PDA

View Full Version : Spare a kind thought for Pele, forever our "puppy girl"

nrc
06-04-12, 04:00 AM
Today we had to say a loving farewell to Pele, our second Manchester Terrier. We called her "puppy girl" because for most of her life with us she looked and behaved much like she did when we first adopted her. Her spirit never changed.

We used to tease that Pele was a "bear of very little brain," but the truth is that she was simply selective about when to use wile and when to use charm. She was never top dog, but she was the queen of the couch and bed - always managing to secure the best spot and defending it with sometimes a bit too much vigor.

Unlike our dear, departed Champ, Pele was far from breed standard. She was built more like a Whippet than a Manchester. But she could hit 100 miles per hour in the back yard and her wonderful bat-ears were irresistible. Plus, she knew that deep down all the Manchester bitches only wished that they could be as slender and leggy has her. She was a Princess.

At 15, Pele had enjoyed a good life weathering her fair share of health issues, bouncing back each time. But lately things had been catching up with her. A bad reaction to some medication left her stumbling around and at heart murmur progressed into full blown congestive failure.

Pele had her first serious bout with her heart issue a few weeks back. Congestive failure causes coughing fits and breathing problems. Some time in the doggie ICU got her back on her feet but it was clear then that our time with her was limited. Pele did her best to bop around the yard with the other dogs, but we knew that another episode would likely disable her completely.

That episode arrived this weekend. Some adjusted medication appeared promising but Pele seemed to decide that she was ready to move on to a place where she could still run 100 miles per hour around the yard and still jump to secure her favorite spot on the bed. She refused food or water and after over a day of that we accepted that it was her time.

I carried her around the yard one last time and we all sat on the couch for TV time with Pele in her favorite spot between us. Then we said our farewells and then took her on her last ride to the animal hospital. They have a comfortable room with a couch. Pele left us quietly, lying in her favorite spot.

We will miss Pele terribly. But it's a small price for all the joy she brought to our lives. We're free now to remember her not as the frail girl who left us, but as she was - our princess, our puppy girl.

_

chop456
06-04-12, 04:35 AM
Sorry to hear that. Dogs are the best.

WickerBill
06-04-12, 05:48 AM
I am very sorry....

Rex Karz
06-04-12, 07:13 AM
I'm sorry. :(

Having lost a number of pets over the years, know all about the things like this. It always hurts.

Remember the good times as memories are forever.

RIP Pele.

extramundane
06-04-12, 07:41 AM
Sorry to hear that. :(

Napoleon
06-04-12, 08:45 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Insomniac
06-04-12, 08:45 AM
Tough news. Glad you have so many great memories!

Ziggy
06-04-12, 09:04 AM
Thanks for sharing your day with us, however painfull

It's the thing about our pets, they don't live as long as we do, yet somehow we equate our time like they are human

and of course, they are :D

You done good by Pele, and she knew it

Keep the faith

K

cameraman
06-04-12, 09:05 AM
:(

SteveH
06-04-12, 09:14 AM
Sorry to hear, dogs are truly man's best friend.

Don Quixote
06-04-12, 10:10 AM
Sorry for your loss. :( We lost 3 of 4 cats in one year, all in the 18-20 year-old range. Shhhh, don't tell bIf that I had cats.

Ozarkian
06-04-12, 10:46 AM
I'm sorry to hear of your loss. They are, and always will be, family.

dando
06-04-12, 11:29 AM
Sorry, boss. :(

-Kevin

nrc
06-04-12, 11:57 AM
Thanks all, for your kind thoughts.

TravelGal
06-04-12, 12:17 PM
I'm SO sorry. It's a real testament to her that you can write so eloquently when you're in such sorrow. What a beauty she was. How lucky you were to have her and she to have had you. Sympathies from the "Travel" family. :(

Ankf00
06-04-12, 01:32 PM
I remember seeing photos of 'em back when they were pups. So sorry to hear this.

TrueBrit
06-04-12, 03:29 PM
That's rough...sorry for your loss...

Indy
06-04-12, 08:56 PM
My condolences. That makes for a very sad time.

Anteater
06-04-12, 09:31 PM
Very sorry to read that you've lost your beloved Pele--I'm sure that she had a wonderful life with you (and vice versa). :(

RaceGrrl
06-04-12, 10:07 PM
Thanks, everyone. We already miss her a lot. I don't know how Richard put together such a beautiful tribute to our puppy- but I'm glad he did.

Methanolandbrats
06-04-12, 10:13 PM
Sorry about Pele. We're going through the same thing. Our kitty, Tiger is in bad shape. She has been hanging out with me for 15 years and is my twin daughters best friend. Got her when they were six years old. The next few days are really gonna suck. Have to remember that entropy gets everything and you have to savor the good times. :)

trish
06-04-12, 10:47 PM
Sorry for your loss.

Here's a poem called Rainbow Bridge that is posted at another site when someone loses a beloved pet.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Now I don't believe in a Rainbow Bridge but I do believe you will see Pele again someday and she'll be the healthy and happy dog she once was.

dando
06-04-12, 11:40 PM
Sorry for your loss.

Here's a poem called Rainbow Bridge that is posted at another site when someone loses a beloved pet.

Now I don't believe in a Rainbow Bridge but I do believe you will see Pele again someday and she'll be the healthy and happy dog she once was.

Rainbow Bridge is used to teach children about the passing of pets. Our vet gave us a copy of it after our Aussie Shepherd, Rosie, went to rest a few years ago when our oldest was ~3 and our youngest wasn't here yet. Tough thing to do to put a beloved pet to rest. :(

-Kevin

nrc
06-05-12, 12:31 AM
Sorry about Pele. We're going through the same thing. Our kitty, Tiger is in bad shape. She has been hanging out with me for 15 years and is my twin daughters best friend. Got her when they were six years old. The next few days are really gonna suck. Have to remember that entropy gets everything and you have to savor the good times. :)

Best wishes to you, Tiger, and your family. You're right, we have to let the pain pass and hang on to the fond memories.

pfc_m_drake
06-05-12, 07:04 AM
Sorry to hear boss. :(
I just lost my cat in May and I miss him like you can't even imagine.

G.
06-05-12, 08:10 AM
Doing this is way tougher than I thought it would be.

You have my best.

chop456
06-05-12, 08:31 AM
And I'm pretty sure I just figured out where the name Pele came from. :thumbup:

nrc
06-05-12, 12:33 PM
Yes, think goddess and not soccer player. :)

Gnam
06-05-12, 01:15 PM
feel better boss and Mr. boss :)

Methanolandbrats
06-05-12, 08:29 PM
Had the vet come over and put her to sleep. Just got done digging a hole in clay, before I got done I thought they might have to get a back hoe and dig another one for me. :D It's all good.

RaceGrrl
06-05-12, 11:49 PM
:( So sorry to hear about your Tiger.

Insomniac
06-07-12, 09:26 AM
Sorry to hear that M&B. :(

Methanolandbrats
06-07-12, 10:39 AM
Thanks.