PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest Phone/TV/Internet provider

stroker
08-22-12, 11:44 AM
Due to the previously referenced changes in my domestic situation, I'm going to need to dump Prism/Centurytel and go to a different provider. I need the cheapest service available. Suggestions?

dando
08-22-12, 12:35 PM
Due to the previously referenced changes in my domestic situation, I'm going to need to dump Prism/Centurytel and go to a different provider. I need the cheapest service available. Suggestions?

Is U-verse an option in your area? They've been fairly aggressive with pricing in central Ohio compared to TWC and a local provider, Wow!.

-Kevin

nrc
08-22-12, 08:46 PM
Tough question since your options depend a lot on your location. Some folks are going the internet/antenna route but I really wonder whether adding digital basic really adds that much with the bundles most carriers have.

G.
08-22-12, 11:11 PM
you gotta give us something to work with here.

What are your requirements?
Phone:
Do you mean cellular?
Do you own a phone? Unlocked?
Virgin Mobile has a pretty good pay-as-you-go plan, but you need to buy a phone, unless you have an unlocked GSM. $35/month, 300 talk mins, unlimited text and data. Got that one from chop456.

Do the aerial for TV (local news is important sometimes) and broadband 'net.

High Sided
08-22-12, 11:54 PM
u-verse fits my needs, mainly the whole house dvr.

gjc2
08-23-12, 07:41 AM
How much does cable/phone/internet cost around the country?

Here, on Long Island I have Cablevision. With three HD boxes, one is a DVR and a comprehensive TV package I pay about $225 per month. Because I have all three services I get an app for my iPad and iPhone that lets me watch TV on either devise at home and WiFi at many locations in Nassau and Suffolk Counties. We really don’t need the phone, but then we lose the package discount so we save very little, and I lose the iPad thing.

How much do you guys pay, or do I want to know?

High Sided
08-23-12, 07:52 AM
St. Louis rates...

my U-verse top tv plan bundle with internet, phone costs just under $200, all movie channels, 3 tv's with Hd boxes, dvr works with all of them. every option with phone and fast enough for me internet. i do have to keep up with promo's to keep my bill under $200, probably around $220 without promo's

to compare my girlfriend pays $165 for charter hd tv with crappy dvr and no movie channels, no phone, internet is faster than uverse.

TKGAngel
08-23-12, 08:25 AM
WNY Time Warner - $105/mo with HD/DVR, Digital Basic cable and the TW Sports Package. Unfortunately, because of an exclusivity agreement in the city, I'm locked into TWC if I want cable. (A dish won't work with my apartment's location and the foliage nearby.)

For Internet, I split the cost with the downstairs apartment. We pay $30/mo total for Verizon DSL.

dando
08-23-12, 08:50 AM
We have TWC with the bundle (cable, phone, internet) and it runs ~$150/mo. We have cable cards in the Tivos, and one STB for the man cave in the basement. No premium channels either.

-Kevin

extramundane
08-23-12, 08:58 AM
Verizon FiOS, Central VA. 2 HD boxes (1 Multiroom DVR, 1 reciever), pretty much every non-premium, English language channel offered (plus a handful of Spanish stations) and the Showtime/TMC/Starz/Encore package plus 25Mbps down/10Mbps up internet for ~$130/month. Supposedly within a couple of months, I'll have access to 100+Mbps down/50+Mbps up internet for ~$25/month more.

The only non-satellite alternative here is Comcast, which will hopefully never get another cent of mine.

stroker
08-23-12, 09:34 AM
My only criteria is CHEAP.

1. Basic cable TV (if possible) so the girls can watch their crappy kids programming.
2. Internet (I'd take Dial-Up if that's necessary)
3. Land line phone. I don't want to have to get a burn phone unless I absolutely have to.

High Sided
08-23-12, 09:52 AM
charter is advertising triple bundle for under $100.....

http://www.chartercabledeals.com/bundles/?cid=67231&affid=14122791997::charter%20triple%20play%20bundl e&gclid=CO2A56Hy_bECFUZfTAodIWQAog

dando
08-23-12, 10:11 AM

1. Basic cable TV (if possible) so the girls can watch their crappy kids programming.
3. Land line phone. I don't want to have to get a burn phone unless I absolutely have to.

OK. You can do dialup for $9.95/mo. through NetZero (www.netzero.com) or Netscape ISP (www.getnetscape.com). For full disclosure, the team I work for supports Netscape ISP. Lots of dialup POPs since Netscape uses AOL's dialup network. AOL was offering low-cost access for a time, but I believe they've pulled those offers.

For a land line, you're probably looking @ AT&T or whatever RBOT you have for ~$25/mo. with taxes and no extras like caller ID. Basic plans for a traditional land line are $20 for limited local calls (add taxes) and $21 for unlimited local calls.

U-verse, which I use as an example since it's more or less national, has basic cable with DVR for $29/mo. You can bundle with internet (DSL) for $59/mo. By comparison, Time Warner has a bundle for cable, internet and phone for $90/mo. for 12 mos. AT&T has the same offer for 24 mos. Dish has offers for $20 and $25/mo., but obviously it requires installation of a dish.

So your best cheapest option would be to do dialup for $10, land line for $20 and cable through Dish for $20, which would have you ~$50, but then factor in taxes for a few $$$ more.

-Kevin

nrc
08-23-12, 12:22 PM
Are you specifically wanting a physical phone line or are you just saying you don't want to use a cell phone at home? POTS (plain old telephone service) is a terrible deal compared to most phone packages that you can get bundled with cable and internet.

My cable company (WOW) starts at $70 per month for basic cable, 2Mb internet, and basic phone.

cameraman
08-23-12, 12:52 PM
You live in the city? My antenna picks up ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox, 3 public broadcasting, 3 independents, 3 local religious and 6 spanish language for free. All the majors are in HD.

G.
08-23-12, 01:36 PM

First things first.

Take care of yourself first, else ****'s going to all fall apart.

That doesn't mean Gigabit data, standing in line for the next iProduct, etc.

IMO, you NEED decent internet. Dial-up doesn't fit that bill. You NEED a cell. People need to contact you, now, and in a year.

stroker
08-23-12, 01:36 PM
You live in the city? My antenna picks up ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox, 3 public broadcasting, 3 independents, 3 local religious and 6 spanish language for free. All the majors are in HD.

Small city. ~100,000.

stroker
08-23-12, 01:38 PM
First things first.

Take care of yourself first, else ****'s going to all fall apart.

That doesn't mean Gigabit data, standing in line for the next iProduct, etc.

IMO, you NEED decent internet. Dial-up doesn't fit that bill. You NEED a cell. People need to contact you, now, and in a year.

Funny, people don't call me too much. Other than calling to check on my Mom once every week or two I have very little use for the phone.

Let's put it this way: Whatever I pay on this is coming off the monthly food bill for me and the girls. That's how tight it is.

High Sided
08-23-12, 02:25 PM
as far as a phone you can use google voice and get a free phone # and use you comp for a phone and texting....
edit...think you need a gmail account also to use google voice for making phone calls.
google voice features...
http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html

cOZU7BOeQ58

gjc2
08-24-12, 07:37 AM
charter is advertising triple bundle for under $100.....

http://www.chartercabledeals.com/bundles/?cid=67231&affid=14122791997::charter%20triple%20play%20bundl e&gclid=CO2A56Hy_bECFUZfTAodIWQAog

A bit under hundred bucks a month for phone, internet and basic cable for the first year or two seems to be the standard introductory offer. I’d be perfectly happy with basic cable and I really don’t need a DVR but I’m continually out voted. Actually the vote is one to one, but then the dog casts the tie breaker, he always goes with her. Adding the two additional boxes only adds a few bucks.

TravelGal
08-24-12, 02:13 PM
I know you don't want to hear this but Virgin mobile has some good plans. monthly, no contact, unlimited talk, text, email, you choose your data plan. Starts at $35 a month. If you have a compatible phone already, just register it. They use Sprint so that may matter where you are.
http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phone-plans/

You can have a (dreaded) AOL address for free. Lots of others. If you want online support, you pay about $12, I think it is. Don't keep up on that.

What about Skype if the Google voice doesn't work? The thing about having a true, carry with you, phone is that people need to contact you in an emergency and with children you never know when that will be.

TravelGal
08-25-12, 07:09 PM
Further investigation (trip to Best Buy) and reading more on VirginMobileUSA leads me to think that their paylo Talk & Text plan might work for you. Lowest level is $20/mo. 400 minutes, 15c per text, $1.50/MB for data. Mid level is $30/mo 1500 minutes, 1500 msgs, 30 MB web. Because there are no taxes, it's cheap for phone connection. If you continue to pay whether or not you use all the minutes, you don't lose the phone number.

RusH
08-27-12, 04:29 AM
For $30 a month pre-paid you can use a T-Mobile smartphone as a wifi hotspot. 100 min, unlimited text, unlimited data. That solves at least 2 requirements, then just get basic cable and you are done.

dando
08-27-12, 09:34 AM
Further investigation (trip to Best Buy) and reading more on VirginMobileUSA leads me to think that their paylo Talk & Text plan might work for you. Lowest level is $20/mo. 400 minutes, 15c per text, $1.50/MB for data. Mid level is $30/mo 1500 minutes, 1500 msgs, 30 MB web. Because there are no taxes, it's cheap for phone connection. If you continue to pay whether or not you use all the minutes, you don't lose the phone number.

This. I'm actually switching back to Virgin from AT&T this week. Their newest smartphone offering runs ICS and can also be used as a mobile hotspot. HTC EVO V 4G. It's currently available from Virgin for $239, free shipping and no tax.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/htc-evo-phone/features/

$35/mo. does both the phone and Internet for you. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Insomniac
08-27-12, 11:33 AM
Can you really bring an unlocked phone to Virgin?

I'd suggest AT&T DSL for Internet. At least here in Kansas, they are offering 3.0m/512k service at $15/month for 1 year.

I'd also suggest T-Mobile Pay As You Go. You can buy 1000 minutes for $100 that expire after 1 year. At the end of 1 year, if you haven't used all your minutes, you can pay $10 for another 35 minutes and extend it 1 more year.

High-Sided mentioned Google Voice, you need a phone to receive incoming calls, or at least need someone to help you get it set up using their phone number/line. Then you can set it up to ring only on your PC.

An online service like Hulu or Netflix could serve as a replacement for cable, but you'd have to check the content to see if it's good enough. An antenna gets you a lot, but not Nick or Disney.

TravelGal
08-27-12, 01:09 PM
Good options, guys. I had expected to upgrade my old and dumb phone to in iPhone after prices drop on the 4s after the 5 (or whatever they call it) debuts at the end of next month. I had been looking at plans and concluded Virgin was the most flexible for what I need.

Unfortunately, I couldn't wait. At this moment, I need unlimited talk. Opposite to stroker's need. Hot spot has to be on computer, not phone, so I can do my travel work through a secure connection. If I get a multi-device mobile hotspot, does that mean I could use the T-Mobile phone RusH suggested to wifi the laptop? Hate to show my basic ignorance on mobile devices but I never wanted to spend the $$$ to get them before.

I looked at the HTC Evo but actually purchased a cheaper phone as a stopgap at Best Buy. They will price match the Virgin web sale price. Had to pay the tax but it was cheaper than the 2-day shipping and solved the "what if this unit doesn't work" problem. Still holding out hopes for an iphone down the road then TravelGuy will get the one I bought yesterday.

I don't know if you can bring any unlocked phone to Virgin. That's why I wrote "a compatible phone." ;) You could call and ask.

G.
08-27-12, 01:48 PM
Can you really bring an unlocked phone to Virgin?

I swear that I saw that on their website, but I cannot find it now, of course.

It specifically said that if you had a GSM phone, you'd need to get a VirginMobile SIMM card in order to use it. Or, I'm wrong.

Insomniac
08-27-12, 05:10 PM
I swear that I saw that on their website, but I cannot find it now, of course.

It specifically said that if you had a GSM phone, you'd need to get a VirginMobile SIMM card in order to use it. Or, I'm wrong.

I was asking because I was looking into it. Wanted to bring an iPhone (or something) and everything I saw said not gonna happen.

Insomniac
08-27-12, 05:15 PM
Unfortunately, I couldn't wait. At this moment, I need unlimited talk. Opposite to stroker's need. Hot spot has to be on computer, not phone, so I can do my travel work through a secure connection. If I get a multi-device mobile hotspot, does that mean I could use the T-Mobile phone RusH suggested to wifi the laptop? Hate to show my basic ignorance on mobile devices but I never wanted to spend the $$$ to get them before.

The hotspot is essentially a wireless router that you can connect your wi-fi device(s) to. I'm not up on how many you can connect, but I suspect just one. So you use your phone's data connection instead of your home wi-fi router.

TravelGal
08-27-12, 05:26 PM
The hotspot is essentially a wireless router that you can connect you wi-fi device(s) too. I'm not up on how many you can connect, but I suspect just one. So you use your phone's data connection instead of your home wi-fi router.

So, it sounds possible. I bought one yesterday that advertized 5 wi-fi device connections available. It was $30 more than the single device USB stick (from $60 to $90), so it seemed like a good investment.

stroker
08-27-12, 06:45 PM
I sure do appreciate the suggestions, everyone, but my problem is that I've been so "cell phone phobic" for the last few years that I have no idea what most of you are talking about. I'm a desktop guy... :confused:

TravelGal
08-27-12, 07:25 PM
I sure do appreciate the suggestions, everyone, but my problem is that I've been so "cell phone phobic" for the last few years that I have no idea what most of you are talking about. I'm a desktop guy... :confused:

What are we? Twins separated at birth? I SO sympathize. PM me and I'd be glad to talk it over with you in words of one syllable--the type I use. :) I'm sure others would be willing to do the same if you don't wanna talk to a 'gal.

Insomniac
08-27-12, 08:50 PM

What I was talking about with t-mobile was a "dumb" phone. I was suggesting it as a cheaper alternative to a land line. So you pay $50 for a phone and $100 for 1000 minutes. Say you talk for 30 minutes/month. That is 360 minutes a year. For the first year, you'd pay $150, the next 2 years you'd pay $10 each year. At the end of year 3, you've spent $170 for 1,070 minutes of talk time. So it works out to ~$57/year. You don't have to go full smart phone (but you can). If you don't care about Internet (data), a smart phone would be an incredible waste of money.

But if you want to learn more about cell phones, people are suggesting for a low monthly cost, you can get a phone + Internet (data) vs. land line + broadband. You have options and flexibility for a low cost combination.

stroker
08-28-12, 08:06 AM
if you don't wanna talk to a 'gal.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA... :)

Oh, wait. You're married.

Poop.

;)

Insomniac
12-07-12, 04:44 PM
Can you roam for at least voice on Virgin Mobile? The coverage map is sparse away from major highways/population areas.

dando
12-07-12, 05:20 PM
Can you roam for at least voice on Virgin Mobile? The coverage map is sparse away from major highways/population areas.

The coverage map @ BBY was much more extensive than on the Virgin Mobile site. :confused: But no, the 'pre-paid' providers do not offer roaming on other networks like VZON and AT&T. I've had no issues with coverage since I bought the Evo 4G...other than the black hole I live in and in some locations in downtown Cbus, which were also spotty with AT&T. The only problem I have with the Evo (and more former Captivate phone), is that sometimes I receive notifications for txts or voicemail on the phone, sometimes I get them on the Android tablet, and sometimes via G-mail on the laptop. There's simply no rhyme of reason to it. It's been like that with Froyo, Gingerbread and now ICS. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Insomniac
12-07-12, 06:26 PM
The coverage map @ BBY was much more extensive than on the Virgin Mobile site. :confused: But no, the 'pre-paid' providers do not offer roaming on other networks like VZON and AT&T. I've had no issues with coverage since I bought the Evo 4G...other than the black hole I live in and in some locations in downtown Cbus, which were also spotty with AT&T. The only problem I have with the Evo (and more former Captivate phone), is that sometimes I receive notifications for txts or voicemail on the phone, sometimes I get them on the Android tablet, and sometimes via G-mail on the laptop. There's simply no rhyme of reason to it. It's been like that with Froyo, Gingerbread and now ICS. :saywhat:

-Kevin

I'm eyeing the iPhone 4s over the Galaxy S II mostly because no one can block iOS updates. Just lame that you'll have no signal outside of Sprint's network.

dando
12-07-12, 07:06 PM
I'm eyeing the iPhone 4s over the Galaxy S II mostly because no one can block iOS updates. Just lame that you'll have no signal outside of Sprint's network.

Yeah, that's the rub with low-cost providers. The providers tier the low-cost brands lower on the priority list. I'm rarely in BFE, so I have coverage where I most need it. I'll be able to report more later when I take the girls to Hilton Head for spring break. I mostly consume WiFi than WiMax/4G. Even with AT&T I had issues with coverage travelling down I-77 through WV and NC. I'm more perplexed by the quirkiness of Android devices, but I refuse to go the iPhone route. I've really seen no big difference in service quality b/w the AT&T Samsung Captivate I had for two years, and I'm saving $50/month.

EDIT: If cost wasn't a big factor, I would have gone with the GS3. That is one sweet handset. There were deals for $49 around the Black Friday period.

-Kevin

Elmo T
12-11-12, 03:51 PM

My Blackberry (Nextel/Sprint) got swapped with Blackberry (Verizon). This was a huge leap as Nextel is being transitioned to all Sprint and it is killing the service.

Shortly thereafter, we dumped BB for the iPhone 4S on Verizon. The service has been pretty much bulletproof - even during Sandy. Worked well on road trip to Disney too - no issues.

At home - dumped wife's BB for iPhone 5 with the Verizon LTE. LTE service is spotty here in the northern burbs - but good closer in to the city and south. Between iPods and such, we've pretty much been pulled into the Apple vortex. No complaints and helpful to have apps interchangeable between the two iPhones and 2 more iPod touches.

Our house is all Verizon all the time. FiOS, etc. Very $$ happy $$ with the $$ service. Not $$ so much with the $$ price. :saywhat:

stroker
12-11-12, 06:59 PM
Finally bought a $10 Tracphone at Wally World. I've had it turned on for a total of 24 hours and I'm inwardly pissed that nobody is calling me.

:shakehead

:saywhat:

:D

cameraman
12-11-12, 07:55 PM
Tweet your phone number...

dando
12-11-12, 08:00 PM

Replaces the old Twitter....the bathroom wall. :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
12-11-12, 08:56 PM
My Blackberry (Nextel/Sprint) got swapped with Blackberry (Verizon). This was a huge leap as Nextel is being transitioned to all Sprint and it is killing the service.

Shortly thereafter, we dumped BB for the iPhone 4S on Verizon. The service has been pretty much bulletproof - even during Sandy. Worked well on road trip to Disney too - no issues.

At home - dumped wife's BB for iPhone 5 with the Verizon LTE. LTE service is spotty here in the northern burbs - but good closer in to the city and south. Between iPods and such, we've pretty much been pulled into the Apple vortex. No complaints and helpful to have apps interchangeable between the two iPhones and 2 more iPod touches.

Our house is all Verizon all the time. FiOS, etc. Very $$ happy $$ with the $$ service. Not $$ so much with the $$ price. :saywhat:

Sucker....

http://www.cnet.com/8301-33506_1-57557848-306/galaxy-s3-beats-iphone-5-for-best-device-of-2012/

:p

-Kevin

cameraman
12-11-12, 09:55 PM
Sucker....

http://www.cnet.com/8301-33506_1-57557848-306/galaxy-s3-beats-iphone-5-for-best-device-of-2012/

:p

-Kevin

No way. The s3 is too damn big, you might as well be carrying around a tablet.

dando
12-11-12, 10:23 PM
No way. The s3 is too damn big, you might as well be carrying around a tablet.

That's why they are called phablets. :gomer: It actually is a really nice handset, and when I lusted over one @ BBY, I didn't find too big. Now the Note, OTOH.... :saywhat:

-Kevin

Insomniac
12-11-12, 11:21 PM

My problem is solved by awesome friends. The plan will cost more than VM, but the phone will be subsidized (no contract) so it's a wash. But it means the Sprint network and my pick of any new/current phone. Decisions, decisions, :)

Insomniac
12-11-12, 11:23 PM
That's why they are called phablets. :gomer: It actually is a really nice handset, and when I lusted over one @ BBY, I didn't find too big. Now the Note, OTOH.... :saywhat:

-Kevin

My co-worker has a Note. He said it's only too big if you can't hold it up and talk into it. :)

stroker
12-11-12, 11:30 PM

Might be worth it if they could tell me how to change the settings on it...

Indy
12-12-12, 12:05 AM
Finally bought a $10 Tracphone at Wally World. I've had it turned on for a total of 24 hours and I'm inwardly pissed that nobody is calling me.

:shakehead

:saywhat:

:D

Dude, voice is so 90's. :gomer:

stroker
12-12-12, 12:15 PM
Dude, voice is so 90's. :gomer:

I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over my Quiet Riot cassette in my Walkman.