PDA

View Full Version : Tinny sound on TV

WickerBill
07-28-12, 08:03 PM
My three year old LG LCD suddenly, this morning, started having a nasty buzzing tinny sound in the left speaker. Figured I'd ask the smart people: is this a dying speaker or something else? Is there anything an owner can replace or work on in one of these flat panels?

Methanolandbrats
07-28-12, 08:16 PM
Did you try hitting it really hard? :gomer:

cameraman
07-28-12, 08:43 PM
Time to get some external speakers. They'll sound a whole lot better anyway.

Rex Karz
07-28-12, 09:25 PM
Try moving the rabbit ears into a new position. Or put some aluminum foil on them.

G.
07-28-12, 09:28 PM
Didn't it sound tinny out of the box?

Enough of that. :p

It could be the speaker, but I'd guess it's the sound board. You may need to go external with a line out (or optic) to avoid repair$.

Do speakers ever really "blow" anymore?

Insomniac
07-28-12, 10:48 PM
Could be the wiring/connection. If the ground is messed up, you'll hear a buzz like that.

G.
07-29-12, 01:05 PM
Is there anything an owner can replace or work on in one of these flat panels?
Does it look like it's possible to take off an electronics access panel of any sort, or do you need to separate the entire clamshell? I would avoid cracking the entire thing open, unless I needed an excuse to upgrade the TV. :\

What is the model number?

Have you tried asking The Google? Someone else has your problem, and they wrote about it.

If there is easy panel access to the speakers, Insomniac could be right, and you could have an easy fix.

If it's board-related, then the LHS audio amp is "Living In Clip", ie., something busticated. If it's a common problem, then the fix is out there, as long as you have awesome tools an' stuff.

If it's the audio board, you may be able to ignore/bypass the problem and run audio through another path. Line out, optical, HDMI, whatever, might use a separate audio lineup altogether, so they may be fine. If you have "variable volume audio out", that's probably the same busted-amp lineup.

Summary:
Check alternate audio paths
google model number, awesome keywords, etc.
open 'er up and poke around a bit. (<- last choice, for me anyway)

Forgot to ask, did you let any of the smoke out of it?

nrc
07-29-12, 02:06 PM
I'm having a hard time reconciling tinny and buzzy. Do you mean a constant buzz or normal audio with distorted highs and lows? Possibly a loose connection on the speaker. Could be a crossover circuit but most TVs only have a pair of wide range speaker which would rule that out.

No idea if those things go back together when you take them apart. I imagine you could duct tape it.

If your TV allows you to connect external speakers hook em up and see if that fixes it.

extramundane
07-29-12, 02:24 PM
-gwXJsWHupg

Gnam
07-29-12, 08:59 PM
^ :laugh:

My three year old LG LCD suddenly, this morning, started having a nasty buzzing tinny sound in the left speaker.
Just so I can check all the boxes:
1. Is the sound present on all the channels or just one?
2. Does it happen just with the antenna/cable/satellite connection, or do you also hear it with the DVD/blueray/internet/game console connection?
3. Does it come and go, or is it constant?
4. Does anyone else hear it? ;)