PDA

View Full Version : Eastern storms, western fires, everyone ok?

nrc
07-02-12, 12:33 PM
The Friday storm made a mess of the pool and yard but no real damage. Power went out 5PM Friday but we were fortunate and had power back by 3AM. I attribute this to the fact that I went out immediately after the storm and bought a generator. Just a 3.25 kW portable but it was worth it to know that we won't be trashing the contents of our fridge/freezer any time soon.

The Sunday storm brought a pretty big limb down on the yard but no power outage that day. Some folks in our neighborhood are still running generators - likely they had a limb come down over their feed line.

Hope you're all cool and dry out there.

WickerBill
07-02-12, 12:45 PM
Cool and *extremely* dry here. Lightning bifurcated a giant tree about 10 houses away, and yet still no rain fell.

Insomniac
07-02-12, 01:14 PM
And those of us in between are being baked alive!

My co-worker had his house hit by lightning. Lost his flat screen TV, refrigerator and plenty of surge suppressors. Outside of material damage, everyone was OK thankfully.

cameraman
07-02-12, 03:21 PM
It's 89°F and the relative humidity is running at 11%. The driest days have been running at 5% rh. In Salt Lake there was less than 1/100 of an inch of rain for the month of June. Total water for the year is 6.5 inches, normal would be 15.

There aren't any fires burning in populated areas at the moment. Can't say how long that will last as this state is oversupplied with morons.

We have neighborhoods that have the potential to make Boulder, CO look like a campfire. We have avoided massive fire by invoking luck and that will continue to be the state's disaster planning strategy.

extramundane
07-02-12, 03:34 PM
We had crazy, out-of-nowhere storms last Monday that knocked out power to around 1/2 the metro area. Thursday kicked off the 4-day stretch of 100F+ temperature (heat indices in the 110F+ range). Almost everyone was back online when Friday night's Derecho blew through and took 3/4 of the metro down. More storms (including at least 2 tornados) Saturday night undid much of the restoration progress during the day.

We're lucky- we had 10 or so hours w/o power Monday night and a couple of flickers Friday, but otherwise A-OK. Some people on the other end of my block have been dark for a week and may not be back up 'til Friday or Saturday. And DC metro is even worse off yet.

At least it's "only" in the mid-90s this week. :saywhat: :shakehead

Gnam
07-02-12, 07:56 PM
Scary stuff going around.

For example, this weekend I saw a C3 Corvette burning on the side of the road.
I'm still pretty shaken up about it. ;)

Glad folks were able to stay safe. :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
07-02-12, 09:20 PM
^^^hope you did not breath any of the smoke, plastic is toxic when it burns. :D

nissan gtp
07-03-12, 08:36 PM
very lucky here (an hour N of extramundane), power at our place stayed on. with the oppressive heat, that's a really good thing. local damage was slight in comparison to other areas.

only damage was our cable modem, which got blowed up even tho we unplugged it (left the coax in :dope: )

cameraman
07-04-12, 12:27 AM
Fires to the north, fires to the south and a whole lot of fireworks in between...

dando
07-04-12, 11:15 PM
Keep yer damn smoke to yerselves. :gomer: :eek:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/home-garden-articles/earth-and-you/smoke-from-western-wildfires-r/67522

-Kevin