PDA

View Full Version : Penn State

WickerBill
07-23-12, 12:19 PM
I can get in line with the monetary fine.

I understand vacating wins.

What do today's players (4 years no postseason) and tomorrow's players (heavy scholarship losses) have to do with Sandusky molesting children? Why must they pay a price?

Insomniac
07-23-12, 12:38 PM
Unfortunately, they're swept up in the messages the NCAA and Big Ten want to send them and everyone else.

It happens all the time. Think about Enron like scandals where so many people who didn't have any role in the fraud suffered because of other's actions.

nrc
07-23-12, 12:58 PM
The sad irony is that Penn State fans were mocking Ohio State over the Tressel implosion while this was going on.

The idea is that these are both cases where things were not reported because the importance of protecting the program took precidence over doing the right thing. In one case it was a lapse in ethics, in the other it was a lapse in human decency.

The cure is to make the consequences of covering up such lapses so big that programs will not take the risk. At least I think that's the idea.

Methanolandbrats
07-23-12, 01:06 PM
Players get to transfer and play right away. Other teams can go over scholarship cap if they put them on their team. Really the only solution because the death penalty kills all the non-income sports and harms bars, hotels, workers who maintain the stadium, etc..... Many more people hurt by death penalty.

Lux Interior
07-23-12, 01:11 PM
I am amazed that a university of the scope and size of PSU would cover this kind of thing up. It's disgusting. The tattoos for helmets and jerseys thing at Ohio State -who cares. Really, does it matter? But covering up this kind of behavior is just terrible. I think they should have just canceled the football program entirely for 5 years. It is a shame that people who had nothing to do with this get hurt from it though.

Gnam
07-23-12, 01:36 PM
I think they should have just canceled the football program entirely for 5 years. It is a shame that people who had nothing to do with this get hurt from it though.
Between the sanctions and the eventual civil lawsuits, I think the idea is to make Penn State give up its program voluntarily. Personally, I would have banned them from all NCAA competition for 100 years. See you in 2112.

Also, the idea that poor behavior shouldn't be punished to the fullest extent possible because it might hurt some anonymous third party, is what started this mess. I don't give a **** about the guy sweeping the floors at the stadium, who might lose his job, or the freshman gymnast, who might see cuts to the program, or the bar keep, who might lose business. They are all free to associate with another university that was not directly responsible for and tried to cover up such a reprehensible crime.

cameraman
07-23-12, 01:40 PM
They are all free to associate with another university that was not directly responsible for and tried to cover up such a reprehensible crime.
Yeah it's simple to pick up a bar and move it to the next town over:rolleyes:

Methanolandbrats
07-23-12, 01:57 PM
Between the sanctions and the eventual civil lawsuits, I think the idea is to make Penn State give up its program voluntarily. Personally, I would have banned them from all NCAA competition for 100 years. See you in 2112.

Also, the idea that poor behavior shouldn't be punished to the fullest extent possible because it might hurt some anonymous third party, is what started this mess. I don't give a **** about the guy sweeping the floors at the stadium, who might lose his job, or the freshman gymnast, who might see cuts to the program, or the bar keep, who might lose business. They are all free to associate with another university that was not directly responsible for and tried to cover up such a reprehensible crime.

So if my third cousin kidnaps, tortures and kills a girl, my entire family should have their assets confiscated? That makes a lot of sense.

Elmo T
07-23-12, 02:03 PM
Yeah it's simple to pick up a bar and move it to the next town over:rolleyes:

Exactly.

State College is not Philadelphia or Pittsburgh. There is NOTHING once you get about 5 miles from the campus. There is no next town - with apologies to my friends from Tyrone, Bellefonte, or Boalsburg.

State College is as about removed from the real world as you can get. It is hard to explain unless you've seen it. Disney World is the closest analogy. Seriously. (And I think that insulation factors into how this whole thing was able to go on for so long.:rolleyes: )

The "death penalty" would have impacted far more than the school.

I don't know the answer - but this seems like a measured and thought-thru action.

I am more concerned about prosecuting those who failed to take action - only by their omissions and subterfuge could this go on for so long.

Gnam
07-23-12, 02:16 PM
So if my third cousin kidnaps, tortures and kills a girl, my entire family should have their assets confiscated? That makes a lot of sense.

No. But, if giving your third cousin the death penalty negatively impacted your future finances, tough.

If Penn State athletics is the only game in town, time to find another town.

Methanolandbrats
07-23-12, 02:41 PM
No. But, if giving your third cousin the death penalty negatively impacted your future finances, tough.

If Penn State athletics is the only game in town, time to find another town.

Ok Vlad the Impaler, there comes a point where you have to quit putting people on pointy sticks. The parking attendants, security guards, waitresses, the girl with no money going to college on a track scholarship, the ticket office workers, etc..... did not cause this and it's doubtful many, if any of them knew about it.

Racing Truth
07-23-12, 03:10 PM
I think the practical effect is close to a "death penalty." The program will be severely hampered for yrs.- loss of postseason, revenues, scholarships. Combined w/ the negativity around it, it's a massive uphill climb.

Rightfully so.

Rogue Leader
07-23-12, 03:34 PM

Yes because its so damn easy to uproot your whole life/family/etc because that university is the only game in town.

You completely ignore the tremendous economic impact this is going to have to everyone in the area. Everyone who had nothing to do with this scumbag and his poor decisions and his superiors stupidity.

Insomniac
07-23-12, 03:48 PM
I think the practical effect is close to a "death penalty." The program will be severely hampered for yrs.- loss of postseason, revenues, scholarships. Combined w/ the negativity around it, it's a massive uphill climb.

Rightfully so.

I think this is worse than a death penalty. One year would've been better for them to get to start with a clean slate. Now they have to drag along for 4 years under these penalties and for some time after as they fill back in the roster. I also don't think a 1 year death penalty would've destroyed all the sports. There definitely would've been a more sever economic impact with a death penalty though.

Gnam
07-23-12, 05:09 PM
You completely ignore the tremendous economic impact this is going to have to everyone in the area. Everyone who had nothing to do with this scumbag and his poor decisions and his superiors stupidity.

I hear your argument. It is sound and reasonable to say that innocent people should not be punished for something they didn't do. They aren't accesories to the crime. They didn't allow it to happen. They would have stopped it if they could. This is unfair because although the fines only apply to Penn State, the collateral damage will be felt deep and wide throughout the university and the community.

I reject this argument in it's entirety. I imagine this line of thinking, or one similar to it, was discussed everytime Sandusky's name came up at a Penn State board meeting. They weighed the costs of coming clean against the risk of a cover up and decided it would be better for everyone to keep quiet. The good of the many vs the few etc.

To make it clear that such a calculation can never again come out in favor of a cover up, the financial penalties for Penn State must be severe. This "impalement" not only punishes Penn State, it makes it easier for others to speak up in the future about misconduct at every NCAA university. They can now argue to the Athletic Director or the Board that reporting the crime will protect the community instead of endangering it.

As for the families and businesses in State College, it is not the NCAA sanctions that placed their future in jeopardy. It was Penn State acting selfishly that injured their town and their kids. Their pain is regrettable, but not sufficient reason to pardon Penn State.

Elmo compared the town to Disney World. If this goat rodeo happened in the Magic Kingdom, that place would be a boarded up ghost town.

[/soap box]

cameraman
07-23-12, 07:09 PM
Here is what I don't understand, anyone who knew anything about this and did not file an immediate police report needs to be prosecuted in a criminal court. Simple as that, if you knew anything and did not act to stop it you are an accomplice.

If everyone who knew anything is either dead or in jail then why does the University get penalized? If people knew and are not being prosecuted, well why the hell not?

Elmo T
07-23-12, 09:29 PM
If everyone who knew anything is either dead or in jail then why does the University get penalized? If people knew and are not being prosecuted, well why the hell not?

I am not saying this as justification for the NCAA action, but from long time Penn State folks I know - this was fairly well known, or at least assumed, by many. More gossipy - but this did not come as a great surprise to many.

Still curious if/how this ties in:

Ray Frank Gricar (play /ˈɡriːkɑr/; born October 9, 1945, missing April 15, 2005, declared legally dead July 25, 2011) was an American attorney who served as the district attorney of Centre County, Pennsylvania, from 1985 until 2005. On April 15, 2005, Gricar went missing under mysterious circumstances and has not been heard from since. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Gricar)

Insomniac
07-24-12, 12:05 AM
Here is what I don't understand, anyone who knew anything about this and did not file an immediate police report needs to be prosecuted in a criminal court. Simple as that, if you knew anything and did not act to stop it you are an accomplice.

People argue it is to change the culture. If the culture hasn't already been changed there, it never will be. What they allowed to happen was unconscionable. The punishment really can never match it.

Andrew Longman
07-24-12, 12:27 AM
XThe parking attendants, security guards, waitresses, the girl with no money going to college on a track scholarship, the ticket office workers, etc..... did not cause this and it's doubtful many, if any of them knew about it.Sure, but blame the right people. If JoPa et al had done the right thing ten years ago, those people would have met minimal set back. Indeed, the university might have actually come off better than they ever were if they had decisively and courageously done the right things with Sandusky.

Ive admired PSU most of my life but even before this scandle Ive been a little uncomfortable with the manic fanaticism among the PSU crowd when it came to anything and everything to do with football and JoPa. It is beyond cult-like. This action by the NCAA is intended as a punch in the nose to the program and their supporters to regain a proper perspective. I of all people am surprised I am saying this but it is only football. We are talking about child rape.

And the family should stfu. They are embarrassing themselves

WickerBill
07-24-12, 05:47 AM

And the family should stfu. They are embarrassing themselves

got that right. Jay Paterno is fast becoming a dictionary definition of denial.

Elmo T
07-24-12, 08:13 AM
Local news has several crews on the ground in State College.

They were interviewing a couple sobbing women outside Beaver Stadium - right after the statue was moved. Sad the statue was moved and this great injustice (my words) was set upon PSU. I should note that the tooth count was on the low side for them.

Want the reaction of the business folk? They sent a crew to interview shop owners. Each one (I think she said they tried a dozen) refused to talk or told the news crew to GTFO.

I am telling you - it is a different world up there. The more I see, the more I think this was the very punch in the nose (Mr. Longman's words) that this place needs.

As for the Joepa family :rolleyes: - read their press release:

How Sandusky was able to get away with his crimes for so long has yet to be fully understood, despite the claims and assertions of the Freeh report.

I think we all kniow that one.

The sanctions announced by the NCAA today defame the legacy and contributions of a great coach and educator without any input from our family or those who knew him best.

Seriously? The NCAA should have consulted his family? :saywhat:

This is not a fair or thoughtful action; it is a panicked response to the public's understandable revulsion at what Sandusky did.

No - it is a response to the inaction on the part of PSU.

Insomniac
07-24-12, 08:53 AM
Indeed, the university might have actually come off better than they ever were if they had decisively and courageously done the right things with Sandusky.

That would not be courageous. It only seems that way because they covered it up.

Indy
07-24-12, 10:51 AM
Innocents? Ok, it is good to be concerned for innocents, but are we so concerned when a large company goes bankrupt after horrific malfeasance on the part of management? Do we care that many of their retirees lose their pensions and healthcare? The truth is that life is not fair for all sorts of people much of the time. If you are looking for fairness in this world, you are badly deluded.

And even concerns for fairness do not get to the primary concern here, and that is changing the culture of Penn State, of college football, and of the country in general to get people to understand that this behavior will not be tolerated. Cultural change is very difficult to accomplish, but one sure fire way is to utterly destroy the egos of those with the toxic culture. Think Japan and the atom bomb -- for better or worse, we totally reset their thinking.

Penn State needed an atom bomb, and the NCAA just gave them a solid conventional bombing. They are hurt but not defeated. And the rest of college sports plays on. And the victims are still ruined, and they have no justice.

Ankf00
07-24-12, 12:23 PM
I hear your argument. It is sound and reasonable to say that innocent people should not be punished for something they didn't do. They aren't accesories to the crime. They didn't allow it to happen. They would have stopped it if they could. This is unfair because although the fines only apply to Penn State, the collateral damage will be felt deep and wide throughout the university and the community.

I reject this argument in it's entirety. I imagine this line of thinking, or one similar to it, was discussed everytime Sandusky's name came up at a Penn State board meeting. They weighed the costs of coming clean against the risk of a cover up and decided it would be better for everyone to keep quiet. The good of the many vs the few etc.

To make it clear that such a calculation can never again come out in favor of a cover up, the financial penalties for Penn State must be severe. This "impalement" not only punishes Penn State, it makes it easier for others to speak up in the future about misconduct at every NCAA university. They can now argue to the Athletic Director or the Board that reporting the crime will protect the community instead of endangering it.

As for the families and businesses in State College, it is not the NCAA sanctions that placed their future in jeopardy. It was Penn State acting selfishly that injured their town and their kids. Their pain is regrettable, but not sufficient reason to pardon Penn State.

Elmo compared the town to Disney World. If this goat rodeo happened in the Magic Kingdom, that place would be a boarded up ghost town.

[/soap box]

This. Every last bit of it. "Too Big to Fail" is a poor argument.

JoeBob
07-24-12, 01:12 PM
As they always say, it isn't the crime - it's the coverup.

JoePa knew that children were being sexually abused. He didn't call the cops. Nobody who knew what was happening picked up the phone and called 911. If you want to talk about innocent victims, talk about the children who were sexually abused.

As has been said, State College, PA is like Disney World. It is its own little world - everything in that town revolves around Joe Paterno and Penn State Football. When the NCAA gave out their punishment, they said that Penn State had a "football above everything else" culture. The locals feel the same way. That's why nobody called the cops when they found out that a sexual predator was abusing children. Nobody would call the cops upon discovering that children were being sexually abused - because they were scared of the effect it might have on the football team.

Will the community pay a price here? Yes. But the community also knew that children were being sexually abused, and didn't say a word about it.

Don Quixote
07-24-12, 01:36 PM
Times like these are rare, when JoeBob and I agree on something related to college football. [/secret buckeye handshake]

JoeBob
07-24-12, 02:48 PM
GO BLUE! ;)

Don Quixote
07-24-12, 09:47 PM
O-H ! :D

Andrew Longman
07-24-12, 11:21 PM
That would not be courageous. It only seems that way because they covered it up.Given how insane the thinking and fandom we are witnessing, I think you would agree that the first person to raise their hand and say, "no, we are going to do the full and right thing, regardless of the consequences to the school and community." would have been instantly and permanently ostrosized.

I'd like say I would do that... But not before swallowing hard.

Ironically the one guy who could have pulled it off unscathed and by example show the school and community how to put this in proper perspective was JoPa.

Insomniac
07-25-12, 12:07 AM
Given how insane the thinking and fandom we are witnessing, I think you would agree that the first person to raise their hand and say, "no, we are going to do the full and right thing, regardless of the consequences to the school and community." would have been instantly and permanently ostrosized.

I'd like say I would do that... But not before swallowing hard.

Ironically the one guy who could have pulled it off unscathed and by example show the school and community how to put this in proper perspective was JoPa.

Well, the people at the very top who covered it up could've done the right thing without the ostrosization. I'd agree given the attitude, defensiveness and actions of the community, current and past students that anyone below that group would've been ripped apart.

Oddly, the more people whine and defend PSU, the more I wish it was even further. Why can't people follow the new PSU leadership and accept it and forge a better PSU going forward?

Andrew Longman
07-25-12, 07:49 AM
. Why can't people follow the new PSU leadership and accept it and forge a better PSU going forward?That will be the critical point/question.

I have a feeling over the next several years as they tumble to the bottom of the B10 standings fans will just say they were screwed by the NCAA. Sadly I suspect doubling the penalties would just accomplish the same thing. Maybe not at another school, but from the PSU fans I know too many just aren't mentally well in regards to keeping perspective about the program.

... And I don't know if even the school president could have blown the whistle on Sandusky without criticism about how it hurting donations, recruiting, reputation, etc.

Elmo T
07-25-12, 08:03 AM
... And I don't know if even the school president could have blown the whistle on Sandusky without criticism about how it hurting donations, recruiting, reputation, etc.

Absolutely - especially if JoePa wasn't on-board. As said above, JoePa was THE ONE who could have brought this to a quick and decisive end. Folks outside of PA think he was only the football coach. Perhaps in title, but he was (is?) a deity on that campus. Cardboard cut-outs, bobble heads, the amount of JoePa swag was crazy.

Instead of saying their football program was above allowing these atrocities to continue and swiftly ending it, the made the decision that the football program so important they'd sweep it under the rug. :shakehead

WickerBill
07-25-12, 08:29 AM
So is JoePa hereby banished from Penn State lore? Will they allow giant cardboard JoePa heads to be taken into the stadium and waved around? Are we going to see Sandusky cardboard heads at opposing stadiums?

The world is sick, and I can envision significant extra security and crowd control (for both PSU and opposing fans) will be required all season.

Methanolandbrats
07-25-12, 09:03 AM
^^^ Don't know about that, but I see serious halloween costume potential.:D

Insomniac
07-25-12, 09:24 AM
That will be the critical point/question.

I have a feeling over the next several years as they tumble to the bottom of the B10 standings fans will just say they were screwed by the NCAA. Sadly I suspect doubling the penalties would just accomplish the same thing. Maybe not at another school, but from the PSU fans I know too many just aren't mentally well in regards to keeping perspective about the program.

It is nuts that you would be criticized for turning in a child rapist. Now I'm starting to feel like Gnam. The people (PSU Community) that they were so afraid of being upset because of that deserve to also feel the punishment.

Methanolandbrats
07-25-12, 09:32 AM
When the football team is 1-12 for a few years, I think the faithful will thin out a bit.

Indy
07-25-12, 11:00 AM
So is JoePa hereby banished from Penn State lore? Will they allow giant cardboard JoePa heads to be taken into the stadium and waved around? Are we going to see Sandusky cardboard heads at opposing stadiums?

The world is sick, and I can envision significant extra security and crowd control (for both PSU and opposing fans) will be required all season.

I already contacted Purdue and told them I would not be attending any Penn State games ever again, and I asked them to push for the Big Ten to remove them from the conference.

That being said, if I could hold up a giant Sandusky sign and taunt the hell out of them, I might be in.

And you know, I can't help but feel I should be ashamed of feeling that way, yet if you put it all in perspective... Consider the continuing hatred of Tony George, and God knows he deserves it, but put in perspective, the destruction he wrought is NOTHING compared to what Joe Paterno did. In my opinion he should be held up as the face of villainy, 2012 style.

Methanolandbrats
07-25-12, 12:38 PM
^^^ that is a good idea. I will inform the Badgers that I will not attend any contests that are Bucky vs The Gaping Sanduskies and the Big 10, 11, 12 or whatever the hell it is should kick them to the curb.

Elmo T
07-26-12, 08:10 AM
Currently making the rounds online:

http://i48.tinypic.com/2pouky9.jpg

nrc
08-14-12, 03:15 PM
The real "death penalty" is still in play. However unlikely, Penn State's accreditation is at risk.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/14/us-usa-pennstate-idUSBRE87D0SD20120814

Gnam
01-02-13, 05:23 PM
Some folks still don't get it.

Pa. governor sues NCAA over Penn State sanctions

In a bold challenge to the NCAA's authority, Pennsylvania's governor claimed in a lawsuit Wednesday that college sports' governing body overstepped its bounds and "piled on" when it penalized Penn State over the Jerry Sandusky child molestation scandal.

Gov. Tom Corbett asked that a federal judge throw out the sanctions, which include an unprecedented $60 million fine and a four-year ban on bowl games, arguing that the measures have harmed students, business owners and others who had nothing to do with Sandusky's crimes.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/Pa-governor-sues-NCAA-over-Penn-State-sanctions-4160475.php

Don Quixote
01-02-13, 05:45 PM
The cultists in happy valley still insist that this has nothing to do with the football program. Imagine the information that will come out in this lawsuit, the pending perjury trials and the lawsiuts by the rape victims.

Napoleon
01-02-13, 06:09 PM
Some folks still don't get it.

Somewhere a political strategist for someone planning to run against Corbett is already cutting a TV ad with grainy black and white footage of Corbett with a voice over saying “Gov. Corbett spent taxpayers’ money filing lawsuits to protect people hiding child molester from justice.”

Andrew Longman
01-02-13, 10:07 PM
Oh they get it. They are playing to a large (mostly central PA) PSU fanatic base who think the real crime was vacating all those JoPa wins and who think the massive fine PA taxpayers will be exporting dollars out of state to the the NCAA.

To their credit PSU administration wants nothing to do with the lawsuit and is pretty committed to putting the whole thing behind them the bast they can.

Elmo T
01-03-13, 08:57 AM
Oh they get it. They are playing to a large (mostly central PA) PSU fanatic base.

For those who don't know, Pennsylvania is Pittsburgh and Philadelphia with Kentucky/Alabama/you get the picture between the two. Seriously. I know it is an old joke, but drive across the state. :saywhat:

dando
01-03-13, 09:19 AM
For those who don't know, Pennsylvania is Pittsburgh and Philadelphia with Kentucky/Alabama/you get the picture between the two. Seriously. I know it is an old joke, but drive across the state. :saywhat:

It's scary enough driving through on 76. I can only imagine what the BFE areas are like. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Ankf00
01-03-13, 12:12 PM
It's scary enough driving through on 76. I can only imagine what the BFE areas are like. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Try 80 next time, and stop at a few rest areas and restaurants, especially circa happy valley, to get some real flavor

Andrew Longman
01-03-13, 12:48 PM
Listening to PA radio this morning part of the argument apparently is that the NCAA are simply doing the bidding of the (rest of/other Big 11) who want to damage PSU ability to recruit and win.

Ironically this sort of sick group thinking is exactly why Sandusky was protected and why the NCAA hit them so hard. As posted above there is some evidence that the PSU administration gets that even if the governor does not.

Even more telling is that Corbett had the opportunity to jail Sandusky years ago when he was AG but apparently put it off to run for Governor.

Elmo T
01-03-13, 12:55 PM
Even more telling is that Corbett had the opportunity to jail Sandusky years ago when he was AG but apparently put it off to run for Governor.

:rolleyes::thumdown:

Throw in the dead District Attorney (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/sports/ncaafootball/questions-on-sandusky-wrapped-in-2005-gricar-mystery.html?_r=0) and we have quite the TV movie.

Gricar went missing in April 2005. The murky circumstances surrounding his disappearance — an abandoned car, a laptop recovered months later in a river without a hard drive, his body was never found

Andrew Longman
01-03-13, 05:07 PM
Throw in the dead District Attorney (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/sports/ncaafootball/questions-on-sandusky-wrapped-in-2005-gricar-mystery.html?_r=0).I forgot about that. That's never been solved? Hmmmm. I always thought he either wanted to disappear or the Mob got him but I know a few righteous PSU boosters who would feel they were literally compelled to serve the public PA good by offing any threat to the PSU football program or JoPa.

That is not a joke. In the least. Seriously.

Don Quixote
01-03-13, 05:16 PM
Wait until when O'Brien leaves to take a pro job. The rioters will burn happy valley to the ground.

Insomniac
01-03-13, 05:31 PM
Wait until when O'Brien leaves to take a pro job. The rioters will burn happy valley to the ground.

I like how they negotiated additional years on his contract if there are sanctions and now his camp is leaking they were assured it was a criminal matter and there would be no sanctions.

Andrew Longman
01-04-13, 09:43 AM
But he was the special guy with the special needs son only interested in healing the wounds at PSU. :saywhat: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-06-07/bill-obrien-son-special-needs-jack-penn-state-coach-replacing-joe-paterno

Call me a cynic.

Insomniac
01-04-13, 10:37 AM
Now he's staying.

I'm not a one-and-done guy. I made a commitment to these players at Penn State and that's what I am going to do. I'm not gonna cut and run after one year. That's for sure.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8811626/bill-obrien-remaining-penn-state-nittany-lions-coach

Don Quixote
01-04-13, 11:20 AM
Now he's staying.

Not staying because he wants to. Staying because the buyout is too much.

Insomniac
01-04-13, 12:05 PM
Not staying because he wants to. Staying because the buyout is too much.

Supposedly. Is he the first NCAA coach to have a buyout to go to the NFL?

Don Quixote
01-04-13, 12:18 PM
Supposedly. Is he the first NCAA coach to have a buyout to go to the NFL?

I don't know, but maybe. In any event, something like 9.5 million is pretty steep, even by NFL standards. Such for him because he is a hot item right now, and several years from now he may be like Ferentz.

TKGAngel
01-04-13, 12:29 PM
Now he's staying.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8811626/bill-obrien-remaining-penn-state-nittany-lions-coach

What that article doesn't mention is that Terry Pegula threw in a nice 1.3 million donation so that O'Brien could stay. (That's a cool $103 million and change that T-Pegs has donated to PSU in the past few years.)

Insomniac
01-04-13, 03:59 PM
I don't know, but maybe. In any event, something like 9.5 million is pretty steep, even by NFL standards. Such for him because he is a hot item right now, and several years from now he may be like Ferentz.

What that article doesn't mention is that Terry Pegula threw in a nice 1.3 million donation so that O'Brien could stay. (That's a cool $103 million and change that T-Pegs has donated to PSU in the past few years.)

Fox Sports says it's closer to $19M: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/penn-state-nittany-lions-bill-obrien-big-buyout-for-interested-nfl-teams-010113

Ferentz had interest for a long time, just doesn't seem like he wants to go. It's good leverage as O'Brien demonstrated.

dando
01-04-13, 04:34 PM
Ferentz had interest for a long time, just doesn't seem like he wants to go. It's good leverage as O'Brien demonstrated.

Ferentz missed his opportunity. He initially drew interest after the '02 season, but the Hawkeyes got thrashed by 'SC in the Orange Bowl. He had a couple of strong seasons after that, but then some really bad teams/years in mid-00s. Interest was sparked again in '09, but they have gone lean again the past couple of seasons. Perhaps he wanted to coach his son the past few seasons. :confused: Anyway, I think he was highly overrated, and couldn't compete with the big boys in recruiting (specifically Wisky and Illinois regionally). Carpe diem, yo.

-Kevin

dando
01-04-13, 06:57 PM
The true reason O'Brien is returning to PSU....the Clowns scared him away from the NFL.

:gomer:

-Kevin

chop456
01-05-13, 08:50 AM
Stolen and paraphrased from Twitter, and I can't remember who it was.

Hey, Governor of Pennsylvania: If you're upset about Penn State paying that fine, just look the other way and pretend it isn't happening. :thumbup:

Insomniac
01-05-13, 11:16 AM
Ferentz missed his opportunity. He initially drew interest after the '02 season, but the Hawkeyes got thrashed by 'SC in the Orange Bowl. He had a couple of strong seasons after that, but then some really bad teams/years in mid-00s. Interest was sparked again in '09, but they have gone lean again the past couple of seasons. Perhaps he wanted to coach his son the past few seasons. :confused: Anyway, I think he was highly overrated, and couldn't compete with the big boys in recruiting (specifically Wisky and Illinois regionally). Carpe diem, yo.

-Kevin

I just don't think he wanted to make the leap.

Andrew Longman
01-05-13, 06:39 PM
I just don't think he wanted to make the leap.After asking so many kids to stay(even more could leave/not come this year) it would be truly Petrinoesque to jump ship.

So he has a soul unlike so many top coaches.

Insomniac
01-06-13, 12:47 PM
After asking so many kids to stay(even more could leave/not come this year) it would be truly Petrinoesque to jump ship.

So he has a soul unlike so many top coaches.

I meant Ferentz. :) Time will tell on O'Brien if the buyout stuff is true. If his current salary is now $2.5M, he'd expect what, $3M/yr at least? Typical 4-5 yr contract puts the salary and buyout at least $5.25M (4-yr, $9M buyout) to $6.8M/yr (5-yr, $19M buyout). Top college coaches typically get ~$5M/yr in the NFL. O'Brien has proven to be one yet. I'm a little surprised there isn't a Belichick stigma considering the lack of success from Weis, Crennel, Mangini and McDaniels.

Gnam
01-16-15, 03:57 PM
No justice. ***ing disgrace. :mad:

Penn State’s vacated wins from 1998 through 2011 will be restored as the NCAA and Penn State officials reached a proposed settlement in the lawsuit stemming from the NCAA’s sanctions against the university for allowing child sexual abuse on campus.

The NCAA also announced Friday that Penn State agreed to commit a total of $60 million to activities and programs for the prevention of child sexual abuse and the treatment of victims of child sexual abuse.

Last fall, the NCAA lifted its four-year postseason ban on the Nittany Lions, which allowed Penn State to participate in a bowl game for the first time since the scandal.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/joe-paterno-wins-restored-penn-state-ncaa-deal-article-1.2081396

dando
01-16-15, 04:33 PM
No justice. ***ing disgrace. :mad:

Yup. I had no faith in the NC2A before, and it's now at -11. If you want the flip side of the coin. watch the 30 for 30s (there are two) on The U. Documents the incompetence investigating. Time for the NC2A to just go away.