PDA

View Full Version : Canada

stroker
06-09-12, 07:09 PM
Looks like the Red Bulls are back on pace. I don't know what's going on with Raikonnen, though...

Methanolandbrats
06-09-12, 07:40 PM
Looks like the Red Bulls are back on pace. I don't know what's going on with Raikonnen, though...

Neither do I and I listened to the whole interview.

NismoZ
06-09-12, 08:06 PM
What's goin' on with the demonstrators?:irked:

Methanolandbrats
06-09-12, 08:35 PM
What's goin' on with the demonstrators?:irked:

Probly heavily outnumbered by drunken race fans, so they called it a day and went for coffee. Good decision on their part. :D

gerhard911
06-09-12, 08:50 PM

Differential problem. Kimi mumbled that they should be able to fix it for tomorrow...

stroker
06-10-12, 04:52 PM
Boy, unless you're running hard tires you'd best plan on a two-stop race...

Insomniac
06-10-12, 05:23 PM
Boy, unless you're running hard tires you'd best plan on a two-stop race...

I guess any tires. :) :thumbup:

cameraman
06-10-12, 06:41 PM
Hamilton - two stops, lap 17 & 50
Grosjean started supersofts, lap 21 for softs
Perez started softs, lap 41 for supersofts
Vettel - two stops, lap 16 & 63
Alonso - started supersofts, lap 18 for softs
Rosberg - two stops, lap 18 & 38
Webber - two stops, lap 17 & 52
Kimi started softs, lap 40 for supersofts
Kobayashi started supersofts, lap 24 for softs

Grosjean's tires were three laps newer:rolleyes: than Alonso's when he blew past him.

WickerBill
06-10-12, 07:38 PM
Enjoyed the race. Wish Button could figure out his car. Wish Massa hadn't spun.

stroker
06-10-12, 07:40 PM
nevermind

Insomniac
06-11-12, 08:27 AM
When Hamilton lost 1s in the pits and another second to Alonso on track, I assumed Alonso was coming in for super softs. Ferrari must've really believed the tires would hold and Vettel would also stay out. His tires fell off a cliff. :thumbup: Hamilton (but him trying to force a pass on Alonso was stupid, he had him easily with DRS).

opinionated ow
06-11-12, 11:48 AM
After the 7th winner in a row, my Dad looked at me and said this is beyond a joke. He's right. Spec tyres should never create this much of a lottery.

SteveH
06-11-12, 12:15 PM
After the 7th winner in a row, my Dad looked at me and said this is beyond a joke. He's right. Spec tyres should never create this much of a lottery.

However, there isn't spec strategy. Differing strategies made the difference.

WickerBill
06-11-12, 01:22 PM
Not sure I agree. Both Red Bulls have won, which is legit... both McLarens have won, which is legit... Ferrari is legit... I honestly think the Mercedes has the capability to be competitive regardless of the tires, so that leaves one outlier winner -- Maldonado. One outlier out of seven isn't unheard-of, and it's a lot better IMO than the fuel-economy wins we see in NASCAR (or even used to see in ChampCar at times).

Strategy put Perez and Grosjean on the podium, but neither are dead-weight backmarkers... both the Sauber and Lotus are fast cars.

devilmaster
06-11-12, 01:47 PM
Strategy put Perez and Grosjean on the podium, but neither are dead-weight backmarkers... both the Sauber and Lotus are fast cars.

Which would be nice if they still had the original Hockenheim along with Canada and Monza. Too many Tilke med-straight, 2nd gear turn tracks... Sorta like nascar with its 1.5 cookie cutters

Hard Driver
06-11-12, 09:35 PM

DING DING DING, we have a winner.

I have lost much interest this year. I fast forward through most of the races and even so, I feel like if I hear the word "tire" one more time I will bash my own brain in. There should be more to F1 than tires and a gimmicky DRS.

NismoZ
06-11-12, 10:23 PM
Sprinklers?:)

Methanolandbrats
06-12-12, 06:17 AM
The tire degradation would be palatable if they got rid of DRS and KERS. Tire management is driver touch and chassis setup, the other two, especially DRS are gimmicks. When Fred roasted his tires, he could have held the others off for a few corners to laps if they did not have DRS. That would have been outstanding racing. Instead we were treated to several pointless passes.

chop456
06-12-12, 06:30 AM
You don't understand racin'. Any pass is a good pass. :tony:

WickerBill
06-12-12, 07:22 AM
When Fred roasted his tires, he could have held the others off for a few corners to laps if they did not have DRS. That would have been outstanding racing. Instead we were treated to several pointless passes.

Agree with your point, but not the example... Alonso fell off a cliff and was 4 sec per lap slower, so (like Hamilton did) I think they all could have passed him anywhere, but most just chose to wait for the DRS zone. I think all that used the straight were side-by-side with him by the time they opened their wing anyway.

I'm going to invent a way to clear marbles off the road and be rich.

Methanolandbrats
06-12-12, 07:26 AM
^^^ They could have TRIED to pass him anywhere and it would have been excellent watching the blocking/outbraking/side by side race craft. :thumbup: Instead, they just did a plate racing move on the straight. :yuck:

datachicane
06-12-12, 09:50 AM
Still, helluva drive by Hamilton. Ferrari and Red Bull borked themselves on strategy at the end, but Hamilton's pace had them outmatched even before that (likely leading to the risky strategy in the first place).

Indy
06-14-12, 08:06 AM

Does nothing make you happy? I agree that DRS and KERS are jokes, but the Pirelli tires essentially simulate what we would have with a tire war. That is not really an unnatural situation.

opinionated ow
06-14-12, 10:08 AM
Does nothing make you happy? I agree that DRS and KERS are jokes, but the Pirelli tires essentially simulate what we would have with a tire war. That is not really an unnatural situation.

They bloody well do not. There is no way that a tyre manufacturer would put their name to something that performs as poorly as those tyres do if they had a competitor.

cameraman
06-14-12, 10:45 AM
Look up the 2005 United States Grand Prix.:shakehead

Indy
06-14-12, 02:35 PM
Tire wars = gumballs, short usable life, too much clag. Just like now.

opinionated ow
06-14-12, 07:14 PM
Look up the 2005 United States Grand Prix.:shakehead

I know it's not a popular sntiment in the USofA but when they found they had a product unsuitable, Michelin withdrew rather than have other potential problems. Better of two evils and just a risk in competition.

datachicane
06-14-12, 08:50 PM
I'm pretty sure the negative sentiment surrounding the 2005 USGP isn't limited to the US.