PDA

View Full Version : SOPA/PIPA

dando
01-18-12, 10:42 AM
Surprised there hasn't been any discussion about these ****ed up bills.

http://gizmodo.com/5877000/what-is-sopa

Go to Wiki, use the search for your congressman and let them know how stupid this legislation is. :saywhat:

http://a0.opencongress.org.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/stop_sopa.jpg

-Kevin

Don Quixote
01-18-12, 11:03 AM
The FBI now has a file on you. :D

KLang
01-18-12, 12:34 PM
WSJ has an interesting editorial about this issue today. I've seen too many different interpretations of what the bills actually do, I wonder if any is accurate?

extramundane
01-18-12, 12:37 PM
http://i.imm.io/eP1E.jpeg

TravelGal
01-18-12, 01:12 PM
WSJ has an interesting editorial about this issue today. I've seen too many different interpretations of what the bills actually do, I wonder if any is accurate?

I'm not a WSJ subscriber so I'll have to ask you guys what your take is on it and WHY. Legislation sponsor has already realized that some of the provisions are wrong and is willing to change them but I'm wondering about the basics. There's no doubt that piracy is a major problem. But so is censorship.

Napoleon
01-18-12, 01:16 PM
I'm not a WSJ subscriber so I'll have to ask you guys what your take is on it and WHY.

If you ever pick it up keep one thing in mind, the editorial page is a cesspool of lies. When I use to get it I always got a huge laugh out of the fact that it was not unussual for the editorial page to say "x" and two pages later in a straight newstory it would be reported that "y is true and x is inaccurate". Yes, in the very same day's edition (at least before Murdoch the WSJ's straight reporting was very very good).

dando
01-18-12, 01:16 PM

Dunno. Question is will anyone bother reading the ****ing bills unlike TARP before they vote on the legislation? :saywhat: :mad: Anything like this coming out of Congress CANNOT be good. Period. :irked: Oh, and one of the co-authors of SOPA is our own Sherrod Brown, who is just a dweeb. (nrc, not a political comment...that's based on his personality).

-Kevin

KLang
01-18-12, 01:18 PM
I'm not a WSJ subscriber so I'll have to ask you guys what your take is on it and WHY. Legislation sponsor has already realized that some of the provisions are wrong and is willing to change them but I'm wondering about the basics. There's no doubt that piracy is a major problem. But so is censorship.

I think this link (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203471004577142893718069820.html?m od=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop) will work for non subscribers.

Napoleon
01-18-12, 01:27 PM
This is a pretty good easy to follow explaination.

http://calitics.com/diary/14115/confessions-of-a-hollywood-professional-why-i-cant-support-the-stop-online-piracy-act

Methanolandbrats
01-18-12, 01:43 PM
If you ever pick it up keep one thing in mind, the editorial page is a cesspool of lies. When I use to get it I always got a huge laugh out of the fact that it was not unussual for the editorial page to say "x" and two pages later in a straight newstory it would be reported that "y is true and x is inaccurate". Yes, in the very same day's edition (at least before Murdoch the WSJ's straight reporting was very very good).

True. Good source of information before it became a wing of Goebbels........err....Murdoch's propaganda machine.

chop456
01-18-12, 03:01 PM
:rofl::laugh::rofl:

BTW - I'm boycotting this thread to show my disdain for sopes.

http://i.imm.io/eP1E.jpeg

Ankf00
01-19-12, 02:25 AM
Lamar Smith. An older Rick Perry.

I'll trust the entirety of silicon valley from Vinod Kohsla to Page & Brin over a collection of politicians and their industry funders who do not produce sustainable GDP. That there's any confusion over this given the past 3 years of our govt's follies is proof that we get he government we deserve.

cameraman
01-19-12, 03:40 AM
Well now I find it highly distressing that Orrin Hatch is against this bill because that means I agree with him and I can't be allowing myself to ever say that Orrin Hatch is right about anything. Damn it, damn it, damn it. Even worse, the linked article said it wasn't about politics, it is about people that understand the internet vs those who don't. So now I am forced to admit that Orrin Hatch actually understands something & I agree with him. This is just horrible. Everything has to be black & white, good vs evil and he has to be the evil one cause if he isn't then what the hell does that make me? Curse SOPA/PIPA to the deepest depths of hell...

Insomniac
01-19-12, 09:34 AM
I think the vast majority of us are on the same side. Not much to discuss.

Old job creators vs. new job creators.

Indy
01-19-12, 09:54 AM
The part I find funny is that Hollywood and the recording industry blame the internet for lost sales, when the internet SHOULD represent the greatest opportunity for promotion and new revenue streams in history.

No, Mr. California Producer, whatever the problem is, SURELY it isn't the horribly written, contrived, mass produced garbage that you have been shoving down our throats. All the really good music I have heard in the last ten years is not on CD, or if it is, you have to order it directly from the band. That's the change -- the intelligent half of the population are no longer going to support your garbage. We are not even downloading your s***** songs on mp3's for free, because they aren't even worth the time it takes to do that.

TKGAngel
01-19-12, 10:25 AM
The part I find funny is that Hollywood and the recording industry blame the internet for lost sales, when the internet SHOULD represent the greatest opportunity for promotion and new revenue streams in history.

And considering how much of a cash cow internet streaming sites like Pandora and Spotify are for these guys, you would think they'd be fighting for the internet, instead of against it.

If you really want to lose faith in humanity (or need a good laugh), check out the @herpderpedia Twitter feed for people's reactions to Wiki's temporary shutdown.

Ankf00
01-19-12, 12:41 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/01/19/business/19sopaspan/19sopaspan-articleLarge.jpg

I mean, a bunch of 60-70 year olds are the ones pushing all this legislation. I'm not 30, yet, and tech absolutely makes my head spin. From first adopter napster & friendster & facebook back in the day turned last adopter twitter, and linking various social media accounts and foursquare and whatever other hippie stuff they're up to now, almost within one decade of HS and all this stuff makes me feel old. Yet those ****ers think they know what they're legislating? really?

Don Quixote
01-19-12, 02:20 PM
Ank, if you think you are lost, just imagine how far gone I am. I hardly ever know what the hell you are talking about. :D

G.
01-19-12, 02:28 PM
I mean, a bunch of 60-70 year olds are the ones pushing all this legislation. I'm not 30, yet, and tech absolutely makes my head spin. From first adopter napster & friendster & facebook back in the day turned last adopter twitter, and linking various social media accounts and foursquare and whatever other hippie stuff they're up to now, almost within one decade of HS and all this stuff makes me feel old. Yet those ****ers think they know what they're legislating? really?
I buy CD's, and what is this?

There's a theory that TPTB knew that the backlash would happen, and they are just fine with that. TPTB know that the attention span of the 'net is pretty small, and they'll just toss the bill onto the tail end of H.R.1981 (anti-kiddie prn). No one in Congress can vote against an anti-CP bill. And the 'net will be chasing after the next teen-aged girl that throws puppies into the river. As a tactic, it's right on; as a conspiracy theory (that this was the plan) it actually has some plausibility to it. :\

TKGAngel
01-19-12, 02:35 PM

I just turned 30 and I keep thinking about how things have changed since high school. We had dial-up internet, no Wikipedia and no FB/Twitter to keep us occupied in class. AIM was our vehicle of choice. We had CD players not iPods. Tablets? Those were used for writing notes and doodling. I still don't get the appeal of 4Square and other geo-services. Why do I care that you're at the gynie or visiting Grandma? I do think that Pinterest is kind of cool, though.

Now get off my lawn.

Gnam
01-19-12, 02:55 PM
So Google will censor/blacklist websites in China, but not in the good ole' US of A?
That's just un-American. :gomer:

Prohibition 2.0

Ankf00
01-19-12, 04:24 PM
Ank, if you think you are lost, just imagine how far gone I am. I hardly ever know what the hell you are talking about. :D

tech comes and goes, but Brayton cycle energy is here to stay :gomer: [/joke oddlycalm would lulz at]

Gnam
01-19-12, 05:07 PM
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/224/sopapillaihonestlydontt.jpg http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/336/sopapillas.jpg

SurfaceUnits
01-19-12, 05:31 PM
Chris Dodd says if the politicians in DC don't side with the entertainment industry, they won't be getting any of their money

TrueBrit
01-19-12, 05:47 PM
Chris Dodd says if the politicians in DC don't side with the entertainment industry, they won't be getting any of their money

Chris Dodd is an ethics-free bought-and-paid-for scumbag whore...and that is NOT a political comment, just a simple statement of fact...:mad:

TrueBrit
01-19-12, 05:49 PM

No, Mr. California Producer, whatever the problem is, SURELY it isn't the horribly written, contrived, mass produced garbage that you have been shoving down our throats.

The simple fact that there's a sequel coming to that godawful Nicholas Cage failure 'Ghostrider' more than adaquately demonstrates this point...

Don Quixote
01-19-12, 05:55 PM
The simple fact that there's a sequel coming to that godawful Nicholas Cage failure 'Ghostrider' more than adaquately demonstrates this point...So you're saying I shouldn't watch the first one then? :D

cameraman
01-19-12, 07:42 PM
The simple fact that there's a sequel coming to that godawful Nicholas Cage failure 'Ghostrider' more than adaquately demonstrates this point...

Anybody know where I can find the torrent for that?

grungex
01-19-12, 08:17 PM
:rofl:

gjc2
01-20-12, 08:36 AM
a bunch of 60-70 year olds are the ones pushing all this legislation.

The average age of the current members of Congress is 57 (55 for the House & 61 for the Senate)

Legislators can’t be experts on every issue. We hope they seek the advice of knowledgeable people before they vote. As with any issue, it’s the unintended consequences that are the killers.

Entertainment is one of the United States biggest exports. The challenge is find a way to protect them from piracy WITHOUT censoring anyone (especially not motorsports fan forums)

Indy
01-20-12, 08:59 AM
I mean, a bunch of 60-70 year olds are the ones pushing all this legislation.

I used to believe in wisdom. Getting older myself now, I have decided that what we call wisdom is the accumulation of whatever life experiences a person has had, good or bad, teachable or not, and the people we consider "wise" are just lucky to have a coincidentally useful set of experiences. Bottom line, most old people are just old fools, and they get dumber the older they get.

I would support a constitutional amendment to limit voting to those under 60. Let's let the kids determine their own futures rather than forcing them to live with the corruptions and prejudices of the old.

Indy
01-20-12, 09:01 AM
Or Logan's Run. That would be cool, too.

Spicoli
01-20-12, 09:20 AM
I used to believe in wisdom. Getting older myself now, I have decided that what we call wisdom is the accumulation of whatever life experiences a person has had, good or bad, teachable or not, and the people we consider "wise" are just lucky to have a coincidentally useful set of experiences. Bottom line, most old people are just old fools, and they get dumber the older they get.

I would support a constitutional amendment to limit voting to those under 60. Let's let the kids determine their own futures rather than forcing them to live with the corruptions and prejudices of the old.

Oh dear lord:

1. Restricting voting to certain parts of the population has always led to great results~!:rolleyes: SRSLY? you are smarter than that Brad.

2. There are stupid people in every age group, and conversely there are smart people in every age group...

3. The voters get what they deserve. There are dimwits in every party, from the party workers to their candidates to their elected officials. I know this firsthand. When the electorate gets engaged and peels back the onion and gets to the heart of the issues and the soul of the candidates, they get better results. Further, stay involved at whatever level you are comfortable. Get to know your local elected officials, whether it be the city council member, the state representative, the dog catcher, whatever. Its your government, pay attention!

4. Wisdom:1.The quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgment; the quality of being wise.
2.The soundness of an action or decision with regard to the application of such experience, knowledge, and good judgment.

Resspectfully:

Spicolio.:D

Ankf00
01-20-12, 09:50 AM
The average age of the current members of Congress is 57 (55 for the House & 61 for the Senate)

given the upper and lower bounds of the expected age range, and a mean that is far closer to the upper range than the lower range, the median's likely to be even greater. add in seniority hierarchy to that and it's definitely above the mean. lamar smith, chris dodd, harry reid, those mfrs are all my dad's age.

they don't need to be experts, they just need to be capable of comprehension instead of just capable of being drunk, clueless, intern-chasing coots.

dando
01-20-12, 10:36 AM
Anonymous strikes back.

http://gizmodo.com/5877679/anonymous-kills-department-of-justice-site-in-megaupload-revenge-strike

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
01-20-12, 11:01 AM
given the upper and lower bounds of the expected age range, and a mean that is far closer to the upper range than the lower range, the median's likely to be even greater. add in seniority hierarchy to that and it's definitely above the mean. lamar smith, chris dodd, harry reid, those mfrs are all my dad's age.

they don't need to be experts, they just need to be capable of comprehension instead of just capable of being drunk, clueless, intern-chasing coots.

Has nuthin to do with age or tech saviness. If the recording industry and their allies donate more cash than Google and their allies, the bill will pass. All it is buying votes until you have enough to win. Not exactly the democracy the founding fathers were hoping for.

Indy
01-20-12, 11:12 AM
Oh dear lord:

1. Restricting voting to certain parts of the population has always led to great results~!:rolleyes: SRSLY? you are smarter than that Brad.

2. There are stupid people in every age group, and conversely there are smart people in every age group...

3. The voters get what they deserve. There are dimwits in every party, from the party workers to their candidates to their elected officials. I know this firsthand. When the electorate gets engaged and peels back the onion and gets to the heart of the issues and the soul of the candidates, they get better results. Further, stay involved at whatever level you are comfortable. Get to know your local elected officials, whether it be the city council member, the state representative, the dog catcher, whatever. Its your government, pay attention!

4. Wisdom:1.The quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgment; the quality of being wise.
2.The soundness of an action or decision with regard to the application of such experience, knowledge, and good judgment.

Resspectfully:

Spicolio.:D

Yeah, well, I am just trying to get my Dad to stop voting. :laugh:

You seem pretty sensitive about this subject. :rofl:

Ankf00
01-20-12, 11:38 AM
Has nuthin to do with age or tech saviness. If the recording industry and their allies donate more cash than Google and their allies, the bill will pass. All it is buying votes until you have enough to win. Not exactly the democracy the founding fathers were hoping for.

for sure, but reading and hearing statements from tools like Dodds lecturing and acting as if it's principle and no one has a clue but him is even more infuriating.

Spicoli
01-20-12, 12:04 PM
Yeah, well, I am just trying to get my Dad to stop voting. :laugh:

You seem pretty sensitive about this subject. :rofl:

Sensitive? Pfffft. I am just trying to make the world a better place, one voter at a time!:thumbup::D

gjc2
01-20-12, 01:06 PM
I remember a teacher in high school who thought the driving age should be 40!

I don’t vote just for my own self interest, I vote for what I believe is in the best interest of the country. My personal best interests and the country’s best interests are not mutually exclusive.

ps: My mother is in a nursing home so I order an absentee ballot for her. I guess that means I get two votes. I’m 61.

EDwardo
01-20-12, 01:52 PM
... keep thinking about how things have changed since high school....

I know how you feel. I listened to music recorded on vinyl. I remember when my dad bought our first color TV. My first plane trip as a child was on a Constellation (with propellers). And I had to use a slide rule!

TravelGal
01-20-12, 01:53 PM
So Google will censor/blacklist websites in China, but not in the good ole' US of A?

Prohibition 2.0

This is important. Google plays its holier than thou card after knuckling under to allow censorship in any form the Chinese government wanted. But I guess it doesn't matter because it's just "over there." :rolleyes:

Methanolandbrats
01-20-12, 02:26 PM

Prohibition 2.0

That post earned you a file in the special division Google has that tracks the habits of dissidents like you. :)

Ankf00
01-20-12, 02:34 PM
This is important. Google plays its holier than thou card after knuckling under to allow censorship in any form the Chinese government wanted. But I guess it doesn't matter because it's just "over there." :rolleyes:

every last western corp in china acts pollyanna, yet refuses to push for governmental actions to pressure china on it's enablement of IP theft. this is a China issue, not an "internet hackers are stealing all our monies!!!11" issues. but the corps still go there for the $$$. and it is hypocritical

however, what's there is there, and just b/c it happens there doesn't mean it's ok to happen here.

EDwardo
01-20-12, 02:35 PM
I just Googled Google.

About 1,690,000,000 results.:eek:

G.
01-20-12, 03:54 PM
If the recording industry and their allies donate more cash than Google and their allies, the bill will pass. All it is buying votes until you have enough to win. Not exactly the democracy the founding fathers were hoping for.
there are a few sources out there stating what the entertainment industry's donations are to the Congresscritters. Not sure about the accuracy of the numbers. More to the point, they're probably not accurate.:\

http://www.politicolnews.com/congressmen-who-received-money-for-sopa-vote/

click on your state to see some smaller numbers than the link above. (http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/states)

By the way, doesn't appear to be much updating of these sites in the last day or two.

TrueBrit
01-20-12, 04:59 PM
for sure, but reading and hearing statements from tools like Dodds lecturing and acting as if it's principle and no one has a clue but him is even more infuriating.

Amen to that...

TravelGal
01-20-12, 07:42 PM
every last western corp in china acts pollyanna, yet refuses to push for governmental actions to pressure china on it's enablement of IP theft. this is a China issue, not an "internet hackers are stealing all our monies!!!11" issues. but the corps still go there for the $$$. and it is hypocritical

however, what's there is there, and just b/c it happens there doesn't mean it's ok to happen here.

I agreed with Gnam because the situational ethics (read: what do I have to do to make a pot of money) should at least be noted. Google rails about restricting the internet when they've already signed the agreement in China.

There's no doubt that the US companies are two faced. And that it's not okay for us to sink to the level of piracy and appropriation of goods and products in China. But I don't agree with your assertion that "there is there" because, among other things, what's there is ripping off what's here.

Rex Karz
01-20-12, 07:52 PM
I know how you feel. I listened to music recorded on vinyl. I remember when my dad bought our first color TV. My first plane trip as a child was on a Constellation (with propellers). And I had to use a slide rule!

When I was in school, and that includes college, there were no calculators. You had to solve math problems with only paper and a pencil or pen.

Only the smart ones in the advanced math classes could use a slide rule, but they had to keep track of where the decimal point went.

SurfaceUnits
01-20-12, 08:27 PM
Bottom line, most old people are just old fools, and they get dumber the older they get.

so you are the guy in the commercial pushing the old woman over the cliff

Methanolandbrats
01-20-12, 08:28 PM
When I was in school, and that includes college, there were no calculators. You had to solve math problems with only paper and a pencil or pen.

Only the smart ones in the advanced math classes could use a slide rule, but they had to keep track of where the decimal point went.

When I was in school we were too high to do math.

Indy
01-21-12, 12:43 PM
^^^ Haha, where is the Like button?!