PDA

View Full Version : Remember the uproar when not everyone got Cosworth XDs?

JoeBob
05-27-12, 10:50 PM
Glad that's all fixed now.

Or not.

Here's what Townsend Bell had to say:

Happy with finish given b league motor treatment. Wish i had the new spec to fight at the front. Proud of ssm guys. No mistakes.

https://twitter.com/TownsendBell99/status/206850831931277312

Thanks, Tony!

NismoZ
05-27-12, 10:57 PM

SteveH
05-27-12, 11:09 PM
h

TravelGal
05-28-12, 02:02 AM
Ah, Townsend. Does anyone remember why he chooses to run number 99? I hope it's a good reason because it annoys me every time I see it. /end hijack

SurfaceUnits
05-28-12, 02:06 AM
wonder how much he'll be fined for not kissing IMSASS

Easy
05-28-12, 01:43 PM
Bell doesn't choose the 99, Schmidt does.

Racing Truth
05-28-12, 02:01 PM
Bell doesn't choose the 99, Schmidt does.

Right, has been that team's # for awhile now.

To the whole Greg Moore thing, just not a fan of retiring, formally or informally, numbers in this sport.

Interesting comment by Bell. Looked like Ganassi, RLLR (Sato anyhow), BHA (Tagliani was quick all day. Pit snafu cost him) and Coyne got the new gen motors. Given past success at Indy, dunno why SSM wasn't. Time, parts?

Andrew Longman
05-28-12, 06:06 PM
From this http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/story/_/id/7977344/indycar-honda-turns-heat-indianapolis-500 it would seem Honda gamed the rules rationally to maximize the chance of winning Indy-- the only real reason to be involved in the series. And given the way the rules are written it would have been hard and irrational to give the one off teams the new/better engine before the regulars.

Frankly good for Honda. It is a competitive business.

Methanolandbrats
05-28-12, 06:27 PM
^^^ **** Honda. They are marketers, not racers. If they cannot win, they whine like little bitches, take their ball and go home. They did it in F1 twice and in CART. I would walk before I would park one of those ****ing things in my driveway. :mad:

SteveH
05-28-12, 06:57 PM
Huck Fonda

Rocketdoc
05-28-12, 10:10 PM
^^^ **** Honda. They are marketers, not racers. If they cannot win, they whine like little bitches, take their ball and go home. They did it in F1 twice and in CART. I would walk before I would park one of those ****ing things in my driveway. :mad:

Well said, and IMO, accurate.

Ziggy
05-29-12, 02:27 PM
I thought that the #99 was Merle Bellengers :gomer:

stroker
05-29-12, 04:31 PM
I thought that the #99 was Merle Bellengers :gomer:

Or Dick Trickle

<cheesehead smilie>

NismoZ
05-29-12, 07:07 PM
Nope...LEE WALLARD! My first toy race car! I thought all race cars were #99.:D

Ziggy
05-31-12, 08:11 AM
Lee Wallard drove for Merle Bellenger. One time during the 1951 season. The car was the regular ride of one Eugene "Tony" Bettenhausen. See, the driver drives, the owner owns, enters and pays for the car, thus chosing the number. :gomer:

Bettenhausen also won the National Driving Title.

NismoZ
05-31-12, 08:36 AM
Right. I know that now, of course, but as a tot playing with toy race cars I really wasn't much interested in car OWNERS.:D Wallard and Bettenhausen were often mentioned by my dad, however and naturally that toy, and those two guys became my first racing favorites. I think I also believed the "Belanger" on the side of the car spelled Bettenhausen!:) For me that "99" car is still the best example of the pre-roadster Indy Car.:thumbup:

High Sided
05-31-12, 08:48 AM
Ah, Townsend. Does anyone remember why he chooses to run number 99? I hope it's a good reason because it annoys me every time I see it. /end hijack

Sam has a good reason, Schmidt's # was 99 when he raced and being he can only use his mouth for the rest of his life he gets my "pass" on the # issue.

Andrew Longman
06-01-12, 12:01 AM
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-inside-hondas-indy-500-victory/P1

A good read.

Hate Honda if you want, but they worked within the rules quite rationally.

And apparently they could have exploited the rules more and instead showed the series where their rules are weak.

Sorry, but in my experience this is why they win and why they succeed as a car company.

Indy
06-01-12, 12:42 AM
Wow, like, technology and stuff. Fluid dynamic thingies. Cool. :tony:

trauma1
06-01-12, 03:35 PM
Right, has been that team's # for awhile now.

To the whole Greg Moore thing, just not a fan of retiring, formally or informally, numbers in this sport.

Interesting comment by Bell. Looked like Ganassi, RLLR (Sato anyhow), BHA (Tagliani was quick all day. Pit snafu cost him) and Coyne got the new gen motors. Given past success at Indy, dunno why SSM wasn't. Time, parts?

Sam damn well knows what the #99 means to most INFORMED race fans, huck you:flame::flame::flame:

Racing Truth
06-01-12, 03:39 PM
Sam damn well knows what the #99 means to most INFORMED race fans, huck you:flame::flame::flame:

How many #'s should we retire in racing, under what criteria?

chop456
06-01-12, 03:47 PM
Who'd be first on your list? Billy Boat? Double 'O' Joe? Racin' Gardner, perhaps? :tony:

cameraman
06-01-12, 05:30 PM

Yet you have never said word one about Castroneves or Beatriz.:irked:

Racing Truth
06-01-12, 07:11 PM
Who'd be first on your list? Billy Boat? Double 'O' Joe? Racin' Gardner, perhaps? :tony:

Dude, Beechler!:gomer::laugh: