PDA

View Full Version : If they held a race at Mosport

cameraman
07-22-12, 11:12 PM
would any of us know about it?

Anyway the Flying Lizards won the race only to fail post-race tech inspection. They ran the stall test and the car didn't stall. The Lizards are complaining that the vacuum caused by blocking the air supply was cause some bit to deflect and cause an air leak. The stewards' response was along the lines of "Oh well, it sucks to be you."

NismoZ
07-23-12, 01:03 PM
Cool. So you mean Jan didn't have to make that last attempt to nudge the Lizzy out of the way, then have the Ferrari sneak by on the inside and end up the eventual winner!? Now THAT sucks. I was waiting for another Jan Laguna like pass. And THAT was awesome! Maybe some nice person here would like to post that one for those who missed it? Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Corvette, throw in a Viper...now just add 10-12 more cars and we have a REAL stand alone race!;)

NismoZ
07-23-12, 01:18 PM
In fact, which Porsche was it that REALLY nudged a Corvette right into a couple of walls (after being nudged out of the way in the final turn by the Corvette!:D) at the finish @ Laguna a few years ago? Was there not a penalty for THAT!? No wonder those guys keep hitting each other. Makes for fabulous finishes!:thumbup: Think about it. Ram your competitor into the wall and WIN...have a little air leak and lose!. Who is the ex-driver ALMS guest race steward, Willie T Ribbs?

cameraman
07-23-12, 01:38 PM
As I am not able to get ESPN3 and therefore can't watch ALMS races, I have no idea what you are talking about.

extramundane
07-23-12, 02:10 PM
As I am not able to get ESPN3 and therefore can't watch ALMS races, I have no idea what you are talking about.

If it's any consolation, even some of us who do get ESPN3 can't watch it with much reliability. Then again, aside from the GT class, there's not a hell of a lot to watch. Hopefully the ELMS teams all come over for Petit, otherwise that's going to be one sad-ass thousand miles.

But hey, the last 2/3 of Mid-Ohio will be live on ESPN2, so there's that. :\

extramundane
07-24-12, 12:50 PM
would any of us know about it?

Anyway the Flying Lizards won the race only to fail post-race tech inspection. They ran the stall test and the car didn't stall. The Lizards are complaining that the vacuum caused by blocking the air supply was cause some bit to deflect and cause an air leak. The stewards' response was along the lines of "Oh well, it sucks to be you."

http://www.lizardms.com/news/releases/2012/july-22.html

To our surprise, the No. 45 did not stall during this test after the race and was disqualified. You can imagine all the mechanics and engine people pulling their hair out trying to figure out what had gone wrong. We could not see anything wrong, and so protested the disqualification. We investigated the issue more thoroughly when the car was returned to us, and found that the air cleaner had been improperly fitted. This caused the device to flex during the race and the seal to eventually fail. This is very likely what caused us to fail the stall test.

While we are not certain that this caused us any advantage, rules are rules, and we support the Steward’s ruling. A very disappointing end to a great race.