PDA

View Full Version : Autobahn

Napoleon
01-18-12, 05:01 PM
Has anyone here ever been to or ran the Autobahn track in Joilet?

chop456
01-18-12, 11:57 PM
No, but I've eaten fried chicken at White Fence Farm in Joliet. Close enough? :gomer:

grungex
01-19-12, 12:17 AM
I have, what would you like to know?

NismoZ
01-19-12, 12:32 AM
Sure. Several times. Races and lapping in the Z. Both courses and combined. Their spectator "Grand Prix" only ran twice but it was a fun weekend, great for photos. Got to meet Simona and Frankie there, ran a school day with the Lotus chief test driver as special guest. Couldn't catch him! The last "major" race meet was pretty much an all Mazda affair and I missed that one. Haven't heard much in the way of future events but the Country Club aspect seems to be doing OK.

NismoZ
01-19-12, 01:04 AM
Plenty of Youtube stuff from there. You might enjoy the Skip Barber in-car vids. They use Mazda power now, right?

Napoleon
01-19-12, 06:36 AM
grungex, NismoZ and anyone else,

Just interested in your over alll impressions of the track and facility, both as a driver and spectator. I will check out the Youtube videos.

Rex Karz
01-19-12, 08:48 AM
No, but I've thrown up near the I-80 and I-55 interchange.

the weebler
01-19-12, 12:34 PM
The facilities are really nice as are the people that belong or have their cars stored on the grounds. Just make sure you never go off track as you will expect a bill for new sod. :thumbup:

Getting to the track is a bit weird, but the smell of the refinery makes up for it.

The North Circuit is pretty lame to be honest. The Southern Circuit is definitely preferable. Running the full course is obviously the best of the three options, but Autobahn usually limits what clubs or groups get to do so based on $$$.

If you're curious, there's an opportunity to run if for free coming up in March. A local club hosts a free drivers school that is mostly indoor, but you do get track time as well.

SteveH
01-19-12, 12:43 PM
No, but I've thrown up near the I-80 and I-55 interchange.

Who hasn't?

Chop, you too?

NismoZ
01-19-12, 01:07 PM
The Youtube "Skip Barber Autobahn" search gets you to Scott Hargrove's video from his race there last summer. It's 9:49 long, gives you a GREAT feel for the course and gives views that MUST bring back memories?:) He looks pretty good for a 15 yr. old. Moving up to 2000s this year. Good luck, kid!

the weebler
01-19-12, 02:20 PM
Check out Hargrove's video from his test at Blackhawk Farms in the wet. :thumbup:

I believe it was his first time there.

NismoZ
01-19-12, 02:43 PM
Or the race at Lime Rock! WOW! Talk about IMPRESSIVE! Hadn't watched that one before. He sure knew how to carry speed out of the final turn...and can you say " late braking?" Go SCOTT!

grungex
01-19-12, 08:26 PM
I have to disagree with weebler, the North circuit is quite fun and challenging. Very much a handling course. South circuit has some corners that will drive you nuts, and if you're a speed demon you'll love the back straight (I'm not). Full course can be fun, but 21(?) turns is a lot to remember. The connector between the two courses is quite fun, you might even go airborne.

The facilities are great and the staff knows what they're doing. Much depends on who is running the event, of course.

I wouldn't really consider it as a spectator track, but I haven't been to the Rahal shindig. I don't think there's much in the way of viewing access compared to other tracks, but it was built to be a club track.

the weebler
01-20-12, 09:58 AM
grungex is right on that it's a good track if you're a speed demon. It's a lot of slam on the gas slam on the brakes action. It's almost like what you could expect driving on a Tilkedrome. It's still a fun track nonetheless, but if you're more into tracks that involve a drifting approach to the corners, you will be disappointed. All my opinion of course.

I don't even think the Rahal Legends of Motorsports exists any more. Rahal put up $2 million of his own money to start that thing, and I'm quite sure from what I've been told that he has seen no return on it. Not that anyone is going to shed a tear for him.:p He's still got his property at Autobahn.

MoCartt
01-20-12, 12:16 PM
I don't even think the Rahal Legends of Motorsports exists any more. Rahal put up $2 million of his own money to start that thing, and I'm quite sure from what I've been told that he has seen no return on it. Not that anyone is going to shed a tear for him.:p He's still got his property at Autobahn.

Awww...Bobby's dream of an American Goodwood Series probably dead.

Are you sure he put anything of his own into that failure? It is not the way he usually works it...he operates on OPM.

I had heard that all he did was lend his name to it...for a fee.

It was going to be great 'cuz Zak Brown said so. But then, Zak was absent in only their second season. That ol' Brown magic...

:gomer: