PDA

View Full Version : Tracy and Jourdain

nrc
06-23-03, 12:18 AM
Even though I'm a Team Rahal fan I've got to say that Jourdain was mostly to blame for his contact today. Tracy gave him plenty of room going into the festival curves but Jourdain chopped down on Tracy well before he was clear. It's a shame because he would have had the inside going into the next turn and probably would have held the position if he had just allowed some room.

RaceGrrl
06-23-03, 12:21 AM
A successful pass there would have been payback for PT chopping him in the pits. Good idea, poorly executed.

RaceChic
06-23-03, 08:09 AM
I think there is a very fine line between making it out of the pits first and cheating. When you are in the last pit box at pit out, I'm sure you have to really rev it to get out and get going straight out of the pits. I'm sure in those heavy machines without traction control it can't be too easy. :)

RaceGrrl
06-23-03, 09:06 AM
Yes, but the rule states that you cannot impede another driver. PT clearly impeded Jourdain. Jourdain had to lift and/or brake, and that is where Tracy earned the penalty.

JoeBob
06-23-03, 11:02 AM
PT's car is equipped with a steering wheel. Between that and his right foot, he could have kept his car in the right lane until he was up to speed, just like everybody else did.

The pit lane is a crowded place. Moves like PT's don't just ruin the competition, they put the crews in danger. CART did the right thing to penalize him for it. (And, I thought the penalty was appropriate.)

Here's a question: How would they have penalized him had he done that on his final pit stop?

RaceChic
06-23-03, 11:16 AM
Fair enough. I've just seen people pull out of the pits like that before and nothing was ever done about it. The situation has helped bring another rule to light for me. I've only ever been good at learning and remembering stuff when I can apply it to a specific example/scenario. I have a great deal of respect for people here who can recall many facts and specific race history. I've never been very good at that. :)

Hardpoint
06-23-03, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by JoeBob

Here's a question: How would they have penalized him had he done that on his final pit stop?

My guess would be a pitlane drive-through.