PDA

View Full Version : Cameron Gibbons (CamG) has passed away

devilmaster
12-30-11, 11:16 AM
To all Cams friends near and far - it is with great sadness to let you know that he passed away peacefully about 4pm Perth time 30th December 2011. His family were with him. He fought so determinedly and with a good sense of humour (& crankiness!!) for so many years. He is finally in that big pub in the sky enjoying a very cold beer and steak :)! Thank you to all for your support and friendship over the years. We will miss him. Fiona (his little sister!)

Just posted 20 min ago on facebook...

RIP buddy, I'm glad to have met ya.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/196056_4790041348_566411348_74692_2830_n.jpg

Methanolandbrats
12-30-11, 11:20 AM
:(

SteveH
12-30-11, 11:45 AM
Damn

No more pain.

RIP buddy

Napoleon
12-30-11, 11:46 AM
RIP Cam

Ankf00
12-30-11, 12:03 PM
wow

RIP

Indy
12-30-11, 12:03 PM
Went to the last USGP with him. Had a great time cheering Hamilton and the McLarens to victory. He was post-surgery and ailing badly even then, but he still managed to enjoy himself. He LOVED auto racing.

I'm sad, but I can't help but smile thinking about him at some great race in the sky, drinking and having a good time with his racing buddies. Probably having a Bud with Paul Newman. RIP, buddy.

rocket
12-30-11, 12:05 PM
Wow, lost a great guy. The last time I saw him was at one of the USGP's in Indy. I knew he was fighting cancer and he was telling me about everything that was going on. Afterwards I told him it was amazing everything the Doctors and medical technology was capable of doing....but it still can't get rid of that crazy Aussie accent of yours. Of course he laughed like a madman and told me where to go...pretty sure we decided more beer was in order at that point. Everytime I ran into Cam I left laughing about something, I'm glad I knew him. Prayers to his family and friends.

Ziggy
12-30-11, 12:25 PM
I am a better person for having known Cam.

It was through the Internet that our paths even crossed. After joking around with him on various message boards, it was apparent that we shared a passion for open wheel racing. We lived in the same city, while I was living a life in recovery I had not shut the door on having a good time. Cam had that quirky Australian outlook, and some goofy English to say the least. He was a great addition to our fourth turn critics society.

Railbird and I had been friends for years, long before the Internet. After much cussing and discussing the merits, or lack thereof, the IRL, I finally relented and agreed to re-join our long time group which watched qualifications from right across Georgetown from my old house. Cam was quickly included and meshed with our group. One of the most hilarious afternoon was the running of the first "Freedom One Hunnert" for which the made the Three Stooges look like serious drama. Even not drinking (me) it was hard to leave the stands my sides hurt so bad from laughing. Of course the 30 some fans in the stands were not going to give a group of ten or so any ****. Thinking about this day, and the fun, sort of makes me sad. Three of those guys are now gone. John, Kelso and now Cam.......... damn that sucks.

Cam was a total whiz bang with DOS and Windows. Me being a total klutz in that department, I have the ability to screw a computer up pretty bad. Cam was my PC mechanic. I worked on his beat up Oldsmobile, or paid him, which ever he chose. Hey had a key to my house and on a couple of occasions would spend the entire day doing what ever the hell PC guys do to fix these things when they get scrambled. He was good, but always in a hurry....... and I would get on him about it. We got to know each other pretty well.

He fought one hell of a fight. After he moved back to Oz we kept in touch. I knew of his mother passing, and of his recurrence of his cancer. Damn He went through a lot of horrific surgeries. When he contacted MRSA, I knew things were not well. That almost killed him and his dedication to life is the only thing that pulled him out of that. The treatments were brutal.

When I sold my house I did not advertise it. I had my reasons. One of the pitfalls of this tactic was not telling Cam. We lost touch and the only way I could get in contact with him was either through FaceBook or Smack. And he did love him some Smack! That guy was pretty damn literate and very intelligent. He for sure knew how to open the can of whip ass when needed.

A great guy. I so much hoped for a better outcome for him.

Rest in Peach Cameron, I look forward to seeing you again someday.

Kevin

Rex Karz
12-30-11, 12:26 PM
RIP. :(

the weebler
12-30-11, 12:31 PM
RIP. :(

dando
12-30-11, 12:33 PM
RIP, Cam. :( :cry:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
12-30-11, 12:49 PM

nissan gtp
12-30-11, 12:51 PM
never met him in real life, seemed like a great guy

RIP

Corner5
12-30-11, 12:56 PM
Godspeed Cam!:(

aportinga
12-30-11, 12:58 PM
wow

RIP

+1

Just very sad...

Opposite Lock
12-30-11, 01:03 PM
Damn. Only met him once, on Ziggy's front porch at the last USGP, but felt like I had known him much longer from here and CW.

RIP, Cam. :(

Hardpoint
12-30-11, 01:07 PM
Rest in Peace. :(

datachicane
12-30-11, 01:29 PM

Andrew Longman
12-30-11, 01:33 PM
Crap. :(

Only the good die young.

Ed_Severson
12-30-11, 01:47 PM
****. Cam was one of the few people from this or other racing forums I've met in person ... glad I got a chance to shake his hand and have him give me a hard time face to face. Damn good guy ... Godpseed, buddy. :cry:

Kiwifan
12-30-11, 01:47 PM
Bugger. Apart from me winding him up about being an Aussie on the boards and the odd email the only time we were "close" was when I sent him a copy of the first CART race on the Gold Coast. He was excited to see it but bagged me because it was commentated by Darryl Eastlake! Bloody ungrateful Aussie, I miss you already mate. :cry: :cry:

RIP Cam.

Ripped
12-30-11, 02:42 PM
Cam and I have been talking over Skype for the past few months in our efforts to get Smack back up and running. I've watched his health deteriorate during that time and he has been in and out of the hospital the whole time. He would be unreachable for weeks at a time so I got the feeling this day was coming. Most of the time I got to talk to him he had a terrible time trying to concentrate and couldn't remember anything. That is ultimately why we never could get it back up and running. He forgot the login and password to the host and never got it sorted. Part of me thinks it best that Smack should die with Cam and part of me will miss it terribly as I will Cam.

He sent me a bunch of pictures over the time since he moved back to Oz and 90 % of them were of the beautiful women in the pubs. He loved those women and his Bundy. I haven't been back to Oz in years but next chance I get I'll go back and have a meat pie or seven along with a Bundy and Coke in memory of Cam.

You'll be missed Cam. Rest in Peace. Say "Hey" to #99 for me.

G.
12-30-11, 02:49 PM
Damn. He had one hell of a lot of fight in him.

He is resting now.

Take care buddy. :(

TravelGal
12-30-11, 03:07 PM
This is a tough one. They all are but to know Cam, even on the net, was such a privilege. He was so open and honest. Endearing and kind. He made you feel as if *you* were the nicest person he'd ever met. We corresponded fairly often, mostly on travel stuff. He made one last trip that meant a lot to him. I think he knew it might be his last, which is why he made such an effort for it.

I'm sad but I know he's at rest. He put up the good fight. More than should be asked of anyone. Rest in peace, Cam. We'll miss you. :cry:

JoeBob
12-30-11, 03:12 PM
I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said by others.

Cam was one of the good guys. A fighter with a spirit second to none.

He'll be missed terribly.

**** cancer.

extramundane
12-30-11, 03:12 PM
RIP, good sir. :(

Gnam
12-30-11, 03:20 PM
Condolences to his family and the smackforum community. :(
He will be missed.

nrc
12-30-11, 03:23 PM
Rats. :(

Another good one gone. I'm happy to have met Cam. We shared the computer nerd/race fan gene but he was obviously a lot more gregarious than I. You are missed, Cam.

Lux Interior
12-30-11, 03:33 PM
Saying a prayer for him.

miatanut
12-30-11, 03:50 PM
RIP Cam. :(

Elmo T
12-30-11, 04:36 PM

MoCartt
12-30-11, 04:46 PM
I grew to know him from the Smack site.

Rest in peace Cam.

This sucks...but he was one strong mother in face of what he was up against.

Been a tough year...PC Hall and Cam, two great internet friends.

:cry: :cry:

chop456
12-30-11, 04:59 PM
A guy that was fun to hang out with and funny as hell. You will be missed.

miatanut
12-30-11, 05:01 PM
I grew to know him from the Smack site.

Rest in peace Cam.

This sucks...but he was one strong mother in face of what he was up against.

Been a tough year...PC Hall and Cam, two great internet friends.

:cry: :cry:

OC too, before the year was a week old. :(

cameraman
12-30-11, 05:05 PM

RusH
12-30-11, 05:44 PM
:(... FCancer
We exchanged many PM`s over the years ... I considered him a friend that I unfortunately never met.

R.I.P. sir

TKGAngel
12-30-11, 05:46 PM

RHR_Fan
12-30-11, 06:10 PM

Devilmaster, was he in Toronto one year? I swear I met him there and he told me to shut the hell up about something, teasingly of course. lol That was the Cam I knew.

WickerBill
12-30-11, 06:12 PM
Dammit.

Forgive me, boss.

formulaben
12-30-11, 06:13 PM
RIP, Cam. Godspeed... :(

nrc
12-30-11, 06:29 PM
Dammit.

Forgive me, boss.

Done and done. Cam would be pleased that he got a dammit out of you. :) :(

trish
12-30-11, 07:25 PM
May he rest in peace.

devilmaster
12-30-11, 07:35 PM

Devilmaster, was he in Toronto one year? I swear I met him there and he told me to shut the hell up about something, teasingly of course. lol That was the Cam I knew.

Not that I know... I don't remember him being there... i knew him from Cbus and from Indy...

grungex
12-30-11, 07:41 PM
Crap. I only met him once, but we had a hell of a good time. Words fail me... :cry:

RTKar
12-30-11, 07:55 PM
Wow. I kind of expected this was coming.

Cam was one of the first internet race people I met, Camp David maybe, at Ziggys, USGP, Cbus. Shared a couple beers. Damn what cancer does.

DagoFast
12-30-11, 09:38 PM
Sad news. :(

I can be counted among those who were never fortuante to meet Cam in person, but was fortunate to know him online. I'll miss winding him up on Smack forever. :p

Indy
12-31-11, 12:07 AM
Crap. I only met him once, but we had a hell of a good time. Words fail me... :cry:

Was that the time we met up with Spicoli at the BRT and ended up at Usual Suspects before Spicoli disappeared? Cam was pissed, and cursing in Australianese -- I could only understand about half of it.

I suppose one thing that makes me smile is the thought that when Spicoli goes to heaven, he'll find himself in Coventry. :laugh:

grungex
12-31-11, 12:39 AM
That was indeed the time. That night counts among the top three drunkest nights of my life, luckily I had a chauffeur!

Spicoli
12-31-11, 02:39 AM
Pfffffft. Revisionist history on all you tards.

Cam drank the MGD and smoked too much ciggies, regardless, he will be missed. We had fun, then he hated me but who didn't. :)

A good mn lost, but last I saw him - and **** that was the last USGP, he was on the slide down. Not good.

Here's to you bro, may you find that peace you so justly deserved after that suffering. And it was a long hard suffering. Death sucks.

Joelski
12-31-11, 02:59 AM
RIP Cam. Our world of racing enthusiasts lost really good guy.

Kahauna Dreamer
12-31-11, 03:20 AM

pfc_m_drake
12-31-11, 03:11 PM

Twisty Bits
12-31-11, 04:02 PM
RIP Cam. I will definitely have a few for you tonight. :cheers:

rosawendel
12-31-11, 04:12 PM
bummer.

Kahauna Dreamer
12-31-11, 04:18 PM
RIP Cam. I will definitely have a few for you tonight. :cheers:

...and then some. :\

Anteater
12-31-11, 05:58 PM
Godspeed and God bless. :(

Michaelhatesfans
12-31-11, 08:59 PM
Terrible news - I didn't know that he was struggling, but then again I would imagine that he prefered it way. RIP Cam, you'll definitely be missed.

trauma1
01-01-12, 02:06 PM
Cam you will be dearly missed,

TRDfan
01-01-12, 05:26 PM
RIP Cam

Cancer sucks. That is all.

TravelGal
01-01-12, 09:55 PM
Posted 10 minutes ago on Cam's Facebook page.

Happy New Year.
Thank you all for your lovely messages and shared memories of Cam. A funeral service will be held Monday 9th January 2012 at 1pm (Perth time) at Pinaroo Cemetary. Please post or email (magees @ smartchat.net.au) any other memories or messages as I may try to include them in the service if possible. Thank you again for your messages of support - they have been a great comfort to me. Fiona

Turn7
01-02-12, 08:57 AM
I'll pray for comfort for his family and friends.

cart7
01-05-12, 06:55 AM
Never met the guy but did converse through PM's. RIP CAM. :(

Wheel-Nut
01-05-12, 05:49 PM
RIP

Chief
01-08-12, 12:48 PM
Sorry to hear of Cam's passing....RIP mate. :(

peasant
01-10-12, 06:48 AM
**** Haven't checked out any forums in a long time only to read this:(. RIP .

BarillaGirl
01-13-12, 11:08 AM
RIP Cam. Want to type more, but starting to cry. :cry:

Ankf00
01-13-12, 01:26 PM
http://www.gibbons.asia/gibbon5.jpg

http://www.world-guides.com/images/australia/australia_map_country.jpg

http://www.pcb.com.au/Libraries/Content_Images/PP_Perth_Skyline_Horizontal-_JPEG.sflb.ashx

at least he got to go while at home :)

Kiwifan
01-13-12, 03:25 PM
I'm trying to think of something cheeky to say about Cam and his "love" of Kiwis but don't want it to come out disrespectful. Lets just say he always had a kind word to say to us, especially peasant. ;) (Where ya been man?)

Still think of him often,

formulaben
01-13-12, 04:47 PM
^ I always enjoyed the banter. :)

devilmaster
03-12-12, 11:41 PM
http://vimeo.com/user4380320/camerongibbons

:cool:

SteveH
03-12-12, 11:50 PM
:)

Thanks for posting that

Kiwifan
03-13-12, 05:39 AM
Bloody Aussie, gone way too soon. :(

Thanks for the link, very moving. :thumbup:

Rex Karz
03-14-12, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the link.

RIP Cam. :( :cry:

Anteater
03-15-12, 05:31 PM
http://vimeo.com/user4380320/camerongibbons

Thanks for posting, dm--beautiful video (it made me cry).

Brickman
03-20-12, 02:25 AM