PDA

View Full Version : Another good race tomorrow morning

cameraman
04-07-12, 08:11 PM
The 109th running of the Paris-Roubaix race is on tomorrow, 257 km containing 27 cobblestone sections with a total length of 51.5 km. The race is also known as the Hell of the North.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3f/Route_pavée_crt_2002.jpg/800px-Route_pavée_crt_2002.jpg

It will be shown live, or at least the last couple of hours will, on NBC Sports Network (ex-VERSUS) at 9Am eastern.

The big question is will Tom Boonen (in blue) make it two races in a row as he won the Tour of Flanders last weekend.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/22/Boonen_%26_Pozzato.jpg/450px-Boonen_%26_Pozzato.jpg

Methanolandbrats
04-07-12, 09:45 PM
How do they ride on that crap? It makes my nuts and wrists hurt just looking at that foto. Do they have special mushy tires?

Tifosi24
04-07-12, 11:30 PM
How do they ride on that crap? It makes my nuts and wrists hurt just looking at that foto. Do they have special mushy tires?

I did some quick looking and, at least for George Hincapie, he runs a slightly wider tire. He also said in an an interview that he runs tire pressures between 5.5 and 6.5 bar (neighborhood of 60-80 psi for us 'Muricans), which is really low for competitive cycling. For reference, I am a road cycling novice and low mileage guy, and I always ride at around 8 bar.

Napoleon
04-08-12, 06:18 AM
neighborhood of 60-80 psi for us 'Muricans

That is about what my newer hybrid runs. My older hybrid is 100psi. Aren't road bikes at about 150?

TravelGal
04-08-12, 11:43 AM
Frazz (one of my favorite comics strips) on 4/7/12

Coach Hacker: Who's going to win the Parsely-Rootbeer tomorrow?
Frazz: Paris-Roubaix.

Coach Hacker: My money is on Flea Pea Goobaire.

Or Flaming Chance-of-Malaria

Frazz to Caufield (precocious student): You are having WAY too much fun coaching Coach Hacker
Caufield: Don't tell me you're not enjoying it too.

cameraman
04-08-12, 12:38 PM
My road bike tires run 110 psi/ 7.5 bar.

And Boonen just ran away with the race:eek:

Indy
04-08-12, 01:18 PM
55 PSI. :gomer:

opinionated ow
04-08-12, 06:17 PM
I run 120-125psi in the dry and about 95psi in the wet.

Add to Flanders & Roubaix the following victories this year:
-Ghent Wevelgem
-Grand Prix E3 Harelbeke
-Paris-Nice Stage 2
-Tour of Qatar overall and two stages
-Tour de San Luis Stage 7

Not even Cavendish can talk of a season like that...

nrc
04-08-12, 08:39 PM
When I pinch it, it should give a little, but not a lot. How many bars is that?

Wait, is this about bicycle tires or something else? Oh well, same, same.

:gomer:

cameraman
04-10-12, 06:39 PM
Bicycle racing puts the F1 tire wars to shame. Especially this race where there are custom built (by competitors!) tires branded with tire sponsors names, etc.

Ag2r ran prototype Michelin tubulars psi f/r was 65/71
Cofidis ran Vittoria Corsa CX at 72.5/80
Europcar ran Hutchinson-labeled FMB (or Dugast) at 72.5/80
FDJ ran Hutchinson-labeled FMB at 72.5/80
Garmin ran “French handmade provided by Mavic” built by FMB at 62.5/72
GreenEdge ran Continental Competition at 76.9/82.7
Katusha ran Mavic SSC-labeled Challenge Parigi-Roubaix at "less than 87 psi"
Lampre ran Vittoria Pave at 80/87
Liquigas ran secret tires at secret pressures
Lotto ran Continental Competitions at 67 to 72/70 to 80 depending on the rider
Movistar ran Continental Competition at 85/87
Omega-Pharma-QS ran FMB cotton casing with Boonen using 59.5/62.4
Radioshack-NT ran FMB Paris Roubaix at 80/87
Saur-Sojasun ran Panaracer-labeled Veloflexs at 72/80
Saxo Bank ran Specialized-labeled FMB Paris Roubaix cotton casing at secret pressures
Sky ran FMB Paris Roubaix at 67.4/74.0

Tifosi24
04-12-12, 10:27 AM
Something just popped into my mind yesterday regarding Team Sky. Since they have Cav and Wiggins on their team, how are they going to devote resources to the Grand Tours (in particular France). You don't normally see teams chasing sprint victories that also have a solid GC contender. Cav might be good enough to get it done with minimal support, but you won't want too many leadout guys are you will hurt your chances in the mountains. I did read recently that Sky signed Danny Pate and given the size of his motor (dude was cranking 300 watts during some stages last year), they might be able to abuse him on flats and in the mountains.

cameraman
04-12-12, 01:13 PM
What is up with Omega Pharma-QuickStep? First Levi Leipheimer and now Tony Martin. Hit was hit by a car on a training ride and is scheduled for surgery next week to set his broken jaw & cheekbone(s).:shakehead

Tifosi24
05-28-12, 08:04 PM
Figured I wouldn't start a new thread when an older one was available. No one brought up the Giro, probably since it isn't on tv in the states, but it was good to see Ryder Hesjedal come through with the win. Certainly a big win for Canadian cycling. I was impressed with his performance in the 2010 Tour de France, so I have been of the opinion that he could challenge for a Grand Tour podium. More proof that starting in mountain bikes won't prevent you from being successful on the road.

Tour of California was exciting last weekend. Gesink's win on the climb up Mount Baldy was epic, if that had happened in the Tour, it would have been a performance we would be talking about 30 years from now. Also, Peter Sagan's sprinting looked second to know, Cavendish will need to bring his A-game to the Tour. Hopefully Ferrari (the sprinter not the team) won't take out half the field and almost kill people during the Tour de France.

TrueBrit
06-01-12, 01:03 PM
Figured I wouldn't start a new thread when an older one was available. No one brought up the Giro, probably since it isn't on tv in the states, but it was good to see Ryder Hesjedal come through with the win. Certainly a big win for Canadian cycling. I was impressed with his performance in the 2010 Tour de France, so I have been of the opinion that he could challenge for a Grand Tour podium. More proof that starting in mountain bikes won't prevent you from being successful on the road.

Tour of California was exciting last weekend. Gesink's win on the climb up Mount Baldy was epic, if that had happened in the Tour, it would have been a performance we would be talking about 30 years from now. Also, Peter Sagan's sprinting looked second to know, Cavendish will need to bring his A-game to the Tour. Hopefully Ferrari (the sprinter not the team) won't take out half the field and almost kill people during the Tour de France.

I was well please to see Ryder win the Giro, that was a really good performance, and the first time that I have paid any real attention to it. I think you could be right, if he stays healthy between here and the TDF he should be considered a GC contender.

Sagan's performances on the first four days of the ToC were amazing...

Hopefully this adds up to an awesome TdF!!