PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Road America

aportinga
02-15-12, 05:11 PM
Anyone planning on heading up for any of the races?

So here are the dates...

May18th - Historics - If the weather is bad it can get nasty but this event is cheap!

June 21st - Nationwide - Should be a good party at least!

July 12th - Redman Challenge - Best show at this track by far!!!

August 16th - ALMS - Too expensive for what you get. If this was a 12 hour race I would be in but whatever.

Sept 7th - Historics - typically great weather and cheap.

There are more but these are the ones I am looking at...

NismoZ
02-15-12, 11:01 PM
Been attending Redman's deal for many a year! Three nights at the Osthoff.:thumbup: (right across the hall from his room once!)

Methanolandbrats
02-15-12, 11:20 PM
Been attending Redman's deal for many a year! Three nights at the Osthoff.:thumbup: (right across the hall from his room once!)

Holy ****, three nights at the OOOsthoff :eek: do you take out a home equity loan? :D

I am going to the Nationwide race, friday bric for the parade, AlMS practice and maybe the fast bikes.

TRDfan
02-15-12, 11:46 PM
Have to get back to RA this year.

Thinking of either Redman or ALMS.

(I sure miss those free VIP tickets)

NismoZ
02-16-12, 12:04 PM
M&B-No home equity, just a very generous cousin, who married a very generous wife (whose family runs a very successful company) run by her brother who owns an Osthoff condo!:thumbup: My cuz' birthday gift is that race weekend! Sweet. Believe me, I know what you mean. I don't belong there but we (4 cousins) sure do enjoy it! Started out in the '60s sleeping in the back of my Corvair, now I get to camp out just down the hall from Paul Newman's old suite! What a wonderful country. We even got to do the R&T banquet a couple of times because the brother had " an agreement" with the Lake Street Cafe. I think he "invested" there for awhile. Who'd a thunk, ME having dinner with Mario, Brian, Phil Hill, David Hobbs...Fabulous stories told THAT night!:) See you at the Friday parade!

Methanolandbrats
02-16-12, 12:20 PM
M&B-No home equity, just a very generous cousin, who married a very generous wife (whose family runs a very successful company) run by her brother who owns an Osthoff condo!:thumbup: My cuz' birthday gift is that race weekend! Sweet. Believe me, I know what you mean. I don't belong there but we (4 cousins) sure do enjoy it! Started out in the '60s sleeping in the back of my Corvair, now I get to camp out just down the hall from Paul Newman's old suite! What a wonderful country. We even got to do the R&T banquet a couple of times because the brother had " an agreement" with the Lake Street Cafe. I think he "invested" there for awhile. Who'd a thunk, ME having dinner with Mario, Brian, Phil Hill, David Hobbs...Fabulous stories told THAT night!:) See you at the Friday parade!

I Ooosthoffed one night during an ALMS weekend. The wife called and they one room for one night for a good price because some ALMS team had wadded up their car and left instead of using their four night minimum stay. We use the beach and rental boats all the time like we were staying there :gomer: I watch the parade form up at RA because I like hearing them all light up, then I go to town for a while. I will pm you before that.

aportinga
02-16-12, 01:38 PM
I Ooosthoffed one night during an ALMS weekend. The wife called and they one room for one night for a good price because some ALMS team had wadded up their car and left instead of using their four night minimum stay. We use the beach and rental boats all the time like we were staying there :gomer: I watch the parade form up at RA because I like hearing them all light up, then I go to town for a while. I will pm you before that.

You homos should be at the track drinking until you pass out!

Methanolandbrats
02-16-12, 01:52 PM
You homos should be at the track drinking until you pass out!

That was an unkind comment :D

NismoZ
02-16-12, 07:24 PM
That reminds me of a story! This one time, at Siebkens...:gomer:

aportinga
02-17-12, 10:39 AM
That was an unkind comment :D

Aww I am sorry...

rocket
02-18-12, 06:58 PM
Probably head up for ALMS in August, just camp at the track. May shoot up there for the day Saturday the 14th since I'll be up in Fontana the following week.

Heading down to Sebring this year as well in a few weeks.

NismoZ
02-20-12, 04:02 PM
I got nuthin' I just wanted to see my name next to all the forums at once. God, I'm bored. Dog sitting!

TrueBrit
02-27-12, 04:15 PM
I got nuthin' I just wanted to see my name next to all the forums at once. God, I'm bored. Dog sitting!

I did that once and Lizzerd got pissed at me...:D

G.
02-28-12, 12:45 AM
I got one of the little g.'s pissed that I didn't take him to a race last year. I'll hit RA for ALMS, maybe try a historical.

NismoZ
02-28-12, 01:47 PM
Walking the streets of Elkhart on Friday night for the race car parade and show is something a kid will NEVER forget. Way better than touring the paddock. Hold on to his hand though, it's CROWDED! The startup and return to the track at dusk is downright exciting! Try watching that down by the corner at the Lake Street Cafe and train station. (one of the original turns from the old pre '55 road/street circuit! LOTS of history there that weekend!) Who's the guest of honor this year? Previous greats were Louis Chiron! Juan Fangio. Mario. Phil Hill. Jim Hall. George Follmer. Many more. Just GO!:D

G.
03-07-12, 12:35 AM
Where are the cool kids camping this year?

chop456
03-07-12, 02:45 AM
No RA the last 2 years. I fear I have lost my mojo. :\

SteveH
03-07-12, 10:31 AM

Same here, I gotta get my mojo back. RA is the place to do it. Shooting for ALMS in August.

Methanolandbrats
03-07-12, 10:48 AM

THey gots WalMart jumbotrons now! THere is a 56" 720/60 across from Canada Corner! :gomer: When it's working and not playing Gehl ads, there is a race feed. :D

nissan gtp
03-07-12, 05:39 PM

yeah, it's that long drive that gets in your way :saywhat:

chop456
03-08-12, 03:26 AM
yeah, it's that long drive that gets in your way :saywhat:

No - it's the apathy. I stopped going to Milwaukee about 5 years ago, too. ;)

Didn't I just see you in Georgia a few months ago? :D

Ripped
03-09-12, 12:15 AM
Anyone planning on heading up for any of the races?

So here are the dates...

May18th - Historics - If the weather is bad it can get nasty but this event is cheap!

June 21st - Nationwide - Should be a good party at least!

July 12th - Redman Challenge - Best show at this track by far!!!

August 16th - ALMS - Too expensive for what you get. If this was a 12 hour race I would be in that but whatever.

Sept 7th - Historics - typically great weather and cheap.

There are more but these are the ones I am looking at...

I'll be at all those except Nationwide unless I'm guilted into attending that one as well by my son. Shoot me a PM when you get settled and I'll come find you and bring that bottle of BALVENIE I've been promising. :cool:

aportinga
03-13-12, 02:45 PM
Where are the cool kids camping this year?

A few of us will be in turn 8 (Toro Bridge - outside the Carousel).

Looks like a stag event - unless you have a woman who likes to drink and cuss - or clean up after us :D

We're just going to use a tent - plan is to eat and drink enough to not worry about the condition of the ground.

aportinga
03-15-12, 03:53 PM
Campsite is listed as "Orange" for this race - Map Below... White - as the map details was the old name for the location - they have not updated this web page.

http://www.roadamerica.com/userfiles/image/camping/CampingWhite.jpg

http://www.roadamerica.com/userfiles/image/camping/CampingWhite.jpg

Campsite cost in this area is $20.00 and weekend race pass is $120.00 per person.

Campsites are reserved when you call or book online and only site #173 and many in the front row are currently taken.

I JUST BOOKED SITE # 157 - at the end .

The entire outside of the carousel is booked so forget it... If you cannot get an outside spot then it's camping right on top of each other the best bet will be the inner outside of turn 8 so 174 or 394/395 may even be decent.

My recommendation is that you guys call and start booking # 158 and down the line from there.

Happy bookings!

Should we start drinking now?

NismoZ
05-19-12, 07:41 PM
Cool, now I know where I can empty all my crap from the car!:)

Racing Truth
06-19-12, 02:12 PM
For those going for the ALMS weekend, don't say you weren't warned. (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/miller-elkhart-or-bust/P1);):D

Gnam
06-19-12, 02:39 PM
from Miller's article

Because there isn’t enough time to properly promote and organize another race [anywhere but RA] – throwing one together at the last minute would be a disaster.

Miller is half right. The race will be a disaster no matter where they hold it.

My only hope is that adding Indy Cars to RA doesn't depress the ALMS audience.

Racing Truth
06-19-12, 03:09 PM
Miller is half right. The race will be a disaster no matter where they hold it.

My only hope is that adding Indy Cars to RA doesn't depress the ALMS audience.

Right on the first part, though piggybacking with ALMS COULD, IMHO, avert total disaster.

On the second part, please tell me you're joking.

NismoZ
06-19-12, 06:21 PM
Kinda sad searching in the outback of the RA paddock for the ChampCar teams at their RA swansong. Little question which series was the feature event that weekend as fans thronged around the ALMS teams and drivers and relatively few wandered back to see the walking dead. Why doesn't ICR team with Grand Am anyway? Seems more logical. Perhaps it's because they'd have to run as the opener for the Conti Tire Challenge guys? :)

Racing Truth
06-19-12, 06:44 PM
Kinda sad searching in the outback of the RA paddock for the ChampCar teams at their RA swansong. Little question which series was the feature event that weekend as fans thronged around the ALMS teams and drivers and relatively few wandered back to see the walking dead. Why doesn't ICR team with Grand Am anyway? Seems more logical. Perhaps it's because they'd have to run as the opener for the Conti Tire Challenge guys? :)

ICS is in Iowa this weekend, when GA and Nationwide are in RA.

Indy
06-19-12, 10:09 PM
RA 2007 was sad. It was primarily an opportunity for the CC team guys to interview for ALMS jobs.

I don't know how I feel about this, since I am going. I guess I will get the chance to judge the new car up close. Does this mean I am a gomer by default? Does it not count if I have been coerced? Will RealRaceFan ever speak to me again? :rofl::gomer:

Methanolandbrats
06-19-12, 10:15 PM
RA 2007 was sad. It was primarily an opportunity for the CC team guys to interview for ALMS jobs.

I don't know how I feel about this, since I am going. I guess I will get the chance to judge the new car up close. Does this mean I am a gomer by default? Does it not count if I have been coerced? Will RealRaceFan ever speak to me again? :rofl::gomer:

I gots tickets too. Don't ahabe a room for sat night and have whole family along. I guess I'll see Mindy cars too. Gut feeling is if they sawzalled the tumors off the thing and added 200 HP, it would be ok. :D

Indy
06-19-12, 10:18 PM
Tent camping. As in, drive home when we sober up. So getting out before the IRL race may be a challenge. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

chop456
06-20-12, 01:29 AM
Right on the first part, though piggybacking with ALMS COULD, IMHO, avert total disaster.

On the second part, please tell me you're joking.

Not joking. I've skipped ALMS at Mid Ohio since the earl polluted it and will skip RA for the same reason.

Racing Truth
06-20-12, 11:09 AM
Not joking. I've skipped ALMS at Mid Ohio since the earl polluted it and will skip RA for the same reason.

:shakehead:shakehead:cry:

I'll say it, then. You give the term "race fan" a bad name. Don't want to see the "earl?" Fine. But you'll skip another race b/c of an association? Yeah, that'll show, uh....NOBODY.:gomer:

gerhard911
06-20-12, 12:37 PM

+1

Napoleon
06-20-12, 12:38 PM
Not joking. I've skipped ALMS at Mid Ohio since the earl polluted it . . .

Same here.

Methanolandbrats
06-20-12, 01:04 PM

I'll say it, then. You give the term "race fan" a bad name. Don't want to see the "earl?" Fine. But you'll skip another race b/c of an association? Yeah, that'll show, uh....NOBODY.:gomer:

"race fan". OK Defender Lite.

Racing Truth
06-20-12, 02:57 PM
Looks like, if Jenna Fryer is right, you should be safe that weekend. No ICS 16th race of the yr.:irked::thumdown:

gerhard911
06-20-12, 03:09 PM
So presumably Izod doesn't GAF either :thumbup:

Easy
06-20-12, 09:01 PM
I am hoping to make this Friday at RA to watch Jacques Villeneuve drive like Steven Wallace and also see some world class road racers competing in a field of diverse chassis and engine combinations that need another 150hp. I'll also make it for ALMS and I won't deny myself the enjoyment of motor racing if the current iteration of a racing series -nearly unrecognizable from the one I didn't like 16 years ago- is there as well.

Not joking, I'm a lover of motorsports and I won't let the pissing contest between a few billionaires (and some with merely 9 figures of accumulated wealth) stop me from enjoying my first love.

chop456
06-20-12, 10:50 PM

I should have known better. You've obviously been happy to pay money to see something you don't like. I'm not. :gomer:

I can pretty much guarantee you that this race fan has been to a lot more races than you, none of them contrived dog waste like the idiotgrandson's failure.

Maybe I should go to the half hot/half fat slob strip club instead of the all-hot one, too. :rofl:

At least defender's funny.

Methanolandbrats
06-20-12, 10:54 PM
I am hoping to make this Friday at RA to watch Jacques Villeneuve drive like Steven Wallace and also see some world class road racers competing in a field of diverse chassis and engine combinations that need another 150hp. I'll also make it for ALMS and I won't deny myself the enjoyment of motor racing if the current iteration of a racing series -nearly unrecognizable from the one I didn't like 16 years ago- is there as well.

I think ya better hold off till saturday to see Jack race. :)

emjaya
06-21-12, 07:44 AM
Jacque? (http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sports/v8-supercars/former-formula-1-champion-jacques-villeneuve-to-race-at-the-townsville-v8-supercars-event/story-fn2ms9um-1226403700019)

Racing Truth
06-21-12, 03:17 PM
I should have known better. You've obviously been happy to pay money to see something you don't like. I'm not. :gomer:

I can pretty much guarantee you that this race fan has been to a lot more races than you, none of them contrived dog waste like the idiotgrandson's failure.

Maybe I should go to the half hot/half fat slob strip club instead of the all-hot one, too. :rofl:

At least defender's funny.

One, sorry, I kinda like the current ON-TRACK product. Yes, there's still a lot wrong w/ IndyCar, but the on-track stuff? Pretty good, IMHO.

Two, again with the TG shot? Hey, I'm game for any shot on him, but in relation to today's ICS, it makes no sense. He has ZERO management role in the series and the series is nothing like the thing he started and ran.

Most of all, just b/c a residual portion of your $$$$ might go to ICS, you'll boycott an entire racing weekend? Go get 'em, champ!:gomer:

gerhard911
06-21-12, 07:50 PM
Most of all, just b/c a residual portion of your $$$$ might go to ICS, you'll boycott an entire racing weekend?

Absofugginloutely.

chop456
06-21-12, 11:22 PM
One, sorry, I kinda like the current ON-TRACK product. Yes, there's still a lot wrong w/ IndyCar, but the on-track stuff? Pretty good, IMHO.

Two, again with the TG shot? Hey, I'm game for any shot on him, but in relation to today's ICS, it makes no sense. He has ZERO management role in the series and the series is nothing like the thing he started and ran.

Most of all, just b/c a residual portion of your $$$$ might go to ICS, you'll boycott an entire racing weekend? Go get 'em, champ!:gomer:

This isn't about "getting them", you dope. It's about spending half of my weekend avoiding things I don't want to see.

I've missed Sebring once since 2004. I've missed the PLM once since 2005. I pay money to have fun. I don't go to shared earl weekends for the same reason I don't jog in the dog park. :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
06-22-12, 02:03 PM
Hay, anybody at Road America now? What are the new TeeVees like? Are they jumbotrons or 46 inch POS from WalMart taped to a tree? Do they play the SPEED/ESPN feed?

Easy
06-22-12, 07:01 PM
Hay, anybody at Road America now? What are the new TeeVees like? Are they jumbotrons or 46 inch POS from WalMart taped to a tree? Do they play the SPEED/ESPN feed?

They're showing practice from Sonoma. The best drivers in the world are destroying all the grass off T2. I've finally figured why there is no green during the ALMS weekend.

NismoZ
06-22-12, 11:21 PM

Methanolandbrats
06-22-12, 11:37 PM

Could ya elaborate a littel bit on that point. :D

NismoZ
07-12-12, 10:15 AM
OK. ***** :) Friday, Deck @ 5, Barefoot Beach/race car parade/Siebkins @ 6:thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
07-12-12, 10:49 AM
Anyone find an entry list for this weekend? Or didn't they post it because all the cool stuff ain't coming?

TRDfan
07-12-12, 08:29 PM
http://www.roadamerica.com/userfiles//HAWK%20Entry%20July%209%20PDF.pdf

11 pages. Enjoy.

Methanolandbrats
07-12-12, 09:20 PM
http://www.roadamerica.com/userfiles//HAWK%20Entry%20July%209%20PDF.pdf

11 pages. Enjoy.

Thanks. I could not find that, you must a geneyus of the interwebs. :gomer:

nissan gtp
07-12-12, 10:23 PM
dang I would love to be up there . :cry:

TRDfan
07-13-12, 09:59 AM
Thanks. I could not find that, you must a geneyus of the interwebs. :gomer:

Google is my friend.

And damm, I wish I was currently en route to RA instead of sitting at my desk writiing proposals.

NismoZ
07-18-12, 04:24 PM
* Good Show

G.
08-15-12, 02:27 PM
Roll call for this weekend?

stroker
08-15-12, 04:05 PM
dang I would love to be up there . :cry:

you and me both. :cry:

TRDfan
08-16-12, 08:39 AM