PDA

View Full Version : Round 2 - Barber Motorsport Park

Wheel-Nut
03-31-12, 10:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lC_OiBeoouM

Wheel-Nut
03-31-12, 10:29 AM
Done blowed up at 5:41 . . .and on fire at 6:32 . . .

Wheel-Nut
03-31-12, 10:33 AM
Practice 2 in the rain . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz_62RnHLUo&feature=relmfu

dando
03-31-12, 11:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lC_OiBeoouM

Good to see the Sonny's BBQ living up to its sponsor. :laugh:

-Kevin

Rogue Leader
03-31-12, 11:49 AM

-Kevin

I was about to say someone should bust out a tray of ribs over that thing

cameraman
03-31-12, 02:24 PM
Bleah. They look horribly slow, along with just plain horrible.

opinionated ow
03-31-12, 07:04 PM
Bleah. They look horribly slow, along with just plain horrible.

Quoted for emphasis

Hard Driver
03-31-12, 07:13 PM

-Kevin

I would give a thumbs up if the board had them, so I am just re-posting.

NismoZ
03-31-12, 07:40 PM
Looked slow!? The SuperCrapCars are FOURTEEN seconds FASTER than the CrapoTypes. That's FAST, man! Power could pass Pruett about every 6 laps! Suck the 01 right off his door! :gomer:

Easy
03-31-12, 08:10 PM
Race cars look slow on TV.

Chief
03-31-12, 08:40 PM
That's the dullest practice/qualifying whatever clips I've ever seen. Them cars really blow. Hideous looks....was there any action to talk about? Anybody but a Penske or Ganassi got a chance ta win? Should be a grate season, Zzzzzzzzzz.:\

Insomniac
04-01-12, 10:50 AM
I'll say I'm beyond the IRL-CART split. I've put it behind me and there is no real reason for me to hate IndyCar over the split.

But, because I hated the IRL I have not been interested at all. Now they need to bring me back. I have no attachment to any drivers since US OWR has been dead to me since Long Beach 2008.

Technology and exciting/competitive racing (I assume the Indy 500 was the catalyst to it all) brought me in and now I know a lot more than I did then. Technology and exciting/competitive racing will be the only thing that brings me back.

Because I know better, those ugly cars that do look slow (remember when OW cars looked faster than NASCAR?) and the NASCAR-ification isn't helping.

I guess we'll see how things look in 2013. (please fix the side pods and rear "bumpers". OWR cars shouldn't look like a Daytona Protoype and IndyCar had a kid.

G.
04-01-12, 01:02 PM
I'll say I'm beyond the IRL-CART split. I've put it behind me and there is no real reason for me to hate IndyCar over the split.

But, because I hated the IRL I have not been interested at all. Now they need to bring me back. I have no attachment to any drivers since US OWR has been dead to me since Long Beach 2008.

Technology and exciting/competitive racing (I assume the Indy 500 was the catalyst to it all) brought me in and now I know a lot more than I did then. Technology and exciting/competitive racing will be the only thing that brings me back.

Because I know better, those ugly cars that do look slow (remember when OW cars looked faster than NASCAR?) and the NASCAR-ification isn't helping.

I guess we'll see how things look in 2013. (please fix the side pods and rear "bumpers". OWR cars shouldn't look like a Daytona Protoype and IndyCar had a kid.
Damn good post.

I don't think I have very much hate left, eggsept the kind that makes you laugh at others' misfortunes. And the New Earl is funny.

We'll see what happens, I suppose.

Racing Truth
04-01-12, 06:50 PM
I'm relieved I listened to those around here and skipped Barber. I only missed an event with tons of passing, a good battle for the win at the end, a tremendous drive by Seabass and NOTHING contrived. But you know, it's not 1993, so I ain't watchin'.#harrumph*

*Kidding, of course. Watched it all.:gomer: I now wait Ziggy to lecture me on how this isn't "real racing," or not like the "glory days," etc.:gomer:

cameraman
04-01-12, 07:19 PM
I watched part of the race. They have managed to put together a series that races quite well using really ugly cars. The race itself was on par with any race that the DP01 ever put on and it was better than any race ever using the old crapwagons. It isn't CART v1995 by any stretch but if you put the cars on a decent road course you do get a decent race.

The rear bumper works too, there were bumps in corners during passes that would have trashed most open wheel cars that had no effect on those ugly things. Not Grand Am bashings but enough contact to break a GP2 car. The only yellow flags I saw were due to engine failures.

But if you're looking for CART 1995, you'll hate every second of it so don't bother.

High Sided
04-01-12, 07:29 PM
enjoyable race to watch and liking the new nbc sports coverage outside if bobs usual blunders "that was will powers last pit of the season" :gomer:

Hard Driver
04-01-12, 07:42 PM
I would call that a decent race on a track that really only has one passing spot. There was certainly a lot of battling throughout the field. And yes there was red vs black tires to assist in passing, but it really seemed to be genuine racing, and not contrived. Passes were earned. Personally, it seems more "pure" than current F1 with the DRS zones.

Biggest issue for me was Bob Jenkins annoucing was boring. It would help if he seemed to care and got excited every now an then. Or better yet, get someone with a voice less annoying overall.

As far as the cars looking slow or being slow, that must be an opinion, because they look plenty quick and their times are too. I agree that the bulbous pods in front of the wheels are ugly. But I would stay the stepped noses in F1 are ugly too.

The bumpers are certainly a change, and so the cars do look quite a bit like overgrown go karts. So be it. I can accept that as the racing seems to not to suffer and might add a bit more aggressiveness because a bump is less likely to take you out. And at the same time, they seem far safer without the risk of cars launching from wheel touches. I am no fan of NASCAR "rubbing is racing", where I am looking for "the big one". But having the cars race and be able to accidentilly bump and keep racing like an ALMS race is not a bad thing.

Overall the race was pretty good, IMO. Was it the same as CART 1995, no. But just standing on it's own, it was decent racing.

Hard Driver
04-01-12, 07:56 PM
OWR cars shouldn't look like a Daytona Protoype and IndyCar had a kid.

If you want to say they look like an ALMS P1 car and Champcar had a kid, I can see that. But I like ALMS and liked Champcar. If this "new" cross breed makes good racing, then that is the way it is, because, it is that way.

High Sided
04-01-12, 08:02 PM
insomniac, at least we are not watching dildos race each other. ;)

Methanolandbrats
04-01-12, 08:09 PM
insomniac, at least we are not watching dildos race each other. ;)

Hang in there, a field of battery powered dildos is not that far off. The more green ******** and roadcar yammering that gets into racing, the closer we are to the end. And I have to throw in a hearty, on-topic **** YOU Jean Todt.

Racing Truth
04-01-12, 08:21 PM
I watched part of the race. They have managed to put together a series that races quite well using really ugly cars. The race itself was on par with any race that the DP01 ever put on and it was better than any race ever using the old crapwagons. It isn't CART v1995 by any stretch but if you put the cars on a decent road course you do get a decent race.

The rear bumper works too, there were bumps in corners during passes that would have trashed most open wheel cars that had no effect on those ugly things. Not Grand Am bashings but enough contact to break a GP2 car. The only yellow flags I saw were due to engine failures.

But if you're looking for CART 1995, you'll hate every second of it so don't bother.

Pretty fair assessment, IMHO. To be clear to all, I'll never call this CART '95. I know it's not that. Still, though, for what it is, pretty good today.

Rex Karz
04-01-12, 08:50 PM
I rearranged my sock drawer today.

stroker
04-01-12, 09:31 PM
BOB JENKINS??? **** that ****.

Rogue Leader
04-02-12, 12:29 AM
I thought the race was great. Nice that they can get through them without 1000 yellow flags like last year.

Also glad to see there are some others here that agree. No its not CART '95, but it isn't bad.

SurfaceUnits
04-02-12, 03:37 AM
Did Danica win? I watched mower Rugby today than IRLcar racing in 16 years. That redcoats vs south africa was the shizzle.

Hard Driver
04-02-12, 07:25 AM
Did Danica win?

Don't know, I didn't watch NASCAR. She is their "famous" driver now. However, her old godaddy car is all of a sudden doing much better. I think it was third on the final restart and got dropped to sixth.

G.
04-02-12, 09:30 AM
So, who WONNED?

I forgot to set my DVR to a channel I don't get.

Wheel-Nut
04-02-12, 10:18 AM
So, who WONNED?

I forgot to set my DVR to a channel I don't get.

Penske - he's 2 for 2 so far.

High Sided
04-02-12, 10:26 AM
will power won, started 9th due to red flag in qualify 2 that left him out of the fast six.

Andrew Longman
04-02-12, 11:00 AM
I flew to SLC. I watched 1999 RA and Cleveland races on the plane.

Wow.

Easy
04-02-12, 08:58 PM
Martin Plourde won, followed by Joel Camathias, Juan Cacares and the Cross Pens' heir who borrowed most heavily against his trust fund.

Actually, not a bad race for underdeveloped Indy cars on a track designed for MotoGP.

grungex
04-02-12, 11:14 PM
Martin Plourde won.

:rofl::rofl:

cameraman
04-03-12, 01:59 PM
What I find shocking is our in house Australian flyboy hasn't said word one about Simona this season.:laugh:

Kiwifan
04-03-12, 02:10 PM
What I find shocking is our in house Australian flyboy hasn't said word one about Simona this season.:laugh:

Maybe the sheep are in town for the wool clip. ;)

JohnHKart
04-10-12, 01:20 PM
Lots of passing in a great track I enjoyed the race. I'm actually looking forward to Friday at Long Beach , the day I usually go. It might rain , though , hope it doesn't .

SurfaceUnits
04-12-12, 11:42 AM
Lots of passing in a great track I enjoyed the race. I'm actually looking forward to Friday at Long Beach , the day I usually go. It might rain , though , hope it doesn't .

Ants do quite a bit of passing and most of the world knows ants. In fact I would bet you there are more people with ant farms than there are IRL fans
And I would bet that a show abourt ants on NatGeo would draw more than 218,000 viewers