PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyone else here...

stroker
03-06-12, 07:12 PM
Who is having a really, really hard time generating enough interest to GAF about this coming racing season? I've recorded the last couple of Speedvisions/Wind Tunnels and I can't summon the initiative to bother fast forwarding through them.

F1? More contrived than ever. The damned lawyers have taken over.
NASCAR? Haven't cared since they ditched OEM sheet metal--WGAF
Indycar? 'nuff said
ALMS? No car count
Grand AM? More France BS...
Drag Racing? Just like tractor pulls... Seen it once, you've seen 'em all.
MotoGP? More useless technology
Superbikes? Neutered by the Frances
AMA Flat Track? Not on TV

I should have posted this at Smacked for the proper "context" but everybody would have responded "EFF SPICOLI!" and been done with it.

Seriously, am I the only one?

mapguy
03-06-12, 07:21 PM
I've pretty much given up on professional motor racing. Mosport is only 20 minutes away and Shannonville is just over an hour. Club & historic racing for me. Every weekend I had off and if there was a race at Mosport I was there.

Kiwifan
03-06-12, 08:13 PM
Nah, you are not alone mate. I used to watch CART, Indy Lights, Toyota, Barber Dodge, F1, Bikes, Aussie V8s as well as some South American OW and the odd British Touring Cars event.

Now its just F1 and the odd V8 race...if it's on and I'm around. How times have changed. :cry: :flame:

KLang
03-06-12, 08:47 PM
I threw in the towel on everything when KK and the rest went earling. Just don't care at all other than peeking in a few threads here from time to time.

Rogue Leader
03-06-12, 09:02 PM
Actually FIA GT1 is looking good this year, a new car spec (which is basically GT3) is bringing in more different cars than before including McLaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Audi, Nissan, Mercedes. Should be interesting.

Michaelhatesfans
03-06-12, 09:12 PM
Vintage for me, and that's about it.

extramundane
03-06-12, 09:18 PM
Actually FIA GT1 is looking good this year, a new car spec (which is basically GT3) is bringing in more different cars than before including McLaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Audi, Nissan, Mercedes. Should be interesting.

Don't they only have 12-14 cars lined up?

Along those lines, the Blancpain GT3 Series looks MUCH more interesting to me.

RTKar
03-06-12, 09:43 PM
Not much interest here, ever since CART/CC imploded. ALMS never grew the way I had hoped it would. I never have liked nascar. I still watch F1 but I despise bernie as much as tg. F1 has become far too vanilla with Tilke tracks and races in questionable locations. I may hit the local short track and Road America for ALMS and Historics. The Miller Historics event at the Milwaukee is pretty interesting as well.

Andrew Longman
03-06-12, 09:44 PM
I paying good money to fly to and attend Sebring next week. Should be a monster line up.

But...

I'm going because it is likely to be the last year in many that it is a great show.

Other than that... I like going to races, especially with my boys. Best thing I can usually do in a given week -- except maybe going to lacrosse tournaments with my daughter and wife.

But this is nothing like the old days. The weeks leading up to going to the Schaefer 500, or races at Trenton and Michigan, or Nazareth or Cleveland, or RA... well its not the same.

Thanks for the buzzkill.

FWIW NASCAR does put together a good race at The Glen. It is not a good race weekend compared to CART gigs but it is usually a good race day.

Rogue Leader
03-06-12, 09:44 PM

Thats what they had last year, I believe there is more now, but it is hard to find a straight answer on who is in the Lineup. BMW, Aston Martin, and Chevrolet may be in there as well and they have to put up a minimum of 2 cars. With those included you have around 18 Cars.

cameraman
03-06-12, 09:47 PM
F1? More contrived than ever. The damned lawyers have taken over.

At the end of the day it is still a battle to come up with the fastest car within the idjit rules. I can ignore duckbills and all the other FIA stupidity.

nrc
03-06-12, 10:12 PM
WRC is really the only thing that interests me these days, but there's not much enjoyment there since TV coverage sucks so bad. No word on whether HDT will show it this season and we're two events in.

:irked:

SteveH
03-06-12, 10:31 PM
At the end of the day it is still a battle to come up with the fastest car within the idjit rules. I can ignore duckbills and all the other FIA stupidity.

Same here. Looking forward to Australia.

Methanolandbrats
03-06-12, 10:39 PM
WRC is really the only thing that interests me these days, but there's not much enjoyment there since TV coverage sucks so bad. No word on whether HDT will show it this season and we're two events in.

:irked:

Ya, WRC is on the way UP, but of course we can't watch it becasue we have to watch reruns of hillbilly oval tard fests. :mad:

opinionated ow
03-07-12, 03:30 AM
Ya, WRC is on the way UP, but of course we can't watch it becasue we have to watch reruns of hillbilly oval tard fests. :mad:

Except that the company running WRC went bankrupt

opinionated ow
03-07-12, 07:48 AM

Yes by my count there are only 12. Aston Martin pulled out as did Ford, Chevrolet and Nissan. I think there is Ferrari, Mclaren, BMW, Audi, Lamborghini, Mercedes-Benz. They changed the rules to only allow 2 cars per manufacturer. It's basically a series of irrelevance. If they wanted to grow GT racing they should have killed off GT1 when the ACO did and run their major category as GT2 with a slower GT3 as a second class just as they did in the GT/N-GT days. They also shouldn't have shortened the races; there was nothing wrong with 3 hours/500km races.

High Sided
03-07-12, 09:10 AM
fim world superbike!

IHqu-UuY1N0

Methanolandbrats
03-07-12, 09:18 AM
Except that the company running WRC went bankrupt

They run the events and VW built a really cool Polo WRC car for next year, so that direction is up compared to most series.

Indy
03-07-12, 09:43 AM
F1 has one foot in the grave, but it's still fun to watch. Anyone heard who Rubens is running for this year? :gomer:

SurfaceUnits
03-09-12, 12:25 AM
Is Gordon Kirby relevant any longer?

miatanut
03-09-12, 01:26 AM
The last couple years, Le Mans on the net is all I've paid any attention to. I watch it for the GT's.

Before that it was a couple years of vintage racing being the only racing I attended in person, but I don't even have the interest to attend that any more.

If the rules makers would open the rules up wide, so there was some innovation, variety, and a technology race you could really see, my interest would come back.

DagoFast
03-09-12, 12:02 PM
Highsided nailed one, fim superbike! Its consistently the best racing series going. It would be awesome if we could get British Superbike races as well. I also still enjoy motogp, even though the fields had gotten a bit thin. A large field isn't the be all end all with me as I never went to the races to cheer for a Dick Simon or Charlie Nearburg anyway. Motogp still has 4 or 5 simply amazing riders and watching them is reward enough. The CRT bikes will be a developing storyline in motogp this year.

F1 is the only thing with more than 2 wheels i watch regularly. I still tune in to LeMans and the occaisional AusV8 or BTCC races.

I do miss having Manzanita in town. There is really not much local that interests me.

TravelGal
03-09-12, 01:59 PM
To answer your original question....I'm so bloody uninterested it took me three days to type a reply. That about sums it up.

Rogue Leader
03-14-12, 12:36 PM
Yes by my count there are only 12. Aston Martin pulled out as did Ford, Chevrolet and Nissan. I think there is Ferrari, Mclaren, BMW, Audi, Lamborghini, Mercedes-Benz. They changed the rules to only allow 2 cars per manufacturer. It's basically a series of irrelevance. If they wanted to grow GT racing they should have killed off GT1 when the ACO did and run their major category as GT2 with a slower GT3 as a second class just as they did in the GT/N-GT days. They also shouldn't have shortened the races; there was nothing wrong with 3 hours/500km races.

Looks like GT1 is ready to go with Ford, Aston, and Porsche entering:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120313/ALMS/120319941?utm_source=DailyDrive20120314&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=missedarticle10&utm_content=20120313-FIA_GT1_championship_ready_to_go_after_new_teams_j oin&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

That sets up (2 cars each) Audi, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mercedes, BMW, McLaren, Ford, Porsche, and Aston Martin. 18 cars, sounds exciting to me.

Easy
03-14-12, 03:31 PM
I am absolutely excited about kicking off the 2012 F1 season.

DRS is kind of stupid but it was the best solution in the face of trying to legislate out stalled rear wings as evidenced by the new for 2012 passively stalled front wings.

opinionated ow
03-14-12, 04:45 PM
Looks like GT1 is ready to go with Ford, Aston, and Porsche entering:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120313/ALMS/120319941?utm_source=DailyDrive20120314&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=missedarticle10&utm_content=20120313-FIA_GT1_championship_ready_to_go_after_new_teams_j oin&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

That sets up (2 cars each) Audi, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mercedes, BMW, McLaren, Ford, Porsche, and Aston Martin. 18 cars, sounds exciting to me.

There was a press release the other day in which SRO basically admitted to paying for the extra 3 teams themselves. See Racing League, Indy

Anteater
03-15-12, 05:36 PM
I'll try to watch F1 and ALMS on TV, but I'm not very excited about it. :(

Ziggy
03-16-12, 07:27 AM
After a lifetime of following motorsports, put me in the catagory of I don't give a crap.

They have even managed to screw up Sprint Car Racing here in the Midwest due to the fact they refuse to increase the purse. Most of the good cars are rent a rides driven by sixteen year old kids. They don't care if they crash because their sponsor (Dad's company) will just buy another new chassis. All in an attempt to make it to NASCAR.

The top tier of American Motor Racing ............:tony::tony::tony:

Insomniac
03-16-12, 09:28 AM
I care a lot less, but I only liked/watched CART to begin with. I didn't watch F1 consistently until it was on SPEED. But given how it's Europe-centric, I DVR it and watch later. It doesn't get live sports status from me (willing to watch live and see commercials). I say it all the time. The focus on aero over mechanical is killing racing in my opinion.