PDA

View Full Version : Pollack Tried to Get Jeff Gordon in CART...

JoeBob
06-24-03, 11:40 AM
Back when BAR was forming... http://www.canoe.com/NewsStand/TorontoSun/Sports/2003/06/24/118176.html

RaceChic
06-26-03, 08:13 PM
Quote:
"Gordon suspected that BAR and Team Kool Green -- because they were being funded by the same tobacco company -- thought they could twin the project and raise the profile of CART by dangling the F-1 carrot in negotiations."

Is this what I think it is?
That Jeff Gordon thinks he will "RAISE" the profile of CART?
He's not necessarily the best liked guy in NASCAR from what I gather. Hmmmm......... :(

Don Quixote
06-26-03, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by RaceChic
Quote:
Is this what I think it is?
That Jeff Gordon thinks he will "RAISE" the profile of CART?
He's not necessarily the best liked guy in NASCAR from what I gather. Hmmmm......... :(
I think that if Jeff Gordon took a ride in a champcar now, the TV ratings would jump from 1 to 4 immediately. There are plenty of Gordon haters in NASCAR fandom, but IMHO there is a silent majority of NASCAR followers that root for him every week.

Foxman
06-27-03, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by RaceChic
Quote:
"Gordon suspected that BAR and Team Kool Green -- because they were being funded by the same tobacco company -- thought they could twin the project and raise the profile of CART by dangling the F-1 carrot in negotiations."

This really makes Gordon sound like a pompous a--. Excuse me, but How in the hell do you expect to make the transition from Taxi cabs to F1? Cart would have made that transition possible IMHO, maybe, just maybe Pollack wanted you to actually have a decent showing in F1.

RaceChic
06-27-03, 09:15 AM
My thoughts exactly, Foxman. :D