PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to Texas?

racermike
05-28-12, 02:11 PM
Looks like I will be flagging on a turn ..

Who else is planning on being there? They are setting up room deals for us, but if anyone else already has something reserved let me know.

NismoZ
05-29-12, 09:43 PM
WOW! That many so far!? Look out.

mueber
05-30-12, 08:47 AM
I'd love to go, but the expense seems more than I can handle. We'll see.

Indy
05-30-12, 09:46 AM
I'll go if I win an all-expenses-paid trip. Otherwise **** 'em.

And I dare say my reaction doesn't bode well for their attendance figures, considering that I am a hard core fan who was in heaven at the USGP's in Indy.

Methanolandbrats
05-30-12, 09:59 AM
I'll go if I win an all-expenses-paid trip. Otherwise **** 'em.

And I dare say my reaction doesn't bode well for their attendance figures, considering that I am a hard core fan who was in heaven at the USGP's in Indy.

Yup, USGP at Mindy was :thumbup: Paying Monaco prices to go to Texas :thumdown:

Wheel-Nut
05-30-12, 10:14 AM
I live 2 1/2 hours away and most likely won't go this year.

Maybe next year.

What are the prices? I've only seen info for PSL's.

JohnHKart
05-30-12, 10:35 AM
Was all hung ho about it and have a room, but hearing that it's 200 to park at the race, or else shuttle there, then no late flights on Sunday , plus the ticket prices have kind of poured water on it.

datachicane
05-30-12, 02:03 PM
They're doing their damnedest to convince me to go to Montreal instead.

mueber
05-30-12, 03:47 PM
They're doing their damnedest to convince me to go to Montreal instead.

My thought exactly.

G.
05-31-12, 01:15 AM
If my sister gets comps, she might be back on my Christmas card list!

Had to drop her off the list, after the Singapore GP fiasco.

:D

Easy
05-31-12, 07:05 PM
2 friends with grandparents in Austin = 2 options for free lodging and rental car. Done deal.

racermike
06-02-12, 12:02 AM
Bought my airline tix yesterday.

Fly in the 13th, fly home the 19th. Guess they are working on lodging for the workers, but might couch surf the first couple of nights.

Was able to book through Enterprise for good deal on car for 6 days.

cameraman
06-06-12, 01:55 PM
The actual ticket prices have been announced.

Three day prices including shuttle bus transportation.

General Admission: $159
Grandstand - Turn 11: $269
Grandstand - Turns 2, 3, 4 and 5: $299
Grandstand - Turn 12 (lower rows): $399
Grandstand - Turn 12 (upper rows) : $499

The tickets will go on sale Sunday, June 10, 2012, at 10 a.m. EDT through www.CircuitofTheAmericas.com/tickets

TravelGal
06-06-12, 07:54 PM
My friends at Sports Empire have a package. The prices are :eek: Says tickets are in the reserved backstretch, wherever that might be.

cameraman
06-06-12, 08:02 PM
Those might be in the turn 15 premium grandstand

Methanolandbrats
06-06-12, 10:43 PM
I will not fold up and grab my ankles for a bus ride. They can go to hell. I will go to Montreal or God forbid, New Jersey before I cough up money for this ****.

cameraman
06-06-12, 11:12 PM
I will not fold up and grab my ankles for a bus ride. They can go to hell. I will go to Montreal or God forbid, New Jersey before I cough up money for this ****.

Hope you never plan to go to a winter Olympics were venue busses are mandatory no matter who you are.

Methanolandbrats
06-06-12, 11:14 PM
Hope you never plan to go to a winter Olympics were venue busses are mandatory no matter who you are.

NOpe, no plans whatsoever. Not the same. Racetrack = all day and cooler and chair and camera equipment. How do I put all that **** on a bus? OLympics = event ticket.

Trevor Longman
06-06-12, 11:45 PM
I think the biggest failure of this track is the lack of on site camping. They put 130 something RV spots on the back straight and expect that to suffice. It would just be so easy to dedicate an area of the infield over in the turn 10-11 area to camping, RV or otherwise. It would ease the pressure on the shuttles and the hotels situation by giving people an alternative but no. They neglect to give any consideration to one of the biggest facets of american motorsport spectating, camping out with a grill and and camp chairs every night and just soaking it all in for the whole weekend. Forcing people to shuttle over to overpriced hotels every night is going to alienate a good portion of their consumer base.

chop456
06-07-12, 01:14 AM
Like me. :tony:

JohnHKart
06-07-12, 01:34 AM
I just dont get it. Race tracks usually have plenty of land, yet this one has few parking spots.

Methanolandbrats
06-07-12, 08:17 AM
I just dont get it. Race tracks usually have plenty of land, yet this one has few parking spots.

No vegetation + rain = giant mud bog. Add in the drowning fire ants, scorpions and snakes and you have a good ol time.

cameraman
06-07-12, 12:08 PM

The problem is access which is a couple of two lane roads.

Methanolandbrats
06-07-12, 02:02 PM
The problem is access which is a couple of two lane roads.

Same problem at Road America back in the 80k days of CART, it too several hours to leave. Same at Michigan for cabs. Instead of getting bent at the end of the cab race, the experienced fans just set up a grill and watched the fights and road rage. :rofl: At Bristol, I drove right by the track because the lots looked like a nightmare. Saw an onramp for the interstate and people were parking on the shoulder. I pulled right up and parked. When I got out of my car a good ol boy looked at my Wisconsin plates and said "ya done a smart thing boy". I said "why thanks". :D I have no idea what this has to do with the Fire Ant Grand Prix, but it brought back some memories.

Gnam
06-07-12, 03:20 PM
It would just be so easy to dedicate an area of the infield over in the turn 10-11 area to camping, RV or otherwise.
Camping? Tarnation, son! An F1 infield ain't no place for no refugee tent city. No, sir! :gomer:

The only things that belong inside an F1 infield are transporters, team owners, and private helichoppers.

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/4810/4798446947e845fd3457.jpg http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/7669/stacksimage102.jpg

SteveH
06-07-12, 04:30 PM
The only things that belong inside an F1 infield are transporters, team owners, and private helichoppers.

No team transporters at a fly away race, right?

NismoZ
06-07-12, 04:35 PM
They all rent trucks from Penske?:)

Dirty Sanchez
06-14-12, 11:28 AM
flight, accommodations, tickets all booked and paid for.

of course it would be nice if they had camping available, but I understand why they don't. and it's certainly not a deal breaker... besides, I'm looking forward to spending time in Austin. good music scene, good restaurants, etc. should be a good vibe for the grand prix.

TrueBrit
06-14-12, 01:21 PM
Followed a link from Autopsort.com showed the cheapest ticket (GA) was $160.00. Cheapest grandstand was the upper $280's....

F1, in texass, charging that much for a bunch of furriners NOT to drive around in never-decreasing circles...yup...that's a sure-fired winner..

cameraman
08-03-12, 02:57 PM
Circuit of the Americas has confirmed that all six general admission areas located around various parts of the track have now sold out.

TravelGal
08-05-12, 10:08 PM
Apparently "overwhelming demand." Hope so.

My friend who planned the package tours is going. She's been to quite a few F1 races around the world so will be able to evaluate intelligently.

I spent some time this weekend with a friend from Austin who still insists that the road to the track is unpaved !!!! so they've now got a helicopter contract for people to get to the track.

j_d
08-08-12, 09:52 AM
Tickets purchased; hotel booked. We'll be there starting Thursday evening.

racermike
09-23-12, 08:44 AM
7 weeks to go ...

I am flying down on Tuesday afternoon, returning monday.

For those of you going, not sure how or where we could meet, as this will be likely a busy weekend for me. Have registration and maybe some extraction/KERS training, and worker dinner.

FYI, "the Wailers" (as in Bob Marley's Wailers) are having a concert at the track after the race.

Methanolandbrats
09-29-12, 09:58 AM
LIst of prohibited items http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/media-center
:big finger:

G.
09-29-12, 12:51 PM

The following items will be permitted:

Cash. Lots and lots of cash. All of it.

If you need help transporting your cash, you can bring it into any of the above illegal containers, as long as no food or beverages are in there. Only CASH.
:\

Methanolandbrats
09-29-12, 01:58 PM
probly more ATMs than porta pissers.

cameraman
10-05-12, 01:56 PM
So this showed up on twitter...

Oh dear. All appears not to be well at COTA. Garages haven't been built to spec and are far too small. Teams meeting Charlie to discuss.

Health and safety won't allow them to work in the garages. Bernie won't allow them to work under tarpaulin. One royal screw up brewing.

Hard to believe any architect/track owner could be that stupid, or that no one checked prior to them being finished.

Elmo T
10-05-12, 02:17 PM
Hard to believe any architect/track owner could be that stupid, or that no one checked prior to them being finished.

I work with architects and property owners everyday. I am not surprised. :laugh:

Gnam
10-05-12, 04:24 PM
According to this update, the garages were completed in mid-July.
Wonder why it took so long to find the problem?
They look good to me. :p

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/articles/cota-july-construction-update

http://s13.postimage.org/sanc02euv/COTA_garage.jpg

cameraman
10-05-12, 04:36 PM
I wonder if the door openings are too narrow.
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Xr0uDGh3utM/0.jpg

Gnam
10-05-12, 04:45 PM
I don't know, they look big and honkin' to me.

http://s16.postimage.org/bad9angyt/COTA_garage_2.jpg

cameraman
10-05-12, 05:39 PM

An edit...

Detachable cameras lenses of all sizes WILL BE PERMITTED at the 2012 FORMULA 1 UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX

But no video equipment.:rolleyes:

I guess these clowns haven't seen the specs on the new Canon & Nikon SLRs:shakehead

cameraman
10-06-12, 12:19 AM
More tweets

Just had a catch up with Charlie. Clarified COTA garage issue. Team complaints were over unequal allocation. Situation now resolved.

Top teams won't have quite as much space as they'd like, but they'll just have to suck it up. As Charlie says, "It's a beautiful facility"

The bus/parking plans are up.

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/transportation/circuit-of-the-americas-officials-map-out-plan-to-/nSWTf/

TravelGal
10-06-12, 10:00 PM
"Officials caution, however, that getting to those stops in the first place could take longer than the trip itself, and those estimates don’t include waiting or loading time."

Start early, end late and it'll work. I remember waiting so long for a bus that never came in Mexico City that I wound up riding back to the hotel in a minibus along with the TV crew. One of my fondest memories because we took about 3/4 of the track in that itty bitty bus. :thumbup:

NismoZ
10-07-12, 08:51 PM
Everything will be "fine"...about a $23,000,000 fine!:)

racermike
10-28-12, 12:53 AM
Got my turn assignment, but cant announce anything yet.

Things are lining up for the week though.

Tuesday - Fly in, BBQ somewhere
Wednesday - FOTA F1 Fan Forum (got invite today)
Thursday - Track Walk, and Registration
Friday - Track activity, Will Buxton Party in evening
Saturday - Track activity, Clay Walker concert at track Sat Night
Sunday - Race day!, and then "Wailers" concert Sunday night.
Monday - Sleep in til 9am, Tex-Mex for breakfast, fly home at 4pm

racermike
11-10-12, 03:32 AM
Shirts I made for a bunch of us turn workers for the race next week. (and printed an extra one for Kimi, and Will Buxton)

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/417130_10151322051045530_1617582976_n.jpg

Rex Karz
11-12-12, 10:07 AM
Won't be going. I like my fire ants and rattlesnakes dead, not alive.

Andrew Longman
11-12-12, 02:57 PM
Shirts I made for a bunch of us turn workers for the race next week.Great!

Now how do I get one? It is my birthday and I want to buy myself a present. :D

That pretty much has been my life motto exactly, good and bad.

TravelGal
11-12-12, 06:16 PM
I think that's great. You couldn't made a fortune selling them. Edit: ARG, what I get for posting late at night. Of course I meant, you COULD make a fortune selling these. I love the idea.

Easy
11-13-12, 04:40 PM
The man himself beat you to it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20267305

Gnam
11-13-12, 05:50 PM
Another t-shirt idea?

http://s8.postimage.org/aof0bzadh/darling.jpg

NismoZ
11-14-12, 03:42 PM
I think that "A Nortoriously Singular Character" line might be used in some way. Could be used in an F -1 Trivia game...I think most here could answer a question including that quote.:)

JohnHKart
11-17-12, 03:38 AM
I decided not to go and so I will never get to see Schuey in a race car. Robbed by that broken leg when I went to the Euro Gp in 99. Damm, I'm only 1380 miles from Cota here in LA.

RTKar
11-17-12, 11:33 AM
I decided not to go and so I will never get to see Schuey in a race car. Robbed by that broken leg when I went to the Euro Gp in 99. Damm, I'm only 1380 miles from Cota here in LA.

I'm bummed I never saw Senna. Fortunately IMS F1 happened or I'd never have seen Schuey.

racermike
11-23-12, 07:25 AM
Will give a report of weekend soon, as I picked up a nasty cold on the flight home monday.

Was best 6 days I have spent somewhere for a race weekend in my life!