05-11-12, 04:57 PM
The end of an era. :(

Leadfoote
05-11-12, 05:05 PM
sad news.

R.I.P Sir.

Rex Karz
05-11-12, 05:14 PM
I had a sticker from his Terlingua Race Team on the back of my first-ever car, a 1963 VW Beetle.

http://www.carrollshelbymerchandise.com/images/artwork_and_signs/DC-TERLINGUA-LARGE-W.jpg

RIP.

Andrew Longman
05-11-12, 05:38 PM
Sad News.

I remember as a kid there was hardly a greater thrill than spotting one of his rare Shelby Cobra Mustangs. Seriously bad ass in this kids opinion. I still get a thrill.

And AC Cobras were and are an even greater thrill. Just primal.

datachicane
05-11-12, 05:59 PM
He was a money-grubbing sellout, a total crook, a bastard in every way, and the world is a poorer place without him.

:(

Dvdb
05-11-12, 06:55 PM
And the man made a helluva chilli, too.

stroker
05-11-12, 07:13 PM
I always wondered what he and Kelly Johnson might have cooked up together had their paths ever crossed...

gjc2
05-11-12, 07:16 PM
Sad News.

I remember as a kid there was hardly a greater thrill than spotting one of his rare Shelby Cobra Mustangs. Seriously bad ass in this kids opinion. I still get a thrill.

And AC Cobras were and are an even greater thrill. Just primal.

I guy a block away from me had a GT350 and a local guy had a 289 Cobra I would often see at local autocrosses and I got that same thrill. It’s always amazed me how many people didn’t

Don Quixote
05-11-12, 07:34 PM
Very sad. :(
[blog] In about 1974 a good friend of mine bought a '69 Shelby Mustang. He bought it for $3000 which seemed like a lot at the time. The prior owner was a hillbilly from around Zanesville, and for some reason billy took out the 428 cobrajet and put in a 289 with 351 Windsor heads. He also changed out the rear end so the top speed was about 65 mph. Even then, that car ran so great, and looked so great and sounded so great. I only drove it once and it was scary. I would give a bunch to drive it again. It was metal flake blue, which I don't think was stock, so the car was far from a collectors item. My friend turned it around for a little profit a few years later since it got about 6 mpg and he couldn't afford to drive it and maintain it. Memories. :(

nrc
05-12-12, 12:36 AM
Sad day. Carroll Shelby basically invented awesome. His cars are automotive lust distilled into sheet metal.

I suppose we're lucky to have had him this long. Seems like he's had everything replaced at least once. I guess he's one of the longest lived heart transplant patients, with a new ticker circa 1990. Twenty three extra years of awesome is a medical miracle we can all be thankful for.

He'll be missed.

JohnHKart
05-12-12, 03:16 AM
I met him at Reno Sept 16 , 2011. That mustang almost took him , bob Hoover and baron Hilton. The trailer they sat next to was behind the grandstands. It was close. Also sat next to him at a memorial in 07 but I was too shy to say hi. I'm glad I met him, great guy.

chop456
05-12-12, 07:46 AM
^ That's cool. I didn't realize you were that close. It amazes me that you can still talk about that day.

RIP Carroll.

trish
05-13-12, 02:27 PM
I thought this was an interesting summary of his life. Carroll Shelby (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/carroll-shelby-driver-and-designer-of-high-speed-sports-cars-dies-at-89/2012/05/12/gIQAvPoBLU_story.html)

TravelGal
05-20-12, 12:42 AM
Petersen Automotive Museum to host Carroll Shelby memorial.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120518/COLLECTOR/120519800#ixzz1vNjU1esQ

datachicane
05-20-12, 10:10 AM
I always wondered what he and Kelly Johnson might have cooked up together had their paths ever crossed...

Well, Johnson was an engineer. Shelby was a marketer/promoter who hired engineers. Big difference.