PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Hamlisch

TravelGal
08-07-12, 12:05 PM
Saddened to hear of his passing today. I never quite forgave him for seeming to take credit (accept Oscar) for Scott Joplin's work but in recent years I saw him (Marvin, not Scott) perform live and he seemed to be quite a mensch. He was a very funny raconteur, still played well, and conducted many local community symphonies, including the Pasadena Pops, to lend his star power to them. He'll be missed around here.

stroker
08-07-12, 03:23 PM
Saddened to hear of his passing today. I never quite forgave him for seeming to take credit (accept Oscar) for Scott Joplin's work but in recent years I saw him (Marvin, not Scott) perform live and he seemed to be quite a mensch. He was a very funny raconteur, still played well, and conducted many local community symphonies, including the Pasadena Pops, to lend his star power to them. He'll be missed around here.

Makes me think of Gilda Radner.

Gnam
08-07-12, 04:16 PM
I was unfamiliar with his work, but anyone who wins an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar, and a Tony and then composes the score for Three Men And A Baby probably knows how to have a good time. His bar tab must have been HUGE. ;)

cameraman
08-07-12, 04:30 PM
... for Scott Joplin's work but in recent years I saw him (Marvin, not Scott) perform live...

I'd be really impressed if you had seen Scott Joplin play and were still able to write about it or were still breathing for that matter.:laugh:

dando
08-07-12, 05:44 PM
Gracious guy when he conducted the CSO here. He tended to help the CSO a lot since his wife, Terri Blair, was from here and was an anchor on the local news back in the 80s.

-Kevin

TKGAngel
08-07-12, 07:43 PM
I've had "One" from A Chorus Line running through my head for most of the afternoon. His performances with the BPO were always a treat, especially at the holiday season.