PDA

View Full Version : Swimming pool maintenance

WickerBill
06-09-12, 10:12 AM
Bought a house with a pool. Big mistake. Everyone else loves it, but I have to take care of it. I know more about water chemistry than I ever wanted to know.

I'm just leaving this here as a marker for anyone else who comes here or searches for this... the pool stores are a ripoff. I spent two years believing what they told me and got my pool into an awful mess, and have only gotten out of it recently by finding "the BBB method" on the internet (bleach, baking soda, and Borax). More info on that if you want it.

But to the topic: unless you're interested in a new hobby that will take all of your free time and a lot of your free money, which involves fighting algae, alkalinity, calcium hardness, and pH constantly so other people can enjoy your pool, also involves replacing liners, covers, heaters, constantly emptying skimmer baskets and cleaning filters (thanks for the pool right next to the tree line, previous owners!), and you don't ever plan on leaving your house for more than three days during swim season, I'd suggest avoiding the houses with pools.

That is all.

cameraman
06-09-12, 10:20 AM
I had a summer/after school job maintaining a neighbor's pool when I was in high school. In the 30+ years since then I've never once felt the desire to own a pool. Not once. Ever.

dando
06-09-12, 10:25 AM
The best way to maintain a pool: cement. I can't list the number of examples of peeps around here that had pools and ended up filling them in with cement so they could sell them. My uncle had a decent house with a pool on the market for over two years before he finally did the needful and it sold in a few mos. afterwards. IMO, pools are like the beach...nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Word.

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
06-09-12, 11:27 AM
When I was a kid we moved to a new town. There were two houses we looked at on the same block. One had a pool. My mom put the kibosh on buying it because of the pool and we bought the other one. We became friends with the family that wound up buying it. I spend a lot of summers swimming in their pool. They spent countless hours and days in upkeep until the finally pulled it out.

FWIW I know several people who have gone to salt water pools on the promise of less maintenance.

Methanolandbrats
06-09-12, 11:28 AM
Fill it with soil and make a garden.

dando
06-09-12, 11:43 AM
FWIW I know several people who have gone to salt water pools on the promise of less maintenance.

Meh. Just pee in 'em. Same effect. :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
06-09-12, 12:13 PM

-Kevin

I never go near public pools, nuthin but huge toilets. Our local pool started selling passes to daycare centers and other holding pens for kids. Busloads of em line up and the pool is now full of **** caked toddlers and babies pissing up a storm. :yuck: I rather swim in the amazon and risk those fish that swim up your dick than go in that pool.

TravelGal
06-09-12, 12:21 PM
Fill it with soil and make a garden.

I can't tell you how many times we've thought of that. :D We had our chance but Mother Nature let us down. The only thing that DIDN'T crack in the Northridge earthquake was our huge, dogleg shaped pool. Yah, thanks previous owners. No automatic cover will cover it without covering the majority of the yard around it too.

I told TravelGuy about this thread (pool near the tree line) and he said, UH! before even hearing the rest about the water itself. At least we have been blessed in recent years by neighbors who have a phobia about trees. One by one, the 40-50 year old trees in our neighbors' yards have been removed. Pool is relatively easy to maintain now with a Kreepy Krawly. Until the Santa Ana winds, of course. Or when it's 110 and the chlorine zaps away in a day. Or, or, or.

Andrew Longman
06-09-12, 12:49 PM

-Kevinhttp://i1.cpcache.com/product/202430552/i_pee_in_pools_fitted_tshirt.jpg?color=White&height=460&width=460

dando
06-09-12, 01:20 PM
http://i1.cpcache.com/product/202430552/i_pee_in_pools_fitted_tshirt.jpg?color=White&height=460&width=460

Bestest was the sign my uncle used to have...I don't swim in your toilet, so don't pee in my pool. :D

-Kevin

RaceGrrl
06-09-12, 03:20 PM
Trees. Check.
Dead things in skimmer. Check.
Replacing heater. Check.
BBB chemicals. Check.

Summer by the pool with a frosty drink and a book and no screaming kids or yapping moms on cell phones. Check. Check.

I like our pool.

nrc
06-09-12, 03:25 PM
I love our pool. I love the fact that Grrl takes care of it.

When we were house shopping Grrl said she wanted a house with a pool. I told her the only way that would happen would be if she took care of it. Done and done.

I take care of the yard. She takes care of the pool. Nothing better after mowing on a 95 degree day than a dip in the pool.

KLang
06-09-12, 04:02 PM
the pool stores are a ripoff.

Learned this the hard way recently when no matter how much shock or chlorine tablets I added the pink slime would not go away. Pool forum.com has all the answers. After partially draining our pool twice so far I can finally at least measure my CYA levels. :saywhat: Now I am working on straightening everything else out.

Beware of pool stores that test with those little strips. :mad: At least the local Leslie's told me the first time I went in I had a problem only draining would resolve. The guy I had been using kept telling me to add more bags of shock, compounding the problem.

G.
06-09-12, 07:08 PM
Learned this the hard way recently when no matter how much shock or chlorine tablets I added the pink slime would not go away. Pool forum.com has all the answers. After partially draining our pool twice so far I can finally at least measure my CYA levels. :saywhat: Now I am working on straightening everything else out.

Beware of pool stores that test with those little strips. :mad: At least the local Leslie's told me the first time I went in I had a problem only draining would resolve. The guy I had been using kept telling me to add more bags of shock, compounding the problem.

How does one measure their Cover Your Ass levels?

I need to add a few levels at work.

:gomer:

WickerBill
06-09-12, 07:38 PM
My CYA was 180 last closing, and we had this miraculously warm winter, hot April, and I opened my pool late. Guess what? CYA, under these EXACT conditions and only these conditions, turns into ammonia. LOTS of ammonia. Guess what ammonia allows to grow in great abundance? Algae.

What a FUN last week I've had.

But it's clear now, and the kids are having a pool party. Hope they're happy. *grumble*

KLang
06-09-12, 07:54 PM
My CYA was 180 last closing, and we had this miraculously warm winter, hot April, and I opened my pool late. Guess what? CYA, under these EXACT conditions and only these conditions, turns into ammonia. LOTS of ammonia. Guess what ammonia allows to grow in great abundance? Algae.

What a FUN last week I've had.

But it's clear now, and the kids are having a pool party. Hope they're happy. *grumble*

Mine was higher than the test could measure, I'm guessing at least 300. I figured this stuff out the end of last year. We were in the middle of the worst drought in I don't how long so draining and refilling the pool didn't seem right at that time. I was using at least 6 gallons of bleach a week to keep the crud down.

Now after refilling with our soft, too alkaline house water I'm working those issues.

Year round chore around here, the pool never closes.

WickerBill
06-09-12, 08:20 PM
BBB chemicals. Check.

Oh, thanks for telling me earlier!! ;)

Elmo T
06-10-12, 07:07 AM

-Kevin

My buddy had a pool when we were growing up. His Dad used to tell us he added a chemical to the pool that would change colors if you did. ;):rofl: You couldn't find it at the pool store - he brought it home from his work (a chemical company) - which is why we could never find it anywhere. :rolleyes:

We were 8, it sounded legit at the time. :)

I still tell my kids that people do that. :rofl:

Rex Karz
06-10-12, 07:36 AM
We have a hot tub as it came with the house when we bought it several years ago. We never had any interest in getting a house with a hot tub.

Hot tub is bad enough. Can't imagine what a pool would be like.

mapguy
06-10-12, 05:30 PM
Bestest was the sign my uncle used to have...I don't swim in your toilet, so don't pee in my pool. :D

-Kevin

Back when I was young I had a friend with a pool. His dad put up a sign on the gate that said `Welcome to our ool. Notice there is no `P` in itÉ Let`s keep it that way.`

WickerBill
06-10-12, 05:47 PM
Back when I was young I had a friend with a pool. His dad put up a sign on the gate that said `Welcome to our ool. Notice there is no `P` in itÉ Let`s keep it that way.`

Welcome to our "L"....

RaceGrrl
06-10-12, 11:27 PM
:laugh::laugh:

sadams
06-11-12, 08:11 AM
I've had an inground pool for 20 years never spend more than a 1/2 hour a week on mantenance.
Steps I've learned over the years:
1) Don't belive pool store they'll trun the pool into a toxic dump.
2) PH is critical followed by available clorine
3) Use floating clorine dispensers and 3" slow disolve tabs
4) Get and Aquabot or Kreepy Krawley
5) Shock the snot out of it before winter close
6) Open it before the water warms too much and alge starts

I filter for about an hour every couple of days and run the Aquabot once a week.

Ziggy
06-12-12, 10:30 AM
Nice rant, but no dice

I bought a house with a 42,000 gallon in ground pool last year. If you can't figure out pool stores are ripping you off than you truly are a moron. The chemistry on illegal dope is more difficult than the water maintenance.

It's a blast, and it's not that much work

Methanolandbrats
06-12-12, 11:00 AM
42,000 gallons, damn. Do you ever have to do a partial or full water change in pools, or do you just replenish water lost to evaporation? What happens in a cold climate, do you drain it for winter or just use it for a skating rink?

WickerBill
06-12-12, 01:23 PM
Nice rant, but no dice

I bought a house with a 42,000 gallon in ground pool last year. If you can't figure out pool stores are ripping you off than you truly are a moron. The chemistry on illegal dope is more difficult than the water maintenance.

It's a blast, and it's not that much work

Disagree, especially when it's a swamp and parts are breaking down due to (previous owner's) lack of any form of maintenance.

Gnam
06-12-12, 01:32 PM
silly easterners. Pools are for Californians. :p

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/944/b794e425d87e0ff2c4a8772.jpg

Hard Driver
06-12-12, 02:32 PM
I enjoy our pool. Yes I do the maint. On my 3rd year in the house. Finally have it figured out and it is not too bad to keep. Just keep the chorine tabs in the dispenser and run the auqabot.

Ziggy
06-12-12, 03:00 PM
"Disagree, especially when it's a swamp and parts are breaking down due to (previous owner's) lack of any form of maintenance."

Well, there you go. Once I fixed the pump, chlorinator (which was plumbed to effect water going into the filter) changed the sand in the filter (300 lbs) I quit having problems. I went big time over board with the Pentair pump. Bought a Hayward and it was junk brand new out of the box. It does require staying on top of, from the skimmer poles to the vaccume hose, but all in all it has not been that much of a problem.

sodaashdirect
muratic acid from Lowe's
I use Azure chlorine

Methanolandbrats
06-12-12, 04:40 PM
Is there any way to kill the bad stuff that won't kill fish? It would be awesome to swim around with bluegills, perch, bass and maybe a walleye or two. After you got done with a swim, you could hop out, pour a beer and catch dinner. :D

Don Quixote
06-12-12, 04:59 PM
Is there any way to kill the bad stuff that won't kill fish? It would be awesome to swim around with bluegills, perch, bass and maybe a walleye or two. After you got done with a swim, you could hop out, pour a beer and catch dinner. :DSounds like you want a ceeeement pond.

RaceGrrl
05-29-13, 09:27 PM
Opened the pool last Friday, water is looking good, cleaned out a few leaves that found their way into the water.

After one week open, we already have two chipmunk casualties.

TravelGal
05-30-13, 03:35 AM
Opened the pool last Friday, water is looking good, cleaned out a few leaves that found their way into the water.

After one week open, we already have two chipmunk casualties.

Jeebers. :eek: I thought 1000 crickets was bad. Maybe not that many but it seemed like it.

RaceGrrl
05-30-13, 08:47 AM
eek! 1000 crickets is bad. We bought our house in 2005, a year after the last brood of 17 yr cicadas emerged. Glad to have missed that mess!

WickerBill
05-30-13, 08:54 AM
Opened to clear water and no algae at all this year. Had to replace the light which was crazy expensive, but otherwise, all systems go. Had a good 5000 dead worms to vacuum up at open, however.

datachicane
05-30-13, 12:44 PM
My folks built an addition with a good-sized indoor pool back when I was in high school, also had an attached hot tub with sort of a waterfall-wall thing separating them. Lotta big parties in that house while they were out of town, although there was an unspeakable mess when a former girlfriend decided to dump a bottle of bubble bath in the hot tub- I scooped literally cubic yards of foam out into the back yard for three days before my folks got home, filled the place near to the ceiling.

My folks traveled a bunch, and were notorious for coming home a day or two early (probably to keep my younger brother and I honest). After I left for college every once in a while I'd cruise by late at night when they were out of town. I could hear the jacuzzi pump running, lights off, brother's girlfriend's car in the driveway, so I'd hit the garage door remote and keep driving. :gomer:

I rented it from them for a few years after they retired, keeping the thing in balance wasn't bad at all. The killer was the power bill, yikes.

Gnam
05-30-13, 01:22 PM
:laugh: I think your ex-girlfriend works for the Air Force now.

http://theaviationist.com/2012/05/14/foam-party/

http://s18.postimg.org/ydggw5ryx/original.jpg

dando
05-30-13, 02:20 PM
My folks built an addition with a good-sized indoor pool back when I was in high school, also had an attached hot tub with sort of a waterfall-wall thing separating them. Lotta big parties in that house while they were out of town, although there was an unspeakable mess when a former girlfriend decided to dump a bottle of bubble bath in the hot tub- I scooped literally cubic yards of foam out into the back yard for three days before my folks got home, filled the place near to the ceiling.

My folks traveled a bunch, and were notorious for coming home a day or two early (probably to keep my younger brother and I honest). After I left for college every once in a while I'd cruise by late at night when they were out of town. I could hear the jacuzzi pump running, lights off, brother's girlfriend's car in the driveway, so I'd hit the garage door remote and keep driving. :gomer:

I rented it from them for a few years after they retired, keeping the thing in balance wasn't bad at all. The killer was the power bill, yikes.

Risky Business? ;)

-Kevin

RaceGrrl
05-30-13, 03:15 PM
Opened to clear water and no algae at all this year. Had to replace the light which was crazy expensive, but otherwise, all systems go. Had a good 5000 dead worms to vacuum up at open, however.

Which light? Our deep end light has been out for a couple of seasons and I've put off checking into it b/c I think it's going to be expensive. :eek::eek:

We're also going to have to replace the liner in a year or two. When we bought the place, the homeowner said it would need to be replaced in 5 years, which was 2010. We're getting along with it now, but it's definitely showing wear.

TravelGal
05-30-13, 05:05 PM
Which light? Our deep end light has been out for a couple of seasons and I've put off checking into it b/c I think it's going to be expensive. :eek::eek:

We're also going to have to replace the liner in a year or two. When we bought the place, the homeowner said it would need to be replaced in 5 years, which was 2010. We're getting along with it now, but it's definitely showing wear.

We have an in-ground cement pool. When our deep end light went out, we lowered the water level below the light, opened the casing and replaced the bulb closed the casing, and refilled the pool. Cost about $15 for the bulb and $5 for the water. Why one needs this light, I'll never know. We don't enter any water except jacuzzi water after the sun goes down.

WickerBill
05-30-13, 06:22 PM
Because sharks hate jacuzzis? :)

Grrl, deep end light. 500w, it was over $300 to replace. The funny part is, the bulb itself was somehow still working even though the "waterproof" she'll was rusted out and killing my water chemistry. The price is all about the case, from what I gather.

Replacing it with an LED of equal brightness (but far less power draw) was nearly $750. No way I would get any TCO return out of that.

WickerBill
05-30-13, 06:23 PM
Because sharks hate jacuzzis? :)

Grrl, deep end light. 500w, it was over $300 to replace. The funny part is, the bulb itself was somehow still working even though the "waterproof" shell was rusted out and killing my water chemistry. The price is all about the case, from what I gather.

Replacing it with an LED of equal brightness (but far less power draw) was nearly $750. No way I would get any TCO return out of that.

WickerBill
07-17-13, 01:21 PM
Aaaand here we are again. Funny I mentioned in the original post "not leaving the house for more than 3 days during swim season". I'm in Jolly Old, and my pool pump blew up. That's not entirely figurative, either.

The old "Hi there AJAX pool company, I'm in England and really need help fast or I'm going to come home to a mess" line didn't work; everyone was working on next week's schedule. Fortunately I had a favor to call in -- a local pool company worked on my pool earlier this year when I didn't need work done -- they were at the wrong house. The owner had called to apologize, and I remembered his name... so I called him back and asked if I could trade in my goodwill for a quicker appointment. He's trying; hopefully they come out very soon.

nrc
07-17-13, 01:43 PM
Our pool looks surprisingly good considering that a storm dumped all kinds of debris in it and then the power was out for three days. No idea what Grrl had to do to get the chemicals right after she cleaned the debris out.

Thanks for the excuse to post this picture. This is Cooper playing Captain this weekend.

WickerBill
07-18-13, 02:47 AM
Awesome. My dogs are somehow completely uninterested in the pool, even when it's very hot outside.

Napoleon
07-18-13, 08:26 AM
My dogs are somehow completely uninterested in the pool, even when it's very hot outside.

You need to get mermaids for your pool for them to look at:

Andrew Longman
07-18-13, 04:25 PM
Awesome. My dogs are somehow completely uninterested in the pool, even when it's very hot outside.funny thing about dogs. I once had a Golden who simply had to swim in Lake Superior even in January if he got a whiff of it from a quarter mile away. If there was a puddle he'd find it and roll in it.

I now have some sort of "custom" mix we rescued and won't even go out to pee if it is raining.

indyfan31
07-18-13, 04:46 PM
I have a Labrador that won't go in the pool, he's afraid of water. Really dude? You're a LABRADOR, you've got WEBBED FEET! :rolleyes:

nrc
07-18-13, 06:03 PM
Awesome. My dogs are somehow completely uninterested in the pool, even when it's very hot outside.

Our youngest are very interested in the pool but not so interested in getting in the pool. We've been working to get them into the pool enough to try and make sure that they know how to get to the steps so they can get out if they should end up going in by accident.

Andrew Longman
07-18-13, 06:23 PM
As a kid a neighbor friend's dad said dogs pee immediately as soon as they hit pool water. YMMV

pfc_m_drake
07-18-13, 08:54 PM
Aaaand here we are again. Funny I mentioned in the original post "not leaving the house for more than 3 days during swim season". I'm in Jolly Old, and my pool pump blew up. That's not entirely figurative, either.

The old "Hi there AJAX pool company, I'm in England and really need help fast or I'm going to come home to a mess" line didn't work; everyone was working on next week's schedule. Fortunately I had a favor to call in -- a local pool company worked on my pool earlier this year when I didn't need work done -- they were at the wrong house. The owner had called to apologize, and I remembered his name... so I called him back and asked if I could trade in my goodwill for a quicker appointment. He's trying; hopefully they come out very soon.

That sucks (e.g. pump blowing up while you're not there).
I had a similar situation. Was out of town for Christmas vacation and came home to discover that the cap on my filter had cracked and half of the pool was empty. Luckily, after replacing the cap and refilling the pool, all has been well since.

I have to say though - I don't do anything special to mine regarding chemicals and whatnot. I use the big chlorine tabs and add a 1 lb bag of Wal*Mart shock once a week when it's really hot. Other than that, the water is always crystal clear and I haven't had a lick of trouble. I will say that what probably helps me is that since I'm in South Florida, I maintain it year-round (never closed). Plus I have a screened enclosure which really helps keep it clean.

If I lived in Indy I'd offer to go over to your house and fix your pump for you, but alas...

TravelGal
07-18-13, 10:40 PM
Hijack alert. We're going to have to replace our pool filtration system next year. TravelGuy is tired of making what we have work. It's DE and about 30 years old. What does anyone recommend? Please don't ask how many gallons. I'm with TravelMom and I can't remember but I decided to grab this chance to slip in my question. ;) I'ts big. How's that? 30,000 gallons comes to mind but no idea if that's correct. We currently do our own chemical maintenance and use a Kreepy Krawley to keep it clean. Any thoughts?

nrc
07-19-13, 12:36 AM
As a kid a neighbor friend's dad said dogs pee immediately as soon as they hit pool water. YMMV

Doesn't everyone? :gomer:

WickerBill
07-19-13, 12:20 PM
Hijack alert. We're going to have to replace our pool filtration system next year. TravelGuy is tired of making what we have work. It's DE and about 30 years old. What does anyone recommend? Please don't ask how many gallons. I'm with TravelMom and I can't remember but I decided to grab this chance to slip in my question. ;) I'ts big. How's that? 30,000 gallons comes to mind but no idea if that's correct. We currently do our own chemical maintenance and use a Kreepy Krawley to keep it clean. Any thoughts?

I hate my cartridge filter. If I were replacing my system, I'd buy a slightly oversized sand filter, a good pump (I'd like a Hayward Super II Pump, but evidently I got whatever they had on the truck yesterday -- wife says "it's black"), and add a little bit of DE to the sand to get it more clear. Details here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter

In fact, I'd highly suggest searching for or asking your question on the forum over there. All the information from their Pool School and the mods is excellent.

TravelGal
07-19-13, 10:13 PM
I hate my cartridge filter. If I were replacing my system, I'd buy a slightly oversized sand filter, a good pump (I'd like a Hayward Super II Pump, but evidently I got whatever they had on the truck yesterday -- wife says "it's black"), and add a little bit of DE to the sand to get it more clear. Details here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter

In fact, I'd highly suggest searching for or asking your question on the forum over there. All the information from their Pool School and the mods is excellent.

:thumbup: I shall use it for my midnight reading.

WickerBill
08-03-13, 06:40 PM
So far this year, with perfect water and the pool being very easy chemically, I've:

- opened the pool
- replaced the light
- replaced the pump motor
- fixed a leak
- replaced the floor cleaning system distributor

I'm not afraid anymore to say the only things that are left to go wrong: huge leak under the concrete; heater goes out; and cover motor blows up. Bring it on you stupid money pit.

cameraman
08-03-13, 07:27 PM
So far this year, with perfect water and the pool being very easy chemically, I've:

- opened the pool
- replaced the light
- replaced the pump motor
- fixed a leak
- replaced the floor cleaning system distributor

I'm not afraid anymore to say the only things that are left to go wrong: huge leak under the concrete; heater goes out; and cover motor blows up. Bring it on you stupid money pit.

Pish, you have no idea. Some guy with more money than sense up the mountain side here built an in-ground pool on a filled 15% grade. The entire pool moved 5 feet southwest this spring...

nrc
08-04-13, 03:12 AM
The pool looks great and the only damage this year has been a solar cover. Now if we could get some actual summer temperatures we could enjoy it.

dando
08-04-13, 12:22 PM
The pool looks great and the only damage this year has been a solar cover. Now if we could get some actual summer temperatures we could enjoy it.

Quite the difference a year makes, eh? Last year the pools around here were like baths. Warmest July on record last year, and one of the coolest on record this year. That's why they call them averages.

-Kevin

cameraman
08-04-13, 02:35 PM
And local too as Salt Lake just had its hottest July since they started keeping records.

WickerBill
08-04-13, 02:58 PM
Wait, dando, I thought it was global warming last year when it was really hot, and "climate change" this year when it's been cooler. You mean to tell me this is just averaging out to normal? ARE AL GORE AND PRINCE CHARLES LYING TO ME??

cameraman
08-04-13, 05:50 PM
just consider your lucky this year...

http://s.imwx.com/common/articles/images/forecast-summer_320x180.jpg

dando
08-04-13, 06:01 PM
Wait, dando, I thought it was global warming last year when it was really hot, and "climate change" this year when it's been cooler. You mean to tell me this is just averaging out to normal? ARE AL GORE AND PRINCE CHARLES LYING TO ME??

No idea what I did to get on your backside, WB. It is what it is, I guess. Compulsively posting on every thread, perhaps. :saywhat:

All I know is this...we had the wettest July on record here in July '92 (I know because my car was flooded...'88 Crown Vic). Last year we had the hottest July on record and came close to the hottest summer ever (# of days > 90 degrees). I have the electric and water bills to prove that. This year I haven't had that irrigation system on once, and the grass grows like hay. I have NEVER subscribed to the global warming claims...I have wx geek friends that can attest to that fact.

So on that note, I will take my leave from here. L8r.

-Kevin

WickerBill
08-04-13, 07:21 PM
Uhhh, I was making fun of climate change extremists, not you, man.

Andrew Longman
08-04-13, 08:47 PM
Pish, you have no idea. Some guy with more money than sense...how about the guy who accepted his money to build it? That can't be too bright either.

Reminds me of my grandfathers house in Pacific Palisades, CA. Every time I visited another neighbors house had fallen off the "palisades". For a time Cycile Tyson lived across the street... Until her house moved

cameraman
08-04-13, 11:32 PM
how about the guy who accepted his money to build it? That can't be too bright either.

Actually he got paid and is long gone. The pool was ≥15 years old when it went on a walkabout.

Andrew Longman
08-05-13, 12:19 AM
Actually he got paid and is long gone. The pool was ≥15 years old when it went on a walkabout.15 years? Actually surprisingly good. Out in the overly regulated left leaning socialist blue state east you would be unlikely to get a permit to build anything on a 15% slope for erosion and the obvious issues of gravity. ;)

Gnam
08-05-13, 12:49 AM
Reminds me of my grandfathers house in Pacific Palisades, CA. Every time I visited another neighbors house had fallen off the "palisades". For a time Cycile Tyson lived across the street... Until her house moved
:D

Gnam
03-30-14, 12:39 PM
In pool news...

Beware the Pool of Death

Peeing in swimming pools may be hazardous to your health. That’s the message from scientists who have found that compounds in urine mix with chlorine to form chemicals that have been linked to respiratory effects in swimmers.

http://www.environmentalhealthnews.org/ehs/newscience/2014/mar/pool-pee/
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/es405402r?journalCode=esthag

I am glad China Agricultural University has time to study this critical health issue. ;)

nrc
03-30-14, 03:48 PM
Fortunately this appears focused on indoor pools. Most of the pee leaked out of ours over the winter. We've been putting off replacing the liner but now it looks like it's time.

WickerBill
06-25-14, 12:58 PM
My pool is the biggest money pit. I'm somewhat close now, after only five years in this house, to having completely replaced every functional part.

My cartridge filter has always been a pain. I have three jerk birch trees in my back yard (thank you, previous owners) that shed nits (seeds):

a) in the spring, when it starts to green up
b) in the late spring, when it gets above 80 for a few days
c) when it storms
d) when the wind blows hard
e) when it gets over 95ish degrees (stress)
f) in the fall, to say goodbye

My pump station does okay with them, although the real problem is that you can't backwash a cartridge filter... so a good 15 times a swim season, I had to tear down the filter, get the cartridge out, power wash all of the really tiny nits that made it through the skimmer and strainer, put it back together, etc.

Well, that wear and tear broke it. The top half of the filter enclosure dislodged under pressure and dumped a good five inches of the pool into my yard and crawlspace, and the locking ring that holds the two halves together jumped its threads. It is just about two feet in diameter, and it is completely wedged. The top half now cannot move either into the bottom half or up and off; the whole thing is locked into a non-functional place.

Obviously, I did what any normal person would do; I kicked it, swore at it, and ripped it out and replaced it. I'm not going to pay someone to come out with two brutes and the world's biggest wrench to loosen that ring, and I hate the filter, so....

I put in a sand filter. It works. It backwashes, so fixing the seeds when it gets hot won't be so hard.

In five years, I've now replaced:

- automatic cover
- pump
- cartridge filter media
- filter
- in-floor distributor
- skimmer basket (x5, thanks birch trees)
- strainer basket (x3)
- pool light and housing

This doesn't include the battles with the devil of pool chemistry, which I thankfully appear to have won.

What do I have left to break?

- automatic cover motor
- liner
- underground PVC
- heater

Anything else?

Sorry, just venting. My pool looks amazing right now.

Dvdb
06-25-14, 03:04 PM
But does it get any use?

nrc
06-25-14, 07:41 PM
In five years, I've now replaced:

- automatic cover
- pump
- cartridge filter media
- filter
- in-floor distributor
- skimmer basket (x5, thanks birch trees)
- strainer basket (x3)
- pool light and housing

This doesn't include the battles with the devil of pool chemistry, which I thankfully appear to have won.

What do I have left to break?

- automatic cover motor
- liner
- underground PVC
- heater

Anything else?

Sorry, just venting. My pool looks amazing right now.

If you don't have a heater then you need to add one so that you can replace it. After most of the water leaked out over the winter we replaced our liner this spring. It was past due and the replacement looks great. Then the pump ate its impeller and self-immolated. And oh-by-the-way there's a constant damp spot in yard over the plumbing that promises to require attention soon.

I'd really like to replace our winter cover with a safety cover but I don't know if we'll have any money left by then.

But all will be forgiven if we have any summer days this year.

RaceGrrl
06-26-14, 08:07 AM
We bought a power washer and I spent a weekend in early June cleaning the deck concrete surrounding the pool. At least the pool and deck LOOKS great so far this year.

KLang
06-26-14, 10:25 AM
Our pool is about eight years old. In the past year I have had to replace:

The guts of the DE filter
One of three pumps
Automatic cleaner (after three rebuilds)

I expect the main pump is next. We added a heater a few years back but never use it, I assume it still works.:\

Money Pit indeed. And it rarely is used. :irked:

RaceGrrl
06-26-14, 12:22 PM
This thread reminds me of the discussions Richard and I would hear from the pool owners at parties and gatherings when we lived in Florida. We were in our 20s then and the "old" guys in their 40s would talk about chemical balance and pool maintenance. We used to laugh.

nrc
07-07-14, 03:46 AM
And oh-by-the-way there's a constant damp spot in yard over the plumbing that promises to require attention soon.

Well there's your problem.

The return line and three vacuum lines (one is still buried in the picture) drape across a tree root at this point. The return line actually appears to be under the least pressure from the root so I'm not sure if this split is the result of pressure from the root or just some water left in the line this winter. Either way, the vacuum lines are under enough pressure that they're probably going to need repaired as well. You can't tell from the this picture but a couple of them are collapsed to about half their normal diameter.

RaceGrrl
07-07-14, 01:21 PM
"Just a minute! Have you got a 27B/6?"

nrc
07-07-14, 11:08 PM
"Just a minute! Have you got a 27B/6?"

If I wait long enough maybe Harry Tuttle will zip line in and fix it for me. :)