PDA

View Full Version : Worse excuse ever.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Napoleon
01-18-12, 03:29 PM
"I accidentally abandoned ship" (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/19/world/europe/costa-concordia-italy-cruise-ship-rescue-suspended.html?hp)

Gnam
01-18-12, 04:47 PM
"I tripped and I ended up in one of the boats."

-Capitan Schettino
I think I've heard that one before, but it was about a secretary not a life boat.

IROC = Italian Retard Out Cruising :shakehead

Ankf00
01-18-12, 04:51 PM
:gomer:

TravelGal
01-18-12, 05:00 PM
Let's not get on the Italians. There was also Captain Roberto Bosio, on board not in any official capacity, who took control. HE gave the order to abandon ship. He said he and some of the crew just looked each other in the eye for a moment, realized they had to act, and did. He was seen helping women and children into lifeboats. He said he didn't want to be called a hero because it was the worst day of his life. Besides my daily briefings, I've found the best coverage at telegraph.co.uk

Michaelhatesfans
01-18-12, 05:10 PM
Right up there with, "I was just doing some naked housecleaning, I accidentally fell on it, and it just got stuck up there..."

Napoleon
01-18-12, 05:38 PM
Let's not get on the Italians. There was also Captain Roberto Bosio, on board not in any official capacity, who took control.

I had not heard that. I looked up one of the stories about him and it says the dimwit captain who accidently abandoned ship reported something like 10 minutes after the impact that everything was OK. After passengers kept on calling the Coast Guard that they had wrecked they got back in touch with the dimwit captain. Did he think no one would notice that he sunk the boat?

nrc
01-18-12, 07:07 PM
The transcript of the Italian Coast Guard's interaction with Schettino (the cruise ship captain) is shocking.

Schettino: “But do you realize it is dark and here we can't see anything…”

De Falco: “And so what? You want to go home, Schettino? It is dark and you want to go home? Get on that prow of the boat using the pilot ladder and tell me what can be done, how many people there are and what their needs are. Now!”http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2012/01/costa-concordia-italian-coast-guard.html

Napoleon
01-18-12, 08:25 PM
The transcript of the Italian Coast Guard's interaction with Schettino (the cruise ship captain) is shocking.

The part where the Coast Guard commander said "Get back on board, for ----’s sake!" is now appearing on Italian t-shirts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022477/Costa-Concordia-Italians-buy-t-shirts-with-Get-back-on-board-for-s-sake-logo.html

EDwardo
01-18-12, 09:22 PM
The theme tune to Hollywood blockbuster Titanic was playing in the Costa Concordia as it suddenly foundered on rocks, Swiss survivors revealed on Wednesday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022349/Costa-Concordia-Titanic-theme-tune-played-as-cruise-ship-hit-rocks.html

Anteater
01-18-12, 10:04 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022902/Costa-Concordia-captains-actions-disgraceful-says-cruise-ships-reluctant-hero.html

Also with him [in the lifeboat] was Dimitri Christidis, the Greek second in command of the Concordia and Silvia Coronica, the third officer, according to La Repubblica newspaper.
I guess Christides and Coronica must have slipped and fallen into the lifeboat, too. What pathetic excuses for men! :flame:

chop456
01-18-12, 11:54 PM
Seems to be a Med thing. Some Greek captain did the same thing a while back.

"I can supervise the evacuation better by leaving".

Jail's too good for this scumbag. :thumdown:

SteveH
01-19-12, 12:06 AM
And Tony George resigned from the IMS board after doing essentially the same thing.

Dave99
01-19-12, 12:35 AM
"I tripped and I ended up in one of the boats."

-Capitan Schettino

I think I've heard that one before, but it was about a secretary not a life boat.
I think I've heard that one before, too, but it was about a Pickle Slicer not a secretary.

Ziggy
01-19-12, 08:56 AM
Maybe he felt it important to make it to shore, switch his career to journalism, and write the harrowing tale for all to learn from :gomer:

Indy
01-19-12, 09:46 AM
The theme tune to Hollywood blockbuster Titanic was playing in the Costa Concordia as it suddenly foundered on rocks, Swiss survivors revealed on Wednesday.

That seals it for me. Sinking ships I can handle, but trapped on a ship with Hollywood theme tunes? You'll never get me on a cruise. :laugh:

Don Quixote
01-19-12, 02:18 PM
Better excuse coming perhaps: He was distracted by the blonde on the bridge?

link (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9024768/Costa-Concordia-investigators-probe-role-of-young-Moldovan-woman-on-cruise-ship.html)

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02113/costa-concordia_2113573b.jpg

Napoleon
01-19-12, 03:47 PM

From the story you link to:

in what was apparently a ‘salute’ to an old friend of the captain’s

Is that what kids are calling it these days?

Ankf00
01-19-12, 04:27 PM
Captain sighted clueless at his home in Sorrento

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/06/21/business/Adco/Adco-popup.jpg

NismoZ
01-19-12, 05:32 PM
Of course, to make things even more interesting, the pretty little "translator" isn't even listed on the manifest. Hmmmm, I wonder whose cabin she was staying in? I bet she'll be a trial witness, though and a "friendly" one at that! Says the Captain was a hero and saved perhaps 1000s of lives...and she just may be right! The guy may have been showing off and run his ship into some rocks but that was MILES from where it ended up. I think the mistaken impression most of us originally got was one of the ship being accidentally run onto the rocks along the coast then it tipped on it's side, where it still rests...precariously I understand and in danger of sliding completely below the surface. No, he maneuvered the ship to the coast ( recounted in a passenger interview) as it was already listing and in a sense parked it on a rock shelf so when it DID sink it would merely settle, not sink, and passengers could be rescued with FAR less loss of life? I heard a radio interview from an American who said when he finally got onto deck...after being awakened by the announcement of the power outage (and NOT shaken awake by the collision with the rocks?...strange.)...he could see land "about 10 miles away." Did the Captain think he could make port? Was he thinking lives could be saved by getting closer to land? No question there was a long delay in reporting and even denials of any emergency and all kinds of mistakes made that led to hitting the rocks in the first place, BUT...could he have saved lives by getting that ship to the coastline where it DIDN'T sink? I wonder if that will be a part of his defense? It's the only one I can think of. Now, about the little stowaway. The world wants to know!:D

SteveH
01-21-12, 05:07 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/406534_348638531822168_100000280725382_1368045_130 2467916_n.jpg

Methanolandbrats
01-21-12, 05:16 PM

link (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9024768/Costa-Concordia-investigators-probe-role-of-young-Moldovan-woman-on-cruise-ship.html)

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02113/costa-concordia_2113573b.jpg

I'll bet she has thick calluses on her knees and that caused the whole thing.

Don Quixote
01-23-12, 08:52 AM
This can't be true, but I heard on the radio that the cruiseline is offering 30% off the next cruise as compensation to the passengers.

"Our hotshot captain tried to kill you. Sorry. Here's 30 percent off the highly inflated price of your next cruise."

WickerBill
01-23-12, 09:41 AM
This can't be true, but I heard on the radio that the cruiseline is offering 30% off the next cruise as compensation to the passengers.

"Our hotshot captain tried to kill you. Sorry. Here's 30 percent off the highly inflated price of your next cruise."

Yep... it's all over the high-class sites, like the Post and RadarOnline:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/wait_there_more_PidmMh9ghuAW2ZOYYtYR7J

NismoZ
01-23-12, 01:08 PM
30%!? WOW! I'm there! Who's with me!? Do I get a blonde hottie? PS...two bodies found in the "Internet Cafe" on board...:( and maybe MORE who weren't on the manifest? Helluva way to run a cruise line.)

Methanolandbrats
01-23-12, 01:54 PM
I cannot understand why anyone would go on a cruise. You are locked up and have no escape. The crew is a bunch of perverts and losers. You have a very good chance of contracting food borne illness and spending the entire cruise shitting your pants. And all that costs thousands of dollars. Even at 30% off, it's way too expensive. :D

chop456
01-23-12, 02:10 PM
No way, dude. Some lines have an all you can drink package. By the time I'm done, the whole family's essentially vacationed for free. :D

TravelGal
01-23-12, 04:14 PM

It is true. It is part of the package offer including a full refund for the cruise taken. Completely inadequate. :shakehead The problem is that there is a limit set by law as to the cap on the entire process. Nevertheless (from today's ARTA briefing)
This weekend, passengers were also being sent letters by Costa detailing how to claim for lost valuables and offering a full refund on the voyage. Lawyers plan to sue both in the US and in Italy, with more than 100 passengers already reported to have joined a class action that is to be lodged in Miami this week. Each is reported to be demanding between £100,000 ($148,500) and £1 million in compensation.

TravelGal
01-24-12, 11:42 AM
Today's clarification. This still ain't gonna cut it, IMHO.
Travel Pulse By Theresa Norton Masek
January 23, 2012 10:44 PM

Costa Cruises will refund the full cost of the cruise and travel expenses for all guests who were on the Costa Concordia when it ran aground Jan. 13. The company said it will reimburse all travel expenses incurred both reaching the port of embarkation and on the homeward journey, including any independent arrangements made for transfers. Any onboard expenses also will be refunded, any credit card charges will be credited to the account and any cash deposits will be refunded. Costa also will reimburse any medical expenses incurred as a result of the accident.

“Every effort will be made to return the valuables left in the cabin safe,” the cruise line said. “Information on the return of personal belongings and other forms of compensation will be communicated.”

Costa issued the statement on Jan. 23 after some media outlets reported that the line was only offering 30 percent off future cruise coupons to those on the ship. In fact, the 30 percent future cruise discount, in addition to a full refund, was for people scheduled to sail on Costa Concordia from Jan. 14 onward.

Anteater
01-25-12, 12:50 PM
It just gets better and better:

"My bosses made me do it" (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9037602/Costa-Concordia-captain-Francesco-Schettino-under-intense-pressure-to-sail-close-to-Giglio.html)
:shakehead

Don Quixote
01-25-12, 12:57 PM
It just gets better and better:

:shakehead

Francesco Schettino, the captain of the Costa Concordia, was secretly recorded by police claiming that his bosses put him under intense pressure to sail the cruise ship close to Giglio island in order to present a spectacle to passengers.

Well, the passengers did get a spectacle.

Methanolandbrats
01-25-12, 12:59 PM
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02109/Schettino-Commanda_2109821b.jpg :rofl: right outta Loveboat.

Rex Karz
01-25-12, 01:10 PM
Well, the passengers did get a spectacle.

Yea, the floor show became the wall show.

Don Quixote
01-25-12, 02:11 PM
:rofl: right outta Loveboat.Great, now I have that damn song stuck in my head. :D

Methanolandbrats
01-25-12, 02:39 PM
m_wFEB4Oxlo

cameraman
01-26-12, 09:59 PM
Just how screwed up is Italy? There will be no safety or maritime engineering investigation into why the ship sank until after they have the criminal prosecution of the Captain. That trial could take years. A normal nation would wait for their version of the NTSB report before they pressed charges:shakehead

Ankf00
01-26-12, 10:14 PM
Just how screwed up is Italy? There will be no safety or maritime engineering investigation into why the ship sank until after they have the criminal prosecution of the Captain. That trial could take years. A normal nation would wait for their version of the NTSB report before they pressed charges:shakehead

foxy knoxy

TravelGal
01-26-12, 10:21 PM
As long as this thread is still perking along, I'll post this link. I hope some of you with more knowledge of marine matters and/or physics can tell me if these assertions of "heroic measures" make sense.

Canada's National Post has a an article with great graphics and timelines showing the path of the ship from the time it hit the rock until it keeled over on other rocks. It makes it easier to understand just what happened.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/20/graphic-the-final-moments-of-the-costa-concordia/

Kiwifan
01-26-12, 11:02 PM
Thanks Gal, we knew you would come up with the scoop. :-)

Got a letter from the President of HAL this morning explaining how seriously they take passengers safety. Comforting to know seeing how I'm up for two cruises this year. ;-)

KLang
01-27-12, 10:22 AM
Good graphic TravelGal. :thumbup:

Some of the early reports had it that they had used the anchor to turn around.

Methanolandbrats
01-27-12, 10:32 AM
Why not beach it when he first crashed into the rock? Seems like steering out to sea and trying for the port made things a lot worse. With all that crew on board you would think somebody would notice how quickly it was filling with water and tell Captain Nemo to "park the bitch".

Napoleon
01-27-12, 11:37 AM
Why not beach it when he first crashed into the rock?

From the pictures I can find on line and the satalitte view on Google Maps (go to 42.362325,10.920625 ) there may not really be a beach. On thing from the overhead view though it it looks like the "ground" of that island drops rapidly once it hits the water and that there is not much of a shelf around that island. The rock the boat is next to is above the point I give you above for the port and it appears that the land shelf extends just a little to the south east of the rock. No wonder they fear that thing sliding into thet deep.

Methanolandbrats
01-27-12, 11:54 AM
ok, got it, it's on the edge of a cliff. I watched a show where they raised a giant ship by plugging the hole, attaching giant air bags and then pumping the water out. I guess that operation would be a lot riskier in this situation. Maybe they should just pump the fuel out and send it to the bottom. It would be a really luxurious place for fish to live. :D

G.
01-27-12, 12:44 PM
Why not beach it when he first crashed into the rock? Seems like steering out to sea and trying for the port made things a lot worse. With all that crew on board you would think somebody would notice how quickly it was filling with water and tell Captain Nemo to "park the bitch".

I think it was going way too fast for that. Would have injured/killed people.

TravelGal's graphic shows how he was scrubbing speed.

Disclaimer: I am neither Popeye, nor do I own a canoe.

Ankf00
01-27-12, 12:46 PM
if he was a better kayaker he woulda known how to balance the boat better :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
01-27-12, 12:49 PM
I think it was going way too fast for that. Would have injured/killed people.

TravelGal's graphic shows how he was scrubbing speed.

Disclaimer: I am neither Popeye, nor do I own a canoe.

Ya, I guess 15-0 in 100 feet with something that big would be kinda violent. :gomer: gomer fizzicks.

Gnam
01-27-12, 12:58 PM
I wonder if the ship had been allowed to sink in deeper water if the listing would have been reduced. A more upright ship might have allowed more time for the passengers to get into the lifeboats.

Also it's absolutely inexcuseable that the bridge did not radio the coast guard immediately after the ship struck the reef. SOS is a very brief message.

Great graphic TravelGal. :thumbup:

Napoleon
01-27-12, 01:46 PM
ok, got it, it's on the edge of a cliff. I watched a show where they raised a giant ship by plugging the hole, attaching giant air bags and then pumping the water out. I guess that operation would be a lot riskier in this situation. Maybe they should just pump the fuel out and send it to the bottom. It would be a really luxurious place for fish to live. :D

NPR on their morning show today had a guy who owns a salvage company talk about how to salvage the boat.

http://www.npr.org/2012/01/27/145950491/how-do-you-take-apart-a-floating-city

dando
01-27-12, 01:54 PM

Basically that's the plan, but it will take weeks to pump out all of the fuel from what I've heard. The fear is that it will slip off its current perch and sink into the 200' drop off, crushing the fuel tanks and causing a huge eco disaster.

-Kevin

Gnam
01-27-12, 02:09 PM
This one time on mythbusters they used ping pong balls to refloat a sunken ship. :gomer:

Rex Karz
01-27-12, 06:20 PM
And this one time at band camp, we all farted into balloons to refloat this sunken rowboat. :gomer:

RaceGrrl
01-27-12, 08:00 PM
Another nice graphic about the possibility of salvaging the ship:

http://nationalpostnews.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/concordiasalvage1.jpg

nissan gtp
01-27-12, 09:20 PM
interesting :cool:

PS, that's a big ship

cameraman
01-27-12, 11:32 PM
PS, that's a big ship

Kind of amazing that someone would pilot something that big along a rocky coastline by the seat of his pants:eek:

Methanolandbrats
02-06-12, 02:35 PM
Even if your barge of choice does not sink, you might wish it would :yuck:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/ship-with-stomach-virus-outbreak-sets-sail-from-port-everglades-with-new-passengers/2012/02/06/gIQAc8aztQ_story.html

TravelGal
02-13-12, 08:20 PM
I wondered how long it would take for the emails to start....

-How do they serve alcoholic drinks on Italian cruise ships? - On the rocks

-What vegetables do you get with dinner on Italian cruise ships? - Leeks

-What's the fastest way to get off an Italian cruise ship? - Follow the captain

ETC.

TRANSAM
02-13-12, 11:58 PM
The Wreck of the Costa Concordia-good interviews and video.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Shows/the_fifth_estate/1278707885/ID=2192860673

cameraman
02-27-12, 04:42 PM
Remind me again why people get on Italian cruise ships???

The Italian liner Costa Allegra is adrift off the coast Alphonse Island, one of the atolls in the Seychelles after an engine room fire knocked out all power. Tugs are a day or so away.:shakehead

Ankf00
02-27-12, 04:56 PM
the Euro doesn't buy as much maintenance value as it used to

Gnam
02-27-12, 04:58 PM
Come for the pirate infested waters, stay because the boat is adrift without power.

Buona fortuna!

BarillaGirl
02-27-12, 08:56 PM
Should I be worried about sending Peter's son off to an Alaskan cruise with his aunt this summer? Just applied for the passport. :confused:

Methanolandbrats
02-27-12, 11:59 PM
Should I be worried about sending Peter's son off to an Alaskan cruise with his aunt this summer? Just applied for the passport. :confused:

No, there are not that many Italians in Alaska. Besides that, you can just kayak to shore if the barge takes on water.

BarillaGirl
02-28-12, 12:59 AM
I would trust my own paddling abilities, but I won't be there. Maybe he could use some extra swimming lessons.

chop456
02-28-12, 03:11 AM
Remind me again why people get on Italian cruise ships???

The Italian liner Costa Allegra is adrift off the coast Alphonse Island, one of the atolls in the Seychelles after an engine room fire knocked out all power. Tugs are a day or so away.:shakehead

Built in 1969 in Finland as a cargo ship, the 188 metre long vessel was refitted as a cruise ship in 1992 with eight passenger decks and 399 cabins.

Sign me up. :laugh:

A company spokesman said there were nine Italian marines on board the vessel as a security measure.

Srdjana Janosevic, a spokeswoman for the Seychelles president, said: "If pirates attack, the armed guards on board will respond. But as far as I am aware, no pirates have been sighted in the area."

"Sir, I seez de pirates. First I finish a make a sweet sweet love a to you girlfriend, denna' we worry about de pirates".

Don Quixote
02-28-12, 10:25 AM
That's racist. :laugh:

Methanolandbrats
02-28-12, 10:43 AM
Italian Marines :rofl:

G.
02-28-12, 05:49 PM
Italian Marines :rofl:

I heard that they have a long history of being excellent swimmers, a craft they learned in WWII.

Anteater
03-10-12, 02:43 PM
:rofl: right outta Loveboat.

And speaking of Loveboat:
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2012/03/09/report-cruise-love-boat-fame-headed-to-scrapyard/?intcmp=obnetwork

TravelGal
03-23-12, 12:26 PM
One of the reasons many agents love the newsletter from ARTA (Association of Retail Travel Agents) is the dry humour (she's Canadian) of the editor. When something strikes her funny, she copies it word for word. I've added the bolding myself.

Costa Crociere, the municipality of Giglio Island and the Costa Concordia Emergency Commissioner's Office have announced that the operations to remove the fuel from Costa Concordia have successfully been completed. The defueling operations, which were carried out by experts from the Neri/Smit Salvage team hired by Costa Crociere, began Feb. 12 and continued around the clock whenever sea and weather conditions were favourable. The removal of the fuel from 17 tanks of the ship will be completed by tomorrow night, March 23

TravelGal
10-23-12, 11:14 PM
From last Friday's ARTA Agent Briefing.

The Salvage Of The Concordia
The world's biggest ship salvage is starting to take shape. Cranes tower over the luxury liner, which lies covered in seaweed where it capsized on Giglio island last January. A gaping hole where the swimming pool used to be reveals the ghostly depths of the ship's nine-story central atrium. Salvage teams are facing the unprecedented challenge of removing a ship with a gross tonnage of 114,500 GT without spilling its rotting contents into the sea. One of the biggest risks is that the ship, which is grounded on two large outcrops close to the shore, will slip when righted and plunge into the depths. The plan is for 26 pillars to be driven into the seabed to support a series of underwater platforms as big as football fields for the ship to sit on. Large metal tanks that can be filled with water will then be welded onto the sides of the ship to balance the giant wreckage while it is dragged into an upright position using two cranes as well as cables attached to the platforms. The largest of the tanks are as high as an 11-story building and weigh 500-plus tons, and getting them lined up precisely on the frame is far from easy. Sixty-six divers will put 17,500 tons of cement bags in a 50-metre gap between the ship and the seabed. There is a risk that the midship section may give way,
breaking the ship in half, a risk greatly increased if there is a lot of bad weather this winter. The project, which Carnival says will cost at least $525 million, is already running several months late due to technical issues. The seabed is granite rock, the worst kind to be drilling in, especially at the 35 to 40 degree angles that are being drilled as the drill head slips on the rock. The team finally managed to get the first hole drilled this week.

TravelGal
11-20-12, 11:57 AM
Update from Nov 15

Costa Offers New Website For Concordia

The website was created by Costa in partnership with the consortium that is overseeing the work of refloating the ship. The Parbuckling Project website, offers background information about the removal effort and the companies involved; updates on the project's progress; and videos, 3-D animations and pictures of the work. Parbuckling is the technical term for the process of rotating a wreck into an upright position. The consortium overseeing the Costa Concordia removal effort includes Florida-based marine salvage specialist Titan Salvage and Italian marine contractor Micoperi. The companies have said the refloating and removal of the vessel should be completed by spring 2013. The website is in both Italian and English.

cameraman
11-20-12, 12:22 PM
http://www.theparbucklingproject.com/

Gnam
11-20-12, 01:57 PM
Maybe he felt it important to make it to shore, switch his career to journalism, and write the harrowing tale for all to learn from :gomer:

:laugh:

Costa Concordia captain promises to reveal 'shocking truth' in book

In claims never aired before, he said that after reaching dry land in a lifeboat, he managed to get into a rubber dinghy and return to the ship in order to help with the chaotic night-time evacuation.

But he was forced to abandon his efforts when the dinghy started taking on water.

His account diverges from that of survivors and crew, who said that after he reached the shore of Giglio he made no attempt to return to his ship.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9683816/Costa-Concordia-captain-promises-to-reveal-shocking-truth-in-book.html

They haven't even had the trial yet? :shakehead

G.
11-20-12, 02:57 PM
:laugh:

They haven't even had the trial yet? :shakehead

It's Italy. They need time to find him guilty of this, Senna's death, earthquakes, the Black Death, Twinkies failure, that bad sunburn I got one time, and Justin Bieber.

chop456
11-21-12, 02:55 AM
^ And breaking the seal on the Concordia's gearbox.

TravelGal
12-11-12, 10:03 PM
Construction Begins on World's Largest Italian Cruise Ship
Yesterday saw the keel-laying begin for Costa's newest flagship the Costa Diadema. She will be 132,500 tons and carry 4,947 passengers. When completed she will be the largest Italian cruise ship afloat. She is scheduled for completion in October of 2014 at Italy's Fincantieri Shipyard. The Diadema is the prototype for a new class of ship, larger than those in the line's most recent Concordia class, which ended with the release of 114,500-ton, 3,000-passenger Costa Fascinosa earlier this year. The new ship will cost some $6.5 billion and will create nearly 3,500 jobs, most of them local.

I wonder how many of those will be same jobs that were lost when the Concordia sank????

cameraman
12-11-12, 10:09 PM
The world's largest Italian cruise ship:rofl:

Indy
12-11-12, 11:58 PM
The world's largest Italian cruise ship:rofl:

$6.5 Billion? Seriously? That's more than the Speedway is worth. By about $6.49 Billion. :laugh:

chop456
12-12-12, 03:27 AM
The new ship will cost some $6.5 billion

That's pretty hard to believe. The Allure/Oasis cost $1.2B and are the largest in the world.

Lira, maybe? :gomer:

TravelGal
12-12-12, 09:21 PM
That's pretty hard to believe. The Allure/Oasis cost $1.2B and are the largest in the world.

Lira, maybe? :gomer:

I don't rewrite 'em. I just post 'em. One of the reasons I love this particular newsletter is that the editor doesn't correct the press releases either (as in "world's largest"). Usually she makes a comment when something is way off though so I'm surprised she didn't remark on the billions of overage. Then again, maybe they are furnishing it with original Italian Renaissance art. ;)

chop456
12-13-12, 02:33 AM
I wasn't implying that you wrote it - I know you've shared stuff from those blogs from time to time and they're always interesting. That number just struck me as being way off. Then again, Maybe they're building this with a captain-proof quintuple-hulled design or something.

"Ay! Watcha' diss!" :laugh:

Napoleon
12-13-12, 08:33 AM
$6.5 Billion? Seriously? That's more than the Speedway is worth. By about $6.49 Billion. :laugh:

Per Wiki the the carrier USS George H.W. Bush delivered in 2009 cost $6.2B.

TravelGal
12-13-12, 09:36 AM
I wasn't implying that you wrote it - I know you've shared stuff from those blogs from time to time and they're always interesting. That number just struck me as being way off. Then again, Maybe they're building this with a captain-proof quintuple-hulled design or something.

"Ay! Watcha' diss!" :laugh:

:rofl: Probably.

I didn't think you thought that I... aw nevermind. I was just trying to be funny. It's a play on an old joke, which has fallen prey to a senior moment. I'll try to ferret out the correct number but don't count on it. I'll probably forget. In fact, what was it I was supposed to do?

dando
12-13-12, 09:42 AM
:rofl: Probably.

I didn't think you thought that I... aw nevermind. I was just trying to be funny. It's a play on an old joke, which has fallen prey to a senior moment. I'll try to ferret out the correct number but don't count on it. I'll probably forget. In fact, what was it I was supposed to do?

$715M

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2012/12/12/costa-cruises-diadema-ship/1761807/

-Kevin

TravelGal
12-13-12, 09:30 PM
$715M

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2012/12/12/costa-cruises-diadema-ship/1761807/

-Kevin

Thank you. You are hired. Now if you would just straighten out this pricing mess I have with Holland America Line.... ;)

dando
12-13-12, 09:32 PM
Thank you. You are hired. Now if you would just straighten out this pricing mess I have with Holland America Line....

FYI, by comparison, the Disney Dream and Fantasy were built for $500M. :eek:

-Kevin

Indy
12-14-12, 09:26 AM
Per Wiki the the carrier USS George H.W. Bush delivered in 2009 cost $6.2B.

Yeah, but that is in gubmint dollars. Here is how defense spending works: 6.2B = 2.2B for the carrier, 2B for the black budget, and 2B excess profit for the war profiteers. You know, to create jobs 'n stuff. :rolleyes:

TravelGal
01-02-13, 02:28 PM
Hilarious wording in today's snippet.

Concordia Estimated To Be Removed By End Of Summer
Officials overseeing the removal of Costa Concordia from its precarious perch off Giglio are now estimating the wreck will be gone by the end of summer 2013, but in cautioning local residents, they said it would be misleading and unrealistic to fix a precise date for the conclusion of the work. In their latest briefing to the community, representatives of the Titan-Micoperi consortium said it is reasonable to expect possible work suspensions due to bad weather and sea conditions or other unforeseeable situations. Early on it was hoped the wreck could be refloated by January, but in August that timeline was set back to March or April, and estimates have continued to stretch further out due to the dynamic and unprecedented nature of the project. The iconic yellow funnel is being removed to facilitate the completion of the inland holdback system that will help stabilize the vessel when it's uprighted. The removal of the funnel's internal structures was completed on Sunday.

JoeBob
01-02-13, 02:59 PM
60 Minutes did a somewhat interesting story on the salvage operation. (The overtime clip of onboard footage is more interesting, IMHO)

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50137223n

There's also some interesting stuff on the salvage operation website: http://www.theparbucklingproject.com/

SteveH
01-20-13, 09:51 PM
Now appearing on Google Maps

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.365171,10.921612&num=1&t=h&z=17

dando
01-29-13, 03:31 PM
FYI, watching Moden Marvels episode on Super Ships. I think this is the most expensive and largest cruise ship out there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Oasis_of_the_Seas

5K passengers and it cost $1.4B (in 2006 $$$). She has a sister ship named Allure of the Seas. Astounding.

-Kevin

cameraman
01-29-13, 04:28 PM
You couldn't pay me to get on one of those Norovirus incubators. Why would you want to get on anything for a week with 7500+ other people?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e7/Oasis_of_the_Seas_docked_at_St._Thomas_pier.jpg/640px-Oasis_of_the_Seas_docked_at_St._Thomas_pier.jpg

It's a Vegas casino on a barge. I don't get Vegas either...

I'll stick to this kind of cruising.

http://www.sailingtexas.com/Pics2/picrobroy23102a.jpg

And this is my idea of a getaway location

http://www.boathousebandb.com/Boathouse_files/DSC00418-filtered.jpg

dando
01-29-13, 04:39 PM
I hear ya. The only way I'll cruise now is on a Disney ship. No casino and a family-friendly environment (and one awesome water slide). They do have nightclubs and an adults-only deck and pool. Our honeymoon was on a Carnival ship and it was basically a floating casino and bar. I still can't fathom how my mom and step-dad cruised the Pacific Rim for 75 days. :saywhat:

-Kevin

JoeBob
01-31-13, 02:41 PM
I've been on Allure of the Seas. It is pretty much a Vegas Casino at sea. First ship I've been on that was too big for me. (Smallest cruise ship I've been on had 78 passengers.)

I wouldn't judge the cruise experience by a Carnival cruise. I've done somewhere around 20 cruises. I've heard a lot of things from a lot of people, about a lot of cruise lines. The most consistent thing I've heard was, "My first cruise was on a Carnival ship, and after going on <insert any other cruise line here> - I'll never go back to Carnival."

The length of a cruise is also a big factor in the atmosphere on board. Less than a week, and it is nothing more than a booze cruise. Once you get to a week long, the cruiseline will dictate the atmosphere. For a cruise 2 weeks or longer, you can be sure that atmosphere on board will be VERY relaxed, and a significant number of your fellow passengers will have white hair. (And if you're on a line offering a 75 day trip, you can expect a VERY high end experience, if for no reason other than the crew will know you quite well, and they take care of the people they know.)

dando
01-31-13, 03:24 PM
I've been on Allure of the Seas. It is pretty much a Vegas Casino at sea. First ship I've been on that was too big for me. (Smallest cruise ship I've been on had 78 passengers.)

I wouldn't judge the cruise experience by a Carnival cruise. I've done somewhere around 20 cruises. I've heard a lot of things from a lot of people, about a lot of cruise lines. The most consistent thing I've heard was, "My first cruise was on a Carnival ship, and after going on <insert any other cruise line here> - I'll never go back to Carnival."

The length of a cruise is also a big factor in the atmosphere on board. Less than a week, and it is nothing more than a booze cruise. Once you get to a week long, the cruiseline will dictate the atmosphere. For a cruise 2 weeks or longer, you can be sure that atmosphere on board will be VERY relaxed, and a significant number of your fellow passengers will have white hair. (And if you're on a line offering a 75 day trip, you can expect a VERY high end experience, if for no reason other than the crew will know you quite well, and they take care of the people they know.)

JB:

I concur. My 'rents cruised the Med a couple of years ago, and then the Pacific cruise. I believe they have been on ~20 cruises over the years. Their feedback on the Pacific cruise (IIRC, Holland America) was glowing. Our cruise on Carnival was one of the early cruises for the Sensation in our late-20s. We didn't know any better @ the time, and thought it was OK. Plus, I don't do casinos, so we avoided them mostly. But they are basically booze cruises. The DCL cruise we did in 12/11 was amazing due to the dining experiences and family activities. The interactive dining was amazing. IMO, a week is the most I would do w/o going bat **** crazy. Some of the waters we hit made me ill the first night, and our youngest was ill towards the end. I got to experience the infirmary with her. :\ Just not my cup of tea for long stretches.

-Kevin

Easy
01-31-13, 08:07 PM
oops

Easy
01-31-13, 08:09 PM
I'll stick to this kind of cruising.

http://www.sailingtexas.com/Pics2/picrobroy23102a.jpg

Spaulding, get your foot off the boat!

http://sat.gmncdn.com/Blogs/robertfagan/files/2011/06/judge_smails.jpg

nrc
02-11-13, 12:26 PM
Another cruise ship dead in the water off Mexico. I'm glad this was after our trip since one of our friends on the cruise was very nervous about being on a ship. Seems funny to me. Normally I'm not happy being a passenger on anything but the ship didn't bother me.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/11/travel/cruise-ship-fire/index.html

JoeBob
02-11-13, 12:59 PM
It really makes me wonder what the heck is going on at Carnival. A few years ago, Carnival Splendor had an engine room fire that also left it without power.

Costa Concordia was a sister ship to Splendor - they shared the same same architecture. (Details inside the ships varied, but structurally, they're nearly identical.)

Carnival Triumph is not exactly the same ship, but if you look at a picture of Triumph next to the other two, you'll see they are quite similar.

Splendor never should have lost power after an engine room fire - there are supposed to be redundant systems. Now, Triumph has the same issue. Hmmmm?

SteveH
02-11-13, 01:06 PM
Cruise safety drill results in 5 deaths
http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/10/world/europe/canary-island-ship-deaths/index.html

from the article....

Madrid (CNN) -- A safety drill gone wrong on a cruise ship resulted in the death of five crew members in the Canary Islands, Thomson Cruises said Sunday.

Three other workers were injured, though not seriously, the cruise line said. The incident happened just before noon Sunday on board the Thomson Majesty while it was docked in La Palma, among the smallest of Spain's Canary Islands.

RaceGrrl
02-11-13, 01:53 PM
My mom is boarding a Carnival ship as we speak... chartered cruise to Nassau. And she left her cell phone here accidentally... so she has no cell access. Going to be a worrisome week. :(