PDA

View Full Version : Al's charges upgraded

Hard Driver
01-12-12, 07:28 PM
http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/story/_/id/7429103/al-unser-jr-faces-more-severe-dwi-charges

Racing legend Al Unser Jr. is facing more severe drunken driving charges after a New Mexico judge granted a prosecution request for the upgrade based on a previous conviction.

Street Racing over twice the limit after a previous DUI..... He should be in a world of hurt. What a tool.

Rex Karz
01-12-12, 07:32 PM
Al Jr.: A Legend of the Drunkyard.

Andrew Longman
01-12-12, 08:18 PM
For the 2nd DWI he gets:

2-year license revocation.
Up to 364 days jail, 96 hours mandatory.
Up to $1,000 fine, $500 mandatory
Other mandatory penalties: alcohol evaluation, community service, treatment, ignition interlock for 2 years.
Other: Up to 5 years probation.

For the elevated BAC:

2nd offense, mandatory: additional 4 days jail.

I somehow missed his prior conviction in Nevada. This is actually at least his third if you count the scene in Indy on the interstate with his girlfriend.

From what I understand happened there actually was zero reason the cops couldn't have charged him for that even though they caught up to him at his trailer. If it hadn't been Jr and Indy the cops would have charged him and make his lawyer try to convince a judge, who most have no sense of humor or imagination about how he might NOT have been drunk driving just a few minutes before the cops showed up.

For a third offense he'd be facing:

3-year license revocation.
Up to 364 days jail, mandatory 30 days.
Up to $1,000 fine, $750 mandatory .
Other mandatory penalties: alcohol evaluation, community service, treatment, ignition interlock for 3 years.
Other: Up to 5 years probation.

And for the BAC:

3rd offense, mandatory: additional 60 days jail.

I never liked the guy or his family but I hope he gets help before he kills himself or others.

Spicoli
01-12-12, 10:35 PM
Opie had the best crminal defense lawyer in Indy.

cart7
01-12-12, 11:15 PM
I recall an Indy qual day rain delay telecast where Arute was interviewing somebody when Big and Little Al come staggering onto the scene .... drunk...

it was pretty pathetic. :shakehead

Andrew Longman
01-12-12, 11:33 PM
I remember something of the sort, but IIRC it was just Sr. and he'd been someone's "guest" in the infield.

He was completely shot. I definitely remember that.

And what initially seemed like a great surprise target of opportunity for Arute quickly turned to "Back you, Jim" :rolleyes:

Methanolandbrats
01-12-12, 11:52 PM
I remember something of the sort, but IIRC it was just Sr. and he'd been someone's "guest" in the infield.

He was completely shot. I definitely remember that.

And what initially seemed like a great surprise target of opportunity for Arute quickly turned to "Back you, Jim" :rolleyes:

Yup, I remember the exact same thing.

Spicoli
01-13-12, 07:08 AM
I recall an Indy qual day rain delay telecast where Arute was interviewing somebody when Big and Little Al come staggering onto the scene .... drunk...

it was pretty pathetic. :shakehead

What's wrong with getting likkered up at the track?!

Mary
01-15-12, 05:20 PM
In another thread, I mentioned sarcastically that I worked for over eight years in a not-for-profit social service agency. That agency was an alcoholism & drug treatment center. Unfortunately, Al's story is very common; he's just famous (sorta) so it is out there for all of us to see. Most addicts relapse a number of times before they are able to maintain sobriety. Some never do and they usually die (ODs, car wrecks, untreated illness, etc). If they live sober they really do have to practice that "one day at a time" thing. I just hope that he doesn't take out anybody else until either of those things happen and, since Al used to be my favorite driver before he let his true IRL colors show :yuck: I hope for his sake that it is the former and not the latter.

Mary