PDA

View Full Version : How about that Lavin

Wheel-Nut
06-23-03, 10:52 AM
Finished on the lead lap with his car intact! Walker has to be happy about that one!

Hink
06-23-03, 11:34 AM
He passed Carpentier in turn 7 after the local yellow for the spin in turn 6 too. The full course yellow wasn't thrown yet. I couldn't believe it.

Dr. Corkski
06-23-03, 09:52 PM
Not to mention the complete wanker move on Papis.

Time to send the idiot to the IRL.

Kate
06-24-03, 08:51 PM
He's still way faster than you are.

cart7
06-24-03, 08:57 PM
I'd like to know what the deal was on that last yellow or next to the last when Michel waved him past. Anyone know what that was about?? :confused:

Dr. Corkski
06-24-03, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Kate
He's still way faster than you are. Don't be so sure. Zhivago is a far less American name than Slowvin.

devilmaster
06-24-03, 09:19 PM
Well, you don't have to be good at what you do to call yourself a professional.

I'm sure a few will agree with that.

Steve

Sean O'Gorman
06-25-03, 12:40 AM

I assume then by that standard you don't have the right to criticize other motorsports journalists because they are all more professional than you, right? :shakehead

Lizzerd
06-25-03, 01:06 AM

You know what this sounds like to me? Don't answer. I'll tell you. It sounds like me. When I was ten years old. It was 1967. I grew up as a Detroit Tigers fan (brainwashed at an early age), and I remember my father complaining about their shortstop. His name was Ray Oyler, a Mendoza Line kind of player, good glove no bat. My dad said something like "bah, Oyler, he's no ball player." I said "well, dad, he's better than you, isn't he?" True story.

Hink
06-25-03, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
Not to mention the complete wanker move on Papis.

Time to send the idiot to the IRL.

Carpentier isn't bad - he can win - just surprised Lavin beat him into turn 7, just after turn 6 with the spin and the yellow.

(hint - Lavin didn't slow down much for the yellow or got a good exit out of the yellow turn.)

DjDrOmusic
06-25-03, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by devilmaster
Well, you don't have to be good at what you do to call yourself a professional.

I'm sure a few will agree with that.

Steve

I need to check with someone first to see if I can agree with that wholeheartedly, but at this time, until I hear differently I believe you may be correct!!:laugh: :rofl: :thumbup:

RaceChic
06-25-03, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by DjDrOmusic
I need to check with someone first to see if I can agree with that wholeheartedly, but at this time, until I hear differently I believe you may be correct!!:laugh: :rofl: :thumbup:

Are you calling Andy Hall?????? :laugh:

Wheel-Nut
06-25-03, 10:18 AM
http://www.cart.com/Content/Photos/2003/By400/20030623P_0024.jpg

Can't we all just get along!! :rofl:

RaceGrrl
06-25-03, 10:27 AM
Has anyone noticed how Paul Tracy looks like Slow Adam?

Warlock!
06-25-03, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
Has anyone noticed how Paul Tracy looks like Slow Adam?
Mmmmmmmm... Sam Adams...

Warlock!

rabbit
06-25-03, 03:37 PM
He's still way faster than you are. MyGil.

I'd bet my life on it.

Warlock!
06-25-03, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
MyGil.

I'd bet my life on it.
Don't forget Lulu...

Warlock!

Ankf00
06-25-03, 05:33 PM
and he still can't hold a candle to anyone else with a perm ride this year. or papis and herta who've done 1 race a piece.

FCYTravis
06-26-03, 03:32 PM
He totally wanked Papis out of the race. Blatant and stupid move. The guy has no business in anything faster than a Power Wheels. Same goes for the other wankers, Salles and Boss.

datachicane
06-26-03, 06:56 PM
I am in no way defending Lavin or suggesting he's the next Senna, but...

It's been a very scant few months since Jourdain and Dominguez were similarly ridiculed. Jourdain's proved himself a definite hotshoe, and I've recently starting having doubts about Dominguez's wanker status, as well. Jourdain's in his eighth season in CART, and lots of folks (myself included) were ready to throw him under the bus for at least 7 1/2 of those years. In retrospect, that clearly would have been a mistake.

I'm not about to guess what a season teamed with a Vasser or Moreno could do for Lavin. I'm also through with labelling drivers as wankers. Jourdain taught me that lesson.

Ankf00
06-26-03, 07:10 PM
that's what feeder series are for, learning... it's not like Lavin showed anything in Lights either.

Sean O'Gorman
06-26-03, 07:18 PM
Dominguez at least won in Indy Lights. Lavin has done nothing of significance.

datachicane
06-26-03, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by SOG35
Dominguez at least won in Indy Lights. Lavin has done nothing of significance.

Neither had Jourdain, unless you include winning a Delvac Cup semi-truck race. One season with a decent team and a veteran teammate made all of the difference.

Like I said, I'm not claiming Lavin is the next Senna, or even the next Christian Fittipaldi. I am saying that, as fans, our track record for spotting talent is abysmal. Six months ago who here wouldn't have gladly traded Jourdain for Papis, Herta, Blundell, or Moreno? Didn't we all whine about Jourdain 'buying' the Rahal ride? Which of those drivers could have pulled off the drive we saw at Monterey? Anybody still want that trade?

I'm not saying Lavin's good.
I'm not saying Lavin's bad.
I am saying I'll decide after he hangs it up. That way nobody has to make an a$$ of themselves.

JoeBob
06-26-03, 08:15 PM
The thing about Jourdain was that when he entered CART, he was 19, and had pretty much no experience in cars. Lavin has been in Lights/Atlantics for 7 years, and has reached the podium exactly twice, and has never finished above 7th in the championship. (And Lights/Atlantics grids haven't exactly been deep the last few years.)

Lavin's um... performance is nothing new.

Ankf00
06-26-03, 08:37 PM
jourdain's only 26... he's pretty young, isn't bourdais 24?