PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR Offending its Traditional Fanbase Again

SurfaceUnits
02-18-12, 08:24 PM
The General Lee, donning the Confederate flag, barred by NASCAR at March race at PIR

Bubba Watson, a PGA Tour golfer who purchased the famed General Lee car from the 1980's TV show The Dukes of Hazzard, will not be allowed to drive the vehicle as the pace car prior to the NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Phoenix International Raceway as previously scheduled because of NASCAR's concerns with the Confederate flag on the roof of the car.

"NASCAR, International Speedway Corp. and Phoenix International Raceway officials discussed this and decided it was not in the best interest of our sport,'' NASCAR said in a statement Friday. "The image of the Confederate flag is not something that should play an official role in our sport as we continue to reach out to new fans and make NASCAR more inclusive."

PIR announced on Monday in a media release that Watson would "...drive The General Lee from Dukes of Hazard fame during a ceremonial parade lap as part of his duties as Honorary Race Official at the SUBWAY Fresh Fit 500™".

"We are really excited to have Bubba join us for the SUBWAY Fresh Fit 500™," said PIR President Bryan R. Sperber in the statement. "The Fact that he's bringing The General Lee just takes it to a whole new level. I think the fans are going to be pumped to see them both."

Watson bought the car at the Barrett Jackson auction in Scottsdale, then drove it frequently to the TPC Scottsdale during the week of the Waste Management Phoenix Open.

Watson's Twitter page shows him standing next to the car.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/speed/articles/2012/02/17/20120217general-lee-nascar-bubba-watson-confederate-flag.html

Indy
02-19-12, 11:26 AM
They wouldn't let me fly my Nazi flag at the local German Festival, either. I told them it wasn't about being a Nazi, that it was about my German roots, my heritage, but they turned me down anyway.

I can't believe they infringed my freedom like that. What a bunch of fascists!

NismoZ
02-19-12, 03:06 PM
Yeah, that'll work. I was SO fortunate to have a US Senator, who in her introductory speech, demanded that the Confederate flag be "expunged from our history books!" Sickening. Sure, just hide that part of history, it'll go away. I guess we should hide the swastika, too. We certainly don't want anyone, especially Jews, remembering what THAT symbol stood for! Just keep all of us ignorant and everything will be fine. Gonna be REAL hard to teach the Civil War in schools or show movies about it. When will the NASCAB Police be riding up and down the rows of cars in the track parking lots spray painting over the bumper stickers, ripping off the antenna flags or maybe just inspecting the cars at the gates and simply turning people away... until they get their HEADS right? STILL?...driving that thing in front of the LEGIONS of black or other indignant NASCAB fans wouldn't be quite the same as driving circles around the stadium where the NBA is holding their slam-dunk contest and ALL-Star game...would it? But, hey...it's their race
Symbolic free speech has been upheld by courts for many years but NOT where there has been a history of violence because OF it. When was the last riot at a NASCAB race brought on by the display of an unpopular (for some) symbol? But, then, they really just don't want to lose money, that's all.

SurfaceUnits
02-19-12, 06:09 PM
Yeah, what's the difference between Bashir Assad and Abraham Lincoln? About 600,000 dead bodies.

NismoZ
02-19-12, 06:29 PM
Or Abe Lincoln and Mao? About 70 MILLION dead bodies? Yeah, these are funny jokes.

TrueBrit
02-19-12, 08:33 PM
Dear South, you lost, get over it. Love, the north.

opinionated ow
02-19-12, 09:04 PM
from a blog down here, the more inclusive car
rAqPMJFaEdY

Andrew Longman
02-19-12, 09:31 PM
The General Lee, donning the Confederate flag, barred by NASCAR at March race at PIRGood.

nuf said.

Stupid show.

SurfaceUnits
02-20-12, 12:01 AM
Dear South, you lost, get over it. said the two time looser in North America War Games

There are still some people in DC who want to burn down a palace or 2

"The War Crimes and Criminals of the Army of Northern Aggression" Read it

Gnam
02-20-12, 01:45 PM
Bubba Watson, a PGA Tour golfer who purchased the famed General Lee car from the 1980's TV show The Dukes of Hazzard.
I always thought there was a fleet of cars so that at least one General Lee was always available. Besides, wasn't the General Lee grandfathered in under the "Can't we all just get along?" clause of the 1992 Rodney King peace accords?"

NismoZ
02-20-12, 03:57 PM
King broke those accords a long time ago.

Rex Karz
02-20-12, 04:31 PM
Just have "White Sheet Giveaway" to the first 175,000 who enter the stands on race day and be done with it.

mapguy
02-20-12, 08:27 PM
Just have "White Sheet Giveaway" to the first 175,000 who enter the stands on race day and be done with it.

Just make sure it is a low thread count...

trauma1
02-21-12, 12:46 AM
Turn 13where are you:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: