PDA

View Full Version : Preserving The Legend

NismoZ
06-07-12, 09:17 AM
www.unlimitedracingchampionship.com Check it out if you haven't visited this site yet. Hadn't paid much attention lately but noticed the ALMS event at RA this Aug. will include a round of the URC "Heritage" (as opposed to vintage, I guess?) series. Don't know how it is progressing this year but the site sure brings back the old Can Am memories! .:) Any long-time RA fans will be familiar with the "Can Am Reunions" there over the years and these 700+ hp M8F look-alikes certainly have the look and SOUND we all loved! Good video with Max Papis (development driver) explaining the car. Hope the series is still running with a decent number of entries but it'll have to go a long way to compete with the Brian Redman vintage events and the original Can Am cars that run at RA every year. Looking forward to it!:thumbup:

opinionated ow
06-07-12, 09:21 AM
That website hasn't changed in ages. I'm starting to wonder if it's actually happening...

NismoZ
06-07-12, 09:30 AM
I know...kinda what I was worried about. Anyone out there been to earlier ALMS events where URC was SUPPOSED to run? USF-2000, SCCA Trans Am, GT-3 Cup there too, so I'll still go:). To Redman's thing in July, too! REAL Can Ams!:D

Rus'L
06-07-12, 03:33 PM
That website hasn't changed in ages. I'm starting to wonder if it's actually happening...

Exactly. They were supposed to race at Lime Rock during the ALMS weekend, but now all you see on Lime Rock's schedule are "exhibition runs."

Oooh, that sounds so exciting...

Another expensive racing venture which apparently rich, dumb people are not buying into for once.

NismoZ
06-07-12, 04:23 PM
OK. Pretty much confirms what I THOUGHT might be happening. Too bad, because a bunch of dumb, untalented rich guys might just be able to put on an exciting show! :D Maybe a few demo (is that for "demolition"?) runs will be made at RA as an advertisement for the new and improved, breakout season in '013! ;)

Rus'L
06-07-12, 04:58 PM
OK. Pretty much confirms what I THOUGHT might be happening. Too bad, because a bunch of dumb, untalented rich guys might just be able to put on an exciting show! :D Maybe a few demo (is that for "demolition"?) runs will be made at RA as an advertisement for the new and improved, breakout season in '013! ;)

Thanks for a great laugh heading into the weekend!

NismoZ
06-07-12, 08:29 PM
Glad you picked up on that (;))... still a disappointment.

Methanolandbrats
06-07-12, 08:58 PM
Glad you picked up on that (;))... still a disappointment.

I am heavily bummed too. A horde of those fat rich guys with their right foot down heading into Canada Corner would be awesomeness :D

NismoZ
06-07-12, 09:21 PM
That was just the picture I was trying to create.:D I have seen MANY examples of "racers" with more money than brains showing off there.

Rus'L
07-05-12, 10:14 AM
Exactly. They were supposed to race at Lime Rock during the ALMS weekend, but now all you see on Lime Rock's schedule are "exhibition runs."

Oooh, that sounds so exciting...

Another expensive racing venture which apparently rich, dumb people are not buying into for once.

They are not even going to do exhibition runs. They are now completely off the Lime Rock schedule.

Thus, Lime Rock has absolutely no support races. None. Nada. Zippo. The fans can entertain themselves before ALMS by watching Porsches and Corvettes go around the track in slow parade laps. The anticipation is killing me...

NismoZ
07-05-12, 01:22 PM
Hardly "The Golden Age Of...", is it?:( Check out all that interest in the Sportscar Forum.

Trevor Longman
07-05-12, 06:22 PM
They are not even going to do exhibition runs. They are now completely off the Lime Rock schedule.

Thus, Lime Rock has absolutely no support races. None. Nada. Zippo. The fans can entertain themselves before ALMS by watching Porsches and Corvettes go around the track in slow parade laps. The anticipation is killing me...

Enjoy your $115 tickets. I've gone every year since 2008 but not this one. I went to the 6 hrs of the Glen last weekend and had a blast. The whole weekend was just $35 for a 6 hr race and the always entertaining continental tire series. Sure the grand am cars aren't as sexy but it's 1/3 of the price. Whatever, I'll see them at Mid-Ohio instead.

Rogue Leader
07-06-12, 04:47 PM
Enjoy your $115 tickets. I've gone every year since 2008 but not this one. I went to the 6 hrs of the Glen last weekend and had a blast. The whole weekend was just $35 for a 6 hr race and the always entertaining continental tire series. Sure the grand am cars aren't as sexy but it's 1/3 of the price. Whatever, I'll see them at Mid-Ohio instead.

I went to Lime Rock last year and it was great, but this year it just sounds kinda lame. Theres even fewer cars than last year, no support races. I mean the ALMS is still cool but how long can it last like this?