PDA

View Full Version : Off Camber's Antiques Roadshow

Rex Karz
12-29-11, 08:45 PM
Have you got anything, whether racing related or not, that could be featured in a version of Antiques Roadshow? I've got three such things.

First, I have a poster from Woody Allen's movie "Annie Hall." It's not the most sought after one as those that were printed up for the movie's debut in LA and NYC are far more valuable. Checked out the worth a couple of years ago and it was something like $40. The LA/NYC posters were worth $500 a few years back. My late brother knew a movie theater operator and he gave him the poster.

Second, I've got an original copy of the bootleg recording of Bob Dylan's "Basement Tapes." Bought it in a record store (anybody else remember "records"?). The sound is pretty crappy and I only played it one time.

Finally, I've got a wall clock from 1996 that features Scott Brayton winning the pole at Indianapolis for the second year in a row. Probably printed by Menard's, but after Scott's death, it likely got yanked from the souvenir stands around 16th and Georgetown. A friend of mine who knows utterly nothing about racing spends lots of weekends in garage sales and she bought it for a buck or something and gave it to me because I "liked racing." By the way, when you put batteries in the clock, it runs.

What have you got? What's the story behind it?

Dvdb
12-29-11, 10:01 PM
My great grandfather was Chief Surgeon for US Steel in Gary in the early 1900's. As a hobby, he collected knives.

When my Mom started having children, she didn't want them in the house so "gave" them to her brother, moving them to the other side of my family.

Forty years later, and after years of begging and assurances that I would inherit the collection, my Uncle showed up last month with the knives.

Included:

WW I trench knife
2 head hunting knives
An amputation set from the Civil War

I think there are a total of 12-15 knives, all at least a hundred years old.

I haven't had a chance to really value it, but at some stage I want to mount them in some kind of lockable display case.

datachicane
12-29-11, 10:35 PM
I've got a set of very cool hardbound Autodromo Nazionale Monza yearbooks covering years 1963-1968, no idea what (if anything) they're worth. Picked them up at a garage sale back in the early '80s for 50 cents each.

Other assorted weirdness that may or may not have any value:

Original movie posters for Ralph Bakshi's 'Wizards' and Pink Floyd 'The Wall'

A large original 1965 Monterey Jazz Festival poster

Huge (48x60" IIRC) STP promotional poster, painting of Richard Petty's 1974 Dodge at speed commemorating his 5th Daytona win

This victory backdrop, still sticky with champagne when I picked it up from the Global Event Group yard sale a couple of years ago:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KgH2Pz4sB6s/Tv0gqKdZIyI/AAAAAAAAEB8/mVdd_dbZhI8/s400/PDX_2004.jpg

A couple thousand vintage scenic View-Master reels, and at least one of each bakelite viewer (racing content includes various '60s vintage F1, sports car, and champcar reels)

Unobtainium dealer option removable hardtop for '65-68 Mustang convertibles

A bunch of other assorted crap, vintage slot cars, first edition books, bootlegs, etc., my wife would like to see me get rid of :gomer:

Ziggy
12-29-11, 10:50 PM
I had the front flippers off Janet Guthries rookie car, the one in which she failed to qualify. I gave them away when I moved.

I have tons of **** that is worthless

Thanks TOny

Lux Interior
12-29-11, 10:54 PM
I have a WW2 German bayonet including the metal sheath and the serial numbers on the sheath match the one's on the blade. My old man was in WW2 and he got it when they cleaned out a POW camp after the war ended. I'll try to post a pic it's awesome.

He had a whole box of German stuff but when we moved in 1975 my dad sold it at our garage sale.:cry:

He had taken the bayonet out of the box because he didn't want me getting ahold of it so it thankfully was not sold.

Andrew Longman
12-29-11, 11:11 PM
I have a silk 37 star flag I bought for a dollar at a yard sale when I was 9-years old.

Kinda like this but about 2' x 3'. http://jeffbridgman.com/inventory/index.php?page=out&id=553

Unusual for the size (most flags at that time where either huge for use on a ship or small for hand held use)

Also unusual for having 5 rows of 6 stars and 1 of 7. Most had 2 of 8 with 3 of 7.

Other than that I have a house full of crap.

G.
12-30-11, 01:26 AM
A couple of old guns (not very rare), an old Motorola Startac, and my wife.

None of which are worth much. :D

Two original bauhaus chairs (signed, serial numbers), a very cool Asian painting on a wood panel, sealed in plexiglass. Don't know how much that is worth, but considering the provenance, it is probably substantial. Wish we could get the other one...

Nothing of value from racing (to anyone else). Michael and Mario's autograph on the same hero card. Tried to get Marco's on it as well, but he came in 2nd in the kart race, so he was crying in the trailer. :cry:

SteveH
12-30-11, 01:26 AM
My grandfather was in WW I, I have several bound books of postcards of cities in France showing the devastation from the war. In perfect condition.

TravelGal
12-30-11, 02:03 AM
Back in the 70's (as in, I was much younger and you'll see what that's important), I spent about 10 days watching preseason games at Al Lopez field in Tampa. The last day or so I decided to ask some of the guys to autograph the program from that day. Got most of the Big Red Machine. Bench, Rose, Perez, Morgan, Concepcion, even down to Bill Plummer. The coup, to me, however, was getting Al Michaels. He always was a prig about that sort of stuff but when I told him we loved his ACC basketball coverage, he softened. For one thing, he knew I actually knew who he was as he walked off the field. He signed; we chatted ever so briefly about the difficulty of finding work in the baseball off season and whoosh he was gone. The program is worth nothing to a collector though. It was tattered by the time I stuck it in the guys' faces.

I have a Martha Washington desk that an antique dealer said he'd "take off my hands" for $500 about 25 years ago. That might fetch something. ?? My father found it in some antique store in the 1960's and had it authentically and professional refinished. Probably by Martha's brother.

As for racing, I never collected much. There's a Joel Camathias key chain, handed to me by Joel himself, still sitting on my desk. Oh, and a CART pin from the early days. Though I don't know which year. Still have all my passes and lanyards hanging on the back of the office door. I can't even think about it. I get too sad.

TravelGal
12-30-11, 02:04 AM
My grandfather was in WW I, I have several bound books of postcards of cities in France showing the devastation from the war. In perfect condition.

I am positive that those are worth something. Particularly if there are any people in them anywhere in the scene. In a former life, I used to spend a lot of time at post card shows.

Spicoli
12-30-11, 02:09 AM
I have some parts of a pink car that crashed at RA. Her names on it and everything. Anyone think it's worth anything?

I have me dads ND class ring. And a pic of my dad with Mario, PLN and me.

A bunch of ski racing schtuff, .@including a jacket from the 1980 world cup races at aspen :thumbup:

A ton of champ car stuff including about 40 officials shirts, pins, artwork, cogs, etc.

Like everyone else, might be worth something, likely not much.

THaNKS Tony you stupid goob.:flame:

SteveH
12-30-11, 03:04 AM
I have the complete first season of Race Car Driver on DVD, unopened.

Unopend box of F1 trading cards from VROOM, Pro Tracks 1991 season.

Legends of Indy II Complete racing collector card set. 100 cards, unopened.

Andretti Racing 100 premium collector's cards, unopened from Collect-a-Card Races from 1956 - 1991, Mario, Micheal, Jeff and John

Indy 500 trading cards by SkyBox, unopened. 36 packs of 8 cards each. Unsure of the year, shows Jacues in a Players uniform.

All World Racing Set 100 trading cards, unsure of date. Shows little Al on the box wearing a white Valvoline hat and a white drivers suit with Kraco on it.

Oh yeah, an unopned copy of Driven on DVD :D

Not looking to sell just curious as to the value.

SteveH
12-30-11, 03:05 AM
I am positive that those are worth something. Particularly if there are any people in them anywhere in the scene. In a former life, I used to spend a lot of time at post card shows.

I'll post some picutres over the weekend.

Ziggy
12-31-11, 09:32 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-CART-JACQUES-VILLENEUVE-INDY-500-TEAM-GREEN-CHAMPIONSHIP-RING-/350518273883?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519c84675b

RTKar
12-31-11, 04:16 PM
A bunch of stuff, from old furniture and dishes to racing related things like old programs from the 60's & 70's. I had some my families old home movie footage from the Milwaukee Mile in the 60's transferred to disc. It's pretty cool with rear engine cars and early front engine Indy cars. I wish there was more of it. I also have a WW2 photo album from a great uncle who was a mechanic for a fighter squadron in the Pacific. There are some great photos of pilots & planes with names. Also there's an old mission report labeled "confidential". Fortuantely I still have my old baseball cards and hot wheels from the 60's.

Michaelhatesfans
12-31-11, 09:13 PM
An assload of F1 diecasts, some rarer than others, but nothing to retire on.

The one I get a kick out of seeing on the shelf is the Mika Salo BAR "zipper car." Mika salo was at Portland as a guest of Kalkhoven/Pollock (well, he was there because they were about to axe Papis, but that's beside the point). I had Mika sign one side and Craig Pollock signed the other side. I was just going to have Mika sign it, but he was so excited when he saw it that he ran inside the transporter to get Pollock. Pollock took one look and announced, "That car cost me a lot of bloody money!" I told him that I had spent less than fifty dollars on it, but it was my own money. He seemed to see the funny side of it, but I could be wrong!;)

WickerBill
12-31-11, 10:35 PM
I have a German cherub shelf clock that has a service tag on it dated June 1899. I know nothing about it other than it is ornate and I like it.

nrc
01-02-12, 12:53 AM
Service tag like "This clock repaired by Johann Gambolputty June 1899?"

WickerBill
01-02-12, 01:39 PM

Err, yeah. Don't know the exact name, but that's what it says. It is all boxed up because I need to repair its shelf before I put it back up.

datachicane
01-02-12, 07:33 PM

The forgotten German Baroque genius?

WickerBill
01-02-12, 07:35 PM
Had to look it up to get the joke. :p

Methanolandbrats
01-02-12, 07:40 PM
I have an Indy F1 ticket autographerd by Tony George. :gomer:

Spicoli
01-02-12, 11:36 PM
I have an Indy F1 ticket autographerd by Tony George. :gomer:

You could probably sell it to him. He likes stuff like that.:tony:

nrc
01-02-12, 11:39 PM
Had to look it up to get the joke. :p

I was seriously curious about the tag, that's just the name that occurred to me. The short version anyway. :)

If it was serviced in 1899 then it was old enough to have broken by then.

cameraman
01-03-12, 03:04 AM
If it was serviced in 1899 then it was old enough to have broken by then.

There was no bubble wrap in 1899 so it could have easily been damaged in a move. At least that is what happened to our regulator clock in a move across town in 1884. It was only two years old. At least that's what the paperwork in the envelope attached to the back of the clock says...