PDA

View Full Version : Saturday '14

Gnam
06-26-12, 06:28 PM
BCS installs a 4 team playoff system for 2014.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/four-team-seeded-playoff-approved-by-university-presidents-will-go-into-effect-for-2014-season-062612

May one of the best four teams from the biggest media markets in the country with the biggest fan bases win.

Andrew Longman
06-26-12, 06:52 PM
Not surprised.

But still very broken.

Worst IMO is how it has minimized the importance of winning your conference and beating traditional rivals. Crap, it is hard to tell who is in your conference and who your traditional rivals are anymore.

I'm sure Ank will explain how I am an out of touch old fart.:gomer:

And the BCS trophy is still stupid. That is a Rugby ball, not a football.

TravelGal
06-26-12, 08:32 PM
BCS installs a 4 team playoff system for 2014.

May one of the best four teams from the biggest media markets in the country with the biggest fan bases win.

Not surprised.

But still very broken.

Crap, it is hard to tell who is in your conference and who your traditional rivals are anymore.

I thought the same thing(s). Total FUBAR of something that is already beyond the pale. Further disintegration of any sort of regional rivalry that gets butts in the seats in exchange for eyeballs on the set. :yuck:

Methanolandbrats
06-26-12, 08:43 PM
WGAF. Collige football is all about making money to keep the boosters happy and pay a huge salary to the coach. "Sport" got left behind long ago. It's all about overweight middleage guys getting free food and booze on nice fall weekends.

stroker
06-26-12, 09:37 PM
WGAF. Collige football is all about making money to keep the boosters happy and pay a huge salary to the coach. "Sport" got left behind long ago. It's all about overweight middleage guys getting free food and booze on nice fall weekends.

I dunno about the rest of the country, but there's a whole pisspot full of silicone-injected blonde MILFs with lotsa jewelry at most of our games. I think they may have something to say about it, too.

Methanolandbrats
06-26-12, 09:40 PM
I dunno about the rest of the country, but there's a whole pisspot full of silicone-injected blonde MILFs with lotsa jewelry at most of our games. I think they may have something to say about it, too.

That's trickle down econmomics. They blow the coaches and rich alumni for shopping and lunch money.

Ankf00
06-26-12, 09:49 PM
Not surprised.

But still very broken.

Worst IMO is how it has minimized the importance of winning your conference and beating traditional rivals. Crap, it is hard to tell who is in your conference and who your traditional rivals are anymore.

I'm sure Ank will explain how I am an out of touch old fart.:gomer:

And the BCS trophy is still stupid. That is a Rugby ball, not a football.

you wanted a playoff, you got a playoff

dando
06-26-12, 10:00 PM
Epic. Fail. I still vote for the +1....the +1 always being ND. :gomer: :D Meh. It is what it is...baby steps. :shrug:

-Kevin

Insomniac
06-27-12, 07:49 AM
Guess I'm in the minority. The selection process will likely sour it, but I never had a problem when baseball only had 4 playoff teams. This idea of giving X teams a chance can get silly. Perform well to earn a spot. Upsets are nice, but make the rest of the games matter too. This (hopefully) gets rid of the awkward 3 teams at the top of the rankings problem. It also likely causes a big debate over #4.

Now everyone has until 2026 to figure out how (and convince) 100+ teams can have a regular season and playoffs that pays just as lucratively as it does now.

WickerBill
06-27-12, 09:00 AM
I like it. May not be perfect, but it is better than the BCS. Boise, Florida, and Ohio State are all undefeated? Cool. Figure it out on the field.

Andrew Longman
06-27-12, 09:15 AM
you wanted a playoff, you got a playoffWell, there is still the selection process by committee that is fubar.

And I suppose your cherished polls will either still be overly valued or discounted come selection time -- either way that is a mess.

Not mentioned in this is this will add games. Oolong more money, but at a time when we are starting to worry about concussions that seems not the way to go, especially for unpaid players.

Don Quixote
06-27-12, 09:47 AM
I like it. May not be perfect, but it is better than the BCS. Boise, Florida, and Ohio State are all undefeated? Cool. Figure it out on the field.Boise State will always be undefeated. :gomer:

dando
06-27-12, 11:54 AM
Now everyone has until 2026 to figure out how (and convince) 100+ teams can have a regular season and playoffs that pays just as lucratively as it does now.

Do you srsly think this will last for 12 years as currently defined? NFW.

-Kevin

TravelGal
06-27-12, 03:15 PM

Chip? That you? :D

Methanolandbrats
06-27-12, 04:25 PM
^^^ I have shot many, many pre-game booster events, award dinners and other social events for a major Big Ten athletic department. Also shot for the fund raising wing. I am very familiar with the whole procedure. They bring out bloody marys at 7am in huge drums to get things rolling. :D

Insomniac
06-27-12, 11:42 PM
Do you srsly think this will last for 12 years as currently defined? NFW.

-Kevin

It wasn't my thought:

A four-team playoff for college football has been formally approved by a presidential oversight committee, a dramatic change for the sport that will begin in 2014 and continue through the 2025 season.

I don't envision big changes. Do you think they maybe expand to 8?

Andrew Longman
06-28-12, 09:48 AM
I don't envision big changes. Do you think they maybe expand to 8?To be credible they need at least that.

But credibility will have nothing to do with it.

I think there are about 32 bowl games. University presidents like that because a high probability of making a bowl almost guarantees them a chance at a payday and a chance to put a party on for drunk alumni and boosters.

The handful of big money making bowls that matter also have stranglehold power over the NCAA who want their payday.

Any playoff system they come up with will have to either incorporate those bowls and almost sure payoff or supplant them because they pay better and with greater certainty.

I don't see a clear way for that to happen.

And even if they could find a way it would almost certainly mean that schools would need to cut back on what have been an expanding regular season schedule. If not they season could start to run close to 16 games and/or into February. I don't see that happening.

Methanolandbrats
06-28-12, 10:14 AM
Could have 8 or more team playoff if they quit playing non-conference, pre-season games against ****y teams for a payday. The weak team basicly agrees to get it's ass kicked on national TV for a big check that floats their athletic department for the year. I don't see that system going away anytime soon.

dando
06-28-12, 11:16 AM
It wasn't my thought:

I don't envision big changes. Do you think they maybe expand to 8?

My point was there is a deal in place until 2026. The format as currently defined won't last that long. Period. I'm guessing that w/in ~5 years the deal will be blown up as soon as they smell more $$$ can be made and the 'playoff' will be expanded to 8 teams.

If I were king...the 12th game would be removed from the schedule. Never should have happened, but the NC2A permitted it to level the playing field and stop the proliferation of the 'classics' games that were popping up like weeds. It also placated the college presidents for the time being by allowing them to stuff their pockets with cash for the short term. Now they need more $$$...conference realignment, conference championship games, and now a playoff. Behold the almighty Benjamin! The current bowl structure would be used for the top say 16 or so bowls. Other stupid bowl games would be ditched (you kmow like IndyCar races in cornfields), as would allowing .500 teams to be bowl eligible (the wussification of Amerika...get your participation certificate here!). Perhaps a few of the lower level games for the 'non-BC$' conferences would continue, but very few of those. That would be my ideal scenario, which I've been saying all along.

-Kevin

dando
06-28-12, 11:18 AM
Could have 8 or more team playoff if they quit playing non-conference, pre-season games against ****y teams for a payday. The weak team basicly agrees to get it's ass kicked on national TV for a big check that floats their athletic department for the year. I don't see that system going away anytime soon.

Nope. The NC2A opened up Pandora's Box on that one (and screwed the pooch). It's like trying to repeal a tax from lawmakers...the milk is already flowing from the tit, too late to stop now. :irked:

-Kevin

Ankf00
06-28-12, 12:41 PM
To be credible they need at least that.

But credibility will have nothing to do with it.

I think there are about 32 bowl games. University presidents like that because a high probability of making a bowl almost guarantees them a chance at a payday and a chance to put a party on for drunk alumni and boosters.

The handful of big money making bowls that matter also have stranglehold power over the NCAA who want their payday.

Any playoff system they come up with will have to either incorporate those bowls and almost sure payoff or supplant them because they pay better and with greater certainty.

The B12 and SEC did their part to cut the bowls out of their gravy train in the system, external to NCAA control AND hordes all revenue. The Pac and B1G want to maintain bowl structure though b/c of the Rose, nevermind all the revenue the other bowls skim like the mob.

Ankf00
06-28-12, 12:45 PM
My point was there is a deal in place until 2026. The format as currently defined won't last that long. Period.

they're not implementing the playoff until the current BCS contract expires.

they last time they tried to legitimately install a playoff was before the preceding BCS contract expired, they capitulated to renew the BCS system, and waited until that current contract was to expire...

modifications to selection committee/criteria is one thing, but structural overhaul from 4-8, with 4 extra games, would be starting from the ground up again

Andrew Longman
06-28-12, 11:55 PM
Ank: that's about right. And why it is fubar.

Kevin: yes, if you were king.

dando
06-29-12, 01:15 AM
they're not implementing the playoff until the current BCS contract expires.

they last time they tried to legitimately install a playoff was before the preceding BCS contract expired, they capitulated to renew the BCS system, and waited until that current contract was to expire...

modifications to selection committee/criteria is one thing, but structural overhaul from 4-8, with 4 extra games, would be starting from the ground up again

Times be a bit different now with conference channels, higher ratings, and the unis now have a taste of the smack. I'm also betting that state funding reductions for colleges will only get worse over the next several years. tOSU has invested $100s of million$ in upgrading the campus and athletic facilities over the past decade...gotta pay the piper somehow and tuition increases are capped by the state with minimal state funding increases.

-Kevin

Insomniac
06-30-12, 11:32 AM
My point was there is a deal in place until 2026. The format as currently defined won't last that long. Period. I'm guessing that w/in ~5 years the deal will be blown up as soon as they smell more $$$ can be made and the 'playoff' will be expanded to 8 teams.

If I were king...the 12th game would be removed from the schedule. Never should have happened, but the NC2A permitted it to level the playing field and stop the proliferation of the 'classics' games that were popping up like weeds. It also placated the college presidents for the time being by allowing them to stuff their pockets with cash for the short term. Now they need more $$$...conference realignment, conference championship games, and now a playoff. Behold the almighty Benjamin! The current bowl structure would be used for the top say 16 or so bowls. Other stupid bowl games would be ditched (you kmow like IndyCar races in cornfields), as would allowing .500 teams to be bowl eligible (the wussification of Amerika...get your participation certificate here!). Perhaps a few of the lower level games for the 'non-BC$' conferences would continue, but very few of those. That would be my ideal scenario, which I've been saying all along.

-Kevin

I'll wait and see how it plays out, but I think a 4 team playoff will be enough. I expect complaints from small conference schools who go undefeated and a fierce debate over the 4th team most years. Others will whine it should be 8, but given how disparate the schedules are, do they really need more than 4?

Andrew points out safety/concussions. Will they add more games just to entertain the fans? In the NFL, a wild card can win the whole thing (bleeping Giants), but does anyone believe that the #8 team is going to win 3 games?