PDA

View Full Version : I just crashed, I just didn't hit nothin!

JohnHKart
02-25-12, 03:11 AM
Here in Johnstown Pa for a gig, I'm the designated band driver. Only doing 30 in a snowstorm tonight get off a sharp right off ramp and the 2012 Town and country locks up then immediately goes to snap oversteer. I have never had a vehicle that sideways ever except when spinning on purpose on trips to Canada in parking lots. I managed to save it , we didn't spin completely, afterwards I was pretty rattled. I almost crashed at the nurburgring on my first laps in 03 and haven't been this rattled since then. All the kart racing experience pays off, I was racing on a slick oval wed night . Tonight was a close call.

Andrew Longman
02-25-12, 03:58 AM
Good on you. That will wake you up.

Johnstown?

Where Slapshot and All the Right Moves were filmed.

Try out the funicular. It is safer than your driving... apparently. ;)

miatanut
02-25-12, 07:10 AM
Maybe driving something that doesn't handle right makes a big difference.

I've never driven a kart. Gasp! I know it's something I need to do. I took a skid class at Portland International Raceway decades ago and that was a blast. In any case, I've had many a sideways moment (on snow) in Miatas, but they then do what they are supposed to do, unlike a Town & Country. One time I went wide, Hit the snowbank, heard horrible noises at the right rear, got out expecting to see a busted taillight, mangled bumper, and other damage, but nothing! Next day I saw hairline cracks in the paint on the mudflap. That one counts as a crash, but I got away with it.

Vehicles that respond the way they're supposed to make a big difference.

Methanolandbrats
02-25-12, 08:48 AM
You just saved one of the most ill-handling POS ever to grace the roads, pat yourself on the back, that was some Schumi grade wheel work. :thumbup: Now you might want to consider throwing away the tires that came on it and getting some good ones. And if you just dabbed the brakes and the rears locked, you might want the dealer to check out the brake proportioning valve. Glad you didn't turn into one of those CNN aerial "bus crash" shots. :D

Michaelhatesfans
02-26-12, 02:26 AM
:thumbup:

Gnam
02-26-12, 03:18 AM
Well done m'laddo! :D:thumbup:

trish
02-26-12, 09:53 AM
I'm glad none of you were injured.

JohnHKart
02-26-12, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the compliments ! I think with the rears locked , when I turned right into the corner that's what caused the back end to snap. We are from LA so it was a rental, not a lot of snow driving experience.

trish
02-26-12, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the compliments ! I think with the rears locked , when I turned right into the corner that's what caused the back end to snap. We are from LA so it was a rental, not a lot of snow driving experience.I hate driving in snow. This is what I do, although I don't know if it's right or not, I haven't hit anyone in the snow yet. Start to slow down about a 1/4 mile or more (depending on your speed) before your exit by easing off of the gas. You should be on your breaks well before you turn onto your exit to avoid spinning out. Be gentle on the steering as you enter and the gas (when needed) as you exit your turn.

I have no advice for going uphill as I'm usually the one backing down to try and give it another go. Going downhill, by the time I hit the crest I am already on the breaks and ride them the whole way down.

I don't have snow tires.

G.
02-26-12, 02:32 PM
not a lot of snow driving experience.

I DO drive in the snow, and every year with first decent snowfall, I send wife to a parking lot to slide around, brake with ABS pushing/pulsing back on the pedal, etc.

I do it as well. Fun and instructive to remind yourself every year.

(this sounds very geeky, but an amazing amount of people release the brake as soon as ABS kicks in. Also make sure to remind ourselves what all-wheel drive feels like kicking in.)

Andrew Longman
02-26-12, 07:32 PM
Keeping your foot lightly in it and steering with the gas is key too. Lifting off the gas will actually shift the weight of the car to the front which has the effect of lightening the rear -- which can cause it to come around.

Especially with FWD, using the gas to pull the car through the corner is (or straighten you out) is key (and goes against what you brain might tell you in the moment)

cameraman
02-26-12, 08:35 PM
It is all very situational. With awd that works except when it doesn't:saywhat:

gjc2
02-26-12, 08:48 PM
Keeping your foot lightly in it and steering with the gas is key too. Lifting off the gas will actually shift the weight of the car to the front which has the effect of lightening the rear -- which can cause it to come around.

It’s called TTO “trailing throttle oversteer”

miatanut
02-27-12, 01:45 AM
It’s called TTO “trailing throttle oversteer”

Fun to play with when it's dry, but I've never found it fun in the wet or snow!:shakehead

miatanut
02-27-12, 01:48 AM
We are from LA so it was a rental, not a lot of snow driving experience.

That makes it doubly impressive!
Also pretty cool you had a gig on the opposite side of the country.

chop456
02-27-12, 05:25 AM
I'm the designated band driver.

Not for long.

NismoZ
02-27-12, 09:17 AM
What I have learned about driving in snow with a MazdaSpeed3...Do NOT do it! The warnings about ultra high performance summer rated tires are spot on. I'm going to enjoy using those up by next fall. SO!...who makes a great 4 season tire that won't get me laughed off the street?:)

Methanolandbrats
02-27-12, 09:28 AM
What I have learned about driving in snow with a MazdaSpeed3...Do NOT do it! The warnings about ultra high performance summer rated tires are spot on. I'm going to enjoy using those up by next fall. SO!...who makes a great 4 season tire that won't get me laughed off the street?:)

Nobody. Buy four steel wheels at the salvage yard and mount real winter tires. That way you can drive hard yearround and have fun. Put em on the end of October, take em off at the end of March. I've been going through this drill with four cars for over 25 years and I would not consider driving in a wintery climate without winter tires.

JohnHKart
02-27-12, 11:39 AM
I hate driving in snow. This is what I do, although I don't know if it's right or not, I haven't hit anyone in the snow yet. Start to slow down about a 1/4 mile or more (depending on your speed) before your exit by easing off of the gas. You should be on your breaks well before you turn onto your exit to avoid spinning out. Be gentle on the steering as you enter and the gas (when needed) as you exit your turn.

I have no advice for going uphill as I'm usually the one backing down to try and give it another go. Going downhill, by the time I hit the crest I am already on the breaks and ride them the whole way down.

I don't have snow tires.

What u suggest is what I would have done different. If my other band members were driving they would have wrecked. I was being careful, but I see how I could have done better, actually they all applauded me. Thanks for the all the info and also the well wishes that we are ok. I'm still the band driver .

Gnam
02-27-12, 03:55 PM
...they all applauded me. I'm still the band driver.
Ask them if they want an encore performance, and change your title to 'Wheelman'.

miatanut
02-27-12, 05:41 PM
I don't know how much snow you have to deal with but I've been happy with these:
http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-4-ultra-high-performance-all-season-tires

Most of my snow driving is going up to the back country to go skiing. Here in town, we only have two or three days of driving on snow most years.

They aren't a snow tire, but they are quite decent in the snow. They don't give ultimate dry weather grip, but my objective isn't lap times, it's to have fun while I'm going wherever. A tire that breaks away before some super-grippy dry tire just means I can have fun sliding the car around easier.

NismoZ
02-27-12, 05:50 PM
M&B...Yep. Been doing the same thing (with ONE car at a time) for at LEAST the last 25 yrs. Used to have my kids help me with my "1 hr. pit stop" twice a year...now I'm older and tireder and was just wondering which all season tire might satisfy me. To make matters WORSE...since I posted I got a screw/nail? puncture/slow leak in my R/F... in the sidewall, OF COURSE, and for a mere $238+ I can buy ONE (matching) replacement! CRICKEY! (did I spell that right?) For $116 bucks (ea.) I can get the latest Kumho 4X whatever-it-is, 420-A-A-Z...whaddaya think? Been bicycle-pumping my wounded tire to the tune of 5 lbs. every morning!:gomer: That Superbowl commercial with the little blond wrapping her legs around her boyfriend at the beach might just push me over the edge!:rofl: I know all about Blizzaks and my Mazda guy offered to sell me a mounted and balanced set on nice alloy rims for his cost, $1107, but C'MON that's way more than $238! OR what I'd pay for a new set of Kumho 4Xs! Think my wife will mind if "we" cancel vacation this summer... to buy tires!? For "MY" car?!:gomer:

NismoZ
02-27-12, 06:13 PM
Good LORD! Forget that $238 price...Tire Rack wants $312 for the Dunlop 2050...a whole new set of cheapies is looking more realistic by the minute.:(

Methanolandbrats
02-27-12, 07:43 PM
General Altimax Arctic is a great, inexpensive winter tire. Conti owns Gislaved and General and the GAA is actually an old Gislaved design. As far as all-seasons go, the only one that works in the snow is the Nokian WR, but they are just an average summer tire if you like to drive hard. If you don't attack ramps and stuff like that, the WR will serve you well yearround.

cameraman
02-27-12, 08:24 PM
If you had lived in Salt Lake this winter you would have only needed snows on two days and then only for a few hours:saywhat::shakehead:cry:

Methanolandbrats
02-27-12, 08:28 PM
If you had lived in Salt Lake this winter you would have only needed snows on two days and then only for a few hours:saywhat::shakehead:cry:

Not just SLC. No ice racing this year in southern wi :cry::cry: First time in 28 years no events were held on the usual lakes. And dry roads almost all the time. I wait all year to drive sideways for a few months, I am heavily bummed.

trish
02-27-12, 08:34 PM
Except for the freak October 2011 storm, we haven't had much snow in CT. I'm thrilled! :D But something may be coming our way this Wednesday.

Indy
02-29-12, 09:59 AM
Michelin Primacy MXV4. Best tire I have ever owned. Excellent handling, quiet, good in the rain and snow. Probably set you back $4-500 installed.