PDA

View Full Version : IndyCar not sure new car will break 220mph at Indy

Rogue Leader
04-03-12, 01:28 PM
They are testing this week:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120402/INDYCAR/120409972?utm_source=DailyDrive20120403&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=missedarticle8&utm_content=20120402-IndyCar_officials_set_speed_goal_for_Dallara_test_ at_Indianapolis_Motor_Speedway&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

Interested to know what this means.....

If teams can't go 220 mph, Phillips said he will move toward the next step in the process. He did not say what that would be.

EDwardo
04-03-12, 01:31 PM
http://courseweb.stthomas.edu/law/images/AcmeRo3.jpg

datachicane
04-03-12, 01:31 PM

Indycar goes metric.

New Indycar breaks 330 kph barrier!

:tony:

cameraman
04-03-12, 01:56 PM
Speedway rear bumpers. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the new world.

Chief
04-03-12, 03:05 PM

Hehehehe....what do you think it means?

Here's my guess: The car is really a piece of crap and the road course trials of the past two weeks can't predict the unpredictability of the POS car on the ovals....which had immeasurable problems with balance and speed in earlier tests at the speedway and other ovals. Drop some lead ballast in and glue on some more wings-n-things and this baby is ready for your consumption.

In other words, they built a hideous oval crossover car that doesn't really like ovals. I believe this was one of the 10 commandments handed down by the ICONIC committee of Speedway car design....:rofl:

Ziggy
04-03-12, 03:28 PM
about as ridgid as a cooked spaghetti noodle with tons 'O drag :tony::yuck:

what ever happend to that Gil de Ferran guy?

Racing Truth
04-03-12, 03:34 PM
They are testing this week:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120402/INDYCAR/120409972?utm_source=DailyDrive20120403&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=missedarticle8&utm_content=20120402-IndyCar_officials_set_speed_goal_for_Dallara_test_ at_Indianapolis_Motor_Speedway&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

Not sure there's anything they COULD do at this point. I'd say turn up the boost, but Marshall Pruett says not for this yr. Phillips might have ideas, but implementing them by May would seem... dicey.

Chief
04-03-12, 03:44 PM
What's it matter, anyway? They could race baby buggies on animal carpet in the hot May sun and the ol' 500 wouldn't know the difference.

I thought everything was all honkey-dorey with the new car after the alleged triumphs of the past two weeks. You mean the IRL isn't perfect, I thought you told me the car was sorted and a premium race machine? :p

Racing Truth
04-03-12, 03:45 PM
BTW: I know I'm now likely thought of as a lemming :gomer: by many around here, but I actually like the speedway rear bumper package. Maybe it's just b/c the regular bumbers suck, but there you have it.

Racing Truth
04-03-12, 03:48 PM
What's it matter, anyway? They could race baby buggies on animal carpet in the hot May sun and the ol' 500 wouldn't know the difference.

I thought everything was all honkey-dorey with the new car after the alleged triumphs of the past two weeks. You mean the IRL isn't perfect, I thought you told me the car was sorted and a premium race machine? :p

I did? Where did I say that, exactly?

FWIW: I think they'll clear 220 this week. Not by much, but they'll do it.

Rogue Leader
04-03-12, 04:02 PM
Hehehehe....what do you think it means?

Here's my guess: The car is really a piece of crap and the road course trials of the past two weeks can't predict the unpredictability of the POS car on the ovals....which had immeasurable problems with balance and speed in earlier tests at the speedway and other ovals. Drop some lead ballast in and glue on some more wings-n-things and this baby is ready for your consumption.

In other words, they built a hideous oval crossover car that doesn't really like ovals. I believe this was one of the 10 commandments handed down by the ICONIC committee of Speedway car design....:rofl:

I don't know, I mean the car hasn't run over 220 yet, its getting awfully close to May to do anything drastic, they already said they won't turn up the boost (and if they did I bet every Lotus would become a hand grenade), so WTF could they do to get the car over 220 without it being a death trap.

Thats what I'm interested to see....

Chief
04-03-12, 04:24 PM
It's prolly a death trap at under 220 regardless, it looks rigid enough to transfer more of that energy direct to the pilotos. they did crash testing, didn't they? ;)

Rogue Leader
04-03-12, 04:40 PM
It's prolly a death trap at under 220 regardless, it looks rigid enough to transfer more of that energy direct to the pilotos. they did crash testing, didn't they? ;)

The crash testing is probably the only part they did right.

High Sided
04-03-12, 04:49 PM
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/7816/2012i500aero.jpg

Chief
04-03-12, 06:19 PM
I read elsewhere the top notch Lotus teams have no engines for the Wednesday test. How come? Rumor is they are saving them for the important races...Long Beach and Brazil.

That must be the prized new rear bumpers.....

Elmo T
04-03-12, 08:45 PM
There will be lip service to lowered speeds. We meant to do that, yeah that's the ticket. All part of the plan. :rolleyes:

They are trying to cure symptoms - not the disease. Same could be said for Indycar as a whole.

mapguy
04-03-12, 09:01 PM
never mind

EDwardo
04-03-12, 09:43 PM
220 is just a number.:rofl:

Andrew Longman
04-03-12, 10:49 PM
Fwiw the faster they go the less reliable these engines will be. That might be interesting but not exactly a step forward that will fascinate fans

Ruok
04-04-12, 10:25 AM
aren't green tires supposed to be bad luck?

Methanolandbrats
04-04-12, 10:51 AM
Fwiw the faster they go the less reliable these engines will be. That might be interesting but not exactly a step forward that will fascinate fans

It would be a shame if the series stumbled and missed a step forward. :D

BTW, the Mindy test is open to the public, so sit down low at the exit of a turn with protective goggles and a trashbag for the souvenirs :thumbup:

NismoZ
04-04-12, 12:04 PM
What a great thread. My first thought was Mappy's "Never mind" so I thought of but did not voice Edwardo's "220 is just a number", had a hearty laugh over Andrew's "step forward" (seriously, when WAS the last step forward?!...you know, since attenuators!:rofl:) and INstantly was struck by the green tires but said nothing. Good call, Ruok! Couldn't stay out any longer because funny beats angry and mean any day. Way to go guys! Still think I'm headed up to The Mile to see these things ( Sat. only) because it's THERE:)) and I can get out of mowing the lawn! Maybe I'll hunt up the general location of my old Sec.AA row 27 seat in the old grandstand and recall the good ol' days?

Methanolandbrats
04-04-12, 01:40 PM
What a great thread. My first thought was Mappy's "Never mind" so I thought of but did not voice Edwardo's "220 is just a number", had a hearty laugh over Andrew's "step forward" (seriously, when WAS the last step forward?!...you know, since attenuators!:rofl:) and INstantly was struck by the green tires but said nothing. Good call, Ruok! Couldn't stay out any longer because funny beats angry and mean any day. Way to go guys! Still think I'm headed up to The Mile to see these things ( Sat. only) because it's THERE:)) and I can get out of mowing the lawn! Maybe I'll hunt up the general location of my old Sec.AA row 27 seat in the old grandstand and recall the good ol' days?

I might to to the mile too for practice. Anyone know if the Silver Crown cars are coming back? If I go I will be in the infield at the exit of two. Lotsof action there. I always set up my smudge cam on a tripod aimed at the spot where Chrissy punched a hole in the wall and knocked himself stupid.

NismoZ
04-04-12, 05:20 PM
Aww, crap...it's a Fri-Sat only thing and no mention of anything extra other than Indy Lights. At least Fri. is free for practice/qualifications...I suppose the price is about right. Actually they may have to pay ME to go now.:rolleyes: You know what? I think I'm back to "never mind." Infield AIN'T free even on Friday! KMA

Racing Truth
04-04-12, 05:37 PM
Still no 220, though it sounds like no one was trying for top speed. Marco tops at 218.

Kanaan quoted as saying it's 90% than the Fall test. Spin, or truth?

RTKar
04-04-12, 06:38 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/06/Edsel_1958_grille.jpg

Racing Truth
04-04-12, 08:29 PM
So, it sounds like that, by itself, the instability issue is basically gone. In turbulence, though...

Methanolandbrats
04-04-12, 10:45 PM
^^^ over under on 200 laps of yellow to clean up carbon shards and the puke from all the lumps that blow. We needs a pool. :D

High Sided
04-05-12, 01:02 AM
have at it!!!

JRpAhcMTNzc

manic mechanic
04-05-12, 01:20 AM
Coyne should take Wilson's smoldering lump to Long Beach and let someone with a big yacht have a new anchor!

So far, Ropin' Randy's formulary has solved 2 of the problems with EARL v2k:
1. Ugly (not solved)
2. Slow (not solved)
3. Loud (little turbos sound better, but to solve #2, they will be cannon crackers)
4. Odor (the SERIES still stinks to high heaven, but sugar cane ethanol exhaust isn't too bad)

did I miss anything? :p

Ask Gil if 218 feels different than 242.. Better yet, ask Kanose or Dashley if they remember what 237+ felt like in a Reynard and have them consider the current lumps' penchant for instability over 220 and look them in the eyes... ;)

the problem still exists.. WE know the difference.

manic

Gangrel
04-05-12, 08:30 AM
It would be a shame if the series stumbled and missed a step forward. :D

BTW, the Mindy test is open to the public, so sit down low at the exit of a turn with protective goggles and a trashbag for the souvenirs :thumbup:

Can you fit an entire car in a trash bag after it lands in your lap?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

High Sided
04-05-12, 10:24 AM
ize is going to papa pole day! that'll make me a lemming in these parts i guess, oh well all i know is i need to get my ass to a race track and indy is under 3hrs and still the best deal to waste a day on some well groomed grass. haven't heard a turbo since cart bailed on gateway. i will be sporting my cart/fedex logo ball cap and my cart/fedex logo t-shirt with paintergeeks badass purple/orange display car on the back. dug these things up in spring cleaning last year.

opinionated ow
04-05-12, 10:39 AM
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/539929_10150644759950794_55772780793_9566003_45616 1551_n.jpg

All I could do was laugh and laugh and laugh

Methanolandbrats
04-05-12, 10:59 AM
ize is going to papa pole day! that'll make me a lemming in these parts i guess, oh well all i know is i need to get my ass to a race track and indy is under 3hrs and still the best deal to waste a day on some well groomed grass. haven't heard a turbo since cart bailed on gateway. i will be sporting my cart/fedex logo ball cap and my cart/fedex logo t-shirt with paintergeeks badass purple/orange display car on the back. dug these things up in spring cleaning last year.

I am too far away or I would go too. I would wear an orange Champcar hat and my CART "feel the speed" t-shirt :laugh:

Racing Truth
04-05-12, 02:18 PM
have at it!!!

JRpAhcMTNzc

OT: But any computer folks have any idea why embedded vids., like this, aren't showing up for me?

NismoZ
04-05-12, 02:33 PM
Obviously they don't LOOK better...but I have to say they certainly SOUND better! I think I just heard A STEP FORWARD!!?

Racing Truth
04-05-12, 02:38 PM
Obviously they don't LOOK better...but I have to say they certainly SOUND better! LOOK:eek:a STEP FORWARD!!

Matter of opinion, but I kinda like this speedway package. Be better w/o the silly side pods and fauxbox, but better than the regular package.

High Sided
04-05-12, 03:02 PM
OT: But any computer folks have any idea why embedded vids., like this, aren't showing up for me?

no idea unless this has something to do with it?

This video is unlisted. Only those with the link can see it.
here is the direct link....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRpAhcMTNzc

test day part 2...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNSZVYTScaU

tNSZVYTScaU

nissan gtp
04-06-12, 02:39 PM
218 is the new 242

Make a good shirt.

Chief
04-06-12, 03:05 PM
hAY Racing Truth, what the heck does this mean?....

"We killed somebody running 225 so maybe we need to start at 215 and figure things out.’’

Downplaying the "Test" (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-andretti-hits-2186-at-indy-test/)

gerhard911
04-06-12, 10:45 PM
:crickets:

Indy
04-07-12, 12:53 AM
I think they should start on bicycles and figure it out.

Gnam
04-07-12, 02:59 AM
So when Wilson and Helio say the new car feels just like the old car, does that mean it's still foot-to-the-floor, throttle wide open all the way around the track?

Rogue Leader
04-07-12, 08:25 AM
So when Wilson and Helio say the new car feels just like the old car, does that mean it's still foot-to-the-floor, throttle wide open all the way around the track?

If they are only going 215 I would say thats a definite yes

SurfaceUnits
04-07-12, 03:36 PM
don't they know you can wiggle in yer seat and make it go faster

Methanolandbrats
04-07-12, 04:17 PM

That's what whiney little ****er version three said, he was flat in one right away without traffic. Different story in traffic, all the front grip goes away :laugh: Ugly, slow, underpowered, ill-handling POS.

Chief
04-07-12, 10:57 PM
hAY Racing Truth, what the heck does this mean?..."We killed somebody running 225 so maybe we need to start at 215 and figure things out.’’[/URL]

Racing Truth? Can you explain this to me?:laugh:

gerhard911
04-08-12, 10:12 PM
:nothingbutcrickets:

Want me to eggsplain it to ya Chief :laugh:

Wheel-Nut
04-09-12, 10:13 AM
The Cup drivers are hitting 215 at Michigan during tire tests.

http://www.nascar.com/news/120404/michigan-resurfacing-speeds-up-track/index.html

Elmo T
04-09-12, 11:12 AM
Speeds, car counts, attendance, TV ratings, 33, centennials - these are all just numbers.

All this focus on numbers is unproductive to the cause. ;)

Methanolandbrats
04-09-12, 12:29 PM

http://www.nascar.com/news/120404/michigan-resurfacing-speeds-up-track/index.html

215, 218, that makes sense since both cabs and Mindycars are closed wheel vehicles. :gomer:

Racing Truth
04-09-12, 08:02 PM
Racing Truth? Can you explain this to me?:laugh:

Sure, Kanaan's spinning. I agree w/ most or all here that "pack racing" was the ultimate culprit. Just spinning the (so far) slower speeds. Great, you got me.:gomer:

Racing Truth
04-09-12, 08:06 PM

To be clear, those were top-end straightaway speeds, not full lap. Still impressive, though

Chief
04-09-12, 08:11 PM
Sure, Kanaan's spinning. I agree w/ most or all here that "pack racing" was the ultimate culprit. Just spinning the (so far) slower speeds. Great, you got me.:gomer:

Naah, he's admitting the POS Indycar series, leadership et al, killed Wheldon. The new car is garbage and Tony isn't spinning that.

Racing Truth
04-09-12, 08:21 PM

For now, yes, and the big undertray/wing is giving them too much df at not enough hp.

That said, the test used engines and some parts that will be run at LB this week, so mo one was pushing it. Which makes the timing of the test questionable to pointless, but oh well.

Racing Truth
04-09-12, 08:25 PM
Naah, he's admitting the POS Indycar series, leadership et al, killed Wheldon. The new car is garbage and Tony isn't spinning that.

He did? Think you're reading wayyyy too much into it. B/c, if you're right, then taken literally, Kanaan's saying we can't run anywhere over 215-20.

gerhard911
04-09-12, 09:20 PM
Which makes the IRL/IICS/whatevea they wanna be called this week questionable to pointless, but oh well.

fixxered

Wheel-Nut
04-10-12, 10:08 AM
To be clear, those were top-end straightaway speeds, not full lap. Still impressive, though

Yes, I know.

A 3400# car; the driver has to lift going into the corner and they are still hitting 215 before the next corner.

Best drivers in the world! :gomer:

Chief
04-10-12, 01:27 PM
He did? Think you're reading wayyyy too much into it. B/c, if you're right, then taken literally, Kanaan's saying we can't run anywhere over 215-20.

Just because you only read Hulman and Co. PR as the verbatim truth doesn't mean Tony and company aren't telling it straight. They know the BS car and series killed Dan. They unfortunately went along with it and are holding the series accountable today. The car sucks, one doesn't have to read between the lines to get that input. YM will always vary with you though.

trauma1
04-15-12, 09:42 PM
The crash testing is probably the only part they did right.

bet it isn't up to FIA standards

Methanolandbrats
04-15-12, 09:57 PM
Ain't it grate what racing has turned into. 20 years ago we would be talking about GTP, CART and other awesome racing. Now it's down to comparing a 3500 lb fake lump of **** with decal headlights to a hideous, underpowered, semi-openwheel lump of ****. Which one sucks less? :yuck:

gerhard911
04-15-12, 10:29 PM
Which one sucks less? :yuck:

Was that a rhetorical question? Lord knows I can't answer it...

Indy
04-16-12, 08:57 AM
Neither sucks less. They both suck more.