cameraman
03-18-12, 04:49 PM
What on earth are you talking about?

Trevor Longman
03-18-12, 05:00 PM
The Food City 500 at Bristol. Apparently the crowd is pretty sparse

dando
03-18-12, 06:54 PM
Bristol has been advertising tix during the first few races this season, and last summer for the summer race. The days of wait lists and leaving them to kinfolk in wills are long gone. Plus, it has rained on and off in the area the past couple of days. We drove down 77 in the area of the Bristol interchange and traffic was not nearly as bad as it has been in the past.

-Kevin

TKGAngel
03-18-12, 08:51 PM
From what has been written on Twitter, BMS holds 160k. Today's attendance was an "estimated" 102k. The drop in numbers has been blamed on everything from high gas prices to high hotel prices in the Bristol area to the repaving of the track. It's probably a combination of all three, IMO.

I also have to wonder how much the NCAA tourney hurt attendance this weekend? There's two tourney sites within a 3-4 hour drive of the track.

Methanolandbrats
03-18-12, 09:30 PM
From what has been written on Twitter, BMS holds 160k. Today's attendance was an "estimated" 102k. The drop in numbers has been blamed on everything from high gas prices to high hotel prices in the Bristol area to the repaving of the track. It's probably a combination of all three, IMO.

I also have to wonder how much the NCAA tourney hurt attendance this weekend? There's two tourney sites within a 3-4 hour drive of the track.

cab fans are not smart enough to follow basketball. They don't cross shop.

SurfaceUnits
03-18-12, 11:21 PM
it's that Australian and those indycar street race loosers fault

Rogue Leader
03-18-12, 11:32 PM

Bristol has not been the same since it was repaved... it used to be special... now its just another NASCAR race.

Napoleon
03-19-12, 06:11 AM
Bristol has not been the same since it was repaved....

Why? I don't follow the cabs.

High Sided
03-19-12, 09:13 AM
because with 2 lanes they race each other instead of wreck each other all day or night.

Rogue Leader
03-19-12, 09:36 AM
Why? I don't follow the cabs.

because with 2 lanes they race each other instead of wreck each other all day or night.

Used to be just short of a destruction derby sometimes, but since it was a low speed track it was just some good rough racing like the old days. Now its just more of the same.

Indy
03-19-12, 01:27 PM
So, let me see if I understand this. The racing there used to suck but it required wreckin' to get the job done, so that was why it was so popular? Now it all makes sense. :laugh:

Rogue Leader
03-19-12, 06:23 PM
So, let me see if I understand this. The racing there used to suck but it required wreckin' to get the job done, so that was why it was so popular? Now it all makes sense. :laugh:

yeah basically lol

High Sided
03-20-12, 09:00 AM
looks like wrecking may be back by august...

-- Bristol Motor Speedway owner Bruton Smith is considering about $1 million worth of changes to return his Tennessee track to the way it was before a 2007 reconfiguration.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CAR_NASCAR_BRISTOL_BRUTON_SMITH?SITE=GENERIC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-03-19-16-02-07

Andrew Longman
03-20-12, 12:22 PM
looks like wrecking may be back by august...now that is lol

Methanolandbrats
03-20-12, 12:55 PM
looks like wrecking may be back by august...

-- Bristol Motor Speedway owner Bruton Smith is considering about $1 million worth of changes to return his Tennessee track to the way it was before a 2007 reconfiguration.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CAR_NASCAR_BRISTOL_BRUTON_SMITH?SITE=GENERIC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-03-19-16-02-07

Who is gonna pay for that? The money won't come from ticket sales :rofl:

High Sided
03-21-12, 02:05 PM
Bruton banking on future ticket sales....

"You have a good contractor, your plans, your blueprints and a million dollars, and you just go ahead and do it. I've got engineers working on this as we speak. I have not taken this up with NASCAR yet, but that's what we will do," Smith said. "Once we're ready, we'll do it. There will be a press announcement of exactly what we're doing. I want it to be exactly correct -- the way these fans perceive it -- and I want to see 165,000 fans scrambling for tickets the way they have in the past."
http://motorsports-soapbox.blogspot.com/2012/03/smith-moving-ahead-with-plans-to-remake.html

Methanolandbrats
03-21-12, 02:28 PM
^^^ banking on the past, that always pays huge dividends :rofl:

DagoFast
03-22-12, 06:32 PM
Is he gonna put Darlington back to original too? :shakehead

JohnHKart
03-22-12, 09:52 PM
According to Jayski, it's a done deal and will be finished for the August night race.

UPDATE: Speedway Motorsports, Inc., CEO Bruton Smith said yesterday that he is moving ahead with plans to return Bristol Motor Speedway to its previous configuration. Speaking on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio’s The Late Shift with Buddy Baker and Jim Noble, Smith said feedback from fans has been overwhelmingly in favor of changing the legendary speedway’s layout. “I’d say it’s about 75% from the race fans that they’d like to see us put it back the way it was five years ago,” he said. Smith said he has already consulted with engineers about making the necessary changes. “It will absolutely still be concrete,” he said, “but we will (redo) the profiling. We have on paper exactly the way the track was before we came in and redid it. We’re going to have all the elevations, the ingress and egress as it was before we completely redid it. We will here again offer race fans (the track) the way it was. It’s not a major change that we did,” insisted Smith. “We took up all the old concrete that was breaking up and causing a lot of problems. We completely redid the speedway, and fans got the idea that it’s not the same. I guess it’s not the same, since they told us that, and the race fan is always right. When the race fans speak, you listen. And that’s what we’re doing now.” The SMI owner said the changes will be made before the Aug. 25 Sprint Cup Series night race. “You have a good contractor, your plans, your blueprints and a million dollars, and you just go ahead and do it. I’ve got engineers working on this as we speak. I have not taken this up with NASCAR yet, but that’s what we will do,” Smith said. “Once we’re ready, we’ll do it. There will be a press announcement of exactly what we’re doing. I want it to be exactly correct -- the way these fans perceive it -- and I want to see 165,000 fans scrambling for tickets the way they have in the past.”(Godfather Motorsports)(3-21-2012)

NismoZ
03-23-12, 11:16 AM
"NASCAR! Racin' Or Wreckin'...Take Your Pick!":gomer:I guess the "true wreck fans" have spoken!:thumdown:

Racing Truth
03-23-12, 08:12 PM
^^^ banking on the past, that always pays huge dividends :rofl:

Sad thing is, IT WILL. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!