PDA

View Full Version : Hungaro...

NismoZ
07-27-12, 02:10 PM
RAIN (likely) Who wins? I hear so much about great rain drivers, but who among the current crop is considered at the top? First time I recall a big deal made of that particular driving talent was John Cannon in a Can Am. Good driver, but he whipped many better ones in a Canadian rain race.

stroker
07-27-12, 03:00 PM
RAIN (likely) Who wins? I hear so much about great rain drivers, but who among the current crop is considered at the top? First time I recall a big deal made of that particular driving talent was John Cannon in a Can Am. Good driver, but he whipped many better ones in a Canadian rain race.

IIRC he was the only one running Firestone rain tires. Everybody else was on Goodyears.

NismoZ
07-27-12, 05:06 PM
If true, that makes perfect sense...especially if Firestones were considered superior at the time. Where/when was that race, anyway...way out west someplace, I think. Do I recall a downhill switchback hairpin nestled among the pines? Some photos just stick in my mind. Most don't!:D

WickerBill
07-27-12, 08:46 PM
Well, The Chin is always called a superior rain driver, but the Merc looks like it is on skates as soon as it rains. So it is likely as much car as driver...

Methanolandbrats
07-27-12, 08:51 PM
FRED

Insomniac
07-27-12, 11:24 PM
Everyone but Karthikeyan.

RTKar
07-28-12, 08:42 AM
100% chance of rain Sunday...so they say :thumbup:

stroker
07-28-12, 09:18 AM
If true, that makes perfect sense...especially if Firestones were considered superior at the time. Where/when was that race, anyway...way out west someplace, I think. Do I recall a downhill switchback hairpin nestled among the pines? Some photos just stick in my mind. Most don't!:D

Give that man a ceegar. Laguna Seca. '67 IIRC... Mighta been '66.

Rex Karz
07-28-12, 11:07 AM
No matter where they qualify, if the 100% chance of rain really happens, whoever has the best wet setup will be the winner.

This will be the big opportunity for Timo. If about 20 cars wreck on the first turn.

Insomniac
07-28-12, 01:32 PM
Some more Red Bull "controversy". Following the engine mapping enhancements and subsequent rules clarification (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18986375), now they are talking about ride height adjustments. Red Bull denies (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19032217) it.

Methanolandbrats
07-28-12, 02:13 PM
Webber and The Mercedes cars on full wet setup to be that far back?

Insomniac
07-28-12, 04:11 PM
Webber and The Mercedes cars on full wet setup to be that far back?

I don't think Webber is. He just barely missed Q3. Outside of Hamilton, there were 10 cars withing 0.308s in Q2. I'd attribute his time to traffic. Schumacher was slow in Q3 (Massa kept catching him). Is Hamilton set for dry?

NismoZ
07-28-12, 04:24 PM
OMG...I had no idea...Mike Cannon, was Forsythe Racing Chief Engineer (Almendinger)... is John Cannon's kid. (Makes perfect sense, though. Where is Mike these days? He is a GOOD one!) John died in '99 @ 66. Is there anything more important than tires for a rain race? What else is a big deal in a "wet setup"? Esp. for F-1.

WickerBill
07-28-12, 04:32 PM
Ride height, softer suspension, brake bias

Methanolandbrats
07-28-12, 04:50 PM
Run more wing on a wet track too.

TrueBrit
07-28-12, 10:25 PM
Ronnie Peterson was great on the wet....

RTKar
07-29-12, 08:14 AM
Not a cloud in the sky :confused:

opinionated ow
07-29-12, 08:22 AM
Everyone but Karthikeyan.

and PIC

Insomniac
07-29-12, 12:29 PM
Well, that was rather boring. Push and 4 stops = Conserve and 3 stops. Vettel was taking almost 2s a lap off Grosjean, but I don't know he would've been able to pass if he a couple more laps. That was some really bad weather predicting.

What has gotten into Webber on the starts? For so long you could count on a poor one, but these last couple of races he's taken off. It's making a big difference.

Also, maybe someone can explain how if Red Bull was adjusting ride height, why that would result in a faster opening lap than anyone else? I understand qualifying, but every team would be setting ride height for full fuel.

stroker
07-29-12, 05:44 PM
I propose we now have a new euphemism, which is Hungarian Weather Forecaster or HWF for short. That euphemism would obviously be for somebody whose predictions are 180 degrees from accurate. I can think of a few folks on the various boards in the past who might qualify for such a moniker. :)

As for the race, I didn't think it was too bad. I wish Kimi could have caught and passed Louise but it just doesn't sound like he had the tires to do it. That's the problem with "shelf-life" tires--if you push them too hard you just end up shooting yourself in the foot. You might as well settle for second and get the points. Yet another case of Unintended Consequences in manufactured competition.

cameraman
07-29-12, 06:39 PM
Well a couple hours after the race ended the skies opened up and there was an epic storm that just dumped down rain with high winds. Reports from the folks still there said that the storm was just over the top. The race organizers got lucky.

Insomniac
07-29-12, 06:41 PM
I propose we now have a new euphemism, which is Hungarian Weather Forecaster or HWF for short. That euphemism would obviously be for somebody whose predictions are 180 degrees from accurate. I can think of a few folks on the various boards in the past who might qualify for such a moniker. :)

As for the race, I didn't think it was too bad. I wish Kimi could have caught and passed Louise but it just doesn't sound like he had the tires to do it. That's the problem with "shelf-life" tires--if you push them too hard you just end up shooting yourself in the foot. You might as well settle for second and get the points. Yet another case of Unintended Consequences in manufactured competition.

Kimi did catch him, pretty easily. And then for 20 laps he just followed him.

WickerBill
07-29-12, 08:20 PM
Button couldn't get around Bruno. Then Webber couldn't get past Bruno. :flame::mad:

Methanolandbrats
07-29-12, 08:43 PM
Kimi did catch him, pretty easily. And then for 20 laps he just followed him.

Was a good race. Kimster baked his rear rags. You could see it on corner exit, just a tad of oversteer. That was the end of the attack. Too bad.

WickerBill
07-30-12, 09:33 AM
Can anyone explain to me what the heck happened at the start -- lights didn't go out, extra installation lap, except it wasn't an installation lap because it counted against the 70 lap race...

SteveH
07-30-12, 09:53 AM
Michael was in the wrong grid position causing the start to be waved off. Then when the start was waved off, he turned off his car mistakenly.

cameraman
07-30-12, 10:31 AM
Mikey had a senior moment.

opinionated ow
07-30-12, 10:52 AM
Michael was in the wrong grid position causing the start to be waved off. Then when the start was waved off, he turned off his car mistakenly.

And in an aborted start situation, the extra sighting lap is taken from the race distance. (which is one of the reasons why a GP distance is the lap needed to exceed 300km + 1-except Monaco)

cameraman
07-30-12, 10:54 AM
And in an aborted start situation, the extra sighting lap is taken from the race distance. (which is one of the reasons why a GP distance is the lap needed to exceed 300km + 1-except Monaco)

Unless you want the entire field to run out of gas they haven't any choice.

Insomniac
07-30-12, 10:48 PM
Unless you want the entire field to run out of gas they haven't any choice.

Didn't they subtract a lap even when refueling was allowed? I seem to recall it happening when people stalled more often on the grid.

opinionated ow
07-30-12, 11:02 PM
Didn't they subtract a lap even when refueling was allowed? I seem to recall it happening when people stalled more often on the grid.

Yes. It's been that way in the sporting regulations for as long as I can remember.

NismoZ
08-01-12, 04:00 PM
So, are you saying they probably aren't planning for a green/white/checker!? :confused:

cameraman
08-01-12, 06:16 PM
If it is yellow at the end then that is how it ends. Simple as that.

nissan gtp
08-01-12, 07:22 PM
If it is yellow at the end then that is how it ends. Simple as that.

as it should be.

Insomniac
08-02-12, 10:45 AM
They may consider a red flag for a safety car at the end? (Not to extend the race, but if there is say 3 or 4 laps left, opt for the red flag over a SC to the end.)

opinionated ow
08-02-12, 07:26 PM
They may consider a red flag for a safety car at the end? (Not to extend the race, but if there is say 3 or 4 laps left, opt for the red flag over a SC to the end.)
In non-American motorsport, a red flag after 3/4 race distance is race over

Insomniac
08-03-12, 08:28 AM
In non-American motorsport, a red flag after 3/4 race distance is race over

I see. Thankfully, both the SC and red flag are rare in F1, so they don't need gimmick rules for that. (Which is also why they sucked at SC rules.)