PDA

View Full Version : Best Street Tire for Auto-X

Methanolandbrats
06-18-12, 03:47 PM
I have not autocrossed for a few years. Used to run Victoracers, but don't want the DOT-R points assesment with this car(midwest council rules, not SCCA). So, what's the best street tire on a 2000 lb FWD car (84 Rabbit GTI)?

Rogue Leader
06-18-12, 04:24 PM
I have not autocrossed for a few years. Used to run Victoracers, but don't want the DOT-R points assesment with this car(midwest council rules, not SCCA). So, what's the best street tire on a 2000 lb FWD car (84 Rabbit GTI)?

Falken Azenis, or Dunlop Direzza Z1 Start Spec. The Falkens are probably better for Auto X, but the Direzzas will last longer.

chop456
06-19-12, 02:02 AM
So, what's the best street tire on a 2000 lb FWD car (84 Rabbit GTI)?

Firestone 721's.

B3RACER1a
06-19-12, 07:23 AM
Hankook RS3 or Dunlop Star Specs. Falkens haven't been competitive for a long time. On your light fwd, Togo R1R might be the hot ticket too. R1R more sensitive to heat, RS3 love heat. Dunlops are good all around with heat.

Methanolandbrats
06-19-12, 10:36 AM
Firestone 721's.

Don't you have meat to smoke?

Methanolandbrats
06-19-12, 10:38 AM
Hankook RS3 or Dunlop Star Specs. Falkens haven't been competitive for a long time. On your light fwd, Togo R1R might be the hot ticket too. R1R more sensitive to heat, RS3 love heat. Dunlops are good all around with heat.

Dunlop comes in 195/60/14, probably be the one. Not many choices anymore for smaller wheels. Everybody be rollin' on big rimz. :D

TippyGomez
06-19-12, 12:43 PM
I prefer the Englebert "green" dots

Andrew Longman
06-20-12, 07:12 AM
Loving my Continentals at the moment.

Tried Hankook but they wore out too quickly for my liking. Same with Yokahama.

Rogue Leader
06-20-12, 07:41 AM
Dunlop comes in 195/60/14, probably be the one. Not many choices anymore for smaller wheels. Everybody be rollin' on big rimz. :D

That size is what we run on my Lemons Car, the Direzza has become a de-facto spec tire for Lemons. A few teams run others but 95% of the competitive ones run those.

I've probably bought 8 sets in the past 3 years lol

B3RACER1a
06-20-12, 01:14 PM
That size is what we run on my Lemons Car, the Direzza has become a de-facto spec tire for Lemons. A few teams run others but 95% of the competitive ones run those.

I've probably bought 8 sets in the past 3 years lol

Wow...lol. How do they handle extended periods of abuse? Anything over 80 deg outside and I have to bring the spray bottle to manage tire temps in autox.

Rogue Leader
06-20-12, 01:19 PM
Wow...lol. How do they handle extended periods of abuse? Anything over 80 deg outside and I have to bring the spray bottle to manage tire temps in autox.

This past weekend at Summit Point we had cooked them but that was after about 8 hours of racing. They seem to handle it normally pretty well, we just had to let out a **** ton of air to get the car to handle like it did earlier in the day.

Methanolandbrats
06-20-12, 07:55 PM
I prefer the Englebert "green" dots

I thought you would just go with whatever tires were on the stolen rims. :gomer:

gerhard911
06-20-12, 08:29 PM
Phoenix Stahlflex no longer the hot tire :confused:

B3RACER1a
06-21-12, 08:29 PM
This past weekend at Summit Point we had cooked them but that was after about 8 hours of racing. They seem to handle it normally pretty well, we just had to let out a **** ton of air to get the car to handle like it did earlier in the day.

LOL I hear ya there. I guess in autox, we're more worried about heat cycling them out rather than holding them at a hot temp for a long time. I've seen brand new and older more worn Star Specs delaminate down to the next layer of harder rubber from excessive heat at autox, especially on hot asphalt.

Are Hankook RS3's hitting the Lemons circuit like in AutoX? Tire Rack can hardly keep them in stock....in any size.

Rogue Leader
06-22-12, 11:33 AM
LOL I hear ya there. I guess in autox, we're more worried about heat cycling them out rather than holding them at a hot temp for a long time. I've seen brand new and older more worn Star Specs delaminate down to the next layer of harder rubber from excessive heat at autox, especially on hot asphalt.

Are Hankook RS3's hitting the Lemons circuit like in AutoX? Tire Rack can hardly keep them in stock....in any size.

Their treadwear is too low, lemons has a 190 minimum. I used to use the old Hankook RSsomethings till they changed them

Sean O'Gorman
06-24-12, 08:01 PM
Street tires: 195/50/15 Toyo R1R. It has a soft compound all the way through. The other size R1Rs have a soft outer compound, then a hard inner compound. The problem is the tread squirm at full tread makes it otherwise uncompetitive. That being said, it has been put out for member feedback in the latest Fastrack if this specific size tire should be banned from street tire classes. The R1R is also a fantastic rain tire.

The Hankook RS-3 is good in hot conditions (useless in the cold), but is a heavy tire and typically gives up at least a tenth off the line in a Prosolo launch. The Direzza Star Specs are good for cooler temps, it's what we've been running this year on the RX-8 I run.

For race tires, the Hoosier A6s are really the only way to go. It's also why I don't run in stock class, paying $1,000 for a set of tires that last as few as 12-15 runs on heavier FWD cars is f-ing stupid. For local stuff, the Kumho V710s work well.