PDA

View Full Version : If a race doesn't happen in Chicago

SurfaceUnits
06-30-12, 09:37 PM
A proposal for an IndyCar race through the streets of Chicago has hit the marbles at City Hall, crashing before it could get started. Whether it has any hope of getting back on track is unclear.
The ambitious plan to stage a Chicago Grand Prix around Grant Park next summer was put forth by Deerfield-based Specialized Marketing Group (TSMGI), an event management firm that has been awarded race ownership and promotional rights for a Chicago race by IndyCar. But sources at City Hall told the Tribune a race isn't happening in the city in 2013 — and if it ever were to happen, it's unlikely to be staged around Grant Park. This directly affects the health, safety and welfare of citizens of the city of Chicago."

or Texas

Bruton Smith says he considers SMI's relationship with IndyCar as "strained". He says the series need "new leadership" and cars

Bruton Smith on whether IndyCar will return to TMS: "I'm leaving that up to Eddie [Gossage]. I don't really care & I don't think he does."

trish
07-01-12, 05:32 AM
A proposal for an IndyCar race through the streets of Chicago has hit the marbles at City Hall, crashing before it could get started. Whether it has any hope of getting back on track is unclear.
The ambitious plan to stage a Chicago Grand Prix around Grant Park next summer was put forth by Deerfield-based Specialized Marketing Group (TSMGI), an event management firm that has been awarded race ownership and promotional rights for a Chicago race by IndyCar. But sources at City Hall told the Tribune a race isn't happening in the city in 2013 — and if it ever were to happen, it's unlikely to be staged around Grant Park. This directly affects the health, safety and welfare of citizens of the city of Chicago."

or Texas

Bruton Smith says he considers SMI's relationship with IndyCar as "strained". He says the series need "new leadership" and cars

Bruton Smith on whether IndyCar will return to TMS: "I'm leaving that up to Eddie [Gossage]. I don't really care & I don't think he does."

Don't they already have both?

NismoZ
08-13-12, 07:01 PM
Good LORD..."the health, safety and welfare of the citizens of Chicago"!?? How many citizens were blown away there this past weekend? Safer in A'stan or Iraq.:rolleyes: OOoo, the NOISE, the FUMES, the PEOPLE!! That just isn't "Chicago Values":yuck: Maybe they'll just settle for an expanded 'Pride parade? Lay out a track at DuPage Co. Airport!:\

opinionated ow
08-13-12, 08:54 PM
Good LORD..."the health, safety and welfare of the citizens of Chicago"!?? How many citizens were blown away there this past weekend? Safer in A'stan or Iraq.:rolleyes: OOoo, the NOISE, the FUMES, the PEOPLE!! That just isn't "Chicago Values":yuck: Maybe they'll just settle for an expanded 'Pride parade? Lay out a track at DuPage Co. Airport!:\

I read somewhere that the Ganassi paperclip was operational again. Why not go there?

dando
08-13-12, 09:39 PM
I read somewhere that the Ganassi paperclip was operational again. Why not go there?

Don't think so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Motor_Speedway

In 1999, after the final season of the old Sportsman's Park, the main grandstand and infield were completely demolished to make way for the massive grandstand that was to follow. It was regarded as one of Chicago's most fateful days, as the end of the once grand racetrack drew near.

The track held CART races from 1999–2002, and NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series races in 2000 and 2001. Chicago Motor Speedway also held American Speed Association (ASA) races.

Portions of the motion picture Driven were shot at Chicago Motor Speedway.

In 2003 the town of Cicero purchased the track for $18 million. During 2005 the main grandstands were torn down but the track itself remained.

It's been reported that the site will be completely demolished and turned into a 11-acre (45,000 m2) outdoor festival park and 68 acres (280,000 m2) of retail stores and parking.[1][2]

On October 31, 2008 it was reported that contracts for the demolition of the remaining structures and track had been awarded.

Demolition of the remaining Sportsman's Park structures and the track itself began January 5, 2009.

-Kevin

stroker
08-13-12, 09:48 PM
needs moar stock block V8's running on natural gas...

http://www.gordonkirby.com/categories/columns/theway/2012/the_way_it_is_no348.html

Now THERE'S a Vision for ya.

opinionated ow
08-13-12, 10:17 PM
I thought Pat Patrick was a sensible bloke. Surely a tank inside a crash structure is the kind of explosion risk he is trying to argue it isn't. He came off sounding like a pushy salesman...

NismoZ
08-14-12, 12:00 AM
Uh, he IS a man of business. His business is oil and gas. I doubt his plan is about creating a non-profit venture. Certainly he wants to sell the idea and it sounds to me like the ALMS at least is interested. The (lack of) response from ICR is :shakehead...predictable? 655hp from a 2.0T? I LIKE that! Hmmm...a LNG SUPER ATLANTIC?:D Show how it works and if it works WELL, then he won't have to be a pushy salesman. Customers will come to HIM! (hope he won't return the calls from 16th St. ...for awhile anyway;))

extramundane
08-14-12, 09:06 AM
Certainly he wants to sell the idea and it sounds to me like the ALMS at least is interested.

They've already announced the intention to move the LMPC class to NG fuel as early as next year.

opinionated ow
08-14-12, 10:13 AM
Don't think so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Motor_Speedway

-Kevin

Ahh...I think I meant Gateway

dando
08-14-12, 10:31 AM
Ahh...I think I meant Gateway

Yeah, Gateway is still operating. IIRC, their main event now is NHRA.

-Kevin

stroker
08-14-12, 01:16 PM
I thought Pat Patrick was a sensible bloke. Surely a tank inside a crash structure is the kind of explosion risk he is trying to argue it isn't. He came off sounding like a pushy salesman...

The money line was "they have nothing to sell" which sums up the situation about as succinctly as I've heard yet.

Twisty Bits
08-15-12, 08:26 AM
Needs more draw bridge. :D