59 PM

cameraman
12-22-12, 09:01 PM
No wait, I all ready did it.

WickerBill
12-22-12, 09:16 PM
In. Gimme a break, I'm sick as a dog on my bday.

Dvdb
12-22-12, 09:17 PM
All in........Good luck.

Hope you feel better...........and HB.

TravelGal
12-23-12, 09:59 PM
et tu, dando?

Ugh, that was painful. There's a difference between making a good effort in a losing cause and stinking up the field, which the G-men did today. Some good individual efforts sprinkled about but overall, neither the players nor the coaches seemed ready to play in January.

If not for them and those nitwits in Tampa Bay (I told you how bad they were so who is the nitwit? Don't answer that), I would be in first place for the day! I was for a while. Makes it fun to play.

dando
12-24-12, 12:40 AM
et tu, dando?

Ugh, that was painful. There's a difference between making a good effort in a losing cause and stinking up the field, which the G-men did today. Some good individual efforts sprinkled about but overall, neither the players nor the coaches seemed ready to play in January.

If not for them and those nitwits in Tampa Bay (I told you how bad they were so who is the nitwit? Don't answer that), I would be in first place for the day! I was for a while. Makes it fun to play.

If could make sense of this season, I would have a million $$$.

06OowJl1J_k

;)

Side note, I love these guys...great hockey fans who have actually bared to watch the CBJs live in Cbus. :D

-Kevin

dando
12-24-12, 01:20 AM
And another note...the NFL should export the Bills to Toronto permanently. :saywhat: :gomer:

-Kevin

Insomniac
12-24-12, 02:13 AM

I told my brother, even with them being the least likely to get the last wild card spot, they'll find a way, and if NE is fortunate enough to make it to the SB, find a way to ruin their season again.

Napoleon
12-24-12, 08:05 AM
Side note, I love these guys...great hockey fans who have actually bared to watch the CBJs live in Cbus. :D

One of my favorite bands. A great live band, one that I have seen 3 times (most for me for a national act). Too bad they lost Steven Page who has one of the best voices in popular music.

cameraman
12-27-12, 01:45 AM
This week's pick deadline is Sunday at 1 pm eastern.

dando
12-27-12, 07:29 AM
Hail Mary picks are in the hizzy. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Dvdb
12-29-12, 01:27 PM
buuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmpppppppp

Insomniac
12-29-12, 02:54 PM
buuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmpppppppp

Bump for yourself? :)

Dvdb
12-29-12, 06:29 PM
Oh, my picks are in. Ready to win the regular season, as it were.

TravelGal
12-29-12, 07:51 PM
This may be a new record. All picks in nearly if not absolutely (I didn't check) 24 hours in advance. I think we might be getting the hang of this. Too bad it's the last week of the regular season. :gomer:

Dvdb
12-29-12, 11:40 PM
But there are the playoffs, but I am impressed, too.

As an aside, I have the discretion to weigh the playoff games. I am thinking 1 pt. for the first round, 2 pts for second, etc.

Open to suggestions, but I remain the benevolent dictator.

WickerBill
12-30-12, 08:21 AM
It is difficult to weight NFL playoffs, because of the reseeding that happens between rounds. In the NCAA basketball pool, you can put extra weight into, say, choosing a final four team correctly because you had to successfully pick them to get to the final four BEFORE the tournament started. With the NFL, we would be picking weekly just as we have been.

So, that was a difficult way to say "you can't reward someone for foresight in the NFL playoff pool"

nrc
12-30-12, 11:00 AM
I vote that we award triple points for any game that someone actually sits in the freezing cold to watch. Just a suggestion.... :gomer:

dando
12-30-12, 01:27 PM
I vote that we award triple points for any game that someone actually sits in the freezing cold to watch. Just a suggestion.... :gomer:

Taint.:gomer: Enjoy freezing your particulars off in PBS today. ;)

-Kevin

dando
12-30-12, 01:50 PM
Awesome piece on CBS about Chuck Pagano. :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

TravelGal
12-30-12, 02:36 PM
Agree with WB. Are there pool programs out there (for next year) that have the sort of programming for football playoffs that the NCAA playoffs have? A lot depends on how much flexibility Pool Host allows the benevolent dictator. I'm game for anything as long as you explain it in words of one syllable so I get it.

One suggestion for manual recordkeeping is for everyone to PM or post before the first playoff game which team they think will win the Super Bowl. Right now 8 of the 10 are within 20 points of each other so let's say you get 20 or even 30 extra points if you're correct. On top of your season total. The last play of the season. Doug Flutie and all that. :)

Insomniac
12-30-12, 03:42 PM
It is difficult to weight NFL playoffs, because of the reseeding that happens between rounds. In the NCAA basketball pool, you can put extra weight into, say, choosing a final four team correctly because you had to successfully pick them to get to the final four BEFORE the tournament started. With the NFL, we would be picking weekly just as we have been.

So, that was a difficult way to say "you can't reward someone for foresight in the NFL playoff pool"

I assumed the weighting meant that the game would be worth 3 pts (instead of the current 2) if you pick correctly. It would make it possible to catch up (or really pull out a lead).

Dvdb
12-30-12, 05:06 PM
Precisely, Insomniac. My thinking was that it would give people a chance to make up ground in the playoffs. But it is also changing the rules at the end of the game. All it would really do, depending on the values assigned, would give nrc and perhaps dando a chance to beat me.

I'll look in to what Poolhost offers for a playoff pool later. Off to watch Rams-Seahawks.

nrc
12-30-12, 09:10 PM
I'm ok with 2nd. Everyone gets a trophy anyway, right? :gomer:

Insomniac
12-31-12, 03:00 PM
I don't think it will matter at the end of the day unless you know what the people in front pick so you can pick the opposite to have a chance at catching up (or picking the same as the people behind you to stay out front in the case of Dvdb :D).

TravelGal
12-31-12, 04:21 PM
Well, it certainly won't matter to me. :D:D I started off slow and had a low couple of weeks at 4 and 5. I'm just glad I managed to beat the coin toss (50%). My only solace is that the leaders are only at about 15% higher than I am for the regular season. It was a weird one, that's for sure.

Dvdb
01-02-13, 12:45 AM
The benevolent dictator has pondered and now is prepared to make a pronouncement.

The rules and game values shall not change.

Please return to your homes and enjoy your evening.

May God be with you all.

Insomniac
01-02-13, 01:13 PM
The benevolent dictator has pondered and now is prepared to make a pronouncement.

The rules and game values shall not change.

Please return to your homes and enjoy your evening.

May God be with you all.

That means with 11 games left: nrc is 2 games back of Dvdb, dando is 7, BGWTF and Cameraman are 9. They could still win it.

Knight_of_dulcinea, me and WickerBill are 11 back and we could tie for total points.

The rest, NapoleonOfManorFarm (21 back) and Jessguessin (37 back) are out of it.

So most of us are playing for pride. I'll go out on a limb and say only nrc has any hope.

Napoleon
01-02-13, 01:37 PM
The rest, NapoleonOfManorFarm (21 back) and Jessguessin (37 back) are out of it.

Dude, I am just holding back to lull the rest of you into complacency.

dando
01-02-13, 02:22 PM
Picks in....I'm taking no prisoners this weekend. :gomer:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
01-02-13, 02:51 PM
Dude, I am just holding back to lull the rest of you into complacency.Wait, you are NapoleonOfManorFarm??!?!? :D

Napoleon
01-02-13, 03:56 PM
Wait, you are NapoleonOfManorFarm??!?!? :D

Here I am on the Manor Farm

http://www.extremedocumentaries.com/english/docs/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/animal-farm-1999.jpg

Apparently someone else used the name Napoleon on that site so I had to go with NapoleonOfManorFarm (amazinging I have had to do that on a few sites, seriously, who TF uses the screen name Napoleon?).

TravelGal
01-03-13, 04:24 AM
seriously, who TF uses the screen name Napoleon?).

Someone with a complex, no doubt. :tony:

WickerBill
01-03-13, 07:23 AM
http://images.publicradio.org/content/2006/07/19/20060718_napoleon_dynamite_2.jpg

That's yer problem with "Napoleon" as an alias.

Don Quixote
01-03-13, 11:22 AM
or

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/06/Delaroche_-_Bonaparte_franchissant_les_Alpes.jpg/200px-Delaroche_-_Bonaparte_franchissant_les_Alpes.jpg

Napoleon
01-03-13, 02:49 PM
^^^^

Who would want to name themselves after a geek or some guy who managed to loose all but 10,000 of his nearly 500,000 troops on a trip to Russia.

WickerBill
01-03-13, 03:27 PM
I'd venture to say more Americans, at least, love the geek than the miniature dictator.

TravelGal
01-03-13, 03:56 PM
I'd venture to say more Americans, at least, love the geek than the miniature dictator.

Or have heard of the geek. :rolleyes: Although I actually meant the dictator because that's how some people view their role on the internet. Present company excepted, of course. :)

Napoleon
01-03-13, 05:03 PM
Someone with a complex, no doubt. :tony:

True fact, Napoleon was not short but of average height for his day and age for a Frenchman (5 foot, 7 inches).

Dvdb
01-05-13, 03:00 PM
Camerman and Nap, get yer picks in.........

cameraman
01-05-13, 03:10 PM
Rolling the dice...

Dvdb
01-05-13, 03:14 PM
Roll away........

TravelGal
01-05-13, 04:12 PM
tap tap tap. Don't give up now Nappy!

cameraman
01-05-13, 05:00 PM
30 minutes to go....

cameraman
01-05-13, 06:19 PM
Well hell...

dando
01-05-13, 07:02 PM
This just in...the o/u for the Bungles O has been set @ zero. :saywhat: Any takers? :shakehead

-Kevin

cameraman
01-05-13, 07:15 PM
Oh hell no.

TravelGal
01-05-13, 09:02 PM
This just in...the o/u for the Bungles O has been set @ zero. :saywhat: Any takers? :shakehead

-Kevin

pbbbbbbbbbt

dando
01-05-13, 10:08 PM
pbbbbbbbbbt

Shoulda taken the over. :irked:Carrot Top has some learning to do and Gruden needs to figure out a game plan. :mad: Once Green is taken away, Carrot Top has trouble finding other receivers...or @ least ones that can catch the ball (hear me, Gresh?) :saywhat: Texans OL did a good job of neutralizing the pass rush. No sacks and 2 TFLs (also not a good sign when your DBs are 3 of the top 4 in tackles) . The offensive stats were just plain offensive...12/24 first downs, total yards 198/420, ToP 21/38. :saywhat:

-Kevin

cameraman
01-05-13, 10:26 PM
Oy vey. Looks like 0-2 is a real possibility:shakehead

Dvdb
01-05-13, 11:08 PM
You did "roll the dice"..........

cameraman
01-05-13, 11:17 PM
Emm, too much wine. I actually picked Green Bay not Minnesota.

TravelGal
01-06-13, 02:55 AM
0-2 is real for me. I picked Minnesota cuz I like their helmets. No, not really but almost as bad. I've always liked Minnesota (Scandinavian heritage) and then I met TravelGuy in Minneapolis so that sealed it. Of course, I made my pick before I knew their QB was out.

I was sorry to the see the drubbing but I have to admit, that game held my attention more than any this post season, college or pro. Never knew what the H Webb was going to do. :D

dando
01-06-13, 09:01 AM
I made my pick before I knew their QB was out.

Nobody knew in time. They announced that he was during the Bungles/Texans game. That game was a pick 'em to me. The Pack is an enigma to me this season. Decent O, but their D is up and down..especially when Matthews was out.

-Kevin

Insomniac
01-06-13, 12:54 PM
0-2 is real for me. I picked Minnesota cuz I like their helmets. No, not really but almost as bad. I've always liked Minnesota (Scandinavian heritage) and then I met TravelGuy in Minneapolis so that sealed it. Of course, I made my pick before I knew their QB was out.

I was sorry to the see the drubbing but I have to admit, that game held my attention more than any this post season, college or pro. Never knew what the H Webb was going to do. :D

I was bored shortly after half time. Watched Ted.

TravelGal
01-06-13, 02:08 PM
Nobody knew in time. They announced that he was during the Bungles/Texans game. That game was a pick 'em to me. The Pack is an enigma to me this season. Decent O, but their D is up and down..especially when Matthews was out.

-Kevin

But I didn't even know he was hurt. I make my picks immediately so I don't miss a week and then I'm buried at work so I don't pay enough attention throughout the week.

I was bored shortly after half time. Watched Ted.

I'll grant you that the second half was less exciting. By that time someone had gotten to Webb to explain that throwing the ball straight up into the air to avoid a loss of yardage was not the money play.

TravelGal
01-07-13, 03:29 PM
Ugh, that was ignominious. I honestly thought I'd chosen Seattle and was congratulating myself for getting ONE until I looked at the poolhost. :rofl:

Don Quixote
01-07-13, 03:43 PM
Ugh, that was ignominious. I honestly thought I'd chosen Seattle and was congratulating myself for getting ONE until I looked at the poolhost. :rofl:

Well at least you tied Napoleon of Sunnybrook Farm!

dando
01-07-13, 03:48 PM

Well, you were right...for one quarter. :gomer: ;) It looked like the Skins were going to hand it to the Seahags until RG3 broked. Lesser of two evils, I was pulling for the Skins over Carroll's Dirty Birds.

-Kevin

Napoleon
01-07-13, 04:48 PM
Well at least you tied Napoleon of Sunnybrook Farm!

Which considering that I decided to wallow in my pig sty instead of making any picks is pretty bad.

TravelGal
01-07-13, 05:09 PM
Which considering that I decided to wallow in my pig sty instead of making any picks is pretty bad.

Don't worry, you'd have to miss everything from now on and you still wouldn't be last. :) I've once more made my picks, so LOOK OUT WORLD. I assume this means a MASH truck will put up at 3 of 8 teams and load up half their players while I'm blissfully unaware of it. :laugh:

dando
01-09-13, 08:30 PM
All in. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Dvdb
01-11-13, 08:30 PM
Bump

When I checked earlier, we had two stragglers this week.

Insomniac
01-12-13, 05:03 PM
Bump

When I checked earlier, we had two stragglers this week.

I got mine in, but I have no clue. Very tough calls, I hope that makes for very good games. :)

cameraman
01-12-13, 10:29 PM
Seems young Dando picked up two points on the rest of the field:saywhat:

Dvdb
01-12-13, 11:07 PM
Young Dando has a long way to go

TravelGal
01-13-13, 01:22 PM
This is getting depressing. 0-6 so far for the playoffs. But don't worry Nappy, you still won't be last. ;)

This reminds me of 1976 when the Bucs went 0-14. Two thirds through the season orange tee shirts started appearing in Tampa with a sinking galleon and the slogan "Go for O!"

dando
01-13-13, 02:01 PM
This reminds me of 1976 when the Bucs went 0-14. Two thirds through the season orange tee shirts started appearing in Tampa with a sinking galleon and the slogan "Go for O!"

Following a Tampa Bay Buccaneers loss in their early seasons, McKay was asked what he thought of his team's "execution." He replied, "I'm all for it."

:rofl:

John McKay was an American original. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McKay_(American_football)#Quips)

:thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin.

cameraman
01-13-13, 03:06 PM
What the **** was that:flame:

dando
01-13-13, 03:12 PM
Dirty Brids > the Seahags 20-nada? Holy crap, Batman! :eek:

-Kevin

cameraman
01-13-13, 03:31 PM
Oh my word.

TravelGal
01-13-13, 06:05 PM
I see ya'll have picked the same one I picked for the last game. Be afraid, be very afraid.