PDA

View Full Version : Indy 500

Hard Driver
05-27-12, 11:51 PM
DVR didn't record it, so I watched highlights on the internet. Seemed like a pretty exciting race. Sato made a bold dive and Franchetti did a great job holding his line and then not getting hit by Sato. Certainly not a parade.

Andrew Longman
05-28-12, 12:02 AM
It was Sato's to win. He made his move too early and wrecked to boot.

Good race. Good drama. But second year in a row they guy who had it in the bag, the guy who would have been the storybook winner crashed at the end.

dando
05-28-12, 12:22 AM
I'll second (or third) that it wasn't a bad watch...when watched in bits and pieces that is (I got called into pool duty with the girls against my will followed by a 3-hour dance recital). I can only take Mushbooger in small doses, and I heard enough DW12 safety references and Scooter Goodyawn to last a lifetime. @ one point Reid had to mention that the bare metal along pit road were sold seats when they overhead panned across pit lane during one caution. Scooter and Reid couldn't heap enough praise on the safetyness of the new chassis and engine combo (every DW reference I heard just made me think Delta Wang :gomer:). :yuck: ABC cut to a dual in-car camera view towards the end when Dashley and Dixon passed Canine for the lead on a restart, and then switched to a view from further back (off T4?) and never really showed Canine going from P1 to P3 (or if the pass was legal). :shakehead :saywhat: The race did apparently set a new record for lead changes, so there is that, and it wasn't a Hanford leapfrog pass fest with multiple lead changes during the same lap. Momentum racing seemed to go away, and the leaders couldn't just go run and hide. The ending minus Sato trying to make his move like a teen on his first date was actually fairly entertaining (especially with Micro stuffing it into the wall and the look on Mikey's face was priceless). :gomer: Oh, and Ashley Judd is ****ing ugly. No wonder she wears those big ass floppy hats. :yuck: :gomer: :thumdown:

-Kevin

cameraman
05-28-12, 01:07 AM
All it did was remind me why I've never really liked oval races. Any series.

That car has a bad habit of flipping, roll hoop towards the wall, on impact. The twits in the booth were going on and on about how "safe" the car was when Conway went sliding down the top of the safer barrier. Actually the only thing that prevented Conway from becoming Weldon II was the thickness of the safer barrier. Had the design of that barrier been 2' thinner Conway's head would have reached the grater. As it was the car just slid down the barrier with Conway's head just out of reach of the fence. That was pure dumb luck that he wasn't killed.

The other thing that was hard to miss was the level of pit lane stupidity. Having watched F1 pit stops for years with the cars coming in between 14 guys and stopping on a dime, dozens of times in every race, I was stunned by the shear volume of people missing their boxes, taking out crew members and ridiculous releases that were ignored by the marshals. It was like amateur hour.

An Andretti the least is a stunning whiner.

And Sato is incapable of keeping the red mist at bay.

And the coverage was a joke, 1/2 of the field was never mentioned at all.

The whole thing rates a meh.

dando
05-28-12, 01:12 AM

There's a reason I chose vacuuming the house over the start of the race. It was entertaining in chunks...on the DVR. If nothing else to miss the Summer Wipeout promos, but the girls managed to catch one and want to watch it. :saywhat: I thought that's what IndyCar was... :gomer:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
05-28-12, 01:13 AM
I'll second (or third) that it wasn't a bad watch...all that... And throughout the race the fuel efficiency of the Honda vs Chevy played into a lot of strategic possibilities. A few late yellows made it moot but there was a bit of a chess match for a while.

dando
05-28-12, 01:14 AM
That was pure dumb luck that he wasn't killed.

That. First thing that came to mind as I reached for the mute button to turn off Goodyawn and Reid drooling over the DW12. :saywhat:

-Kevin

dando
05-28-12, 01:15 AM
all that... And throughout the race the fuel efficiency of the Honda vs Chevy played into a lot of strategic possibilities. A few late yellows made it mute but there was a bit of a chess match for a while.

Can't wait to hear more about the a league vs. b league fonda motors. :laugh:

-Kevin

TravelGal
05-28-12, 01:43 AM
All it did was remind me why I've never really liked oval races. Any series.

And the coverage was a joke, 1/2 of the field was never mentioned at all.

That's what I thought. Record lead changes due to successful drafting. Be still my heart. Rahal (the ancient) must be ready to strangle Sato. They talked all race about how he kept telling Sato to be patient. Lessee, who came in fourth? Never mentioned; never interviewed. Yet he came from a lap down to fourth. Let's face it, the heart went out of it for me when Wheldon died. I did like the tribute they did for him so it wasn't a total loss. Only the 200 laps after it.

Methanolandbrats
05-28-12, 12:34 PM
I watched the whole damn thing, the first time since the split. It was actually a pretty good race. With less ugliness, more power and another tub or two, it would be better. Highlights included Conway running into his crew and breaking his front wing. Sammich sent him back out, the car was undrivable and he took out Wills powerd :rofl: Then there was Whiney peckerwood the third leading many laps, he pits and the crew screws up his car and he goes all Danicles on them dropping F bombs on the radio. Then he proceeds to go low on the apron and walls the thing. TV audio picked up cheering from the stands when he was climbing out of the wreckage :rofl: Twinkletoes had problems too. :thumbup: Then there was Sato and his drift to the wall banzai drive. His last lap divebomb pass on Dixon was beautiful. Afterwards Dixon said he "had to let him go" **** you, you got smoked. Only downside was Sato didn't win or take Judd to the wall with him.

SurfaceUnits
05-28-12, 12:44 PM
1ZsfEGlQRLk

Don Quixote
05-28-12, 01:13 PM
Could have killed him very easily. And are those really the best broadcasters they can find? :yuck:

High Sided
05-28-12, 01:18 PM
GB_sXxdLLvQ

cameraman
05-28-12, 01:44 PM
All this and he was never mentioned in the coverage...

Today marked a career-best result in the Indianapolis 500 for Oriol Servia and Panther DRR. This weekend was the Spaniard's fourth start and he finished the day with his best result for this race.

Servia qualified 27th for the race and had a roller coaster of a race that finished on an incredible high with a 4th place position, making him the second highest finisher for Chevy.

Oriol had a good start and bounced around in position. The yellow flag came out on Lap 14 and he came in for a full fill of fuel and tires on Lap 15 and filtered from 28th to 26th position.

The green flag waved on Lap 18, but on Lap 22 his Mecum Auctions machine got extremely loose due to his tire going down. As a result, he came in on Lap 23 and the team changed all four tires and topped him off on fuel. Unfortunately, Servia went down a lap and filtered back to P30.

The entire race Panther DRR and Servia worked to try to get his lap back, but the yellow flags did not fall the team's way until the last stint. He would come in on Laps 52 and 90 for a full fill of fuel and tires. On Lap 50, he came in for fuel only in an attempt to get his lap back, but unfortunately was unable to.

Servia came into the pits for a full fill of fuel and tires on Laps 125 and 147.

It wasn't until Lap 163 when things started to get interesting for Panher DRR. The caution came out on Lap 163 and Servia stayed out to get the wave around to get his lap back. On Lap 166, the Spaniard finally got his lap back and would pit for the final time on Lap 168, receiving a full fill of fuel and tires which put him as the last car on the lead lap in P18.

The re-start came out on Lap 171 and Servia made an amazing pass on the outside going from P18 to P13 in one lap. Another caution came out and with the re-start on Lap 186 he moved his way up to P8.

The yellow came back out on Lap 187 and when the green flag waved on Lap 193, Servia made another incredible move and went from P8 to P6. On Lap 195 he passed Ryan Briscoe to put him in 5th position.

On Lap 199 the yellow came out for Takuma Sato, who was running second at the time, and as a result, Servia moved up to 4th position, where he would take the checkered flag.

:shakehead

TKGAngel
05-28-12, 01:55 PM
Then there was Whiney peckerwood the third leading many laps, he pits and the crew screws up his car and he goes all Danicles on them dropping F bombs on the radio. Then he proceeds to go low on the apron and walls the thing. TV audio picked up cheering from the stands when he was climbing out of the wreckage :rofl:

The awesome part of this whole thing happened after the race with Whiney McPeckerwood III blaming his wreck (and bell ringing) on Servia....then taking it back an hour later on Twitter when the Twitterverse jumped down his throat.

Cheever and Goodyear were their usual annoying selves. Jamie Little gets a big :thumbup: for working the pits (in a fire suit) while pregnant.

And the ratings are in - 4.1 on the overnights.

G.
05-28-12, 02:11 PM
Then there was Whiney peckerwood the third leading many laps, he pits and the crew screws up his car and he goes all Danicles on them dropping F bombs on the radio.

what lap?

Have to go search that one out.

:laugh:

Racing Truth
05-28-12, 02:38 PM
what lap?

Have to go search that one out.

:laugh:

Dude, what lap? Try lap 90-on. From there, it was a festival of f-bombs, screaming and whining. Made SparklePony of yore seem sober by comparison.:shakehead

As for the race, pretty entertaining. Had Hanford-like element at times, but the cream was allowed to rise to the top. My jaw was about to drop as I momentarily contemplated the notion of Sato pulling it off.

In his defense, he's thinking, "If I breathe the throttle, do I a) lose too much momentum to get Dario out of 4 and b) does Dixon get back around me, making a) moot?" Maybe a slight feathering of the throttle was in order, but you better be perfect in pulling it off.

NismoZ
05-28-12, 04:10 PM
Yep, win or wreck. Nobody wants 2nd. I give him credit for the effort, just glad he didn't take anyone with him. Wasn't aware of Servia's charge. (guess I wasn't the only one.) That was GREAT! Best race in many years, now I look forward to the fallout over the "rules"!:D

Methanolandbrats
05-28-12, 05:00 PM
All this and he was never mentioned in the coverage...

:shakehead

Ya, the post race coverage set a new low. No concern for Sato, no mention of anyone but Judd during his cooldown lap. When Judd stopped of course his manatee ran up to the car and they interviewed her for what seemed like an hour. Then they interview Dixon who was a total dick. Interviewed the nose too and he was cool.

Rogue Leader
05-29-12, 07:36 AM

The definition of his career.....

Napoleon
05-29-12, 08:32 AM
An Andretti the least is a stunning whiner.

Missed the race since the DVR failed to record it, but both the Washington Post and NY Times article essentially said that about him. That tells you something that it made it into the paper's stories.

JohnHKart
05-29-12, 10:42 AM
Great race, really enjoyed it. An Asian driver still has not won in a top tier open wheel series . Almost.

High Sided
05-29-12, 11:30 AM
sato went all kamikaze near the end :thumbup:

Napoleon
05-29-12, 11:38 AM
sato went all kamikaze near the end :thumbup:

I hope he didn't commit seppuku in the garage afterwords for putting his car in the wall.

TravelGal
05-29-12, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the post Cameraman. Where was that coverage? I did know it was Servia but I hadn't had time to find anything about how he did it. Second time he's come in fourth with zero post-race coverage of him or his team. They don't have the big bucks so no air time, is my guess.

No doubt that he needed the right yellow at the right time (EIGHT pit stops!) but he took advantage of it and passed the field. I've been a fan ever since he got screwed over by Newman Haas to make sure Bourdais won the championship. I forget the year but I can still see him moving up on Bourdais and backing off and the announcers talking about there being no team orders. Yeah right.

cameraman
05-29-12, 12:13 PM
If Oriol himself hadn't tweeted the link to the information I never would have known.:shakehead

Elmo T
05-29-12, 02:02 PM
If Oriol himself hadn't tweeted the link to the information I never would have known.:shakehead

I watched about half - beginning and the end. I swear I don't ever recall hearing his name. :confused:

dando
05-29-12, 02:40 PM
I watched about half - beginning and the end. I swear I don't ever recall hearing his name. :confused:

Spoke to my manager today who was there...cookie boy's name wasn't mentioned @ IMS either. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Racing Truth
05-29-12, 02:42 PM

You're not wrong.

Watch the last 15 laps. ABC SHOWS Servia passing Briscoe on the outside going into 3. Who do they mention? Briscoe, of course.:shakehead

I'm convinced Marty had/has no clue who Oriol is.:rolleyes:

stroker
05-29-12, 04:39 PM
so what I'm hearing is that overall for 2012 the leeg TV is excellent, except for the flagship race of the year.

typical.

:tony:

Methanolandbrats
05-29-12, 05:56 PM
I thinks everyone involved was told to toss Penske and Floyds salads and ferget bout everything else.

Chief
05-29-12, 06:33 PM
SO, the question begging to be asked: Was Floyd sandbagging or was the big turbogate something Penske had a legitimate complaint about? Maybe they forgot to turn off the extra boost on the Hondas! :p

SurfaceUnits
05-29-12, 07:02 PM
SO, the question begging to be asked: Was Floyd sandbagging or was the big turbogate something Penske had a legitimate complaint about? Maybe they forgot to turn off the extra boost on the Hondas! :p

Chevy took their new engines early and took the 10 spot penalty. Honda waited for the 1800 mile mark to introduce its new motor to a couple of teams, after the reported indy quallies which nobody witnessed

Chief
05-29-12, 08:47 PM
Chevy took their new engines early and took the 10 spot penalty. Honda waited for the 1800 mile mark to introduce its new motor to a couple of teams, after the reported indy quallies which nobody witnessed

Is that like the much fabled Townsend Bell twit that said "B grade" Honda engines? :confused::laugh:

It's all equal because the IRL sez it is. 4.1 BTW...:rofl: