PDA

View Full Version : something about this season is beginning to stink...

stroker
05-13-12, 09:42 PM
and I think it's tires. There is something excessively "random" about the way teams are vaulting/receding in the qualifying/finishing order that begs statistical belief, from my humble perspective. I think the organizers are intentionally spec'ing a tire that has performance parameters so narrow and finite that they're effectively stripping the 1st tier teams of their advantages in design. Is it possible that the tire design/construction is being manipulated to favor the second tier teams? There's got to be a certain level of manufacturing tolerance in them, right? But does that explain these swings from race to race? What about the distribution--just HOW are the tires being distributed to the teams? Randomly?

One more thing. Alonso just happens to have a great car for Spain while Massa gets lapped? WTF is that? There's no other team on the grid with that level of disparity. While I'm not a fan of Ferrari's management and driver preference philosophy, not even I think they're giving Fred a spectacular car at Massa's expense. Massa may not be as good as he was prior to The Accident, but he's not THAT bad.

Methanolandbrats
05-13-12, 09:50 PM
There is a randomness to it and it's because of tires. Each track has different wear criteria and whoever gets the setup right and does not abuse the tires goes to the front. IMO tires should not play such a huge role in the outcome.

WickerBill
05-13-12, 10:14 PM
I think Massa is that bad, personally. He isn't the same driver anymore, and he is never close.

opinionated ow
05-13-12, 10:15 PM
It does seem more than a little ludicrous. I maintain that if we had proper tyre competition all those teams would still be competitive.

Rogue Leader
05-14-12, 09:20 AM
There is a randomness to it and it's because of tires. Each track has different wear criteria and whoever gets the setup right and does not abuse the tires goes to the front. IMO tires should not play such a huge role in the outcome.

But in the age of people running whatever tires they wanted tires (and making your suspension work with them) played a huge role. You're right about the setup and a very narrow range. This however is no different than the past, only now instead of the teams pulling the strings its F1 management, which instead makes it a bit contrived.

cameraman
05-14-12, 11:25 AM
IMO tires should not play such a huge role in the outcome.You mean like having Bridgestone design bespoke tires for Ferrari and letting the other teams make do?

Methanolandbrats
05-14-12, 11:59 AM
You mean like having Bridgestone design bespoke tires for Ferrari and letting the other teams make do?

No, that is tinfoil hat theory at it's best. With the current formula it would be nice to get rid of the mandatory usage of the supersofts. That would at least eliminate some overtaking in the pits and force teams to use more of the regular compound tires and take a big gamble on the supersofts.

stroker
05-14-12, 12:43 PM
As long as I'm on a semi-rant, how the hell did Karthikayan start the race when he didn't meet the 107% rule? What happened with the post-race analysis of the $chumacher/Senna incident?

As far as I'm concerned, Pirelli should offer a tire at EVERY race that's sufficiently hard to run the entire distance without a pit stop. If you qualify and start the race on that tire you should be exempted from the required pit stop and multiple tire use rule.

Rogue Leader
05-14-12, 01:03 PM
As long as I'm on a semi-rant, how the hell did Karthikayan start the race when he didn't meet the 107% rule? What happened with the post-race analysis of the $chumacher/Senna incident?

As far as I'm concerned, Pirelli should offer a tire at EVERY race that's sufficiently hard to run the entire distance without a pit stop. If you qualify and start the race on that tire you should be exempted from the required pit stop and multiple tire use rule.

His last practice time was within the 107% rule.

I honestly do agree with the way that rule is implemented in these days (allowing practice times to count). Its not like in the 80's and 90's when you had teams like Andrea Moda and Playlife showing up with cars that were dangerously slow, and in some cares nearly undriveable.

cameraman
05-14-12, 01:04 PM

He had turned laps faster than the 107% in practice and the didn't complete q1 because his car died mid-session. The stewards will let any car start that has turned a lap faster than the 107% cut off at any time during the weekend. You think that they would prevent a Red Bull from starting the race if something broke at the beginning of q1 and it didn't post a time?

Schumacher got a 5 grid spot penalty for Monaco because he is a ****wit.

stroker
05-14-12, 01:13 PM
You think that they would prevent a Ferrari from starting the race if something broke at the beginning of q1 and it didn't post a time?

FTFY

;)

Badger
05-16-12, 06:50 PM
I wonder if the issue is less about the tire performance being so narrow, and more about some sets being significantly better than others.

opinionated ow
05-16-12, 06:53 PM
I wonder if the issue is less about the tire performance being so narrow, and more about some sets being significantly better than others.

If HRT scores a point then that must be true.

NismoZ
05-19-12, 04:28 PM
Nitwit? Yeah, yeah,...I saw that guy juke left right in front of him! Nice block, but he paid the price. Happens to me every day on my way into the Big City. I WANT to hit 'em...but my paycheck is not guaranteed!

EDwardo
05-19-12, 06:26 PM
Nitwit? Yeah, yeah,...I saw that guy juke left right in front of him! Nice block, but he paid the price. Happens to me every day on my way into the Big City. I WANT to hit 'em...but my paycheck is not guaranteed!
And your team doesn't spend all night repairing your car so it is ready to go the next morning!

NismoZ
05-19-12, 09:06 PM
Si.

stroker
05-19-12, 09:48 PM
On the other hand we don't have to exercise constantly and follow a strict diet regimen. I'm more in the Buddy Baker school of driver preparation...