PDA

View Full Version : Help me out Guys - Should I buy these tyres?

devilmaster
06-23-03, 01:44 PM
First off, here is my truck when I first bought it in 98.

http://www.mnsi.net/~smicalef/truck.jpg

Now, the stock Goodyear Eagle LS's were garbage. Pure crap. A few years back, I bought Firestone Firehawk SS10's, as a nod to my favorite racing series (CART was still using firehawks at the time), and they had the same raised white lettering that was seen on the racing tyres. They were a bigger tyre than the GY, so it gave a bigger, meatier look to the truck, and with the raised white letters, gave a great look to the Dakota.

Now my problem. Its about time that I should get some new tyres. I want to go with the same model, but it looks like they no longer make the SS10. Looking at Bridgestone/Firestone's website, they only have the Firehawk I need in one style now.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/dpp/glamour/tirephotos_full/FSFHI500.jpg

See my dilemma? It is basically the same tyre I've used and have gotten accustomed to.

So, should I buy the Firehawks?

RaceGrrl
06-23-03, 01:47 PM
Buy them and turn the lettering to the inside.

Napoleon
06-23-03, 01:59 PM
Hell, just sell the truck.

Turn7
06-23-03, 02:14 PM
Although Bridgestone supplies tires to the Champ Cars don't forget that Yokohama (atlantics) and Michelin (Barber Dodge Pro) supplies CART as well.

Look at those mfg. as well.

tllips
06-23-03, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
Buy them and turn the lettering to the inside.

I agree with RaceGrrl

devilmaster
06-23-03, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
Although Bridgestone supplies tires to the Champ Cars don't forget that Yokohama (atlantics) and Michelin (Barber Dodge Pro) supplies CART as well.

Look at those mfg. as well.

Thanks for the idea, T7. If there was a potenza that came in my size, I doubt we'd have this conversation. I have my own ideas on this situation, which I will share when this thread has run its course.

I just wanted to see what you guys thought.

steve

JoeBob
06-23-03, 02:28 PM
Your ideas don't happen to involve changing the sidewall lettering, do they? ;)

KLang
06-23-03, 02:29 PM
I voted no. Chances are a certain jerk in indy got paid something by firestone for the privilidge of using the name on the tires.

mello
06-23-03, 05:14 PM
Who is that guy standing next to the truck?

devilmaster
06-23-03, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Napoleon
Hell, just sell the truck.

Originally posted by Mello
Who is that guy standing next to the truck?

Hey! :mad:

smartasses.... :saywhat:

Steve
;)

RacinM3
06-23-03, 05:32 PM
Get a set of Dunlops and throw those Goodyears into the volcano.

DjDrOmusic
06-24-03, 12:23 AM
The last time I saw that truck it was loaded with a bunch of giddy people on their way to get totally S#!TFaced at BW3's!!;)

Seriously, doesn't Bridgestone make a similar tire called the Turanza?

RobGuru
06-24-03, 12:14 PM
Considering how you spell "tyre", I think a non-American brand is necessary. Nothing with the word "Indy" on it, unless the word "Indy" is followed by the word "Sux".

RaceGrrl
06-24-03, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by RobGuru
Considering how you spell "tyre", I think a non-American brand is necessary. Nothing with the word "Indy" on it, unless the word "Indy" is followed by the word "Sux".

He could get one of those white paint markers and write that on them. I think I like that solution best. :D

mapguy
06-24-03, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Type-S
I voted no. Chances are a certain jerk in indy got paid something by firestone for the privilidge of using the name on the tires.

Exactly. IMS licenses the name to Firestone. Firestone pays a royalty to the coke-head IdiotGrandson for everyone sold.

Just don't do it Steve.

JLMannin
06-24-03, 12:46 PM
Funny. I thought the biggest* race of the year at Indy was only 400 miles.

* in terms of % of available tickets sold and TV ratings.

WickerBill
06-24-03, 01:09 PM
I have Dunlop Rover AT OWL on my Ranger. Better than the Firestones they replaced.

Ankf00
06-24-03, 01:14 PM
Go with the paint on "sucks" idea ;) May not fit your age range but hey, if PT can do it so can you. :)

paper
06-24-03, 01:18 PM
kuhmo eckstas are the most amazing hi grip tire I have ever used.. they are only good for about 20 to 25000.. less if im driving. softies. like a racing tire.. BUT,, they are only about 85 bucks at tire rack.. old racer from sebring with too many fun fast cars turned me onto them.. if cart goes to Korea look for kuhmo to be involved...paper