PDA

View Full Version : Racing back to the line under the yellow

Napoleon
06-23-03, 12:12 PM
My God, NASCAR even does it on road courses.

http://www.cleveland.com/grandprixofcleveland/index.ssf?/base/sports/105636061268780.xml

cart7
06-23-03, 12:23 PM
Jeff Gordon said Robby broke a gentleman's agreement not to pass for position under yellow.

"On a waving caution in a corner you can pass if you happen to be making a move on a guy, but that's not what happened because he about did it the caution before that," Jeff Gordon said. "In that situation, we kind of maintain our position because you don't know what's on the track.

Gentlemans agreement?
:rolleyes:
I've seen Jeff let certain drivers by on ovals many times. Personnaly, I plain don't understand the logic behind the rule.
Besides the safety issues due to safety vehicles not being able to enter the track until the whole field gets around to the SF line, why would you work so hard to lap a guy only to let him back on the lead lap at the next yellow??

Eagle104
06-23-03, 12:40 PM
Can this be for real?:

"On a waving caution in a corner you can pass if you happen to be making a move on a guy...."

WickerBill
06-23-03, 12:54 PM
NASCAR's updating of the rule will be to change it to "guy or gal".

RaceChic
06-23-03, 01:27 PM
Dangerous and STUPID!!!!
Every now and then some things just blow my mind.......... :shakehead

Wheel-Nut
06-23-03, 01:45 PM
I guess in the next drivers meeting Robby Gordon should stand up and let everyone know that he will pass them while racing back to the s/f line. Or maybe they already know!!

JoeBob
06-23-03, 01:49 PM
Stupid rules always stay in place until somebody takes advantage of them (look at what it took to get the pushrod loophole removed from the USAC rule book).

You have to give Robby credit: He asked for a clarification, and then took full advantage of it. If he keeps it up, they'll change the rule to close the loophole.

It is unfortunate that it has to happen that way.

RacinM3
06-23-03, 03:24 PM
Corner workers must love working these events. After all, getting hit by a 3000 lb stock car at speed can't hurt THAT much, can it? :confused:

RTKar
06-23-03, 05:44 PM
Heck, I'm suprised there isn't an official "Race Back to the Yellow" sponsor and some kind of bonus point system in place to reward the guys that are best at it, until a few drivers get seriously hurt or killed, it'll be status quo in the soon to be Nextel Cup.

Turn7
06-24-03, 08:09 AM
Inside Racing covered this and Bostwick was digging trying to get them to rail on Robby for racing back to the yellow and breaking the gentlemans agreement.

Kenny Wallace's response was, Im to dumb to know that I could race back to the yellow.

Johnny Benson's response was, rule or not, you need to go on the side of caution and be smart.

Kenny Schrader's response was, if they think that you need a rule saying that a car has to meet a template within .000000001's of an inch then they can make a rule and not rely on an ancient agreement that has no merit or bearing in todays world.

I think Kenny Shrader has the right idea in this situation and makes the most sense.

chop456
06-24-03, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by RTKar
until a few drivers get seriously hurt or killed, it'll be status quo in the soon to be Nextel Cup.

Much like driving around on the apron 100MPH off the race pace "picking up valuable points".

How long until someone pulls to the inside, out of the draft and cannonballs the slower car. There should be something similar to the 107% rule, but for the race. Of course, Larry Foyt would protest.

Warlock!
06-24-03, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by chop456
There should be something similar to the 107% rule, but for the race.
Going even further, if they didn't have the most ri-goddamn-diculous point system in all of motor racing, they couldn't race around for "valuable points". I mean, last place still gets 20% as many points as the winner! If they only rewarded points to only the top 25 or 30 finishers, there would be no reason to drive around the track at half speed, looking for 3 extra points.

Back on topic, just think tho... if NASCAR followed Schrader's advice and did away with the practice of racing back to the yellow flag, the drivers would be calling it the "Robby Gordon Rule". If that were to happen, there wouldn't be a helmet big enuf for Gordon-lite...

Warlock!

JSR
06-24-03, 10:10 AM
I am very glad that R. Gordon won and I don't think he did anything wrong. Having said that, I think racing back to the yellow is the dumbest rule in all of racing.

Hink
06-24-03, 11:50 AM
All these drivers complaining at Gordon for passing under yellow need to complain about NASCAR instead. They don't have the guts, probably for good reason. It's a really dumb rule but that's the rule they play by.

RobGuru
06-24-03, 12:05 PM
From the tone of this thread, I gather that this is what RG did...

Read the rule, question the rule, understand the rule, USE the rule to his advantage!!

Kuddos to RG... to everybody else, sucks if you don't do your homework!!

Wheel-Nut
06-24-03, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by RobGuru
From the tone of this thread, I gather that this is what RG did...

Read the rule, question the rule, understand the rule, USE the rule to his advantage!!

Kuddos to RG... to everybody else, sucks if you don't do your homework!!

He brought the point up inthe drivers meeting. He asked if the racing back to the yellow was in play.

cart7
06-24-03, 12:51 PM
originally posted by Warlock
Going even further, if they didn't have the most ri-goddamn-diculous point system in all of motor racing, they couldn't race around for "valuable points". I mean, last place still gets 20% as many points as the winner! If they only rewarded points to only the top 25 or 30 finishers, there would be no reason to drive around the track at half speed, looking for 3 extra points.
Exactly! If a driver puts himself into the wall 20 laps into a race, I don't know why he should be allowed to pull the car into the garage, Strip off half the body work, and then roll the hulk back into the show way off the pace, shedding bolts and metal onto the track just to pick up way more points than he deserves.

RTKar
06-24-03, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by cart7
Exactly! If a driver puts himself into the wall 20 laps into a race, I don't know why he should be allowed to pull the car into the garage, Strip off half the body work, and then roll the hulk back into the show way off the pace, shedding bolts and metal onto the track just to pick up way more points than he deserves.

...and what I don't understand, is how the car minus parts can pass post race tech, yet there have have been instances of winning cars being questioned because the driver stood on the thing, bent it up enough that it didn't fit the template :shakehead

RacinM3
06-24-03, 08:02 PM
I would protest the car for being underweight everytime someone pulled that stunt if I were a NASCAR crew chief or team owner.

DaveL
06-24-03, 09:32 PM
I know of no NASCAR fan who likes the race back to the line rule. It is a relic of the days of hand scoring, and that's the only reason why they did it.

As for cars putting around on the apron, NASCAR states that you have to be within a certain percent of the leader's speed (I think it's the leader's at least) or they black flag you. Of course, the car is still out there running slow until NASCAR determines it isn't fast enough so there is plenty of opportunity for danger.

The ultimate case of a car that would have never passed tech being allowed to keep its place in the standings is the 1982 Daytona and Bobby Allison. The car had no rear bumper so it was a good 40lbs underweight...to say nothing of the fact that the rear bumper on the Buick Regal (stock bodies in them days) acted like a parachute on superspeedways.

rabbit
06-26-03, 12:44 AM
http://www.limanews.com/display/inn_sports/sports02.txt

pchall
06-26-03, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by DaveL
The car had no rear bumper so it was a good 40lbs underweight...to say nothing of the fact that the rear bumper on the Buick Regal (stock bodies in them days) acted like a parachute on superspeedways.

Was that one of the famous "detachable bumper" cars? There was a time when Buick rear bumpers mysteriously fell off early in every superspeedway event...

Don Quixote
06-26-03, 10:28 AM
Rabbit: nicely written. I doubt if you even get any hate mail for that one. :cool:

Chitowncartfreak
06-26-03, 11:41 AM
If they have a "gentlemen's agreement" not to bump into each other in the closing laps at Bristol, do you really think Jeff Gordon would follow it? I think some of Paul Tracy's comments last weekend apply here.

rabbit
06-27-03, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by rabbit
http://www.limanews.com/display/inn_sports/sports02.txt bad link

try this one
http://www.limanews.com/display/inn_sports/Thursday/sports02.txt