PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Bahrain GP - RACE

Hard Driver
04-22-12, 09:28 PM
I think this tire "degregation" racing is very contrived. The announcers were going on and on about how great the race was. Seems to me that the reason why there are so many winners and so forth is that it is almost a tire wear lottery.

I guess there is driver skill in conserving tires and pit strategy on when to change to a new set, whether that is 7 laps or 8 laps. But overall, I think racing on tires where the track is littered with crude after a few laps and they drop off a cliff after a dozen laps is not the pinnicle of racing.

So congratulations to Sebastian.

Looks like Nico Rosberg has been hanging out with Michael Schumacher too much and learned the chop em off the track move.

And McLaren needs to figure out how to make a pit stop.

But the "new" tire limited formula is a bit too much. By the end of the race, I felt like if I heard the word "tire" one more time, I was going to bash my head into the floor.

devilmaster
04-22-12, 11:20 PM
sums my thoughts up pretty nicely....

Andrew Longman
04-22-12, 11:41 PM
What I like least about it is the supply given to the team for the weekend is too small.

A strategy some teams are using is to simply not go out run practices or qualifying laps.

To the fans spending a ton of money to see this "pinnacle", they deserve a full weekend of on track activity. But I guess that's the trend these days. Even Nascar doesn't allow Saturday practice at most event to control costs.

cameraman
04-22-12, 11:51 PM
You get rid of pit stops, you get rid of KERS and DRS zones and you put on single spec tire that can go the race distance with no loss of performance and every single race will end in near qualifying order. They will be parades, not races.

Kimi couldn't catch Vettel today because on the same tires, put on at the exact same time, Vettel was faster than Kimi, every single lap from the pit stop to the checkered flag. Kimi had one opportunity to attempt a pass when Vettel made a minor mistake but Kimi admits that he was out of position when the opportunity arose and he couldn't take advantage. And even on that lap he wasn't faster Vettel.

Pilgrims Drop
04-23-12, 11:34 AM
You get rid of pit stops, you get rid of KERS and DRS zones and you put on single spec tire that can go the race distance with no loss of performance and every single race will end in near qualifying order. They will be parades, not races.

Qutoed for truth... want an example go watch races from 2010 again, Bridgestones final season and Webber drove 43 laps on softs at Hungaroring(race distance was 70 laps) and at Monza the only passing happened in the pits(well almost atleast) despite KERS being introduced then. Qualifying and the 1st lap of the race decided where you ended up...

Contrieved racing... maybe but it's not in the same ballpark as the ridiculous DRS wing...

Until somebody at FIA grows a brain and makes the cars all pretty again and lowers the aerogrip significantly I'd say it's the best solution...