PDA

View Full Version : Biggest 2012 F-1 Surprises, So Far?

NismoZ
07-27-12, 09:43 PM
I can think of a fast half-dozen things that have been a genuine surprise to me about this season's first half. I would like to hear from some of you F-1 resident experts here, who know much more about the sport (have more interest, passion, etc. for F-1) than I, as to what has most surprised YOU. Any category...cars, drivers, teams, events, races, incidents, technology, politics...your call.

Methanolandbrats
07-27-12, 09:52 PM
The rapid rate at which F1 is turning into NASCAR.

Dvdb
07-27-12, 11:15 PM
I remember how I used to get up at 6 am to watch the races live fifteen years ago. I now dvr them and watch them at my convenience.

I still haven't viewed the last race.

Insomniac
07-27-12, 11:27 PM
The gimmicks are working more often than not. I still firmly believe you should not have to manufacture racing, because if you do, it's a rabbit hole.

SteveH
07-27-12, 11:52 PM
Kimi has seemingly remained sober.

opinionated ow
07-28-12, 03:59 AM
That Bernie is holding a grand prix against the Olympics

WickerBill
07-28-12, 07:58 AM
Webber out pointing and out winning Vettel.

RTKar
07-28-12, 08:40 AM
The overall competitiveness through this point in the season. It's good to see.

Rogue Leader
07-28-12, 02:19 PM
Maldonado winning a race and not on a dumb luck pit strategy (like our favorite female driver).

Grosjean's overall raciness

Senna not living up to his (IMO) potential

Alonso making the pretty poor Ferrari competitive

Vettel falling apart, with only shades of the past 2 years unstoppableness

Easy
07-29-12, 04:20 AM
Grosjean has been a pleasant surprise. Its also nice to see a guy who shows the joy that all but the most priggish aspiring race car drivers would feel at the wiff of an F1 podium. Its hard to have empathy for a multi-millionaire GP driver pissed off that he finished 2nd or 3rd.

Surprised that in some quarters its just now becoming apparent that Alonso is one of the all time greats. He has rarely if ever had a dominant car yet will almost certainly tie or pass Mansell for 4th all time in race wins this year.

Shocked at Maldonado and Williams controlling a race from P1 lights to flag.

Surprised at Button's poor season. His race craft and mechanical sympathy should be serving him even better than last year but something is clearly missing.

Surprised at Hammy's sudden ability to take care of tires, let alone the fragile 2012 Pirellis.

Mary
07-30-12, 02:19 AM
That they actually wanted these sucky tires.

Mary

stroker
07-30-12, 09:28 AM
What the hell is going on with Mercedes Benz? They've seriously lost the plot!

TrueBrit
07-30-12, 03:04 PM
I remember how I used to get up at 6 am to watch the races live fifteen years ago. I now dvr them and watch them at my convenience.

I still haven't viewed the last race.

I have two on the DVR I haven't watched, one of them being Monaco, and I deleted the timer for the Hungary round as there was too much Olympicing going on...glad to see that chocolate jeebus won though...I hate it when Super-Grass wins...snitchy little sod should still be searching for his other ball if I ran the world...

cameraman
07-30-12, 03:35 PM
Super-Grass:confused:

Who might that be and how did you get there?

Methanolandbrats
07-30-12, 04:36 PM
Fred should have been pissed when Uncle Ron gave his boyfriend all the good bits. Fred is quicker and smarter than Louise.

Easy
07-30-12, 07:40 PM
Fred should have been pissed when Uncle Ron gave his boyfriend all the good bits. Fred is quicker and smarter than Louise.

No no no. Lewis is better than Senna, Prost, Schu, Alonso, Lauda and Fangio combined. David Hobbes told me so.

In fact, were you aware that any time Lewis isn't leading the race its because McLaren screwed the pooch or the stewards wrongly penalized him and he's now being blocked by a slower car?

Insomniac
07-30-12, 10:51 PM
Super-Grass:confused:

Who might that be and how did you get there?

Alonso. Who had the nickname "The Grass"?