PDA

View Full Version : Ron Howard F1 movie

Pages : [1] 2

Dvdb
03-07-12, 07:20 PM
He's been tweeting some pretty cool pics from the set.

https://twitter.com/#!/realronhoward

EDwardo
03-07-12, 08:21 PM
Will New Hollywood Formula 1 Movie Help Get More US Races? Fan’s View
March 6

The movie is called "Rush" and it focuses on the 1976 Formula 1 season and the war between James Hunt and Niki Lauda over the championship. Production is already underway in Europe for a release in 2013.

A key part of the movie is the near-fatal crash Lauda suffered in Germany while racing on the infamous Nurburgring and a lot of the filming is happening on that track. I think the combination of director Ron Howard and screenwriter Peter Morgan will deliver a thrilling depiction of this exciting era in Formula 1 racing.
http://sports.yahoo.com/f1/news?slug=ycn-11040342

Ron Howard makes excellent movies. I bet this one is much better than Sly's "Drivel".

Dvdb
03-07-12, 08:48 PM
If you read through his twitter page, he thanks the owners of the "historic" cars. Certainly gives it more authenticity, and I think the Ron Howard name gives it credibility.

Now, off to watch my new Dvd of "Senna".

Trevor Longman
03-07-12, 08:54 PM
I have REALLY high hopes for this one. Big stars and a big name director, but the big thing is that they're keeping everything extremely accurate. There's a drivers meeting scene with the whole 1976 F1 grid in attendance. Actors of course but very cool none the less. Even the drivers helmets for all the cars are the same as the drivers who actually drove each car. Can't wait for this one!

High Sided
03-07-12, 09:01 PM
Ron Howard makes excellent movies. I bet this one is much better than Sly's "Drivel".cars was better than drivel. :tony:

glad to see it being made. if ron gets the bug maybe he'll pick up the first 500 venture that never made it past some models.

kTkeYt-uIuU

gjc2
03-07-12, 09:10 PM
I once saw an interview of Alan Bean (Apollo 12 astronaut). He was a consultant to the movie “Apollo 13”, he talked about how impressed he was with both Ron Howard’s and Tom Hank’s desire for the movie to be technically accurate in every way.

Dvdb
03-07-12, 09:25 PM
If you read through his twitter page, he thanks the owners of the "historic" cars. Certainly gives it more authenticity, and I think the Ron Howard name gives it credibility.

Now, off to watch my new Dvd of "Senna".

Gnam
03-08-12, 02:34 AM
I'm sure it will be very well done and technically perfect, but it will be interesting to see how Ron Howard gets Americans to watch a movie about foreign formula 1 drivers driving in foreign formula 1 countries when Jimmy Carter was running for President.

Bernie has been trying to solve that problem for 40 years.

Now if Mel Gibson made a movie about NASCAR in the '70s, it would sell like hotcakes. :gomer:

gjc2
03-08-12, 08:27 AM
Now if Mel Gibson made a movie about NASCAR in the '70s, it would sell like hotcakes. :gomer:

How about Adam Sandler and Kevin James in a movie about monster trucks?

Elmo T
03-08-12, 09:25 AM
Ron Howard makes excellent movies. I bet this one is much better than Sly's "Drivel".

No doubt. :thumbup:

That said, there will be technical details missed or omitted for the sake of movie story telling. And the real gearheads will be spouting off about what a great movie, but.....

I saw the same thing with Backdraft. I had to give more than one friend the "lighten up Francis" speech. :rolleyes:

dando
03-08-12, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=Elmo T;305871
I saw the same thing with Backdraft. I had to give more than one friend the "lighten up Francis" speech. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

No doubt. Roxanne was a far more realistic movie about life as a firefighter. :gomer: :runs: ;)

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
03-08-12, 11:45 AM
kTkeYt-uIuUHeh heh. He said Longnecker. :D

Rogue Leader
03-08-12, 02:30 PM
No doubt. :thumbup:

That said, there will be technical details missed or omitted for the sake of movie story telling. And the real gearheads will be spouting off about what a great movie, but.....

I saw the same thing with Backdraft. I had to give more than one friend the "lighten up Francis" speech. :rolleyes:

As a Firefighter we all enjoy Backdraft but laugh at its cliche-ness as well. What is bothersome is that it could have been made WAY more real if they wanted to spend the time to. Ladder 49 is a far better firefighting film, not just for the story but that they took the time to sweat the details and not do things totally out of the realm of what any competent firefighter would do (ie walk into a building coat open, no pack, no tools, standing up). But that said, even Ladder 49 wasn't perfect, but we don't worry about it so much.

The equivalent here was if these guys played destruction derby with their F1 cars, thats Backdraft vs real life. In this film's case I seriously doubt that will happen.

Very excited about it, Chris Hemsworth plays James Hunt, Olivia Wilde as his first wife Suzy, and Daniel Bruhl as Lauda.

KaBoom21
03-11-12, 10:03 AM
Clint Howard as journeyman tirechanger?

chop456
03-12-12, 04:33 AM
^ You're alive! Congratulations. :cheers:

Dvdb
03-12-12, 03:17 PM
"No role for Clint", per Opie on twitter.

Gnam
04-11-12, 04:30 PM
Filming in progress. Action!

GXHDxmpIF3c

NismoZ
04-11-12, 04:51 PM
Led me to check out a bunch of YouTube stuff on that wreck. One mentioned a few of the drivers who helped save him, but not Brett Lunger. He was one of my favorite F-5000 guys back in that day and I thought I read somewhere he played a role in saving Lauda. Anyone know for sure?

indyfan31
04-08-13, 04:34 PM
The "official trailer" appears to be out, although I'm curious as to why it's only available in lo-res

Rush (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yYiZbWyYey0#!)

Rus'L
04-09-13, 12:34 PM
Led me to check out a bunch of YouTube stuff on that wreck. One mentioned a few of the drivers who helped save him, but not Brett Lunger. He was one of my favorite F-5000 guys back in that day and I thought I read somewhere he played a role in saving Lauda. Anyone know for sure?

Back in the day, I read Lunger was the key driver who saved Lauda. I'm shocked he's not mentioned.

Chief
04-09-13, 01:29 PM
In the trailer, the opening shot of the McLaren brings me back like it was yesterday...

I can do without the James Hunts sexual exploits, but it looked from the trailer the character casting appears realistic for both Lauda and Hunt.

The trailer worked in 480P and was very good (sans the Driven-esque crash scene).

I remember in the Hesketh, '74 if memory serves me, he launched end over end at the Glen after ramping the esses chicane, one year after Cevert perished.

SteveH
04-09-13, 01:56 PM
I picked up on the Driven-vibe, also. Hope that is kept to a minimum.

Easy
04-09-13, 02:05 PM
Agreed. The close up crash scenes brought me straight back to Driven. :thumdown:

Just shoot the crash scenes as they would be seen on a race telecast.

Napoleon
04-09-13, 02:17 PM
I picked up on the Driven-vibe, also.

[shivers]

Gnam
04-09-13, 10:18 PM
If it sucks I'm just going to tell people the book was much better.

Rogue Leader
04-10-13, 08:49 AM
I didn't get the Driven vibe at all from the crash sequences, you all need to go back and watch what an abomination those sequences were in that movie, cars launching over walls and getting huge air.

The crashes looked very realistic to me, just in slow motion. Its done like that for dramatic effect. Its a movie not a race telecast, you're able to get better angles, and if they showed them like a real life telecast people would probably wonder "wtf just happened".

Andrew Longman
04-10-13, 07:21 PM
The crash scenes in LeMans are the best I've ever seen. The camera shot from under the guardrail of McQueen's Porsche banging across the track is the best I've ever seen.

And it is not what you would have seen in a TV broadcast.

That said, when directors have tried to be "dramatic" in their crash depiction they usually fail.

Until proven otherwise, I have faith in Howard.

NismoZ
04-10-13, 10:09 PM
Who was the driver who lost a foot in filming one of the LeMans accident scenes? David Piper?

Trevor Longman
04-11-13, 01:44 AM
It was David Piper but I don't think it was filming an accident scene. I'm pretty sure it was just a mechanical failure in what is now the Porsche Curves. Very lucky it was only his foot judging by the wreckage.

http://www.lemans-models.nl/RIJDERTEAM/piper-accident-1970-2.JPG

Trevor Longman
04-11-13, 10:45 PM
New trailer. The other one was the international trailer. This is the US theatrical version. Miles better than the last and for the most part its ditched that Driven vibe I got with the last one.

umSSvkFCYDk

Napoleon
04-12-13, 06:17 AM
Miles better than the last . . .

Yes it is. It had much more of Olivia Wilde.

emjaya
04-12-13, 08:37 AM
Chris Hemsworth's accent is wrong and his hair is too neat. The Rat looks and sounds right, though.

Rogue Leader
04-12-13, 01:08 PM
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130412/F1/130419955?utm_source=DailyDrive20130412&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=article1&utm_content=20130412-See-extended-trailer-for-Ron-Howard%27s-%27Rush%27-Formula-One-movie&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

More info... One of the producers worked on "Senna", THAT excites me for this more.

SteveH
04-12-13, 02:27 PM
Chris Hemsworth's accent is wrong and his hair is too neat. The Rat looks and sounds right, though.

No kidding, they nailed Lauda.

NismoZ
04-12-13, 10:16 PM
That would be "Super Rat" would it not?;)

nissan gtp
04-12-13, 10:45 PM
New trailer. The other one was the international trailer. This is the US theatrical version. Miles better than the last and for the most part its ditched that Driven vibe I got with the last one.

umSSvkFCYDk

totally agree, this makes we really want to see the movie. the first trailer, I had reservations....

Rogue Leader
04-13-13, 07:31 PM
Early pre screen review by R&T says

Its the best racing movie

http://roadandtrack.kinja.com/i-saw-rush-in-nyc-this-week-472808984

Rus'L
04-15-13, 02:05 PM
I can do without the James Hunts sexual exploits

And that would take away a key part of his character.

Ron Howard has made no secret about the fact the reason he fell in love with this story was because of the two opposite personalities off the track who were fighting it out for the world championship.

Their personalities and characters are going to be a key plotline in this movie.

Napoleon
08-29-13, 09:12 AM
Story in the NY Times today on the movie.

Formula One is to Nascar. . . more or less what polo is to rodeo. (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/01/movies/making-a-pit-stop-in-formula-one-with-rush.html?hpw)

TedN
08-29-13, 06:58 PM
Rush is showing at TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival) this year.

Brief review .....

Rush (3 stars): You’d expect a movie about Formula One racers to cut to the chase, but director Ron Howard takes his time establishing the ego vs. egghead rivalry between 1976 top guns James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth) and Niki Lauda (Daniel Brühl). When the engines really start, the fact-based story locks in, both as involving entertainment and as a serious look at what it takes to be a true champion. Highly commercial, but also thoughtful and suspenseful. Do yourself a favour and don’t Google the result prior to seeing.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/tiff/2013/08/27/tiff_2013_34_films_reviewed.html#

Ted

cameraman
08-29-13, 08:03 PM
Do yourself a favour and don’t Google the result prior to seeing.

Dang...

TedN
09-09-13, 12:14 PM
To borrow from a line written by author Tom Wolfe about moonshine-runner-turned-NASCAR-driver Junior Johnson, the Ron Howard motion picture Rush is the best auto racing movie ever made, yes!

http://www.wheels.ca/news/review-rush-is-the-best-racing-movie-ever-made-yes/

Ted

Napoleon
09-09-13, 02:25 PM
More reviews, and they seem pretty positive:

http://variety.com/2013/film/reviews/rush-review-ron-howard-1200596801/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/filmreviews/10281663/Rush-review.html

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/sep/06/rush-review

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/04/rush-review-3

Gnam
09-09-13, 02:57 PM
http://s12.postimg.org/y52qm4wyl/i_want_to_believe.jpg

...but, I just saw Argo and the line, "If you want to sell a lie, you get the press to sell it for you," is still ringing in my ears.

Napoleon
09-11-13, 11:16 AM
I just saw this, a featurette for the movie. Oh and the reviews coming out still are pretty positive.

mSlVGzc1dpg

Kiwifan
09-13-13, 06:27 AM
Chris Amon speaks to TV3 Sports News about "that" day'

http://www.3news.co.nz/Amons-footsteps-remain-in-Formula-1/tabid/415/articleID/313152/Default.aspx

SurfaceUnits
09-15-13, 07:55 PM
http://sendgrid.com/wf/webmail?rp=ZTI1bGQzTnNaWFIwWlhKZmFXUTZNVEl6TkN4MWM yVnlYMmxrT2pJMU5qVTBmUWV5SnVaWGR6YkdWMGRHVnlYMmxrS WpvaU1qRTFPREU1T0NJc0ltNWxkM05zWlhSMFpYSmZkWE5sY2w 5cFpDSTZNamMzTmpZNU1ETTBPRFo5&utm_content=transactional_triggered&utm_campaign=app&utm_source=mcgmail&utm_term=app&utm_medium=email

Mary
09-19-13, 06:40 PM
New York Times review:

http://movies.nytimes.com/2013/09/20/movies/rush-goes-inside-formula-one-and-two-of-its-titans.html?src=dayp

Mary

dando
09-21-13, 02:40 PM
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-34980_7-57603657/rush-its-really-very-good./

Good buzz on this flick, and Ron Howard rarely disappoints.

Rogue Leader
09-22-13, 02:19 AM
Saw the first public screening during the Jalopnik film festival. It was absolutely amazing, by far the best racing movie, and just overall unbelievable. You musty see it.

TravelGal
09-22-13, 04:12 PM
Glad to hear that RL. I read the review in the LA Times last week but can't seem to find the link. Kenneth Turan said he thought it needed more zip or something like that. Huh? His point was that he thought it could have had a little less Ron Howard treacle and a little more edge. Given that comment, I guess we can all fall down on our knees and be glad that Steven Spielberg didn't direct it. The gist was it was good but not as good as "Senna."

Rogue Leader
09-23-13, 08:49 AM
Glad to hear that RL. I read the review in the LA Times last week but can't seem to find the link. Kenneth Turan said he thought it needed more zip or something like that. Huh? His point was that he thought it could have had a little less Ron Howard treacle and a little more edge. Given that comment, I guess we can all fall down on our knees and be glad that Steven Spielberg didn't direct it. The gist was it was good but not as good as "Senna."

Whats funny is the reviews I've read on car sites have been good but not great. However many of the non car site reviews have called it Ron Howards best film ever, which is pretty lofty praise considering what he has done. Usually its the other way around with many of these movies. I can't say comparing it to Senna is good since Senna is a documentary. Also some of the car site complaints are with the historical accuracy of it, and while yes there was some liberties taken, considering he had the blessing of F1, and people involved (including Lauda himself and the Hunt Family), I think they probably all agreed that that was the way to go to fit this huge story into 2 hours of movie.

On a side note during the Jalopnik film fest they had a Q&A with Asif Kapadia after Senna and he made a point about Bernie that was really remarkable. He said the reason he could do the movie the way he did it was because Bernie Eccelstone realized that some day everyone was going to be recording everything that happened everywhere in the F1 paddock, so what did he do? He put guys with Cameras on everyone and everything, and obviously extra ones on guys like Senna and Prost. It left him with mountains of footage of these guys. Say what you want about Bernie, but that was some pretty good prediction right there.

Anteater
09-25-13, 08:54 PM
Oh, the irony: my sister, who had zero interest in auto racing until last weekend, got to attend a preview showing of Rush last Friday. She really enjoyed the plot ("I didn't know that it was a true story!"), and thought that the actors did a remarkable job of portraying their characters.

TravelGal
09-26-13, 08:22 PM
Oh, the irony: my sister, who had zero interest in auto racing until last weekend, got to attend a preview showing of Rush last Friday. She really enjoyed the plot ("I didn't know that it was a true story!"), and thought that the actors did a remarkable job of portraying their characters.

Where's the smilie hitting itself upside the head? Oh groan. Well, at least she liked it.

gjc2
09-27-13, 07:49 AM
I’ll see the movie this weekend. I’m curious to see how they portray some of the other drivers from that era, specifically Mario Andretti.

Rogue Leader
09-27-13, 08:51 AM
I’ll see the movie this weekend. I’m curious to see how they portray some of the other drivers from that era, specifically Mario Andretti.

I don't want to dissappoint but aside from a mention of his name and a side shot of his helmet, there is not much Andretti in this film. There are a couple other drivers from the period though.

datachicane
09-27-13, 12:28 PM
I saw it last night. It's... not bad.

Really, for a racing move not all that much racing action, and a goodly portion of what is there is of the standard shift-gears-and-pass ilk. Still, that will likely make it more palatable to a general audience, which was probably the plan. Complaints? They cleaned up Hunt a bit, but nobody would likely believe it otherwise. Bizarre continuity problem where Lauda leads Hunt, Hunt pits for tires, and Lauda pits behind him. Very little feel at all for the actual tracks, but no one besides us will likely notice that (Monza without a shot of the parabolica?) That's about it.

It was nice to see the very brief shot of Niki himself at the end of the film.

Not one for the ages, but I'd rank it just slightly behind Grand Prix as a racing film, a bit ahead as a general audience film.

dando
09-27-13, 05:03 PM
Rush == :thumbup: :thumbup:

It's not Drivel @ all.

gjc2
09-27-13, 06:53 PM
I'm in the theater now. $5.25 for a one liter bottle of water!!

Gnam
09-27-13, 07:16 PM
The San Francisco Chronicle liked it. :)

...this is a drama with some racing in it, not a racing movie with some drama.

http://www.sfgate.com/movies/article/Rush-review-A-drama-with-not-about-racing-4846255.php

They also mention that the R rating is deserved:
"Mangled human remains in the crash scenes and multiple bare breasts and backsides are featured."

So it won't be as good as that Matra 650 video posted in the Youtube thread, but better than an Indycar race. :p

dando
09-27-13, 08:08 PM
The San Francisco Chronicle liked it. :)

They also mention that the R rating is deserved:
"Mangled human remains in the crash scenes and multiple bare breasts and backsides are featured."

So it won't be as good as that Matra 650 video posted in the Youtube thread, but better than an Indycar race. :p

There are also several F-bombs. (NOTE to Elmo).

gjc2
09-27-13, 09:48 PM
It was an enjoyable couple of hours. I would have liked to see more portrayals of some of the other drivers. There may have been fifty people in the theatre for the 7:00PM showing on the opening day.

Elmo T
09-28-13, 08:14 AM
There are also several F-bombs. (NOTE to Elmo).

Meh - Emmo hears that from his Mom several times a day. :saywhat:;)

And at nearly 10yo, he doesn't want to see bare breasts. Yet.

chop456
09-28-13, 08:44 AM

Really, for a racing move not all that much racing action, and a goodly portion of what is there is of the standard shift-gears-and-pass ilk. Still, that will likely make it more palatable to a general audience, which was probably the plan. Complaints? They cleaned up Hunt a bit, but nobody would likely believe it otherwise. Bizarre continuity problem where Lauda leads Hunt, Hunt pits for tires, and Lauda pits behind him. Very little feel at all for the actual tracks, but no one besides us will likely notice that (Monza without a shot of the parabolica?) That's about it.

Not one for the ages, but I'd rank it just slightly behind Grand Prix as a racing film, a bit ahead as a general audience film.

Excellent review, and thank you. You just saved me $20 and 2 hours of my life. :thumbup:

stroker
09-28-13, 09:14 AM
I figure I'll have to cough up a ticket just to say thanks to RH for having made the movie.

Mary
09-28-13, 12:19 PM
I would actually like to see this; I may go on Monday or Tuesday since I'm taking them off work for a badly needed (mental) rest. Why is this even remotely worth posting? I don't like movies very much and haven't been to see one in a movie theater since I saw To Wong Fu, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar.

Seriously. I did go see an indi movie a friend starred in between then and now (maybe in 2000) but normally if I see anything that is even remotely modern it is when I'm stuck on an airplane (and I don't take to many long haul flights) or on TV.

Mary

Gnam
09-28-13, 01:40 PM
courtesy of motorsportscollector.com newsletter:

...the BBC has done an excellent one hour documentary on the Hunt - Lauda rivalry that is now streaming free on Vimeo.

http://vimeo.com/70552784
*unable to embed

gjc2
09-28-13, 02:56 PM
http://vimeo.com/70552784
*unable to embed

I just watched the video. It's well worth an hour of your time.

TrueBrit
09-28-13, 06:29 PM
I don't want to dissappoint but aside from a mention of his name and a side shot of his helmet, there is not much Andretti in this film. There are a couple other drivers from the period though.

Just got back from seeing it. I was a little disappointed that they didn't show more of the cars and the other drivers. Interesting that they made a big deal of the Spanish grand prix DQ, but nothing ahoy the monumental wreck at the start of the British grand prix and subsequent protests. Not entirely sure that Hunts portrayal was as accurate as Lauda's was, but overall the movie is definitely worth watching. RH did a good job, and as someone else said, thank jeebus Spielberg didn't get his mitts on this...Oh, there is some very strong language, and more nudity than i'v ever seen in an Opie-made flick, so if you're taking kiddies be aware...

TrueBrit
09-28-13, 06:38 PM

There was another continuity boo-boo at the 'Ring, as Lauda was leaving the pits he was blocked by Andretti who had just come in, but after Lauda left he had to pass Andretti on the track...?? About the only track that was recognizable was Brands Hatch which doubled (tripled) as itself, Monza, Fuji and Paul Ricard....and as a man of Kent, let me tell you that is surely the first time anyone has tried to pass North Kingsdown off as the South of France :-)

But that's just nit-picking, it's definitely worth a trip to the multiplex imho...

TrueBrit
09-28-13, 06:42 PM
Excellent review, and thank you. You just saved me $20 and 2 hours of my life. :thumbup:

Oh don't be such a cheap git...go check it out on a matinee...it'll be worth it just to see the classic cars...

dando
09-28-13, 08:02 PM
Not spoil things, but the 'lung vacuuming' scene after Lauda's shunt was, well :yuck: :eek:.

Rogue Leader
09-30-13, 12:07 AM
Regarding the tracks, they were limited on budget and availability of all the real cars, so unfortunately a lot of tracks had to be "doubled". Yes there was definitely more drama than racing action, but they definitely managed to capture the thrill of these cars.

There are 2 films out there with more racing action than drama, LeMans and Grand Prix. Both are boring as hell. The first time watching them I enjoyed the racing scenes. But neither is an entertaining film (with LeMans having a nonsensical story, and GP having some pretty horrid acting).

I went to see it again with an on again off again girlfriend this past saturday in NYC. Theater was sold out. People cheered when Lauda made it back on track, I've never seen that happen in a movie theater in the middle of a film. She has no interest in racing and came out thrilled and said it was one of the best films she has ever seen. If you have even the slightest interest in F1 or even just cars you owe it to yourself to see this movie.

Mary
09-30-13, 05:44 PM
Went to see Rush this afternoon. This is the first movie I've seen in a theater since the 1990s and I was reminded again why I don't like to go. I have the attention span of a roadrunner on crack and all the bloody previews nearly drove me nuts. They lasted almost 1/2 hour. Eventually, the actual movie started and I wasn't disappointed but it is hard to sit still that long.

I enjoyed this movie and really wanted to see it because I am a racing fan, but it really isn't a racing movie and the racing scenes aren't much to see, IMO. It was more about the Niki vs James rivalry: Lauda being technical and focused, Hunt being wild & quick, and them driving each other. The 1970s era F1 atmosphere is great, but there isn't much of it. Although they kept hammering home the "risking your life to do it" theme, F1 was just window dressing to this movie. It could have been about two rivals in anything.

I didn't follow F1 in the 70s (or any other racing except for watching the Indy 500 every year), only saw it when they'd show bits of the Monaco GP on Wide World of Sports ("...the agony of defeat..." show). I don't know if Hunt was the typical F1 driver of the past, but Lauda was definitely the prototype of the future; he'd fit right in today. Hunt would not. In a way that is sad, but I'm not 19-years-old like I was in 1976 and somebody like James Hunt who would have been thrilling then, ain't so attractive now (although the actor who played him is :thumbup: ;)). I know, I'm old. But I did get here, James Hunt did not and that is a shame. Even though you don't really get this from the trailers, I'm glad this movie was as much about Lauda as it was about Hunt. Made it more worthwhile, IMO.

Mary

Gnam
09-30-13, 06:52 PM
It was more about the Niki vs James rivalry: Lauda being technical and focused, Hunt being wild & quick, and them driving each other.
Sounds like Top Gun. ;) Was there any teeth snapping or beach volleyball?

Mary
09-30-13, 07:35 PM
Sounds like Top Gun. ;) Was there any teeth snapping or beach volleyball?

Never saw Top Gun, sorry & nope!

Mary

dando
10-01-13, 08:07 AM
Went to see Rush this afternoon. This is the first movie I've seen in a theater since the 1990s and I was reminded again why I don't like to go. I have the attention span of a roadrunner on crack and all the bloody previews nearly drove me nuts. They lasted almost 1/2 hour. Eventually, the actual movie started and I wasn't disappointed but it is hard to sit still that long.

'tis why I show up 15 minutes late to skip the trailers for the 2-3 movies I see in a theater each year. It also helps our local AMC theater just did a redesign and now has awesome leather recliners. :thumbup:

That being said, yes, the focus of the movie is Hunt vs. Lauda, but there is enough racing action to make it a racing movie. I learned a lot since, like you, I probably didn't watch F1 until E$PN in the 80s. Wide World of Sports was the only exposure to sports like F1 in the 70s (RIP, Jim McKay).

Rogue Leader
10-01-13, 08:49 AM
As a side note I have to laugh at the know-it-all commenters on places like IMDB, and on some of the reviews out there. They are ripping on the movie because the story isn't exact, and even better saying that Ron Howard didn't talk to anyone involved or watch any period video or anything. They even rip on the rivalry and point out Lauda and Hunt's friendship. They completely ignore the fact that Niki Lauda was involved with this project from day 1 as was the Hunt family and many others who, you know, actually were there like Peter Hunt. They all were ok with the changes for dramatic effect and to fit 4 years of story into 2 hours. And apparently nobody paid attention to the final scene or the fact that while they busted eachothers balls all movie, they never came to blows, and supported eachother through their rivalry. Happens with everything, theres always a percentage of the populace who are fans of something that are so superbly anal they can't appreciate something thats done well enough to be enjoyed by all, not just their tiny niche.

Napoleon
10-01-13, 10:31 AM
Happens with everything, theres always a percentage of the populace who are fans of something that are so superbly anal they can't appreciate something thats done well enough to be enjoyed by all, not just their tiny niche.

Not only is my undergraduate degree in history, but I have continued to read it since college and am genuinely interested in it. You have no idea how that type of person drove me crazy when the movie Lincoln came out. First you have those that took Spielberg to task for not making a movie about what they wanted it made about (sorry, the movie's title is "Lincoln" not "The Abolitionist", it was based on a book about Lincoln), then there were those that the entire concept that it was a film produced for commercial release, not a PBS miniseries or documentary, seemed to escape them (so what Lincoln never chatted in the field with a couple of black soldiers – that is a cinematic technic the movie used to succinctly and effectively place the events of early 1865 in context regarding race relations in the past and to come in the future).

Those people likely go to an art gallery and bitch and moan about how the edges of Monet’s flowers aren’t as razor sharp as flowers on their HDTVs.

NismoZ
10-01-13, 11:55 AM
Yeah, all of that...I'm just happy Brett Lunger got a mention.:thumbup:

Rogue Leader
10-01-13, 12:51 PM
Not only is my undergraduate degree in history, but I have continued to read it since college and am genuinely interested in it. You have no idea how that type of person drove me crazy when the movie Lincoln came out. First you have those that took Spielberg to task for not making a movie about what they wanted it made about (sorry, the movie's title is "Lincoln" not "The Abolitionist", it was based on a book about Lincoln), then there were those that the entire concept that it was a film produced for commercial release, not a PBS miniseries or documentary, seemed to escape them (so what Lincoln never chatted in the field with a couple of black soldiers – that is a cinematic technic the movie used to succinctly and effectively place the events of early 1865 in context regarding race relations in the past and to come in the future).

Those people likely go to an art gallery and bitch and moan about how the edges of Monet’s flowers aren’t as razor sharp as flowers on their HDTVs.

I went to the Jalopnik film festival and they showed Senna (just before Rush) and the director Asif Kapfada was in the panel after the showing. The first audience question was basically "why was Alain Prost made a Villain"? A little more in depth than that but thats the basic gist. A common complaint about the film. Heck I feel that way about it, BUT I appreciate it for what it is.

His response was perfect, basically to the affect of "I was asked to do a movie about Senna, and trust me as a British guy most of the Brits hated Senna and were Prost or Mansell or other fans. However I would not be doing justice to a movie that was supposed to be celebrating the life of Ayrton Senna by providing everyone else's perspectives and having the viewer draw their own conclusions. If the Film was "Prost and Senna" or just Prost, it would be an extremely different movie. But its not, its Senna"

Thats how I remember what he said if you search youtube for the "Drive" channel and the Jalopnik Film Festival I believe they have video of it. His responses to that and other questions (like about Bernie Eccelstone) are really interesting.

Napoleon
10-01-13, 01:24 PM
^^^^

I'll have to check that out, thanks.

It is amazing that even though what you summarize Kapfada as saying is basically Common Sense 101, yet a good chunk of people do not get it.

Mary
10-01-13, 04:00 PM
Other than the NY Times review (which I posted a link to) I stayed away from most reviews about this movie once I decided to go see it in the theater. Yesterday, after I'd seen the movie, I did read more of them and I have to say I got a chuckle out of many of them. "Dramatic license" is obviously a foreign phrase many, LOL!

BarillaGirl
10-05-13, 10:52 PM
JC and I saw "Rush" this morning. Neither of us knew anything about this era of F1, and we found it thrilling. Plenty of engine song and close tech shots for the car junkies, but not enough to chase away anyone who was there for a drama. I was moved by the strength of the relationship that developed between Hunt and Lauda. I did keep wondering if Peter would have wanted to see the movie, and wondering what extra details he would have given us after the movie was over. :confused:

JC's comment afterwards was "I'm not sure who the protagonist was, Hunt or Lauda." My interpretation of that is that Ron Howard did a great job in making this movie about the relationship between the men, so one didn't look like a hero at the expense of the other being a villain.

For whoever is keeping stats... we went to a 10:35am Saturday morning showing, and there were 7 of us in the theater.

cameraman
10-06-13, 12:20 AM
we went to a 10:35am Saturday morning showing, and there were 7 of us in the theater.

Outside of the Sundance Film Festival I have never been in a theater that early in the morning.:eek:

JohnHKart
10-15-13, 01:11 PM
I was tired and ate a big meal plus beer first time so I slept through a lot of it. Went again last night and really enjoyed it. Awesome movie. With all the strict attention to detail, it's strange that nailed Lauda's accident but Cevert's crash ihas the details of Koenigg's instead, can't believe they messed that up. No complaints otherwise .

Rogue Leader
10-15-13, 04:42 PM
I was tired and ate a big meal plus beer first time so I slept through a lot of it. Went again last night and really enjoyed it. Awesome movie. With all the strict attention to detail, it's strange that nailed Lauda's accident but Cevert's crash ihas the details of Koenigg's instead, can't believe they messed that up. No complaints otherwise .

The crash was supposed to be a conjectural combination of the two. They never mention Cevert by name, and it actually happened the year before they portrayed.

JohnHKart
10-15-13, 06:01 PM
The crash was supposed to be a conjectural combination of the two. They never mention Cevert by name, and it actually happened the year before they portrayed.

No, clearly the name Cevert is stated by the track announcer in the background and it's a blue car. I heard the name. I just sent an email to my friends about the anniversary last week so I was anticipating this scene.

Rogue Leader
10-15-13, 06:51 PM
No, clearly the name Cevert is stated by the track announcer in the background and it's a blue car. I heard the name. I just sent an email to my friends about the anniversary last week so I was anticipating this scene.

I saw it twice and listened for it and could not make out the name at all. Also I recall in one of the many Ron Howard interviews about it he said the same as I did, that it was an amalgam of the 2 crashes to show the danger. Plus Cevert crashed in 1973, that scene was portrayed as 1975.

JohnHKart
10-16-13, 01:19 AM
I saw it twice and listened for it and could not make out the name at all. Also I recall in one of the many Ron Howard interviews about it he said the same as I did, that it was an amalgam of the 2 crashes to show the danger. Plus Cevert crashed in 1973, that scene was portrayed as 1975.

Memories get dirtied up with other things we've seen and heard so maybe I just think I heard it, and I'm thinking of the Colin Chapman in the pit lane clip- "Cevert, bloody hell." That's why eyewitness accounts are so screwy! Ill get a copy of it and if I hear it or not hear it Ill post back here again at that time. Thanks. At last, this is a great movie and finally we have a great motor racing movie. It's been a long long time coming.

Rogue Leader
10-16-13, 07:23 AM
Memories get dirtied up with other things we've seen and heard so maybe I just think I heard it, and I'm thinking of the Colin Chapman in the pit lane clip- "Cevert, bloody hell." That's why eyewitness accounts are so screwy! Ill get a copy of it and if I hear it or not hear it Ill post back here again at that time. Thanks. At last, this is a great movie and finally we have a great motor racing movie. It's been a long long time coming.

I agree, feels like I've been waiting forever for this. I hope when it comes out on Blu-Ray they do a special edition like they do with some movies.

Napoleon
10-16-13, 07:07 PM
Well I finally saw it this afternoon and really liked it.

stroker
10-20-13, 09:02 PM
finally saw it. I didn't hear any "Cevert" reference, fwiw. I thought they "dramatized" it more than necessary but on balance it was pretty good. I'm not in a position to know but is sure seems like Bruhl nailed Lauda. I liked the bit at the end with the genuine photos.

TedN
12-02-13, 07:56 PM
Just finished watching Charlie Rose show on Buffalo PBS station. Separate interviews with Ron Howard and Niki Lauda. The Lauda segment was really interesting as I'd never seen him sit down for a 30-minute chat. It's not yet up on Rose's website but watch for it. Good stuff.

Link (http://www.charlierose.com/)

Ted

opinionated ow
12-03-13, 03:31 AM
Was anybody else disappointed by the movie? I don't know what it was exactly but it just sort of missed the mark for me. I'm not sure if it was the almost caricature personalities or the wooden acting of Hemsworth or something else. My Dad thought it great; me not so much.

SteveH
12-03-13, 10:33 AM
Was anybody else disappointed by the movie? I don't know what it was exactly but it just sort of missed the mark for me. I'm not sure if it was the almost caricature personalities or the wooden acting of Hemsworth or something else. My Dad thought it great; me not so much.

Sort of the same as you. I think knowing how it was going to end took much away from the film. My wife thought it was great, I purposely didn't tell her what it was about. We ran into friends at the show who didn't know anything about F1 and they loved it. To me it was like watching a documentary in a way.

Gopeddle
12-04-13, 10:56 AM
If you noticed, many of the scenes were lifted from the documentary "The Quick and the Dead", also known as "Champions Forever". Still, I'd rate the film right after "Grand Prix" and "Le Mans". The newer documentary "1" is very good as well.

WickerBill
01-01-14, 03:25 PM
Saw Rush last night.

(I also just got a VCR)

Enjoyed it, I'd call it a 4/5 for non-racing fans and a 3/5 for racing fans. Great story, embellished a bit but told well. If 30 for 30 did a Lauda/Hunt documentary, I'd expect it to be significantly different, of course. But I liked it for what it was.

The sound was way up and the engines... just fantastic.

Gnam
01-01-14, 09:20 PM
(I also just got a VCR)
:mind explosion:

;)

dando
01-01-14, 09:41 PM
(I also just got a VCR)

Must be watching prOn. ;)