PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Houston is Gone

JohnHKart
02-11-12, 09:25 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/whitney-houston-superstar-records-films-dies-15565063

She was a trainwreck in later years but I loved her in the eighties. Sad.

TravelGal
02-11-12, 10:10 PM
Isn't this sad... for so many reasons. I saw yesterday that friends were worried about how she looked but I didn't read the article, thinking it was another anorexia of the day article. So much talent in such a troubled life.

trish
02-11-12, 10:14 PM
This is very sad. Goodbye Whitney! :(

RTKar
02-11-12, 11:25 PM
Houston had a problem.

Napoleon
02-12-12, 06:59 AM
What a voice, and so pretty to boot.

Just a really sad story.

TKGAngel
02-12-12, 11:28 AM
I still get chills from her version of the Star Spangled Banner. She could sing, that's for sure.

xS-R7SM_-M4

SurfaceUnits
02-12-12, 07:58 PM
Hank why do you drink?

I'm just following an old family tradition

http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/12/whitney-houston-dead-bobbi-kristina-hospital/#.TzhRqJV5nqc

trish
02-12-12, 10:27 PM
Hank why do you drink?

I'm just following an old family tradition

http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/12/whitney-houston-dead-bobbi-kristina-hospital/#.TzhRqJV5nqc

I feel so bad for her.

KaBoom21
02-13-12, 12:18 AM
Yet that Whitney show on NBC lives on. Cruel world.

TrueBrit
02-13-12, 12:11 PM
I still get chills from her version of the Star Spangled Banner. She could sing, that's for sure.

xS-R7SM_-M4

I'm a 100000000% Brit and that rendition gives ME goosebumps....still....

Elmo T
02-13-12, 04:16 PM
I'm a 100000000% Brit and that rendition gives ME goosebumps....still....

For a song that so many have trouble with, she made it look effortless.

Sad, but like so many before her, this was not a surprise.

Dvdb
02-13-12, 11:47 PM
Shrewd career move, though.

Bet she hits the charts at the end of the week.

Which is ironic as she was a washed up has-been five days ago.

TrueBrit
02-14-12, 01:11 PM
Bet she hits the charts at the end of the week.

Which is exactly why Sony music jacked up the price of her catalogue within hours of her death....:rolleyes:

aportinga
02-14-12, 02:54 PM
Wow - am I an ******* for saying I really don't care? People are free to make choices and she chose to let Brown turn her into his little crack ho.

You get what you pay for.

Now can I please have my news back without this crap anymore??? Isreal wants a go at Iran, Russia backs the Syrian government while we are calling for arming the opposition (proxy war anyone?).

Oh no we cannot see that - we have to talk Whitney Houston 24/7...

Methanolandbrats
02-14-12, 04:11 PM
Wow - am I an ******* for saying I really don't care? People are free to make choices and she chose to let Brown turn her into his little crack ho.

You get what you pay for.

Now can I please have my news back without this crap anymore??? Isreal wants a go at Iran, Russia backs the Syrian government while we are calling for arming the opposition (proxy war anyone?).

Oh no we cannot see that - we have to talk Whitney Houston 24/7...

No, you are not an *******, I don't GAF either. Cult of personality ******** is way, way out of control. Here's some serious news
http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/69122/Khloe-Kardashian-Buys-Sex-Swing-To-Make-Hubby-Lamar-Happy

Don Quixote
02-14-12, 04:15 PM
put me in the dgaf column as well.

cameraman
02-14-12, 04:46 PM
http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/69122/Khloe-Kardashian-Buys-Sex-Swing-To-Make-Hubby-Lamar-Happy

Somehow I had missed that. Thanks ever so much for drawing it to my attention:flame:

High Sided
02-14-12, 06:42 PM
whitney hou? :gomer:

stroker
02-14-12, 07:44 PM
put me in the dgaf column as well.

+1.

At least we're not getting wall to wall coverage as we did with Michael Jackson.

Indy
02-14-12, 08:36 PM
DGAF here. I am sorry for the loss, but why does she matter and the thousands of nobodies who died Saturday do not?

F' Rupert Murdoch and all of the promoters of least common denominator newstainment. I guess there is more profit in selling morons what they want than in trying to educate them, but that doesn't make it right. I want Walter Cronkite back.

Andrew Longman
02-15-12, 02:16 AM
Wow - am I an ******* for saying I really don't care? People are free to make choices and she chose to let Brown turn her into his little crack ho.No. And any slag you can throw at the 24/7 cable news machine is cool

Whitney grew up and lived in my backyard. All the crap with Bobby played out loudly locally so I was exhausted by that long ago.

And I never much liked her style of music, though I appreciate her voice.

But...

I lost five friends last year to addiction. Several had a lot of sobriety and like Whitney had a lot of people hopeful for them. A few struggled badly for a long time to live a successful life, but one in particular was a very successful executive who was found by his kids dead in his basement, drunk and choked on his own vomit.

Yeah, his choice, but for these people they were only one day, one bad choice from death.

So for me, I haven't needed to see barely any coverage of this. Much of it is factless blather. But I do GAF for her struggle to live knowing she will always have the brain of a crack ho and her death.

Indy
02-15-12, 08:31 AM

Ziggy
02-15-12, 08:32 AM
are there any tribute bands gigging in the area? :gomer:

aportinga
02-15-12, 10:31 AM
Well it's good too see some element of ruthlessness (smack) to this place:thumbup:

Frankly I would call it straight forward and bruttaly honest opinion however.

SteveH
02-15-12, 10:55 AM
Candle light vigil for Whitney (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=368079473204973&set=a.204333256246263.57701.100000087690978&type=1&ref=nf)

High Sided
02-15-12, 11:26 AM
Candle light vigil for Whitney (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=368079473204973&set=a.204333256246263.57701.100000087690978&type=1&ref=nf)

:rofl::laugh::rofl:

Andrew Longman
02-15-12, 01:15 PM
Well it's good too see some element of ruthlessness (smack) to this place:thumbup:

Frankly I would call it straight forward and bruttaly honest opinion however.I'm very cool with that.

Bring on the smackness. :D:thumbup:

MoCartt
02-15-12, 02:38 PM
F' Rupert Murdoch and all of the promoters of least common denominator newstainment. I guess there is more profit in selling morons what they want than in trying to educate them, but that doesn't make it right. I want Walter Cronkite back.

I don't think you are ever going to see Walter Cronkite or Edward P. Murrow types ever again.

They had some power in the early days of TV because there were only the three main broadcasting networks. They had the viewers, thus the advertisers and the money which gave them the power position to actually say something of importance and to educate and editorialize.

Today, with the networks now basically all just cable TV programs, they have to fight for every dollar which is harder with lesser numbers of viewership. It seems they do not want to take a stand or report in a way that could be considered the slightest bit controversial, let alone take an unpopular stand. They might lose a viewer or two.

So they are all just *****-footing around reporting whatever they think can be 'entertaining' for their viewers. Little good it does for anyone.

The whole world is just entertainment anymore...and it seems all they want to do is give confirmation to the stupidity no matter how much cringe factor is involved.

Meanwhile the society grows dumber...

:irked:

Edit...this is a fine example of word filtering totally killing a phrase that has nothing to do with the filter in the first place.

G.
02-16-12, 12:18 AM
I'm very cool with that.

Bring on the smackness. :D:thumbup:

Dammit. I wish I saw what Indy posted....

:eek:

nrc
02-16-12, 02:39 AM
We used to watch the TLC show "Addicted" from time to time. Probably in some futile hope that a secret would be revealed that could help us deal with the individuals in our lives that suffer from addiction of some form or another. But it doesn't take long for slow motion self destruction to become just as tiresome on TV as it is in real life. You become hardened to sob stories and everyone else's fault. Everybody's got a story.

So when it's a celeb that has enjoyed a lot of success and whose "hard times" would probably seem pretty tame by most standards, it's tough to feel a lot of angst that someone made bad choices, burnt through their fortune, and flamed out. Yes, it's sad. So are most addict deaths.

Indy
02-17-12, 09:32 AM
So when it's a celeb that has enjoyed a lot of success and whose "hard times" would probably seem pretty tame by most standards, it's tough to feel a lot of angst that someone made bad choices, burnt through their fortune, and flamed out. Yes, it's sad. So are most addict deaths.

It comes down to the basic problem with human nature and how we see ourselves, as beings of will, versus how we are, beings of biology. Was Whitney to blame for her addiction? Once addicted, it requires supreme will to overcome the brain chemistry. But she certainly chose to stick that crack pipe in her mouth at some point in time. But was that really her choosing, or is she a victim of circumstance, her upbringing, and her genetic makeup?

Having lost someone to addiction, I can tell you that the grieving emotion that sticks the longest is anger, because in your heart you know they chose that path. But in time as you watch yourself make dumb mistakes that remind you of them and you witness the pain and cruelty people endure in this world, you begin to understand that we are not as in control of our destinies as we would like to believe.

It occurs to me often that anyone who does not suffer from depression at times is a fool or a sociopath. This is a tough world for most people, and fame and fortune do not necessarily make it better. I choose not to judge her -- I just wish all who are in so much pain would receive the same amount of sympathy.

Indy
02-17-12, 09:33 AM
Dammit. I wish I saw what Indy posted....

:eek:

I think it was something stupid and insensitive, so I took it down. I can't remember now.

High road, Indy, remain on the high road...

Indy
02-17-12, 09:35 AM
Meanwhile the society grows dumber...

:irked:

I am a firm believer in the inspired prophesy of Idiocracy,

aportinga
02-17-12, 10:41 AM
Dion and R Kelly at the funeral - tarot cards and golden showers for everyone!!!

I wonder if Bob Brown will be passing out any 8 ball during the half time show.

Wish I could go:cry:

SteveH
02-17-12, 01:01 PM
Dion and R Kelly at the funeral - tarot cards and golden showers for everyone!!!

So I'm thinking "wtf?"

Dion
http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/images/list/306x306/b6db8d1789174ade0a191694566871cf2c111939.jpg

Dionne
http://image.lyricspond.com/image/d/artist-dionne-warwick/album-dionne-warwick-sings-the-bacharach-david-songbook/cd-cover.jpg

:gomer:

High Sided
04-04-12, 07:05 PM
Toxicology testing measured .58 micrograms of cocaine per milliliter of blood drawn from a vein in her right leg during the autopsy, the report said. The report did not explain the significance or effects of that level in a person's body.

Her cocaine use appeared to have occurred "in the time period just immediately prior to her collapse in the bathtub at the hotel," Chief Coroner Craig Harvey told reporters last month when he released the preliminary report.

Investigators found "a small spoon with a white crystal like substance in it and a rolled up piece of white paper" in the bathroom where Houston drowned, coroner's investigator Kristy McCracken wrote.

"Remnants of a white powdery substance" were found on a bathroom counter, McCracken wrote.

"I also collected remnants of a white powdery substance from out of a drawer and from the bottom of a mirror in the same drawer in the bathroom counter," she wrote.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/04/showbiz/whitney-houston-toxicology/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

cameraman
04-04-12, 11:27 PM
Toxicology testing measured .58 micrograms of cocaine per milliliter of blood drawn from a vein in her right leg during the autopsy

Well 4 ug/ml is routinely considered to be a near fatal blood level so she was 1/8 of the way there.

Andrew Longman
04-05-12, 12:02 AM
Well 4 ug/ml is routinely considered to be a near fatal blood level so she was 1/8 of the way there.Yes. And I know a few drunks who passed the roadside tests, but because of their stink the cops had them blow. And they tested high .3s and mid .4s. They seemed perfectly normal but would be dead if they were anyone else.

Funny thing. :shakehead

Thing with coke though is over time it messes up you heart such that any next dose can kill you.