PDA

View Full Version : Potluck dinner dishes

Napoleon
04-12-12, 01:54 PM
OK, I have a pot luck dinner I am going to which is part of an activity so you need to bring something cold, or something you can cook or warm in a crockpot over, say, 4 hours, or grill. During that 4 hours you will not be able to attend to the dish.

I have never seen this done before but has anyone cooked hot dogs in a crockpot before without anything else, other then some water, if at all?

Methanolandbrats
04-12-12, 02:08 PM
Grill a bunch of different sausages. Toss in the crock pot with water and some chopped onions. They will stay hot and tasty for hours. You are actually supposed to use whatever crummy beer you have around for the bath, but I don't know what kind of party it is.

dando
04-12-12, 02:18 PM
Grill a bunch of different sausages. Toss in the crock pot with water and some chopped onions. They will stay hot and tasty for hours. You are actually supposed to use whatever crummy beer you have around for the bath, but I don't know what kind of party it is.

I hate it when I agree with self-righteous, protector of all things first amendment guy :p, but that was my first thought. Brats/sausage, onions/kraut, water and beer. Nirvana. Johnsonville has quite the variety available @ the local mass market food chain store. Altho, I'm sure there are better sources for locally made pork fat in casings up on the north coast. Falters down here makes killer sausage (literally), and Schmidt's brats and Bahama Mamas are quite good as well.

-Kevin

TravelGal
04-12-12, 02:50 PM
If you want the place to yourself, try something with onions and baked beans. You're welcome. Always glad to help. :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
04-12-12, 03:05 PM
I hate it when I agree with self-righteous, protector of all things first amendment guy :p, but that was my first thought. Brats/sausage, onions/kraut, water and beer. Nirvana. Johnsonville has quite the variety available @ the local mass market food chain store. Altho, I'm sure there are better sources for locally made pork fat in casings up on the north coast. Falters down here makes killer sausage (literally), and Schmidt's brats and Bahama Mamas are quite good as well.

-Kevin

I am going to let the moderators know about your hurtful, mean spirited personal attack. :(

Don Quixote
04-12-12, 03:07 PM
I am going to let the moderators know about your hurtful, mean spirited personal attack. :( I thought you would be offended because he referenced Johnsonville.

TKGAngel
04-12-12, 03:14 PM
I've made a batch of soup the night before and then let it simmer in the crockpot during the day to warm up.

Methanolandbrats
04-12-12, 03:15 PM
I thought you would be offended because he referenced Johnsonville.

:rofl: :rofl:

dando
04-12-12, 04:09 PM
I thought you would be offended because he referenced Johnsonville.

Meh. Cheeseheads...once they've had a few Miller drafts they can't tell the difference. :gomer: ;)

Now I know of some good sausage places in Toledo, and I have relations in Amherst that are of polish decent who know where to find good pierogi, etc., but I'm not sure about Cleveburgh proper. They like to drink that $.10 Stroh's , yo. ;)

-Kevin

trish
04-12-12, 04:17 PM
Can't you do a chili?

dando
04-12-12, 04:39 PM
Can't you do a chili?

Dude (checks calendar), it's sprumminterall here in the north. ;)

-Kevin

Ankf00
04-12-12, 04:40 PM
pork shoulder does well in a crockpot for pulled pork. rubbed, browned, onions, chiles, sauce... but takes much longer than 4 hr

Don Quixote
04-12-12, 04:49 PM
posole

/thread

Methanolandbrats
04-12-12, 05:45 PM
Meh. Cheeseheads...once they've had a few Miller drafts they can't tell the difference. :gomer: ;)

Now I know of some good sausage places in Toledo, and I have relations in Amherst that are of polish decent who know where to find good pierogi, etc., but I'm not sure about Cleveburgh proper. They like to drink that $.10 Stroh's , yo. ;)

-Kevin

If you drink Miller you probably cannot tell the difference between good sausages and mediocre ones since Miller barely qualifies as beer. Klements is vastly superior to Johnsonville and I'm not going to even start on the small label products in Wisconsin. Ohio sausage, f'n bite me you tool :gomer:

rocket
04-12-12, 06:31 PM
Donuts.....you're welcome :D

datachicane
04-12-12, 06:46 PM
posole

/thread

:thumbup:

If I'm in a hurry I'll make peanut butter chipotle soup, nice and fiery, thick muggable stuff.

Once at a work meeting potluck I got a production call just as everyone was setting up. When I got back a few minutes later I was surprised to see how much of the soup was gone, until a coworker gasped loudly "There's something really wrong with the gravy!" as she gulped water as fast as she could. Seems someone had set a big crock of mashed potatoes right next to my thick brownish-looking soup. :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
04-12-12, 11:37 PM
How abouts a recipie shootout between you posole guys. :thumbup: what ya cookin?

Napoleon
04-13-12, 07:48 AM
posole

I had to look that up, I have never had it.

The problem with actual reciepes is we are eating at 12-1 Sunday but I have to be there at 8-830 with whatever I am bringing, if it is something warm, able to sit there unattendent for that time period on low or high in the crockpot. Plus I have somewhere to be Sat night so I will be leaving my house 6ish Sat and will not be back until late. So do I really want to get up early to put something together?

Elmo T
04-13-12, 08:26 AM
Very low tech - but I've had reasonably good success with this recipe for Taco Chicken (http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-chicken-taco-meat-4957).

I've tweaked it a few times by making my own spice mixes, adding salsa, etc.

When completed, you will still need to shred the chicken, but it should actually just fall apart easily with a couple forks. I drain off the liquid first, then add it back as necessary to flavor the shredded chicken.

Don Quixote
04-13-12, 10:29 AM
How abouts a recipie shootout between you posole guys. :thumbup: what ya cookin?

I will dig up my recipe and post it soon. Mine is pretty simple. I bet Ank's recipe has 300 ingredients and 1000 steps.

Napoleon
04-16-12, 09:20 AM
By the way I did try cooking the hot dogs in a crock pot and it worked great.

Napoleon
04-16-12, 09:20 AM
Very low tech - but I've had reasonably good success with this recipe for Taco Chicken (http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-chicken-taco-meat-4957).

That looks good, I am going to try it.