PDA

View Full Version : Got a sec to help with a science fair project?

RichK
02-21-12, 09:44 PM
Hey OC,

My 9 year old daughter is doing a science fair project on people's heart rate.

She needs lots of data on people's resting pulse & pulse after doing 20 jumping jacks.

If you'd like to help, could you please post in this thread or PM me or email me:

-Your resting pulse over 10 seconds after sitting still for at least 2 minutes
-Your pulse over 10 seconds after doing 20 jumping jacks

She wants to compare people between gender and age groups. I'll post the results in this thread for those that are interested.

If you have kids, she wants to get lots of kid data too.

Thanks!

Rich and Katie
email: richfvee AT yahoo dot com

Methanolandbrats
02-21-12, 10:15 PM
YOu are asking a racing board bout exercise :rofl: Good luck with your project.

RichK
02-21-12, 10:24 PM
YOu are asking a racing board bout exercise :rofl: Good luck with your project.

:laugh: I figured she could get the full range of specimens between this forum and the cycling forum I'm on....

stroker
02-22-12, 12:09 AM
If I drop dead can my family sue?

;)

TravelGal
02-22-12, 02:55 AM
My electronic sleeve just exploded.

RichK
02-22-12, 12:37 PM
Dang - this thread is single-handedly dismantling OffCamber. :cry:

WickerBill
02-22-12, 01:44 PM
41/m
Resting: 11
Post JJ: 16.5 (I tested immediately after the last JJ, didn't sit down...was that what she's after?)

RichK
02-22-12, 02:53 PM
41/m
Resting: 11
Post JJ: 16.5 (I tested immediately after the last JJ, didn't sit down...was that what she's after?)

Perfect, thanks! Yes, she wants the heart rate measured immediately after the last JJ.

dando
02-22-12, 02:59 PM
I'll give it a go later today. I figgered the womin folk in the house wouldn't want me jumping around the homizzle ~midnight last night I saw this. :) I'll send you the cardiologist bill. ;)

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
02-22-12, 03:02 PM
If the jumping jacks are done drunk, does the data have to be discarded?

RichK
02-22-12, 04:38 PM
If the jumping jacks are done drunk, does the data have to be discarded?

I did mine after 3 glasses of wine, so I think you're good.

BarillaGirl
02-22-12, 08:52 PM
Still need data? When is the deadline? And put an asterisk next to mine, I have only had one glass of wine (so far). ;)

RichK
02-23-12, 01:48 AM
Yep - still need data, thanks! Deadline is this weekend - when I'll help her put together the presentation.

We live near a National Lab, so it's hard not to help her too much when we see some of the "kid's" projects that used $100,000 equipment and college level statistics. :laugh:

KLang
02-23-12, 08:39 AM
Male, 51

Resting: 12
Post JJ: 17

Now, how to explain to anyone looking in why I'm doing jumping jacks in the office? :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
02-23-12, 09:14 AM
Yep - still need data, thanks! Deadline is this weekend - when I'll help her put together the presentation.

We live near a National Lab, so it's hard not to help her too much when we see some of the "kid's" projects that used $100,000 equipment and college level statistics. :laugh:

Among young people she will find several groups. 1) normal unfit people, 2)normal fit people who have a lower resting pulse than group 1 and a quicker recovery rate due to training and 3)genetic freaks with very low resting pulses and instant recovery from this test because their VO2 max is higher than the average person. These people are gifted aerobic athletes.

Now as they age, it gets tricky and the data will probably diverge all over the place because of decreasing heart efficiency, obesity, sedentary lifestyle, hardening of the arteries and high blood pressure. Those raise the resting pulse and slow the recovery rate. Then doctors mix in medication to combat those things and that can drasticly lower resting heart rates and put a limit on max heart rate. So among the old folks you can have two people with very low resting rates and not much elevation during stress and one could be a trained athlete and the other a sedentary tub of guts on heavy blood pressure meds.

M 56
12 (coffee soaked)

Rex Karz
02-23-12, 09:37 AM
M 62

Resting: 7

Post JJ: 11

(But then again I run about 20 miles per week and regularly go to a gym.)

Methanolandbrats
02-23-12, 10:11 AM
7 :eek:

dando
02-23-12, 01:15 PM
M 56
12 (coffee soaked)

Same here except the old fart part. :gomer: Age: 45

Oh, and I walk regularly and I pass by a gym a few times per week. ;)

-Kevin

Indy
02-24-12, 09:00 AM
Male 44
Resting: 10
After Jumping Jacks: 15

Not too bad. We can't ALL be Rex Karz, after all. :laugh:

emjaya
02-24-12, 09:01 AM
M: 46

M 62

Resting: 7

Post JJ: 11

(But then again I run about 20 miles per week and regularly go to a gym.)

I don't drive 20 miles in a week, much less run.