PDA

View Full Version : Gonadsi warns against more non-US races

SurfaceUnits
12-30-11, 02:49 AM
Team owner Chip Ganassi has cautioned the IndyCar Series organisers against holing too many races out of North America in the future.
Team owner Chip Ganassi has cast doubt on whether the IndyCar Series should be looking to add more rounds outside the United States in the future.

"One race offshore is fine, adds a little bit of caché or whatever, but I don't think we want to get three, four, five races outside the country," said Ganassi at a media teleconference just before Christmas. "I'd have to say that's going to start to have a detrimental effect on the series."

Ganassi was talking ahead of the publication of the 2012 calendar, which included as expected a maiden race in China to replace the series' long-time flyaway destination of Motegi in Japan. With two races in Canada and another in Sao Paulo (with a second Brazil race strongly rumoured to be under discussion), Ganassi felt that the series had reached its limit.

"Once you get outside of Mexico, US, Canada, I'm not sure I'd be in favour of a lot of races outside that for our series," he said. "The question is, maybe you separate it, if it would start to grow like that, have two separate championships or something like that, and you could choose to participate or not."

Ganassi emphasised that one of the primary factors behind his concerns over long distance flyaway races was the matter of cost.

"We all have vivid in our minds the financial crisis of a few years ago," he explained. "It makes us a little bit more nervous going forward with plans like that. There's so many venues here in the US that I think we can make a success of. It would be a lot easier than travelling halfway around the world."

As well as cost, there is also the matter of TV coverage. This year's Motegi event was held in what was the middle of the night for much of its prime audience in the US and duly attracted negligible ratings, a matter of concern for the series which is struggling to hold onto its fan base in the face of the NASCAR juggernaut. China will have a similar problem, whereas the trip to Sao Paulo keeps to familiar time zones and is less of an issue.

chop456
12-30-11, 03:22 AM
How could anything except non-existence have "a detrimental effect" on the series?

It's like bombing rubble at this point.

Spicoli
12-30-11, 07:23 AM
Why? F1 can do it.

Rex Karz
12-30-11, 08:14 AM
A big, long, and free, buffet line cures all disagreements.

Napoleon
12-30-11, 11:00 AM
Why? F1 can do it.

Because his sponsors are all domestic. This whole issue came up and the same complaints were lodged, if my memory is correct, with CART.

opinionated ow
12-30-11, 11:38 AM
Because his sponsors are all domestic. This whole issue came up and the same complaints were lodged, if my memory is correct, with CART.

And to be realistic, Indycar or CART or what have you is a national championship. Formula 1 is a World Championship

SurfaceUnits
12-30-11, 11:54 AM
Because his sponsors are all domestic.

an them is good redblooded 'Murican companies who don't want no damed furriner buying there goods

Chief
12-30-11, 04:51 PM
Team owner Chip Ganassi has cautioned the IndyCar Series......."Once you get outside of Mexico, US, Canada, I'm not sure I'd be in favour of a lot of races outside that for our series," he said. "The question is, maybe you separate it, if it would start to grow like that, have two separate championships or something like that, and you could choose to participate or not."
Anyone wanna bet if someone started a new AOW series based on 1994 or 1995 CART rules without the POS speedway to ruin it, it would be popular in 2012 put the Irl out of business??

Methanolandbrats
12-30-11, 05:01 PM
Lolas, Reynards, 2.65 lumps, I think somebody tried that. Of course if the big players came along.....

miatanut
12-30-11, 05:05 PM
Anyone wanna bet if someone started a new AOW series based on 1994 or 1995 CART rules without the POS speedway to ruin it, it would be popular in 2012 put the Irl out of business??

I think the sport is too far gone for that, but if the POS speedway hadn't ruined it, most of the seats for the Fi'hunnert would still be reserved seating.

SurfaceUnits
12-30-11, 05:20 PM
A gin drinking fluzie trumps all reason