PDA

View Full Version : Damned car...

cameraman
06-06-12, 01:40 PM
I hate it when annoying minor things get expensive. The passenger side brake light isn't working. The bulb & socket are fine, the switch is fine. Somewhere in between a wire has failed. Replacing that wire is a royal pita. And the pump on the windshield washer also just crapped out. It is the oddball things that die that just eat into the checking account. It doesn't total even one month of a new car's cost but still... :irked:

chop456
06-06-12, 01:50 PM
Get the pump from a junkyard. :thumbup:

cameraman
06-06-12, 02:02 PM
Already looked at several. They all have had the same corrosion in the same place. We'll see.

Methanolandbrats
06-06-12, 02:54 PM
Take emery paper and clean the inside of the bulb socket. I had the exact same thing happen. Doubtful a wire broke, they are not stressed that much. Check for 12v at the pump harness. If there is voltage the pump motor froze. No big deal, find one online.

dando
06-06-12, 03:45 PM
I feel your pain. I have the same issue on the Bimmer with the third brake light. Had the brake light switch replaced, which fixed the lack of brake rear lights, but the third light is likely what M&B stated. Assorted other maladies (suspension issues and other bits coming undone) with the Bimmer have led me to start looking for its replacement with the choices in my range (<$20K) being underwhelming so far. Looking for used mid-size 4D sedan, <50K miles, <$20K with minimal 'luxuries' such as heated seats (back warmer for my lower back in colder weather or post-yardening days), V6 desired but being phased out by many mfgs. Focus, Taurus, MKZ, Accord/Camry, Sonata, Mazda 6 have been checked so far. Bimmer/Audi would require a move up to a 5 or 6, so age/mileage/cost becomes and issue, plus I'm less than thrilled by the repair costs both would involve. VW and Subie have limited selection and features. So far the Fusion has tested out best :saywhat:, but it's meh. :irked: The '13 redo looks better, but gotta wait for the price to drop for used models. Altho the girls like the ambient lighting that can be configured for various colors. :gomer: After dropping ~$5K into her the past ~5 years, I'm reluctant to give up, but @ >110K, I'm fearful what is yet to come, and she doesn't look as nice after the wife side swiped her ~6 weeks ago. :mad: :flame: :saywhat:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
06-06-12, 04:47 PM
After dropping ~$5K into her the past ~5 years, I'm reluctant to give up, but @ >110K, I'm fearful what is yet to come, and she doesn't look as nice after the wife side swiped her ~6 weeks ago. :mad: :flame: :saywhat:

-KevinPoint of clarification, wife was driving it and sideswiped some other car or wife sideswiped the car while driving a different car?

Gnam
06-06-12, 05:02 PM
It is the oddball things that die that just eat into the checking account. It doesn't total even one month of a new car's cost but still... :irked:

Sell it to WB. :p

dando
06-06-12, 05:26 PM
Point of clarification, wife was driving it and sideswiped some other car or wife sideswiped the car while driving a different car?

Bimmer parked halfway into the garage so that I could unload some yardening supplies. Wife is late (redundant) for some kids thing, backs ups to exit said garage, turns to get into position to exit driveway w/o paying attention to BIG WHITE VEHICLE next to her and bam! I'm over near the third garage door putting together a wheelbarrow (for the MIL for Easter, BTW), hear bam! and investigate. I get a 'What?!?' from her before she drives off. :saywhat: :flame: :mad: :flame: Later it comes out that she told the girls that she was trying to avoid me and the flowers. Yeah, right. Bite me. :irked: And as Elmo can attest, the first thing I did afterwards is snap a pic and post it on FB. :gomer:

-Kevin

Indy
06-06-12, 07:59 PM
My wife wrecked my car once trying to back out of the garage. I feel your pain, man. :D

Andrew Longman
06-06-12, 09:06 PM
Bimmer parked halfway into the garage so that I could unload some yardening supplies. Wife is late (redundant) for some kids thing, backs ups to exit said garage, turns to get into position to exit driveway w/o paying attention to BIG WHITE VEHICLE next to her and bam! Serenity dude. Serenity. ;)

On a related note, tonight I am driving the TL to Melissa's sports banquet. Suddenly, when I am making right turns the doors unlock, the door ajar idiot light and chime come on and the interior lights blink on... then off, then on, then off, then... until I come out of the turn.

I don't even want to think about what it will take to fix this.

dando
06-06-12, 10:11 PM
On a related note, tonight I am driving the TL to Melissa's sports banquet. Suddenly, when I am making right turns the doors unlock, the door ajar idiot light and chime come on and the interior lights blink on... then off, then on, then off, then... until I come out of the turn.

I don't even want to think about what it will take to fix this.

Fix? Sounds like an undocumented feature in my Web development world. :gomer: :saywhat:

OK, so test driving the MKZ yesterday...decent ride based on the Fusion chassis, but the ride has been detuned like a Buick. :thumdown: Plus they old folksed some of the console, including an analog clock on a model with a nav display. :saywhat: So the sales dude is backing it up in the parking space on the lot (insurance regs, so no customer driving on the lot) and the rear backup warning alert begins sounding beep, beep, beep (altho we're nowhere near the end of the space, and only shrubs behind that). Anywho, when the alert beeps go off, the radio blares. :eek: Apparently this is to compensate for the noise level generated by the beeps. So they designed this car with a target audience of say Baby Boomers in mind, and you add that feature to it? :shakehead Is it any wonder so many older folks end up hitting the wrong pedal and driving cars into buildings? :saywhat: :irked:

-Kevin

WickerBill
06-06-12, 10:12 PM
Sell it to WB. :p

HEY!

And dando, for reference, my wife backed *my* car into the closed garage door last year.

1. Walk out into garage from house
3. Get in car
4. Start car
5. Reverse

Step 2 is a biggie in this process....

Andrew Longman
06-07-12, 12:15 AM
Fix? Sounds like an undocumented in my Web development world. :gomer: :saywhat:Well, I've managed to turn the problem on and off. If I lean on the door the ajar alarm goes off. Right hand turns tends to pin the weight of my leg against the door

The little rubber pad that depresses the switch seems to be out of adjustment. Why, is still a mystery. Door looks like it is hanging right. switch looks to be in good order. I'll sort it out tomorrow.

And WB the guy who installed my doors gave a lecture to my wife about ALWAYS opening the door before getting in the car. Don't you know one day I did exactly that, but then for some crazy reason I hit the door button again using the button in the car. Backed out through the closing door and ripped off the spoiler in the TL. :irked:

Idiot.

sadams
06-07-12, 08:42 AM
Always back into garage, then you never hit the closed door unless you are totally asleep driving out.

dando
06-07-12, 08:48 AM
Always back into garage, then you never hit the closed door unless you are totally asleep driving out.

But then there's that backing up and car next to you issue... ;) :saywhat:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
06-07-12, 09:21 AM
And I thought I had it bad when my wife drove into the garage with three bikes on top of the car.

Elmo T
06-07-12, 09:24 AM
Is it any wonder so many older folks end up hitting the wrong pedal and driving cars into buildings? :saywhat: :irked:

-Kevin

Why just yesterday, I responded to a call for someone's Grandpop who plowed through a light pole and into the back of a store. Luckily the giant Belgium block curb made this a "drive into" and not a "drive through" call.

There are so many of these anymore, my kids call it the Granny Driving Apocalypse.

dando
06-07-12, 11:42 AM
And I thought I had it bad when my wife drove into the garage with three bikes on top of the car.

Doh! :saywhat: Reminds me of when the FIL almost drove their Explorer w/car carrier into the parking garage @ the Super Fresh in OCNJ one year. :D

Can we rename this thread the Damned wife... thread? (no offense, ladies) :D

-Kevin

chop456
06-07-12, 01:04 PM

Friend's wife backed their trailered (duh), wakeboarding boat into the garage with the tower up. :laugh:

Don Quixote
06-07-12, 01:09 PM
Friend's wife backed their trailered (duh), wakeboarding boat into the garage with the tower up. :laugh: This one I don't get. If you are backing a trailered boat into a garage aren't you looking back when you are doing it? :laugh:

Andrew Longman
06-07-12, 08:47 PM
OK I sorted out the "undocumented" door ajar feature.

There is a sensor that is depressed by the door panel. Looks like the seat belt buckle got caught one too many times in the closing door and put a small crack in the panel which then couldn't reliably depress the button.

Temporary fix covered that part of the panel with posterboard and duct tape. Works like a charm and I'll keep in in place for a few days until I am convinced it is really fixed and I figure out the best way to mend the crack.

Funny thing is the TL owners forums are full of people asking about the exact same problem, including it only happening in right turns.

Methanolandbrats
06-07-12, 09:07 PM
OK I sorted out the "undocumented" door ajar feature.

There is a sensor that is depressed by the door panel. Looks like the seat belt buckle got caught one too many times in the closing door and put a small crack in the panel which then couldn't reliably depress the button.

Temporary fix covered that part of the panel with posterboard and duct tape. Works like a charm and I'll keep in in place for a few days until I am convinced it is really fixed and I figure out the best way to mend the crack.

Funny thing is the TL owners forums are full of people asking about the exact same problem, including it only happening in right turns.

If you are talking about the door panel, buy some thin aluminum sheet and epoxy a bit to the back of the panel to reinforce it. Might have to buy some trim removal tools from Harbor Freight so you don't **** things up, but I don't know, I have five VWs, so I am not well versed in Acura door stuff.

datachicane
06-07-12, 09:07 PM
My wife was ambushed by a parked school bus coming out of a school parking lot.

Sure, it was bright yellow, ten feet tall, the size of a nice starter home, and perfectly stationary. Anyone could miss something like that in broad daylight. :saywhat:

I came home for lunch and found a cop waiting for me in the driveway, asked if I owned a silver Mazda. Turns out my wife, after determining that the bumper of the bus had sustained no damage, split.

Better a parked school bus than an entire kindergarten class or a couple of bicycle cops, I guess.

Methanolandbrats
06-07-12, 09:09 PM

Sure, it was bright yellow, ten feet tall, the size of a nice starter home, and perfectly stationary. Anyone could miss something like that in broad daylight. :saywhat:

I came home for lunch and found a cop waiting for me in the driveway, asked if I owned a silver Mazda. Turns out my wife, after determining that the bumper of the bus had sustained no damage, split.

Better a parked school bus than an entire kindergarten class or a couple of bicycle cops, I guess.

:rofl::rofl: I almost pissed myself. My wife has never had anything but a door ding except for one time. In the winter she had my new 1988 GTI. I was asleep (passed out). She came home and said, I had an accident. Turns out she spun it in a tight ramp and went over a curb backwards, dipped the clutch, drove it out of the ditch and got home before the tires went flat. I had to give her a big thumbs up.

Indy
06-08-12, 01:15 AM
It could be worse. I know a guy who thought he was in reverse but was actually in drive, and drove his car through the back wall of his garage into his house.

Can't blame the wimmens for that one, but I suspect he may be able to blame Jack Daniels.

Andrew Longman
06-08-12, 01:24 AM
It could be worse... Yep. My kids know a girl who wanted to prove she could back the family SUV into the garage. Wound up in the middle of the kitchen. $60K in damage to the house plus she totaled the Suburban.

Methanolandbrats
06-08-12, 08:17 AM
Yep. My kids know a girl who wanted to prove she could back the family SUV into the garage. Wound up in the middle of the kitchen. $60K in damage to the house plus she totaled the Suburban.

Technically speaking, she did back into the garage.

chop456
06-08-12, 08:38 AM
Technically speaking, she did back into the garage.

And then some. Actually, she went over and above what was asked of her. They should be thankful. :D

Elmo T
06-08-12, 08:38 AM
A 5ft tall wife in a Subaru Tribeca with a mile-wide A post who likes to make the apex as tight as possible when making left turns in? She insists that the SUV she clipped WAS NOT THERE WHEN SHE TURNED IN. I have no doubt that she never saw it - even after the "bang".

Putting aside the usual gremlins, I hate that I can't replace a headlight bulb without removing the battery or air cleaner, using a flashlight and a mirror, and still needing the flexibility of a circus freak.

chop456
06-08-12, 08:54 AM
I hate that I can't replace a headlight bulb without removing the battery or air cleaner, using a flashlight and a mirror, and still needing the flexibility of a circus freak.

THESE (http://www.service.kleintools.com/Tools/PRD/Category/Long-Reach%20Long-Nose%20Pliers%20PLIERS-LONGNOSE-LONGREACH/Product/D364-11) are your friend. :thumbup:

Don Quixote
06-08-12, 09:25 AM

Better a parked school bus than an entire kindergarten class or a couple of bicycle cops, I guess.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I have a confession to make regarding my own stupid driving. I was working on the wife's car in the garage and had to back it out. Instead of closing the driver's side door all the way, I backed out with the door open a little. The window hit the gargae door track and exploded. There were little glass balls all over the place including in my hair, down my shirt, all over the interior of the car and throughout every inch of the garage. This little incident is the equivalent of a get out of jail free card for my wife, which she uses all the time.

What is this thread about?

Andrew Longman
06-08-12, 11:27 AM
And then some. Actually, she went over and above what was asked of her. They should be thankful. :DThey actually always thought of her as an over-acheiver. :D

BTW my Melissa gets her license this coming Tuesday. Eek :eek:

But I also taught her to use a stick in the TL last week... something Trevor still refuses to do unless it involves iRacing (on which he appears to be nearly worldclass). He didn't learn to ride a bike either until his little sister shamed him into it. ;)

Don Quixote
06-08-12, 11:41 AM
They actually always thought of her as an over-acheiver. :D

BTW my Melissa gets her license this coming Tuesday. Eek :eek:

But I also taught her to use a stick in the TL last week... something Trevor still refuses to do unless it involves iRacing (on which he appears to be nearly worldclass). He didn't learn to ride a bike either until his little sister shamed him into it. ;)All my kids learned on a stick because that is all we had. I think they are better drivers for it. I love the terror when they stall in heavy traffic and the car behind starts honking the horn.

datachicane
06-08-12, 05:44 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I have a confession to make regarding my own stupid driving. I was working on the wife's car in the garage and had to back it out. Instead of closing the driver's side door all the way, I backed out with the door open a little. The window hit the gargae door track and exploded. There were little glass balls all over the place including in my hair, down my shirt, all over the interior of the car and throughout every inch of the garage. This little incident is the equivalent of a get out of jail free card for my wife, which she uses all the time.

Years ago, one of my former employers had problems with the drivers' side windows of his delivery trucks getting shot out. Always the drivers' side, never any other window, always discovered in the locked, fenced parking lot first thing in the morning.

I had some things I needed to get done early one morning before the shop opened. I unlocked the fence, and as I approached the building I noticed the telltale glitter of broken glass next to one of the trucks, drivers' side. Sure enough, another drivers' window. Seemed like there was more glass outside than I'd expect, so I reached in and unlocked the door to investigate. There was no more than a handful of glass in the cab, which seemed pretty odd until I saw the anti-theft club clamped to the steering wheel. Nice. The drivers had been clamping on the club and slamming the door shut without paying attention to where the end of the club was pointing, which periodically ended up being right through the window.

Undoubtedly a bad attitude on my part, but since I'd been trying for six months to get the cheapskate owner to pay for the repairs to my car when one of his deferred-maintainance forklifts suffered a parking brake failure, rolled driverless down a hill and with extreme prejudice perforated my car, I never quite got around to mentioning it to him.

cameraman
06-08-12, 06:47 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I have a confession to make regarding my own stupid driving. I was working on the wife's car in the garage and had to back it out. Instead of closing the driver's side door all the way, I backed out with the door open a little. The window hit the gargae door track and exploded. There were little glass balls all over the place including in my hair, down my shirt, all over the interior of the car and throughout every inch of the garage.

Reminds me of when I took my car to one of the high end car washes here in town. You turn your car over to an army of teenagers who scrub & polish like mad. In my case it also included backing my car out of the garage with the rear drivers side door ajar which caught on the garage door and was folded back parallel to the front door.:flame:

Andrew Longman
06-08-12, 11:00 PM
All my kids learned on a stick because that is all we had. I think they are better drivers for it. I love the terror when they stall in heavy traffic and the car behind starts honking the horn.Or when they have to start on a hilly intersection with a car practically sitting on the back bumper. :D

I learned on a stick because my Dad and I thought it would make me a better driver. I still feel that way.

But now that I am having to deal with my own kid's anxiety about just passing the driving test (and in NJ that seems to be a random event depending on who is giving the exam), I am not looking to add any more tension.

gjc2
06-09-12, 08:54 AM
All my kids learned on a stick because that is all we had. I think they are better drivers for it. I love the terror when they stall in heavy traffic and the car behind starts honking the horn.

I agree, driving a manual transmission car makes you pay more attention to what you’re doing. Modern cars are too easy to drive plus have to many dashboard gadgets to take you attention away from driving.

nrc
06-09-12, 03:34 PM
Or when they have to start on a hilly intersection with a car practically sitting on the back bumper. :D

Grrl's Clubman takes all the challenge out of that. Newer MINIs have a hill holding feature that keeps the brakes on on a hill until you start to release the clutch. Nice feature. I don't mind a little challenge but there are some parking garages with pay booths at the top of very steep ramps that are no fun.

RaceGrrl
06-10-12, 01:35 AM
It does? :laugh::laugh: Never knew that... probably a good thing so I don't get used to it.

Methanolandbrats
06-10-12, 08:17 AM
all manual trans cars have a hill holder. Clutch in, right foot on brake, first gear, set the handbrake. Let out clutch a little, add a little gas and load the motor. Release brake and off you go.

cameraman
06-10-12, 01:15 PM
Subaru has the trademark on the term hill-holder clutch. It is a wonderful thing in a town where you have traffic lights on 12% grades.:D

datachicane
06-10-12, 04:56 PM
Subaru has the trademark on the term hill-holder clutch. It is a wonderful thing in a town where you have traffic lights on 12% grades.:D

Really? Heck, Studebaker had them as far back as the '30s, and there were a bunch of Hudsons and other cars built with them decades before Malcolm Bricklin starting selling Subie 360s from railroad sidings.

cameraman
06-10-12, 05:13 PM
True but they trademarked NoRol and Noback and used the un-trademarked term hill hold control. Subaru got a trademark on Hill-Holder.

Methanolandbrats
06-10-12, 05:53 PM
True but they trademarked NoRol and Noback and used the un-trademarked term hill hold control. Subaru got a trademark on Hill-Holder.

Must be that lesbians have trouble launching a car on a hill, so Subaru added that handy feature.

datachicane
06-11-12, 01:12 AM
Speaking of damn cars, I'm two days into the brake job from hell. This is the same car I modified that OEM AM radio for a few months back.

Because of a hairy work schedule at the time (2002), I'd farmed out the last brake job on this car to a large national chain whose name rhymes with "Midas®". New wheel cylinders, shoes, and bearing seals. Eighteen months later I nuked the camshaft, and while I had the engine out I decided it was time to bite the bullet and take care of the body.

It's been nearly ten years since the car has moved under its own power. First start on the new engine was Memorial Day weekend, and I'd planned to replace the wheel cylinders, hoses, master cylinder, etc., etc., before taking it on the road for the first time. Needless to say, I'm anxious to get it back on the road after so many years. I got a nasty surprise, and I've only tackled the front so far.

Both bearing seals were toast, one in backwards and sitting loose on the spindle, the other without a trace of rubber. I seriously doubt that they ever replaced that one. Needless to say, the entire assembly was completely saturated with grease. One adjuster guide was missing, the cable on the other side was missing, one retractor spring was broken, another had been jury-rigged to recreate a broken hook. None of this was the case when I'd done the previous job two or three years prior to the last job. I'd purchased new drums then, too, but the broken hardware rattling around killed them both. It's a miracle the thing didn't kill me. I can't believe I didn't feel anything amiss in the braking- I even did a few autoX.

I don't think I'll ever, ever farm out another brake job.

This is the after. This should be a four-hour job for all four wheels. It took me all day just to do the fronts, most of that time degreasing and refinishing the backing plates...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-BGRv9mI8pfA/T9Lty5CV4ZI/AAAAAAAAEQM/jopSP7eVS2I/s640/P4120242.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-vtJYZlEpm8E/T7BoSjhKmrI/AAAAAAAAEO8/FZxY_zoFLfM/s800/P3160236.JPG

Andrew Longman
06-11-12, 01:33 AM
Data: nice car and I agree brake jobs are among the most easy to do yourself and most easy for a shop to give to the least qualified punk.

I give mine to I friend I trust because I don't have time and I want to throw work to a friend.

When I have the time my friend understands I might only need a little tech support.

What maddens me are the jobs like the leaking valve covers on my 626 that requires more than a days tear down which is more time than I have and more money than I have. Seems just stupid.

dando
06-11-12, 01:41 AM
^^^^ Yeah, but do the mirrors work? :gomer: Nice ride. :thumbup:

Nice ride. Sucks about the brakes. I had a similar issue with a Honda Accord I had in college that I had a local guy repair. Mistake. He managed to hork the brakes so that they cut through the drums. Srsly. :mad: :flame:

Fast forward to the E36 Bimmer. Had the brakes replaced back in Feb by a local shop with strong word of mouth and online reviews. They did a decent job, but the low brakes warning light is still on, and none of the tools they have would rest the warning light. Fine, the car is driving fine, so I'll deal with that later. Finally got around to digging into the procedure to reset the light, but no dice getting it to turn off (position 2 on the ignition, wait 30 seconds, start car...still on after several tries). So back in it goes to have them check on whether the sensor was replaced or not (I bought the kit from ECS Tuning or Turner Motorsports, but never opened it to verify the contents). :( More of a nuisance than anything, but I'd rather not find out the hard way in 50K miles that brakes need replacing. And I suspect I'll be driving it a few more years, or until someone here once told me...until it doesn't cast a shadow anymore (or until the DW totals it with her Explorer, whichever comes first. :gomer: :saywhat:

-Kevin

indyfan31
06-11-12, 10:08 AM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-BGRv9mI8pfA/T9Lty5CV4ZI/AAAAAAAAEQM/jopSP7eVS2I/s640/P4120242.JPG

To this day nothing scares me more than having to put those stupid springs back in place after putting in new shoes. For years I used a screwdriver until I found out there was an actual tool for that.

Methanolandbrats
06-11-12, 10:44 AM
^^^ you've never been under an Excursion on a 9000 lb capacity lift welded together in China have you. :D

datachicane
06-11-12, 11:02 AM
^^^^ Yeah, but do the mirrors work? :gomer:

Heh, no mirrors of any kind yet. Too busy painting a zillion little satin black brackets and detailing the under dash wiring harness. :saywhat:
I wish I were joking.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-54TmNKVOrqg/T66YIdkQhFI/AAAAAAAAEN4/Yp-RACH1G2U/s640/P3140229.JPG

Methanolandbrats
06-11-12, 11:19 AM
Heh, no mirrors of any kind yet. Too busy painting a zillion little satin black brackets and detailing the under dash wiring harness. :saywhat:
I wish I were joking.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-54TmNKVOrqg/T66YIdkQhFI/AAAAAAAAEN4/Yp-RACH1G2U/s640/P3140229.JPG

Detailing the underdash wiring harness :saywhat: What is your annual Q-tip budget? :D

chop456
06-11-12, 12:06 PM
No lie. I wish I had that level of OCD. I'd get some stuff done! :D

datachicane
06-11-12, 12:35 PM
That level of OCD is why a bit of bodywork on a beater turned into a decade-long siege, or why I'm in year 15 of my basement remodel.

Trust me, you end up with the opposite of getting things done. :irked:

Methanolandbrats
06-11-12, 01:04 PM
That level of OCD is why a bit of bodywork on a beater turned into a decade-long siege, or why I'm in year 15 of my basement remodel.

Is your stove off? Are you sure? Did you lock the door? :D

WickerBill
06-11-12, 01:14 PM
That's gorgeous.

dando
06-11-12, 01:23 PM

Sounds like Rain Man II. :D ;)

-Kevin

nrc
06-11-12, 01:29 PM

But the car looks great.

I don't know think I'm at that level of OCD, but I do know my projects all take 50% longer from time spent standing around staring at stuff.

Methanolandbrats
06-11-12, 04:35 PM
But the car looks great.

I don't know think I'm at that level of OCD, but I do know my projects all take 50% longer from time spent standing around staring at stuff.

It pays to double check things a few dozen times :thumbup:

datachicane
06-11-12, 05:34 PM
It's less that than scope creep. Shiny new part next to slightly worn part == two new parts, even if it's somewhere no one will ever look. There's just no logical stopping point. Repeat until budget and time exhausted.

dando
06-11-12, 05:51 PM
\Repeat until budget and time exhausted.

Rinse and repeat as necessary...Beer! ;)

-Kevin

gjc2
06-11-12, 06:38 PM
Beautiful car, I especially like the hot rodded in-line six.

datachicane
06-11-12, 07:25 PM
Thanks, the six is a good motor. It had well north of 200k on it the first time I rebuilt it (it was running fine, just made me nervous), and both the mains and rod bearings were still within spec. :eek: Seven main bearings makes for a tough little engine. It's pushing 300k now. It's no trailer queen, it was my daily driver until I let the magic smoke out of the camshaft ten years ago, and if I finish it before I die it will be again.

If I wanted to go as quickly as possible, I sure wouldn't try to do it futzing with a 47-year old car. The hopped-up six looks good, makes decent power, and sounds cool as hell.

http://s1126.photobucket.com/albums/l619/wfteoslh/Mustang/?action=view&current=exhaust.mp4

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Xm55OkwYnuA/TgU0KJn1NwI/AAAAAAAADuc/817vc7HwJDs/s800/P6240154.JPG

Andrew Longman
06-11-12, 07:48 PM
To this day nothing scares me more than having to put those stupid springs back in place after putting in new shoes. For years I used a screwdriver until I found out there was an actual tool for that.Meh. In HS my auto mechanics instructor put on a class competition for who could replace shoes the fastest. Included removing the lug nuts, tire, bearing, drum, springs, shoes and then reversing it all.

The competition became like a NASCAR pit stop.

With a lot of practice (and an air wrench and that right tool) I won. IIRC I had it down to about 45 seconds.

Not saying I'd drive it though. :gomer:

Data: Again, beautiful work. :D:thumbup:

Gnam
06-11-12, 08:23 PM
...and if I finish it before I die...

saw a license plate the other day at a car show: DNB4IDI
I wanted to ask him, "Now what?"

WickerBill
06-11-12, 09:00 PM
The hopped-up six looks good, makes decent power, and sounds cool as hell.

Yeah, but do you get 25mpg? :)

Ford's third-gen straight six is legendary. Dad had one of the last ones in a 1983 LTD and everything on that car broke multiple times except the engine. Car was sold (the buyer only wanted the engine) with ~360,000 miles on it, no rebuilds.

datachicane
06-12-12, 01:26 AM
I got 20mpg when it was bone stock, and I got 20mpg after I modified the heck out of it. 20mpg on the freeway, 20mph in town, 20mpg driving my grandmother around, 20mpg at the autocross, it just doesn't seem to care.

cameraman
06-12-12, 11:10 PM
Taking things back to the original post, about 17 years ago a Uhaul hitch installer snagged the brake light wire and pulled it taught through the tube that runs from the car body to the tailgate. The wire ties kept the tension on the wire. After seventeen years of rubbing every time the tailgate was opened and closed the tailgate the wire finally broke.

And it turns out a shiny new washer pump motor costs $50.

G.
06-13-12, 02:44 AM
Data: nice car and I agree brake jobs are among the most easy to do yourself and most easy for a shop to give to the least qualified punk.

Disc brakes are even easier, right?

Stupid-ass frozen caliper guide pin. :mad::flame::mad:

Buy new rotors and pads, since the front end is bringin in da noise, but inspecting the pads, everything looks good. Head scratch, put the wheel back on.

Noise gets worse.

Try again, put new pads on, find stuck guide pin.

Spray, pound, twist, plead; that thing is STUCK.

I REALLY don't want to snap that off, since the mating end's technical term is "the front suspension".

The wheel gets very obviously HOT after driving.

Any ideas? Maybe heat, but all I have is a plumbers propane torch. I don't have any explosives, and don't feel like driving to Wisconsin.

:confused:

dando
06-13-12, 08:50 AM
Taking things back to the original post, about 17 years ago a Uhaul hitch installer snagged the brake light wire and pulled it taught through the tube that runs from the car body to the tailgate. The wire ties kept the tension on the wire. After seventeen years of rubbing every time the tailgate was opened and closed the tailgate the wire finally broke.

And it turns out a shiny new washer pump motor costs $50.

That's nice. Now let us get back off topic discussing lesbians driving on a 12% hill in a Mustang w/o mirrors with a bad brake job before they drive their car through a house and into a swimming pool with an algae problem and have a bacon sundae afterwards. :gomer: :D

In other news, new shoes on the Bimmer and a $74 oil change @ Carmax (vs. $100+ @ the dealer) and she's a keeper again. :thumbup: That is until I get the next repair bill that will undoubtedly run a couple of grand, or G works on my brakes, whichever comes first. :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
06-13-12, 08:52 AM
Any ideas?

Bargain just for you. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RARE-1987-YUGO-GV-SURVIVOR-/330746144319?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4d0201a63f#ht_5006wt_1182)

:D ;)

-Kevin

emjaya
06-13-12, 09:52 AM
Thanks, the six is a good motor. It had well north of 200k on it the first time I rebuilt it (it was running fine, just made me nervous), and both the mains and rod bearings were still within spec. :eek: Seven main bearings makes for a tough little engine. It's pushing 300k now. It's no trailer queen, it was my daily driver until I let the magic smoke out of the camshaft ten years ago, and if I finish it before I die it will be again.

If I wanted to go as quickly as possible, I sure wouldn't try to do it futzing with a 47-year old car. The hopped-up six looks good, makes decent power, and sounds cool as hell.

http://s1126.photobucket.com/albums/l619/wfteoslh/Mustang/?action=view&current=exhaust.mp4

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Xm55OkwYnuA/TgU0KJn1NwI/AAAAAAAADuc/817vc7HwJDs/s800/P6240154.JPG

What is that, a 200ci? What did you do about the stock log intake? Is there a lot of performance parts for sixes in the US?

There was a huge industry over here making parts for the Holden straight six, but it has died off in the last decade or so.

Methanolandbrats
06-13-12, 10:04 AM
Disc brakes are even easier, right?

Stupid-ass frozen caliper guide pin. :mad::flame::mad:

Buy new rotors and pads, since the front end is bringin in da noise, but inspecting the pads, everything looks good. Head scratch, put the wheel back on.

Noise gets worse.

Try again, put new pads on, find stuck guide pin.

Spray, pound, twist, plead; that thing is STUCK.

I REALLY don't want to snap that off, since the mating end's technical term is "the front suspension".

The wheel gets very obviously HOT after driving.

Any ideas? Maybe heat, but all I have is a plumbers propane torch. I don't have any explosives, and don't feel like driving to Wisconsin.

:confused:

Time is your friend on this one. Buy a small butane torch ($30 and a great tool to have). Warm around the pin, spray PB Blaster on it. Tap it lengthwise and side to side. Repeat a few times. Go do something else and let the mojo work. Go back and repeat the steps. It will come out. Since you have to replace the slider, can you get a bolt remover on the end of it and very GENTLY torque it back and forth a little? Irwin makes great bolt remover sets for about $25.

Methanolandbrats
06-13-12, 10:22 AM
That's nice. Now let us get back off topic discussing lesbians driving on a 12% hill in a Mustang w/o mirrors with a bad brake job before they drive their car through a house and into a swimming pool with an algae problem and have a bacon sundae afterwards. :gomer: :D

In other news, new shoes on the Bimmer and a $74 oil change @ Carmax (vs. $100+ @ the dealer) and she's a keeper again. :thumbup: That is until I get the next repair bill that will undoubtedly run a couple of grand, or G works on my brakes, whichever comes first. :gomer:

-Kevin

$74 is a lot to pay for a stripped drain plug and an overfill of oil that will destroy your catalytic converter.

datachicane
06-13-12, 11:01 AM
What is that, a 200ci? What did you do about the stock log intake? Is there a lot of performence parts for sixes in the US?

There was a huge industry over here making parts for the Holden straight six, but it has died off in the last decade or so.

Yep, it's a 200. For folks who don't know these engines, the intake is cast integrally with the cylinder head- non-removable, and very restrictive. For a few years the Aussies got a nice version with a removable intake. The US got none of the cool stuff that the Aussies did. Prior to the innerwebs no one here ever even heard of the Oz 250 2v head- strictly log intakes.

Any performance parts for these are pure exotica here, and priced accordingly. I could have built a spectacular V8 with money left over for what I've sunk in this thing.

That's an Offenhauser 3x1 intake, which is basically a chunk of aluminum that bolts (and clamps, on the early round log) to the stock intake log. For the secondary carbs you need to open up the top of the log with a hole saw :eek:, and the intake seals to the log with O-rings. Pretty crude, but works nicely, and basically bypasses the restrictive log altogether- each carb dumps into the log right over a pair of intake ports. It's a progressive linkage, so while tooling around town only the center carb is used- thus the 20mpg. It does make an ungodly sound when the secondary carbs open up :thumbup:.

The video I posted earlier was just after the initial start/cam break-in, so the secondary carbs are blocked off (too many variables for a safe initial start). Still doesn't sound too bad, although it's bloody loud. My wife refused to ride in it, since every time I'd drive through a parking garage I'd set off all of the car alarms :gomer:.

cameraman
06-13-12, 11:59 AM
When I took my car into my mechanic he had a really nice cherry red 1963 Porsche 356 1600 super coupe on the lift. Subi's pay the bills, the rest of the day is spent working on pre-1970 Porsches.

datachicane
07-09-12, 06:01 PM
Finally back on the road this weekend. It will be ten years this November since it last moved under its own power. Now I just gotta finish the interior and the top...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-BleW5Dp8ZBo/T_s0OY68iqI/AAAAAAAAESU/1ItqE6Gq3ug/s800/P5120250.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-p1yCSKYTSd4/T_s0OKMva0I/AAAAAAAAESY/u8smlCraAZE/s800/P5120251.JPG

Indy
07-09-12, 06:08 PM
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

WickerBill
07-09-12, 06:39 PM
I will have some insurance money soon. Will you take $4k? :)

dando
07-09-12, 06:56 PM
One. Sweet. Ride. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
07-09-12, 07:13 PM
Wow! Beautiful. One question, are those wheels/covers OEM? Don't know I remember those.

datachicane
07-09-12, 07:55 PM
Yeah, they are. They're '64 Ford corporate wheelcovers, correct for '64.5 and early '65 Mustangs, but technically incorrect for my late '65 car. Late '65s got the same cover with a much smaller spinner, but I sorta like the giant Ben Hur/Goldfinger jobs.

chop456
07-09-12, 11:19 PM
Nice!

SteveH
07-09-12, 11:39 PM
That is sweet :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

TravelGal
07-10-12, 12:35 AM
Gorgeous.

I had a '67. Burgundy body with black top. v8. Tan leather seats. Fog lights. Special steering wheel. You can tell I don't miss it a bit. :cry:

Napoleon
07-11-12, 09:34 AM
So can your girl not wait for a ride in that thing?

That is one nice looking car.

Methanolandbrats
07-11-12, 10:26 AM
Reminds me of the fact that one of my best friends in high school bought a similar car a few years after he graduated. Took it down the interstate drunk and hit a bridge abutment. Big time victory for the bridge and he was dead, so don't crash that thing.

WickerBill
06-28-15, 10:46 PM

I just searched this post out to find that video. What a great exhaust note.

datachicane
06-29-15, 05:23 PM
Thanks! I finished it later that Summer, and it's been my daily driver ever since. I drive it everywhere, every day.

Here's a much better quality video, just my morning commute:
http://vid1126.photobucket.com/albums/l619/wfteoslh/Mustang/Commute_zpsf60aa3ce.mp4

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-OGUtmz6c3uU/U5VGIht6SvI/AAAAAAAAFb4/DlQ9P6Kid4Y/s800/10344385_10152134374841479_8930473148730600556_o.j pg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-gEU-0vQx61k/U_TXKjNOT4I/AAAAAAAAFvE/2IktA9PR2wc/s800/614895_10154491538490057_3135746570757573411_o.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-E8-02he-xcI/U_TXKMUB-GI/AAAAAAAAFuw/4dO5-vk4gZU/s800/10560342_10154491539350057_2971363257503109581_o.j pg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0s-aE3qbvIQ/U_TXJp-_9KI/AAAAAAAAFvA/JixX3P2A4aA/s800/10504891_10154491539760057_1684343957837307528_o.j pg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-OKFXmuAMEVI/U5VGJYNpLhI/AAAAAAAAFb8/3Psp8FpJW1k/s800/10464060_10152134958941479_5952157182687422467_n.j pg

(http://vid1126.photobucket.com/albums/l619/wfteoslh/Mustang/Commute_zpsf60aa3ce.mp4)

Kiwifan
06-29-15, 09:15 PM
Wow! Just wow. It looks awesome, it sounds awesome. :)

We took a new one for a spin around Oahu, nice but not quite like that beast. :D

SteveH
06-29-15, 11:37 PM
Very nice, and it sounds great!