PDA

View Full Version : RIP Duck Dunn

opinionated ow
05-15-12, 07:40 AM
Sadly Donald 'Duck' Dunn passed away in his sleep in Japan last weekend. Dunn was on a tour with long time collaborators Steve Cropper and Eddie Floyd.

He was one of the most recorded bass players of all time and one of the greatest. The house bass player of the magnificent Stax recording company, he was most famous for his roles in Booker T. & The MG's and the Blues Brothers Band. He worked with an incredible list of artists: Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, Sam & Dave, Albert King, Isaac Hayes, Carla Thomas, Rufus Thomas, The Mar-Keys, Eddie Floyd, Johnny Taylor, Arthur Conley, William Bell, David Porter, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, Creedence, Bob Dylan, Rod Stewart, Eric Clapton, Jerry Lee Lewis and Muddy Waters to name just 23.

Steve Cropper once described his method of playing as being unique because he was self trained and just filled in the gaps where he thought there ought to be sound. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1992 with the rest of the MG's and was presented a lifetime achievement award at the 2007 Grammy Awards.

Most famous for his line "we had a sound that could turn goat piss into gasoline" in the 1980 Blues Brothers movie, he is survived by his wife, son and grandchildren.

Elmo T
05-15-12, 08:11 AM
:(

What a career. :thumbup:

My 8yo has been watching Blue Brothers about once a week for the last 6 months. Music appreciation > any bad words he might hear. He knows Duck Dunn and Matt "Guitar" Murphy as much as Jake and Elwood. Nothing warms my heart as much as my 8yo belt out "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" or "Minnie the Moocher".

Until he started asking about the people in the movie, I didn't have an appreciation of the level of talent in the band. Sure they were fronted by a couple of comedians (who loved the music), but that was a real deal supergroup.

Andrew Longman
05-15-12, 08:36 AM
Wow.

I guess he was probably older than I thought.

Truly a great.

Seriously.Think "great bass players" and who else do you think of besides Donald Duck Dunn?

Elmo T
05-15-12, 09:11 AM
Wow.

I thought the same thing when I wiki'd some of the other musicians in the Blues Brothers. Many in their 70's now - Matt Murphy was born in 1929. If you count Cab Calloway - dude was born in 1907!:laugh:

Seriously.Think "great bass players" and who else do you think of besides Donald Duck Dunn?

For our friends from the Great White North - Geddy Lee? ;)

opinionated ow
05-15-12, 09:17 AM
Wow.

Truly a great.

The only others that come close are James Jameson and to a lesser extent Jerry Jermott.

gerhard911
05-15-12, 12:18 PM
The only others that come close are James Jameson and to a lesser extent Jerry Jermott.

You beat me to it but got the name slightly wrong. James Jamerson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Jamerson)

RIP Duck :(

Gnam
05-15-12, 01:32 PM
Sad to hear of his passing. Love the Blues Brothers. :(

Al Czervik
05-15-12, 02:44 PM
"We had a band powerful enough to turn goat piss into gasoline"

and

"If the shiat fits, wear it!"

/they broke my watch
//orange whip?
///SCMODS???