PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Bowl XLVI

nrc
02-06-12, 01:51 AM
Pretty thin crop again this year. What's the world coming to when the Super Bowl is frequently more interesting than the commercials?

I think the VW dog/starwars bit is probably the winner.
Runner-up to the Kia Optima bit
Honorable mention to the Doritos dog
Honorable mention to the Chevy end of the world (Although I think they should have had some women in comfortable shoes pull up in S-10s).

TravelGal
02-06-12, 02:00 AM
You mean you didn't like the Teleflora Valentine's Day lady? That followed by the Doritos dog was great. I got a laugh out of the Budweiser horses RUNNING to get the beer to the bars after prohibition ended. Honestly, we never saw the Star Wars dogs and I swear I did not FF through anything.

nrc
02-06-12, 03:21 AM
You mean you didn't like the Teleflora Valentine's Day lady? That followed by the Doritos dog was great. I got a laugh out of the Budweiser horses RUNNING to get the beer to the bars after prohibition ended. Honestly, we never saw the Star Wars dogs and I swear I did not FF through anything.

There was a Teleflora ad? Oh. That one. Yeah, that got my attention but I didn't think it had much impact beyond eye candy. The Kia ad managed to work in some eye candy while being entertaining enough to sustain my attention. Come to think of it, the Fiat Abarth would have been near the top for me if it had been a new spot.

Michaelhatesfans
02-06-12, 03:28 AM
WTF is up with people who "just watch it for the commercials"? They'll watch four hours of a game they're not even remotely interested in rather than just spending ten minutes on youtube and then just getting on with the day???
:confused::confused::confused:

Andrew Longman
02-06-12, 09:44 AM
The Teleflora ad was OK but the Chrysler 200 was far better for sexy. ;)

My SIL loved the Teleflora ad and was loud about it. I asked my wife why she was so into it and she reminded me that the BIL does a pretty piss poor job every year with Valentines Day.

Clint's Halftime in America did something for me.

CareerBuilder as usual :thumbup:

Companies are starting to spoil the SB Commercial deal because most are released earlier on the web. Acura NSX :D:thumbup: But the extended version on innerweb much better.

dando
02-06-12, 09:59 AM
Honestly, we never saw the Star Wars dogs and I swear I did not FF through anything.

The VW Bark Side spot has been running for weeks, and was not shown last night. The new spot was the Dog Strikes Back where a Golden works out so he can fit through the dog door to run with the new beetle, followed by a spoof on the Star Wars cantina scene with Kid Vader (from last year's The Force) making an appearance.

-Kevin

TKGAngel
02-06-12, 10:11 AM
What was very cool about last night's ads was that Coke was deciding on the spot what versions of the polar bear ads to run. Coke execs were at NBC HQ and were allocating the polar bear creative based on what team was most in need of a drink at the moment.

I thought the eye candy was pretty well spread out this year. The gentlemen had Lima to look at and the ladies were treated to Beckham. Mmm. Beckham.

Where was I? Oh yeah, I thought Danica looked very pretty during her GD spots, but she would have looked even better if the makeup gun had not been set to whore.

As for sheer laugh-out-loud-ness, the Doritos dog, the M&Ms ad and the sliding Geico piggy were my favorites.

dando
02-06-12, 10:37 AM
Overall pretty lame. I was watching on a delay, I skipped what I could to try to catch up, so I missed the movie trailers and what not. The Doritos bribe spot made me LOL, the Seinfeld NSX spot was OK, the Bueller Honda spot was just OK in its shortened version (but I had already seen the full version). I also enjoyed the Dog Strikes Back and Weego. The Bud Prohibition spot was also decent, and I thought the Eastwood/Chrysler spot was well done but hypocritical in that Chrysler is now foreign owned. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
02-06-12, 10:39 AM
I'm glad the Polar Bears have ice cold Coke to drink, a couple more decades and they will need a cool drink.

Napoleon
02-06-12, 10:41 AM
CareerBuilder as usual :thumbup:

I saw very little of the game but did see that one this morning. You can not go wrong with Chimps.

TrueBrit
02-06-12, 11:25 AM
The Bud Prohibition spot was also decent..... but hypocritical in that Chrysler is now foreign owned. :saywhat:
-Kevin

..as is Buttwiper...

TravelGal
02-06-12, 12:12 PM
The VW Bark Side spot has been running for weeks, and was not shown last night. The new spot was the Dog Strikes Back where a Golden works out so he can fit through the dog door to run with the new beetle, followed by a spoof on the Star Wars cantina scene with Kid Vader (from last year's The Force) making an appearance.

-Kevin

Thank you! We generally don't see ads so I didn't know it wasn't new. Loved the work out dog though. We both laughed all the way through it. Also laughed all the way through the M&M's one and realized what tools we were to be so amused--but laughed again. The Fiat Abarth ad :thumbup: although the juxtaposition of an extremely beautiful model and a butt ugly vehicle may not have been the best idea.

dando
02-06-12, 01:22 PM
..as is Buttwiper...

True. Sam Adams is now the largest US-owned brewery. :eek: @ least Bud wasn't playing up US values and patriotism per se. Like I said, well done, but a mixed message all things considered. :saywhat: And for those playing along @ home or work:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/21/autos/chrysler_government_exit/index.htm

:irked:

-Kevin

Ankf00
02-06-12, 01:49 PM
there were commercials on last night? :confused:

only noticed a few, generally they were A-B ones, bad ones at that. hyundai had a bunch of spots? don't remember seeing the VW ones.

personally feel like it's been all downhill since the early to mid 90's SB's

dando
02-06-12, 02:34 PM
hyundai had a bunch of spots?

Kia.

-Kevin

Gnam
02-06-12, 04:47 PM
The barrel roll of the Chevy hatchback was pretty cool.

dando
02-06-12, 05:47 PM
Clint's Halftime in America did something for me.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/detroit-comeback-ad-filmed-new-orleans-la_621036.html

Filmed in NOLA and LaLa. :shakehead

-Kevin

Indy
02-06-12, 11:20 PM
True. Sam Adams is now the largest US-owned brewery. :eek: @ least Bud wasn't playing up US values and patriotism per se. Like I said, well done, but a mixed message all things considered. :saywhat: And for those playing along @ home or work:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/21/autos/chrysler_government_exit/index.htm

:irked:

-Kevin

$1.3 Billion. So, for less than the price of one stealth death machine we saved thousands of American jobs. Seems like a good deal to me. :thumbup:

nrc
02-06-12, 11:53 PM
Let's stay on topic.

KLang
02-07-12, 12:48 AM
Clint has stated publicly that he opposed the auto bailouts. I'm curious to hear what, if anything, he says about his involvement in the ad.

Tifosi24
02-07-12, 08:28 AM
Clint has stated publicly that he opposed the auto bailouts. I'm curious to hear what, if anything, he says about his involvement in the ad.

The check cleared.

dando
02-07-12, 09:10 AM

http://nation.foxnews.com/clint-eastwood/2012/02/06/clint-eastwood-i-am-certainly-not-affiliated-mr-obama

Following the fall out over the controversial Chrysler Super Bowl halftime ad, Clint Eastwood spoke exclusively with O’Reilly Factor producer Ron Mitchell…

"I just want to say that the spin stops with you guys, and there is no spin in that ad. On this I am certain.

l am certainly not politically affiliated with Mr. Obama. It was meant to be a message about just about job growth and the spirit of America. I think all politicians will agree with it. I thought the spirit was OK.

I am not supporting any politician at this time.

Chrysler to their credit didn’t even have cars in the ad.

Anything they gave me for it went for charity.

If any Obama or any other politician wants to run with the spirit of that ad, go for it."

Read more: http://nation.foxnews.com/clint-eastwood/2012/02/06/clint-eastwood-i-am-certainly-not-affiliated-mr-obama#ixzz1lhXQKNYU

-Kevin

KLang
02-07-12, 10:02 AM
Thanks Dando.

gjc2
02-07-12, 11:01 AM
$1.3 Billion. So, for less than the price of one stealth death machine we saved thousands of American jobs. Seems like a good deal to me. :thumbup:

The auto bail-outs prevented the companies from seeking chapter 11 bankruptcy protections. Chapter 11 would have (among other things) allowed them to break contracts, labor and otherwise.

Most companies that are granted chapter 11 status survive

The bail-outs really bailed out the unions.

Napoleon
02-07-12, 11:19 AM
The auto bail-outs prevented the companies from seeking chapter 11 bankruptcy protections. Chapter 11 would have (among other things) allowed them to break contracts, labor and otherwise.

??

Nice talking point which ignores that fact that, you know, both GM and Chryler (i) went into bankruptcy as part of the auto bail out and (ii) reworked their labor contracts as part of the process.

nrc
02-07-12, 11:42 AM
Summary of the Chrysler ad; Rah, rah, we're screwing together Fiats. Go America.

Topic is super bowl commercials. Next post not on topic closes the thread.

dando
02-07-12, 01:08 PM
Summary of the Chrysler ad; Rah, rah, we're screwing together Fiats. Go America.

Topic is super bowl commercials. Next post not on topic closes the thread.

Sorry, boss. I didn't mean to pee in the pool. ;) My comments were not intended to start a political discussion, but rather to comment on the nature of the commercial, and the controversy/discussion it has sparked. I didn't find the ad political, I just found it hypocritical since Chrysler is now owned by Fiat. The fact that it was not filmed in Detroit just compounds the stupidity. As TB noted, Bud is also guilty of flag waving and being foreign-owned, but Bud also has deeper roots in the American psyche than Chrysler.

-Kevin

nrc
02-07-12, 02:16 PM
Yes, I'm not sure how the guys who landed on Anzio would feel about all this flag waving when we're really talking about screwing together Fiats and sticking Jeep labels on them.

Napoleon
02-07-12, 03:38 PM
Yes, I'm not sure how the guys who landed on Anzio would feel about all this flag waving when we're really talking about screwing together Fiats and sticking Jeep labels on them.

You remind me of the days when I was young and use to see bumper stickers around my hometown (a steel town) like “Mitsubishi – from the people who brought you Pearl Harbor.”

Seriously though, I know they are going to import some of their lines to the US, but aren’t the bigger cars, vans and Jeeps still going to be basically designed and built here?

Methanolandbrats
02-07-12, 03:56 PM

I think you just closed your own thread :D

nrc
02-07-12, 05:24 PM
I think you just closed your own thread :D

Nope, it's not political to say that it's silly and a little sad for foreign owned company to appeal to patriotism.

Indy
02-07-12, 09:40 PM
Haha, nrc, thanks for the laugh.

Indy
02-07-12, 09:46 PM

And for the record, I think both parties participated in making the bailouts happen, which really was a moment of clarity when the politicians dropped the partisanship and did the right thing. I just think that saving the U.S auto industry was a good thing, simple as that. That is not political unless your biases force you to interpret me as taking sides (which I am not in this case).

And, on topic, how about that dog/pony/clown/stripper commercial? Awesome. :laugh: